PDA

View Full Version : Draft Guys what do you think about?

Mo_Steel
02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Cordarro Law - Southern Miss 6'2" 254 showing as a DE, OLB is there a chance this guy could be moved to inside LB many of the reports talk about how athletic he is and his measurables show him at a good ht/wt to play the inside.

I see him ranked 297, 346, 320 but his writeups and game footage looks like he could do well.

2011 CONFERENCE USA FIRST TEAM (COACHES): DL-Cordarro Law, Sr., Southern Miss, has been selected All-Conference USA First Team for the 2011 college football season as selected by the league's 12 head football coaches. Law posted 17.5 tackles for loss and a team-high 7.5 sacks for the Golden Eagles in 2011. - Southern Miss football

Would like to see what others think I think he could be a late round selection if we don't get some of our first options at LB.

Mo_Steel
02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Here's a recap of conference with Mayock on the upcoming Combine.

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=2069

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I actually have another Southern Miss LB, Korey Williams, as the last pick in my mock (one of the two 7th round comp picks that we are projected to receive). Unlike Law, we wouldn't have to worry about whether or not he would be able to transfer over to inside backer, since ILB is his natural position. He looked to be mid-round pick until an ACL tear in late September ended his senior season. He has also had other injury concerns in the past (sports hernia during his junior year and broken jaw during his freshman year). I think he could potentially provide solid depth at ILB for us if he is over his injuries.

Shawn
02-16-2012, 11:57 AM
This is just my opinion but I can see old school thinking about the inside linebacker position changing. In the new NFL, you need linebackers who can cover slot WRs and very athletic TEs. I have a certain fondness for the Kirklands, but I believe they are a dying breed. The inside thumpers are needing to move way for the dual athletic inside linebackers. The new breed of inside linebacker needs to be able to cover and run stop. It allows D's to be more versatile, and it keeps teams like the Patriots from being able to cripple a D with package schemes. If you have athletic linebackers who can cover, you are not forced to go to nickle and dime packages. You are not forced to play players who are 3-5th on the depth chart. You don't have to take your best players off the field.

So, I am not sold on picking a player just because he knows the ILB position. Personally, I would rather convert oversized SS's or athletic OLBs instead of holding to a traditional thumper ILB.

Oviedo
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
This is just my opinion but I can see old school thinking about the inside linebacker position changing. In the new NFL, you need linebackers who can cover slot WRs and very athletic TEs. I have a certain fondness for the Kirklands, but I believe they are a dying breed. The inside thumpers are needing to move way for the dual athletic inside linebackers. The new breed of inside linebacker needs to be able to cover and run stop. It allows D's to be more versatile, and it keeps teams like the Patriots from being able to cripple a D with package schemes. If you have athletic linebackers who can cover, you are not forced to go to nickle and dime packages. You are not forced to play players who are 3-5th on the depth chart. You don't have to take your best players off the field.

So, I am not sold on picking a player just because he knows the ILB position. Personally, I would rather convert oversized SS's or athletic OLBs instead of holding to a traditional thumper ILB.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Drafting players to fit into the template of our scheme does not solve the relaities of the where the NFL is now and where it is going because the passing is not going away and it is going to look more and more like college spread passing attacks. You need more Timmons and less Footes. Run stuffers aren't essential. How many teams get beat by the run?

While everyone just wants to assume I don't like LeBeau nothing could be further from the truth. I have just been frustrated that we have not seemed to be adjusting to the changing NFL on defense. We run a stop the run first defense and take joy in stats about how good we are but passing is what is winning games and getting teams to the play offs. A defense to beat those teams needs to attck the QB oriented not stop the run.

Be honest. We all watch every game. How many of us can't predict exactly what Harrison and Woodley are going to do with at least an 80% accuracy on every play. You don't think the opposing teams can't either? We need to shake things up on defense and be the innovators for the next major paradigm change in defense. I've just never been confident that LeBeau wants to lead the next great change.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 01:12 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Drafting players to fit into the template of our scheme does not solve the relaities of the where the NFL is now and where it is going because the passing is not going away and it is going to look more and more like college spread passing attacks. You need more Timmons and less Footes. Run stuffers aren't essential. How many teams get beat by the run?

While everyone just wants to assume I don't like LeBeau nothing could be further from the truth. I have just been frustrated that we have not seemed to be adjusting to the changing NFL on defense. We run a stop the run first defense and take joy in stats about how good we are but passing is what is winning games and getting teams to the play offs. A defense to beat those teams needs to attck the QB oriented not stop the run.

