PDA

View Full Version : With all these restructures....

steelz09
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
I can't help but think the Steelers may be targeting someone as a FA. Possibly o-line or d-line?

We should be under the cap very shortly and we haven't even made the obvious cuts.

Even with the Wallace deal, I think we'll sign someone..

phillyesq
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure that the Steelers are clearing room for a signing. Not only do they need to get under the cap, they also need to clear room to tender their RFAs. They might still need to clear another $20 million just to operate.

Oviedo
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure that the Steelers are clearing room for a signing. Not only do they need to get under the cap, they also need to clear room to tender their RFAs. They might still need to clear another $20 million just to operate.

:Agree They would have to clear a whole lot more cap space to make a significant signing.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I can't help but think the Steelers may be targeting someone as a FA. Possibly o-line or d-line?

We should be under the cap very shortly and we haven't even made the obvious cuts.

We really aren't even close right now. With the tenders, future contracts, and 2012 dead money we are about 19 mil over 125 mil projection. Rule 51 still works out to about 12.5 mil over. I think there could be a possibility of a mid range target at maybe OL, DL, or ILB but I think it is more on the lines of creating room to negotiate & worst case scenario if they feel the need to tag Wallace. The tenders & tags will be higher numbers than a long term deal but the still need to fit them under the cap before they can start on negotiations.

The other reason is that projected cuts will create alot of dead money. The Steelers are almost at 3 mil now in dead money for 2012. They are hoping to hold out on cuts until June 1st to create some relief if they could. So the cuts will still have to be under the cap until then. Cutting Hampton, Smith, Allen, Kemo, Ward, and one of Farrior/Foote before June 1st saves about 18 mil. Cuting them after June 1st increases the savings for 2012. It's the dark side of the business in full swing for the Steelers come new league year. There is going to be alot of sad Steeler fans.

steelz09
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM

:Agree They would have to clear a whole lot more cap space to make a significant signing.

They'll get under the cap with these restructures alone. Add in the cuts and they'll be under enough to make a mid-range signing. I'm not saying a "significant" signing. I'm saying a signing that is juuusstttt significant enough that it will screw up just about everyone's mock draft thus far :)

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Keep in mind that other teams will have insane amounts to spend, while we are merely scraping just to get back to zero at this point. K.C., Tampa, and Cincy are all expected to have over $60 million in cap room. Denver's got over $50 million in cap room. Jacksonville and Washington have over $40 million in cap room. San Francisco and Atlanta have over $30 million in cap room. Even New England is $20 under the cap right now.

Even after the 3 restructures and 2 cuts, we are still the team that has the most work to do to get under the cap (projected to be still $11.7 million over). The only other teams above the cap with us right now are Oakland ($11 million over), Carolina ($9.6 million over), and the Giants ($7.3 million over).

These numbers came from ESPN's John Clayton just 2 days ago.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570116/nfl-plenty-cap-room-improve

We'll restructure a couple of more guys like Ben and Deebo, cut some veterans, maybe bring back a vet or two at a reduced rate, and likely will only have enough money to tender our RFA's, sign our draft picks, and hopefully work out a deal with Wallace. The only outside free agent signing that I could see happening would be on the Mewelde Moore level (such as bringing in someone like Jason Snelling to split carries with Redman while Mendenhall recovers from his ACL injury). No flashy signings at all (other than a Wallace extension, if we are able to get that done).

Dee Dub
02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
I was thinking this myself jhansle1. Bottom line if there is a guy the Steelers want out there they can and will get it done cap wise. I was hoping for NT Paul Soliai from Miami. Cut Casey Hampton and get a younger, better, NT who already plays in a 3-4.

Heyward--Soliai--Hood

:Cheers

SteelBucks
02-15-2012, 02:56 PM

I was thinking the same thing. From my wishlist, Ben Grubbs would be a nice FA addition to the o-line.

Dee Dub
02-15-2012, 03:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing. From my wishlist, Ben Grubbs would be a nice FA addition to the o-line.

Generally top flight O-lineman tend to be out of the Steelers price range, but, if you are going to go in that direction get Carl Nicks of the Saints. he's better than Grubb.

I think a guy to keep an eye on is ILB E.J. Henderson of the Vikings. He may come at a descent price due to is age (32 next season), and Tomlin is very familiar with him as he coached him when he was in Minnesota (D-coordinator 2006).

BigRob
02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
I was thinking this myself jhansle1. Bottom line if there is a guy the Steelers want out there they can and will get it done cap wise. I was hoping for NT Paul Soliai from Miami. Cut Casey Hampton and get a younger, better, NT who already plays in a 3-4.

Heyward--Soliai--Hood

We could only hope for a Soliai or Aubrayo Franklin. Alas, we have another 3-4 team in the league that needs a nose tackle and will have much more cap room. You have to remember that teams can roll over cap space to this year and give them that much more to work with.

Two teams that I would think make sense for Soliai are the Colts and Redskins.

I just don't see us signing any free agents to start here.

Oviedo
02-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Heyward--Soliai--Hood

We could only hope for a Soliai or Aubrayo Franklin. Alas, we have another 3-4 team in the league that needs a nose tackle and will have much more cap room. You have to remember that teams can roll over cap space to this year and give them that much more to work with.

