PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Combine MOCK DRAFT

StarSpangledSteeler
02-15-2012, 04:09 PM
I believe our three biggest needs are: OG, NT, ILB (in that order). And we should leave this draft with three potential starters at those positions.

1.24 - Cordy Glenn LG (Georgia).

2.24 - Bobby Wagner ILB (Utah St)

3.24 - Josh Chapman NT (Alabama)

4.24 - Brandon Brooks RG (Miami OH)

5.24 - Winston Guy SS (Kentucky)

6.24 - Tauren Poole RB (Tennessee)

7.24 - George Bryan TE (NC State)

UDFA - Patrick Witt QB (Yale)

--------------------------------------------------------

Glenn (LG)- Some say Glenn might not be available when we pick, but that’s what many said about Bulaga (2010) and Sherrod (2011). I believe after the combine, a few speed guys will rise, pushing Glenn down to 1.24. He is an instant starter at LG and a back up at 3 other OL positions. Good character. Good level of competition. (Allows us to cut Kemo.)

Wagner (ILB)- I believe Wagner showed himself to be the best ILB at the senior bowl and his stock will rise even further after the combine. The guy is absolutely shredded at 240. He is quick with great instincts. Defends the pass and run equally well. By mid season he could be rotating with Farrior/Foote, and then starting in 2013. (Allows us to cut Foote or Farrior.)

Chapman (NT) - Chapman is a second round talent that will probably drop to the third due to major knee surgery. Very very strong kid. Same size as Hampton coming out of college. Stays very low to the ground. Anchors as well as any NT in the draft. Not a project. Has played 3-4 NT in the top defense in college. Should be rotating with McClendon/Hood by mid season, starting in 2013. (Allows us to cut Hampton.)

Brooks (RG) - I just don’t see the point in drafting a “light” RG. To handle a bull rush from: Ngata, Cody, Taylor, Rubin, even Peko and Atkins, you need some serious sand. Brooks moves well at 345. Not only can he anchor, he can move the pile forward in short yardage and goal line. Draft Brooks and watch how much our run game improves. I think regaining control of the line of scrimmage is our top priority this year.

Guy (S) - Guy is flying under the radar on most draft boards. He was extremely productive playing against top SEC competition. Very tough strong kid. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Clark. Tackles very well. Is a little better suited for strong safety, but is decent in coverage too. Instant special teamer. Back up safety. (Allows us to cut W. Allen)

Poole (RB) - The best all around RB at the East West Shrine game in my opinion. Good power. Good speed. Good reading ability. Good cutback. Good hands. Good blocker. Redman will be our starter in 2012. I hope Batch recovers as our 3rd down back, but if not, I could see Poole taking that spot (or even rotating with Redman on 2nd down).

Bryan (TE) - Bryan is a perfect Steeler fit. Probably the best blocking TE in the draft, but he also has very solid hands and decent short area quickness. I see him as a #2 TE behind Heath with Saunders at the #3 (when he returns). And I believe he could contribute right away as a special teams blocker.

Witt (QB) - What do we really hope for out of a late round/UDFA QB? Honestly? If we can get a guy who is smart and accurate with good arm strength, I’d take him. Witt has the highest completion percentage in the IVY league for the last 2 years. 6‘2, 225, and can scramble a little. Low risk high reward prospect. Practice squad this year. If he shows us something we add him to the roster.

steelblood
02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
You are right that Glenn could fall to us. I personally don't see it happening, but if it did, I'd be happy.

I'm liking Wagner more and more.

Chapman is an efficient player. He does not have growth potential to get much larger and still be effective. So, the Casey size comparisons may not be fair. He is a good value in the third if his knee checks out.

Nice job with the entire draft. THe only thing I'd like to see is a WR. I think this is a fantastic and deep WR draft. There will be good value picks all the way through.

BigRob
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
I like your mock. I only see two real issues with your picks and they are unrelated to the players.

#1 Chapman will be a second round pick. A 3-4 Defensive tackle needy team will take a flyer on Chapman at the end of the second round.

#2 Brooks will not be available in the 4th round. He is flying up the draft boards and will go in the 3rd round along with a lot of other good guard prospects like Lucas Nix, etc.. The 3rd round seems to be the place you can pick up a good starting guard in the NFL and their is always a run on them in the 3rd. Bank on it.

steelz09
02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
I like it... especially the top 3.

focosteeler
02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
You are right that Glenn could fall to us. I personally don't see it happening, but if it did, I'd be happy.

I'm liking Wagner more and more.

Chapman is an efficient player. He does not have growth potential to get much larger and still be effective. So, the Casey size comparisons may not be fair. He is a good value in the third if his knee checks out.

Nice job with the entire draft. THe only thing I'd like to see is a WR. I think this is a fantastic and deep WR draft. There will be good value picks all the way through.

:Agree

I dont see any need to use a high draft pick on a WR this year. I am interested in a guy named Brandon Bostick out of Newberry. 6' 4" 240lbs runs a 4.49-4.53. He set a single-game receiving yardage record in 2010 with 11 catches for 322 and three touchdowns. As of now he is a Late 7th or priority UDFA

steelerkeylargo
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Lauren Poole??? No thanks. Her brother Tauren....YES!!

StarSpangledSteeler
02-15-2012, 06:43 PM
I like your mock. I only see two real issues with your picks and they are unrelated to the players.

#1 Chapman will be a second round pick. A 3-4 Defensive tackle needy team will take a flyer on Chapman at the end of the second round.

#2 Brooks will not be available in the 4th round. He is flying up the draft boards and will go in the 3rd round along with a lot of other good guard prospects like Lucas Nix, etc.. The 3rd round seems to be the place you can pick up a good starting guard in the NFL and their is always a run on them in the 3rd. Bank on it.

In an earlier draft I had us taking Brandon Brooks OG in the 3rd round and Nic Jean-Baptiste NT in the 4th. I may go back to that. But since Brooks didn't get invited to the combine so I could see some other big athletic OG/OT combo guards rise into the 3rd and push him down a bit.

I disagree on Chapman being a sure fire 2nd round pick. Even pre-surgery he's only 6'1", 305, and has very limited pass rush moves (he's a clogger, not a penetrator). Add to it that ACL surgery is a major risk. Not that he won't play again but when he does his power and quickness could be diminished. A lot players drop multiple rounds after ACL. But we can agree to disagree on that. If he does fall to the 3rd I'm sure we'll both be excited.

I've noticed that your past posts prioritize OL (which I agree with). I would love to see us come out of this draft with 2 OL in our first 4 picks.

BigRob
02-15-2012, 07:27 PM
We can revisit Brooks come draft time, but I think he is a lock for the third round unless his measurables just suck.

Chapman played a good portion of the college season with a torn ACL. He was still majorly effective. A team will take a flyer on him in the late second or trade up to the first part of the third to get him.

If the damage was that severe, why would he continue to play on it? Also, he has shown a lot of toughness by playing on it.

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm also hoping to get Brooks in the 4th. He's improved his stock from a late round pick to a mid round pick at the East-West Shrine game. I'm hoping his stock doesn't continue rising to a day two guy...after all, he's coming from Miami of Ohio, and no quality NFL players have ever come out of that school (just ask williar and Dresden :wink: ).

Oviedo
02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I believe our three biggest needs are: OG, NT, ILB (in that order). And we should leave this draft with three potential starters at those positions.

1.24 - Cordy Glenn LG (Georgia).

2.24 - Bobby Wagner ILB (Boise St)

3.24 - Josh Chapman NT (Alabama)

4.24 - Brandon Brooks RG (Miami OH)

5.24 - Winston Guy SS (Kentucky)

6.24 - Tauren Poole RB (Tennessee)

7.24 - George Bryan TE (NC State)

UDFA - Patrick Witt QB (Yale)

--------------------------------------------------------

Glenn (LG)- Some say Glenn might not be available when we pick, but that’s what many said about Bulaga (2010) and Sherrod (2011). I believe after the combine, a few speed guys will rise, pushing Glenn down to 1.24. He is an instant starter at LG and a back up at 3 other OL positions. Good character. Good level of competition. (Allows us to cut Kemo.)

Wagner (ILB)- I believe Wagner showed himself to be the best ILB at the senior bowl and his stock will rise even further after the combine. The guy is absolutely shredded at 240. He is quick with great instincts. Defends the pass and run equally well. By mid season he could be rotating with Farrior/Foote, and then starting in 2013. (Allows us to cut Foote or Farrior.)

Chapman (NT) - Chapman is a second round talent that will probably drop to the third due to major knee surgery. Very very strong kid. Same size as Hampton coming out of college. Stays very low to the ground. Anchors as well as any NT in the draft. Not a project. Has played 3-4 NT in the top defense in college. Should be rotating with McClendon/Hood by mid season, starting in 2013. (Allows us to cut Hampton.)

Brooks (RG) - I just don’t see the point in drafting a “light” RG. To handle a bull rush from: Ngata, Cody, Taylor, Rubin, even Peko and Atkins, you need some serious sand. Brooks moves well at 345. Not only can he anchor, he can move the pile forward in short yardage and goal line. Draft Brooks and watch how much our run game improves. I think regaining control of the line of scrimmage is our top priority this year.