Be honest. We all watch every game. How many of us can't predict exactly what Harrison and Woodley are going to do with at least an 80% accuracy on every play. You don't think the opposing teams can't either? We need to shake things up on defense and be the innovators for the next major paradigm change in defense. I've just never been confident that LeBeau wants to lead the next great change.

In 2010, LeBeau's defense was #1 against the run and #12 against the pass.

In 2011, LeBeau's defense was #1 against the pass and #8 against the run.

Nah...he's old and stuck in his ways and will never adapt. :roll:

Mo_Steel
02-16-2012, 04:16 PM

I do like Shawn's thinking here. I was actually thinking they play Troy down in the box if he could do it.
I do think it will take some creative folks to come up with the next item to be copied/mimicked, as it usually goes in the NFL.

Mo_Steel
02-16-2012, 04:16 PM

I do like Shawn's thinking here. I was actually thinking they play Troy down in the box if he could do it.
I do think it will take some creative folks to come up with the next item to be copied/mimicked, as it usually goes in the NFL.

focosteeler
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM

Zach Brown from North Carolina is your athletic freak this year in my opinion. ILB, 6'1" 236lbs they say he runs a 4.3 in the 40....I do know that he holds the school record in the 60m sprint for UNC

Mo_Steel
02-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Zach Brown from North Carolina is your athletic freak this year in my opinion. ILB, 6'1" 236lbs they say he runs a 4.3 in the 40....I do know that he holds the school record in the 60m sprint for UNC

That is some freakish speed if that is the case. That is in the Mike Wallace territory. :shock:

TallyStiller
02-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Wonder if the Steelers were talking with Shea McClellin from Boise at the Senior Bowl with ILB in mind... he played ILB, OLB, and DE in 3 and 4 man fronts there, and torched Cordy Glenn in the Georgia game. He measured 6'3" 248 in Mobile, meaning that he's too small to play DE, doesn't project to be the fastest 40 in the draft at LB, but was a guy who just made plays all over the field. Sounds like a Steeler kind of player, and one who could be had in round 3 rather than 1.

AkronSteel
02-20-2012, 11:58 PM

Kirkland was actually one hell of a coverage LB in his early years in Pittsburgh!!! It wasn't till 97-98 that he really ballooned up and couldn't cover RB's and TE's. I actually feel that the team could go either way but just to play devil's advocate. Two of the last four teams playing this year had thumpers in the middle (Ray Ray and Patrick Willis). I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers take a look at David Hawthorne from Seattle. He is a 4-3 OLB that could make the switch to ILB in the 3-4. He reminds me a lot of Farrior a few years back. Just my thoughts!!

Mo_Steel
02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
I too love Hawthorne's production, however the Steelers cap issues will probably keep us out of any big free agent signings. :tt2

Chadman
02-21-2012, 05:56 AM
Nigel Bradham.

FSU.

That is all.

steelblood
02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Zach Brown has more athleticism and skill than any other linebacker available. Unfortunately, he does not like to take on FBs and OL and often tries to run around folks instead of filling the hole. If he was more physical at the POA, he'd probably be a sure fire top ten pick with a chance of sneaking into the top 5.

Shawn
02-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Kirkland was actually one hell of a coverage LB in his early years in Pittsburgh!!! It wasn't till 97-98 that he really ballooned up and couldn't cover RB's and TE's. I actually feel that the team could go either way but just to play devil's advocate. Two of the last four teams playing this year had thumpers in the middle (Ray Ray and Patrick Willis). I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers take a look at David Hawthorne from Seattle. He is a 4-3 OLB that could make the switch to ILB in the 3-4. He reminds me a lot of Farrior a few years back. Just my thoughts!!

I'm certainly not saying you can't be successful with a traditional thumper especially when they are elite players. What I am saying is that the DC needs to have a eye for the future of the league. And where teams are going is arial assault. Teams can't afford to keep 4 legit DBs. And you want to keep your best players on the field as long as you can. The solution is a type of hybrid DB/LB...much in the image of Troy and Timmons. Both guys can cover and can stop the run.

Having athletic, quick LBrs who can cover keeps the Bellichicks from being able to get your best players off the field with his package schemes. It also allows a D to be able to look for the run without having to sacrifice much in the way of pass D.

I believe Tomlin sees this and is moving in this direction. The LBrs drafted under Tomlin have been the more athletic versatile types, rather than pure blitzers, or thumpers. I believe this is a wise move.

flippy
02-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Along this line of thinking, what about looking at a guy like Sean Spence from Miami. He played LB in college, but he's the size of a safety.

A little bigger guy with some athleticism and versatility could be Ronnell Lewis from OU.

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2012, 11:20 AM

I also mentioned Hawthorne a few weeks ago in one of the under-the-radar free agent threads. Good call.