PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger getting ready

fordfixer
02-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Roethlisberger getting ready for prime time
Believes he is entering the peak years of his NFL career, so he has started offseason workouts earlier

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12046/1210221-66.stm

Wednesday, February 15, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201202/ben0215a_500.jpg
Ben Roethlisberger: "... as you get to a certain point, a certain age in this football thing, your body doesn't recover like it used to."

Ben Roethlisberger already has adjusted his game, and it has nothing to do with old or new coordinators, old or new offenses, things Art Rooney did or did not say.

It has plenty to do with his 30th birthday March 2.

"That's why I'm working out already," Roethlisberger said.

He began training at the Steelers facility on the South Side last week, days after he returned from an extended Pro Bowl stay in Hawaii. He talked to coach Mike Tomlin about where he is in his career and about the future.

"When I talked to Mike, I said I don't know how much longer I have to play, no one does; it could be two years, three years, it could be eight years. Who knows?" Roethlisberger said during an extensive interview Thursday.

"I'm hoping that I'm just starting in my prime. I've already been working out with [Garrett Giemont], our strength coach, already. I've never worked out this early. It's not like high-intensity, out killing myself, but I'm working out, I want to come to camp lighter than I've ever come, in better shape, because as you get to a certain point, a certain age in this football thing, your body doesn't recover like it used to."

Roethlisberger sustained a number of injuries in 2011, including those to his foot and right shoulder as well as a broken right thumb and high left ankle sprain. He said his ankle feels fine, but he is working on healing his right shoulder, which needs to be strengthened because of the injury.

"I'm just waiting on my shoulder, it's the only thing left to get healed up," Roethlisbeger said. "That's the last thing."

But it was his ankle sprain that may have cost the Steelers most dearly. Roethlisberger played in the next game 11 days after the injury occurred against Cleveland Dec. 8, and the Steelers lost at San Francisco, 20-3. That cost them the No. 1 playoff seed in the AFC.

Tomlin did not use him against St. Louis Dec. 24, but Roethlisberger played in the finale at Cleveland. The Steelers won both games.

Against San Francisco, he threw for 330 yards but was intercepted three times and had his lowest passer rating of the season (52.3). He admitted the ankle hindered his play.

"I really felt there were a lot of plays I could have made had I been healthier. That was a little frustrating for me because I felt I could have done more to help the team."

Despite his various injuries along with those of many teammates, Roethlisberger threw for 4,077 yards, second most in his career. His 90.1 passer rating marked the sixth time in his eight seasons he has been in the 90s or higher.

"Last year, I felt really good about the year, even though we had our downfalls with injuries and stuff, but I feel like I'm coming into the prime of my career, what I hope will be my best years. So I want to make sure I'm ready to go. That's another reason I hope our offense doesn't change because I feel like I'm just ready to hit it full stride and go with this.

"If it does stay the same or if we need to tweak little things, I've already talked to the receivers; we're going to get together this offseason and do some stuff -- whether it's new stuff or old stuff, because we felt we were this close."

Watching 2004 draft classmate Eli Manning quarterback the New York Giants to their second Super Bowl victory in the past five seasons inspired him even more, Roethlisberger said.

"Now that Eli has tied me with his second, I have to try to get back up on him. So I have a little extra motivation."

For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus (http://www.post-gazette.com/plus). Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com and Twitter @EdBouchette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12046/12 ... z1mQeCJDfV (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12046/1210221-66.stm#ixzz1mQeCJDfV)

feltdizz
02-15-2012, 09:43 AM
I love that Eli tying Ben is pushing him but I'm getting tired of being "close" to greatness...

I know the expectations are unreal but as a fan I would love to see our O leave it all on the field from the first game to the last.

rpmpit
02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
I love that Eli tying Ben is pushing him but I'm getting tired of being "close" to greatness...

I know the expectations are unreal but as a fan I would love to see our O leave it all on the field from the first game to the last.

:Agree
The games where we are comfortably ahead by the 3rd quarter are few and far between. Ben seems to play better when we are trailing. And he feels pushed by Eli because he tied him?? How about just being pushed because your the qb of the Pittsburgh Steelers??? Does this concern anyone else?? 4th quarter comebacks are exciting as hell. But I'd like to see a few more games where we blow our opponents away. No one can say we aren't capable of this.

williar
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Well. I hope that light of immortality is shining brighter on Ben as he turns 30. It's hard to get too excited because we've heard this grandiose talk from him before during pre season. I really hope this guy positions himself to fulfill all of his greatness. I really do. Why? because he's a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Steelhere10
02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes, like being motivated after the SB loss.. Yea ok!

phillyesq
02-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear that he's working out already, and I'd have to imagine that shedding a few pounds and getting in better shape for camp could only help things.

I'd really like to see that he's working out with the QB coach that he worked with during his suspension.

feltdizz
02-15-2012, 11:15 AM

:Agree
The games where we are comfortably ahead by the 3rd quarter are few and far between. Ben seems to play better when we are trailing. And he feels pushed by Eli because he tied him?? How about just being pushed because your the qb of the Pittsburgh Steelers??? Does this concern anyone else?? 4th quarter comebacks are exciting as hell. But I'd like to see a few more games where we blow our opponents away. No one can say we aren't capable of this.

yep, just sounds like Ben isn't motivated unless there is something to prove.. unfortunately I think our whole team is like that as well. The D was amazing when Ben had the 4 game suspension and then it looked like they relaxed because Ben was back...

Same with the offense... the only time they are motivated is when they put up 3 or 4 stinkers and the D looks at them sideways.