Two teams that I would think make sense for Soliai are the Colts and Redskins.

I just don't see us signing any free agents to start here.

:Agree We are so screwed with the cap right now a FA signing is highly unlikely. Eventually we have to bite the bullet and get right cap wise. You can only go so long live on the edge of the cap. There is a day of reckoning that must eventually occur and you have to say good bye to veterans. IMO we are being way to cautious about letting some over 30 guys walk.

Either you have confidence you drafted good players and they can play or we have a much bigger problem. James Harrison was an after thought before they got him into the line up. We need to move forward and take a chance on some of these young players. Old saying: "Wait broke the wagon." We have been waiting too long.

SS Laser
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Just a question here. If there was still the old CBA, were would the CAP be? The Steelers were working on that number before the change in CBA. Should they have planned on that change. Maybe? But they did what had to be done to take them to 3 super bowls. I have faith they will contine to put good super bowl contenders on the field at this point.

papillon
02-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I still like trading Wallace to New England for their first and anything else you can get (or, tender Wallace with the first and if New England bites, let him go and get their first round pick), then package 1.24 with 2.56 move up to get Decastro around 12, 13 or 14 wherever you have to move to. That leaves the Steelers with 1.31 and 3.88, they should still be able to acquire good football players at those draft positions.

Just sayin... :tt2

Pappy

Oviedo
02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
I still like trading Wallace to New England for their first and anything else you can get (or, tender Wallace with the first and if New England bites, let him go and get their first round pick), then package 1.24 with 2.56 move up to get Decastro around 12, 13 or 14 wherever you have to move to. That leaves the Steelers with 1.31 and 3.88, they should still be able to acquire good football players at those draft positions.

Pappy

Good plan, but I would seriously consider keeping all the picks and using them to reload. You could still get a guy like Konz with one of the round 1 picks or Zeitler in Round 2. If we are really parting ways with so many veterans this off season we need the bodies to replace them.

Chadman
02-15-2012, 10:28 PM
You guys all talk as if the Steelers are cutting the heart out of the roster & will be plugging holes in the starting line-up with leftovers, draft picks & UDFA's.

Here's the thing- so far the Steelers have cut 2 players (McFadden & Battle) who played close to zero part in actual in-game playing time. They restructured Timmons, Ike & Woodley & look to be moving in that direction for Ben & Harrison.

They are contemplating cutting Ward, Hampton, Farrior, Foote, Will Allen, Aaron Smith & Jonathon Scott.

They lost Chris Hoke.

If the Steelers HAD to cut all the players listed, and add in Hoke, McFadden & Battle's removal, to get under the cap- tell Chadman how many STARTERS are removed from the line-up.

Let Chadman help you with that- 2.

Hampton & Farrior.

And we all, generally, accept that neither played at the level we expect from them last season.

So what will the Steelers lose if they do have to make drastic cuts to the roster?

Expensive, aged back-ups.

Let's just say they DO have to cut all these guys mentioned, there will be only 2 spots on the starting line-up that the team will need to focus on fixing to get them back to status quo from last season.

papillon
02-15-2012, 11:42 PM

Pappy

Good plan, but I would seriously consider keeping all the picks and using them to reload. You could still get a guy like Konz with one of the round 1 picks or Zeitler in Round 2. If we are really parting ways with so many veterans this off season we need the bodies to replace them.

I thought that at first as well, but then I got to thinking about the way Ben plays. He plays his worst when he's getting pressure directly in his face form the middle of the defense. DeCstro, based on everything that I've heard, is going to be a good to great guard in the NFL (a near can't miss). With him and Pouncey holding down the middle Ben will be more relaxed and a better quarterback.

Ben avoids the outside rush with great aplomb and then gets into the space vacated by the outside rusher and looks down field. I'm good with Ben avoiding the outside guys, but the inside guys bother him and give jittery feet and poor decision making. I still like trying to get DeCastro rather than hang on to 1.24, 1.31, 2.56 and 3.88, just my opinion.

Chances are the Steelers aren't even considering moving Wallace, but it's the off season and time to ramp the wild guesses and crazy schemes. :D

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
You guys all talk as if the Steelers are cutting the heart out of the roster & will be plugging holes in the starting line-up with leftovers, draft picks & UDFA's.

Here's the thing- so far the Steelers have cut 2 players (McFadden & Battle) who played close to zero part in actual in-game playing time. They restructured Timmons, Ike & Woodley & look to be moving in that direction for Ben & Harrison.

They are contemplating cutting Ward, Hampton, Farrior, Foote, Will Allen, Aaron Smith & Jonathon Scott.

They lost Chris Hoke.

If the Steelers HAD to cut all the players listed, and add in Hoke, McFadden & Battle's removal, to get under the cap- tell Chadman how many STARTERS are removed from the line-up.

Let Chadman help you with that- 2.

Hampton & Farrior.

And we all, generally, accept that neither played at the level we expect from them last season.

So what will the Steelers lose if they do have to make drastic cuts to the roster?

Expensive, aged back-ups.

Let's just say they DO have to cut all these guys mentioned, there will be only 2 spots on the starting line-up that the team will need to focus on fixing to get them back to status quo from last season.

The sky is falling up here in the Northern Hemisphere, but Chadman is shielded from that being down under and all. :wink: