PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Solved.. Tomlin fired BA not Rooney!!!

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Timeline:

1) Season ending presser on Jan 9th... intended to bring BA back.

2) Caldwell gets canned on the 18th. and over the next 24 hours the rumors of BA not returning start to circulate:

There has been a lot of speculation over the last 24 hours if indeed Bruce Arians will return as The Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator in 2012 and it was fueled further by a report late on Wednesday by Gerry Dulac stating that he had learned that Arians might not be back next season. Art Rooney II told Bob Pompeani in a one-on-one interview on KDKA this evening that the decision to keep Arians or not is one that head coach Mike Tomlin will make. Mr. Rooney told Pompeani, “Well, that’s really Mike’s decision, I mean, and that’s the process Mike’s involved in right now is talking to all of the coaches about where they are and where they are with their contracts, so I think that’s something – I’ll leave it to those guys to kind of work out where we’re going on that front.”

3) BA is fired on the 21st... No emasculation, no step and fetch it, no Tomlin is on the hot seat... just a guy doing his job.

Tomlin then interviews Caldwell and realizes "this old dude really sucks." Haley impresses and is hired.

Has anyone else brought this time line up or does the "Tomlin emasculated story" make for better drama? Freaking hacks...

:Boobs Whoomp!! There it is! :Boobs Whoomp!! There it is! :Boobs

Oviedo
02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Timeline:

1) Season ending presser on Jan 9th... intended to bring BA back.

2) Caldwell gets canned on the 18th. and over the next 24 hours the rumors of BA not returning start to circulate:

There has been a lot of speculation over the last 24 hours if indeed Bruce Arians will return as The Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator in 2012 and it was fueled further by a report late on Wednesday by Gerry Dulac stating that he had learned that Arians might not be back next season. Art Rooney II told Bob Pompeani in a one-on-one interview on KDKA this evening that the decision to keep Arians or not is one that head coach Mike Tomlin will make. Mr. Rooney told Pompeani, “Well, that’s really Mike’s decision, I mean, and that’s the process Mike’s involved in right now is talking to all of the coaches about where they are and where they are with their contracts, so I think that’s something – I’ll leave it to those guys to kind of work out where we’re going on that front.”

3) BA is fired on the 21st... No emasculation, no step and fetch it, no Tomlin is on the hot seat... just a guy doing his job.

Tomlin then interviews Caldwell and realizes "this old dude really sucks." Haley impresses and is hired.

Has anyone else brought this time line up or does the "Tomlin emasculated story" make for better drama? Freaking hacks...

:Boobs Whoomp!! There it is! :Boobs Whoomp!! There it is! :Boobs

It's about the drama. Tomlin is too well respected for anyone, especially the Rooneys, to try to diminish in any way. Not seeing eye to eye is not diminishing anyone and changing your mind doesn't make you less of a coach. if anything analyzing input and changing your mind to create a better situation makes you a better coach

BradshawsHairdresser
02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
And yesterday, Art II made it clear that hiring Haley was all Tomlin's decision, not his. Even sounded as though he was a bit surprised that Haley was the choice.

But that doesn't make for as much drama, so the media hacks have got to make it look like Rooney pulled the strings on the hiring.

RKSteel
02-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Drama sells, verifying facts does not.

Eich
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
To me, I thought it was clear that:

Tomlin WANTED Arians back. He told Arians that and he told the PUBLIC that!
Rooney did not want Arians back and told Tomlin to move in another direction.
Tomlin then lets Arians go by not renewing his contract.
Tomlin then interviews new candidates and decidese on Haley.

Seriously, are we supposed to believe that Tomlin just had a change of heart on Arians without any nudging from Rooney?

D Rock
02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Tomlin: I would like to keep Bruce here. Our passing attack has been pretty good and Ben really likes working with him.

Rooney: Really? I think we can do better. Our offense has never been consistent with him here and Ben continues to get killed week in and week out. We really had trouble scoring points last year and Bruce doesn't make adjustments very well.

Tomlin: You know, you're right. He really isn't the best coach for this team. I'll find someone better.

It's called a business meeting. Ideas are presented and discussed, then a plan of action is formed.

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 02:02 PM
To me, I thought it was clear that:

Tomlin WANTED Arians back. He told Arians that and he told the PUBLIC that!
Rooney did not want Arians back and told Tomlin to move in another direction.
Tomlin then lets Arians go by not renewing his contract.
Tomlin then interviews new candidates and decidese on Haley.

Seriously, are we supposed to believe that Tomlin just had a change of heart on Arians without any nudging from Rooney?

Caldwell was let go on the 18th and the rumors of BA not returning were released the same day. If you can't see the connection between these 2 events it's because you don't want to.

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Tomlin: I would like to keep Bruce here. Our passing attack has been pretty good and Ben really likes working with him.

Rooney: Really? I think we can do better. Our offense has never been consistent with him here and Ben continues to get killed week in and week out. We really had trouble scoring points last year and Bruce doesn't make adjustments very well.

Tomlin: You know, you're right. He really isn't the best coach for this team. I'll find someone better.

It's called a business meeting. Ideas are presented and discussed, then a plan of action is formed.

Were you in the room or do you always make up conversations in your head? :wink:

I'm sure Tomlin and Rooney met to discuss this but I doubt Rooney saw Caldwell's firing as a reason to move in his direction.

Tomlin and Caldwell have a history... the swirling rumors of BA not being resigned on the same day Caldwell was fired is an obvious smoking gun.

D Rock
02-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Were you in the room or do you always make up conversations in your head? :wink:

I'm sure Tomlin and Rooney met to discuss this but I doubt Rooney saw Caldwell's firing as a reason to move in his direction.

Tomlin and Caldwell have a history... the swirling rumors of BA not being resigned on the same day Caldwell was fired is an obvious smoking gun.

I tend to talk to myself a lot. Playing the role of other characters usually makes the day more interesting.

I actually don't think the Caldwell thing had anything to do with Arians not being re-signed. I think the Steelers decision makers....yes, plural...got together and decided it was time for some new blood. The timing was coincidence in my opinion because Caldwell was not ultimately hired.

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 03:58 PM
[quote="D Rock":2jc17tge]Tomlin: I would like to keep Bruce here. Our passing attack has been pretty good and Ben really likes working with him.

I tend to talk to myself a lot. Playing the role of other characters usually makes the day more interesting.

I actually don't think the Caldwell thing had anything to do with Arians not being re-signed. I think the Steelers decision makers....yes, plural...got together and decided it was time for some new blood. The timing was coincidence in my opinion because Caldwell was not ultimately hired.[/quote:2jc17tge]

Rooney said he was surprised Tomlin went with Haley... which to me implies Caldwell was Tomlin's guy before the interviews.

I think it's too much of a coincidence for the BA firing rumors to circulate on the same evening Caldwell was fired... then Tomlin is seen out with Caldwell a week later?

squidkid
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
And yesterday, Art II made it clear that hiring Haley was all Tomlin's decision, not his. Even sounded as though he was a bit surprised that Haley was the choice.

But that doesn't make for as much drama, so the media hacks have got to make it look like Rooney pulled the strings on the hiring.

and i can assume rooney new he made tomlin look like a fool by going over his head and firing BA and then hiring haley, so he makes this public statement to make it seem that tomlin was the one calling the shots the whole time...................eh, who knows how it really went down? none of us thats for sure

Steel Life
02-17-2012, 06:19 PM
I think Clements was the guy before he was promoted by GB, then Haley became the best of the remaining candidates.

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 06:24 PM
If Haley doesn't work out Tomlin really looks like a fool for being made to look like he hired Haley.

I also heard that Tomlin has to go across the street to use the bathroom at the gas station and isn't allowed to stand while peeing.

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 06:34 PM
I think Clements was the guy before he was promoted by GB, then Haley became the best of the remaining candidates.

I think the Steelers knew Clements wasn't available from the jump. Clements was a pipe dream at best. We all knew he was next in line at GB once the OC went to Miami.

The timing of the BA firing is directly linked to Caldwell. I just think Haley impressed Tomlin in a way that was similar to Tomlin impressing the Rooneys.

hawaiiansteel
02-17-2012, 08:19 PM

:D :lol:

steelfin
02-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Who cares who fired him...the point is that he is gone....

williar
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
I have a hard time believing that Tomlin relegated himself to a spectator while two of the most important decisions during his tenure were being made. Tomlin's a smart guy. He knows his value. He also is a master a playing possum with the media. He gives the media nothing to chew on while watching them run around trying to conjure up a story.

Tomlin looked like the happiest guy in the room during Haley's press conference. Sure, he put up a good front like he was all in with Arians but as soon as he saw that train coming he quickly got out of its the way.

flippy
02-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Think about the end game here.

To achieve success, Tomlin needs Ben. And Ben needs Tomlin.

Tomlin probably kept Arians around longer than he wanted to keep Ben happy. And he just got frustrated and had enough. So he decided it was time to part ways.

In order to maintain the best working relationship with Ben, he uses Rooney as the scapegoat. Rooney doesn't care. It's in the best interest of the team for Tomlin and Ben to have a great relationship.

Rooney emasculating Tomlin is the story Tomlin wants reported. It helps his relationship with the players.

If you haven't figured out yet that Tomlin is one of the most brilliant guys in the NFL when it comes to manipulating the media, you haven't been playing close enough attention.

Tomlin's simply using Rooney for aircover to come out looking like the good guy.

Captain Lemming
02-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Think about the end game here.

To achieve success, Tomlin needs Ben. And Ben needs Tomlin.

Tomlin probably kept Arians around longer than he wanted to keep Ben happy. And he just got frustrated and had enough. So he decided it was time to part ways.

In order to maintain the best working relationship with Ben, he uses Rooney as the scapegoat. Rooney doesn't care. It's in the best interest of the team for Tomlin and Ben to have a great relationship.

Rooney emasculating Tomlin is the story Tomlin wants reported. It helps his relationship with the players.

If you haven't figured out yet that Tomlin is one of the most brilliant guys in the NFL when it comes to manipulating the media, you haven't been playing close enough attention.

Tomlin's simply using Rooney for a cover to come out looking like the good guy.

While EVERYTHING in this thread including this is pure speculation, I must say Flippy I also have come to a similar conclusion that this is VERY possibly what happened.

Of interest is the fact that Rooney credits Tomlin with the "hire" but not the "fire", which plays into the scenario you provide perfectly. The Arians has to go may have been a shared opinion but Rooney can play the part of the big bad meanie who wielded the ax.

calmkiller
02-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Who cares who fired him. Hes gone. Move on.