Guy (S) - Guy is flying under the radar on most draft boards. He was extremely productive playing against top SEC competition. Very tough strong kid. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Clark. Tackles very well. Is a little better suited for strong safety, but is decent in coverage too. Instant special teamer. Back up safety. (Allows us to cut W. Allen)

Poole (RB) - The best all around RB at the East West Shrine game in my opinion. Good power. Good speed. Good reading ability. Good cutback. Good hands. Good blocker. Redman will be our starter in 2012. I hope Batch recovers as our 3rd down back, but if not, I could see Poole taking that spot (or even rotating with Redman on 2nd down).

Bryan (TE) - Bryan is a perfect Steeler fit. Probably the best blocking TE in the draft, but he also has very solid hands and decent short area quickness. I see him as a #2 TE behind Heath with Saunders at the #3 (when he returns). And I believe he could contribute right away as a special teams blocker.

Witt (QB) - What do we really hope for out of a late round/UDFA QB? Honestly? If we can get a guy who is smart and accurate with good arm strength, I’d take him. Witt has the highest completion percentage in the IVY league for the last 2 years. 6‘2, 225, and can scramble a little. Low risk high reward prospect. Practice squad this year. If he shows us something we add him to the roster.

Excellent draft. If Glenn is gone then likely Konz will be available and we could take him to play Guard. I'd actually prefer Audie Cole over Wagner at ILB.

I'd also like Ganaway from Baylor over Poole. I think Ganaway will be a better Pro than college player.

Oviedo
02-15-2012, 08:19 PM
We can revisit Brooks come draft time, but I think he is a lock for the third round unless his measurables just suck.

Chapman played a good portion of the college season with a torn ACL. He was still majorly effective. A team will take a flyer on him in the late second or trade up to the first part of the third to get him.

If the damage was that severe, why would he continue to play on it? Also, he has shown a lot of toughness by playing on it.

Brooks was not invited to the combine so all he will get is his Pro Day and private workouts. He could slip because he is a pure Guard with no ability to slide outside and he is a project.

BigRob
02-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Brooks was not invited to the combine so all he will get is his Pro Day and private workouts. He could slip because he is a pure Guard with no ability to slide outside and he is a project.

Still won't be there at 4th round pick 24.

hawaiiansteel
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
I would love to see the draft unfold this way but unfortunately I don't think a lot of your players will still be there when the Steelers select.

MeetJoeGreene
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Dude! Epic Mock Draft. That is BEAST!

StarSpangledSteeler
02-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm also hoping to get Brooks in the 4th. He's improved his stock from a late round pick to a mid round pick at the East-West Shrine game. I'm hoping his stock doesn't continue rising to a day two guy...after all, he's coming from Miami of Ohio, and no quality NFL players have ever come out of that school (just ask williar and Dresden :wink: ).

Ha. I do think Brooks' pro day will be a factor. If he looks fat and runs slow, I could definitely see him slip to the late 4th round. And he hasn't played against a lot of elite competition. That does make some difference.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Ha. I do think Brooks' pro day will be a factor. If he looks fat and runs slow, I could definitely see him slip to the late 4th round. And he hasn't played against a lot of elite competition. That does make some difference.

I don't think you need to worry about him looking fat...all reports from the Shrine Game weigh-ins suggested that this guy carried 350+ pounds better than anyone they had ever seen. Just looking at pictures of him in uniform, it's hard to believe he weighs that much, since there does not appear to be any noticeable fat on him (particularly when compared to the beer guts on many of our currently linemen not named Pouncey).

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/82/824307.jpg
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/861/808/Picture3_display_image.png?1328017973
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/825/991/brandonbrooks_display_image.jpg?1327251951
http://www.azcentral.com/i/4/0/F/PHP4F1DA53058F04.jpg

BigRob
02-16-2012, 07:53 PM

I don't think you need to worry about him looking fat...all reports from the Shrine Game weigh-ins suggested that this guy carried 350+ pounds better than anyone they had ever seen. Just looking at pictures of him in uniform, it's hard to believe he weighs that much, since there does not appear to be any noticeable fat on him (particularly when compared to the beer guts on many of our currently linemen not named Pouncey).

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/82/824307.jpg
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/861/808/Picture3_display_image.png?1328017973
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/825/991/brandonbrooks_display_image.jpg?1327251951
http://www.azcentral.com/i/4/0/F/PHP4F1DA53058F04.jpg

I agree, it's wishful thinking that he is going to be available in the mid to late 4th. There will be a run on guards from the middle of the second to the early 4th round. Too many good interior lineman this year.