I can't blame this team too much though.. every game vs the Steelers is someone's SB and we have had ton's of success. It would be nice to see some hunger from this team without needing chalk board talk or the media writing them off.

squidkid
02-15-2012, 11:34 AM
I have to believe that's what really sets these elite athletes apart when all is said and done. The true, all-time greats have this type of mentality from day one, the rest of the good players give a decent effort and rely mostly on ability to put up the numbers they do...........this is in all sports tho

Dee Dub
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Not surprised. You are a noted Ben hater. Instead of being happy that Ben is taking to his workouts early and dedicating himself to getting better, you have to take a shot.

When a person says "but" it usually means that one they didn't actually hear anything previous to that, or they do not actually believe what was said before the "but".

How can you say and admit the expectations are unreal then follow it up with another unreal expectation?

Show me one offense in the league that leaves it out on the field from the first game to the last? There isnt one. Never has been one. At some point in time they all sputter. Even the prolific ones like the 2011 Packers, the 18-1 Patriots, The Greatest show on Turf, etc., etc.

Felt, why dont you just man-up and admit that you can't stand Ben?

Dee Dub
02-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Well. I hope that light of immortality is shining brighter on Ben as he turns 30. It's hard to get too excited because we've heard this grandiose talk from him before during pre season. I really hope this guy positions himself to fulfill all of his greatness. I really do. Why? because he's a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Yeah..and it isnt like he has ever delivered, right? :roll:

Unbelievable.

I got news for you Chief, Ben has already been great. Sorry you were too busy hating to enjoy it.

Dee Dub
02-15-2012, 01:23 PM

So are you saying Ben wasnt motivated last year? That when he could barely walk how he willed himself to play wasnt showing motivation? This team hasnt seen this type of motivation from it's Qb since the days of Terry Bradshaw and all we can hear is the hate for Ben. Wow!!

Was Ben the one who couldnt stop Tim Tebow?

Sugar
02-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Well, he did have over 4K passing yards even with injuries and below average protection. I'd say he had a great year. If he's motivated by some peer pressure, all the better IMO.

SS Laser
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Well, he did have over 4K passing yards even with injuries and below average protection. I'd say he had a great year. If he's motivated by some peer pressure, all the better IMO.

:Agree Get it done BEN! :tt2

williar
02-15-2012, 03:03 PM

So are you saying Ben wasnt motivated last year? That when he could barely walk how he willed himself to play wasnt showing motivation? This team hasnt seen this type of motivation from it's Qb since the days of Terry Bradshaw and all we can hear is the hate for Ben. Wow!!

Ya think maybe an "elite" QB can motivate himself to outscore his opponent sometimes? Especially when half the defense was hurt in that game.

Dee Dub
02-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Ya think maybe an "elite" QB can motivate himself to outscore his opponent sometimes? Especially when half the defense was hurt in that game.

When you say elite do you mean like Tom Brady in this past Super Bowl? Or all the times Peyton Manning got outscored in the post season? How about Drew Brees not getting it done this year? Or Aaron Rodgers? Did you know that Steve Young won only 1 super bowl? That means all those other times he made the playoffs he was outscored by his opponents? Do we need to mention Dan Marino and all his post season fails?

Ben is 10-4 in the post season. That means not only does he sometimes outscore his opponents but he does about 72% of the time.

I will give it to you williar, unlike feltdizz, at least you make it be known about your hatred for Ben.

williar
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
[quote=Steelhere10]Yes, like being motivated after the SB loss.. Yea ok!

When you say elite do you mean like Tom Brady in this past Super Bowl? Or all the times Peyton Manning got outscored in the post season? How about Drew Brees not getting it done this year? Or Aaron Rodgers? Did you know that Steve Young won only 1 super bowl? That means all those other times he made the playoffs he was outscored by his opponents? Do we need to mention Dan Marino and all his post season fails?

Ben is 10-4 in the post season. That means not only does he sometimes outscore his opponents but he does about 72% of the time.

I will give it to you williar, unlike feltdizz, at least you make it be known about your hatred for Ben.[/quote:9n9rbmym]

No. Deedub. I'm saying stop hating on the defense. They can't let your beloved Ben off the hook EVERYTIME! Now can they? Don't you think the defense would love to get a break every now and then and have their elite QB carry them to victory....

What I'm saying is any QB worth his weight in salt should have been able to finish the game (against the broncos) off in regulation. What did we need about 10-15 yards to get in field goal range. But for some reason (Ben taking sacks and fumbling the football) we went backwards and never got a field goal attempt that could have won the game...

Defense should have never been back on the field, if you know what I'm saying.......

SS Laser
02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
I give Ben a pass in Denver. He was beat up! But he and the defence put us in place to go to over time. But the also beat up defence then dropped the ball and did not give Ben a chance in over time. TEAM LOSS.

Dee Dub
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
[quote=Steelhere10]Yes, like being motivated after the SB loss.. Yea ok!

I will give it to you williar, unlike feltdizz, at least you make it be known about your hatred for Ben.

No. Deedub. I'm saying stop hating on the defense. They can't let your beloved Ben off the hook EVERYTIME! Now can they? Don't you think the defense would love to get a break every now and then and have their elite QB carry them to victory....

What I'm saying is any QB worth his weight in salt should have been able to finish the game (against the broncos) off in regulation. What did we need about 10-15 yards to get in field goal range. But for some reason (Ben taking sacks and fumbling the football) we went backwards and never got a field goal attempt that could have won the game...

Defense should have never been back on the field, if you know what I'm saying.......[/quote:2ua1kdmo]

No that's not what you are saying. Now you are back tracking. 10-4 in the post season care to explain that?

How about the examples of post season failure I gave you from the well known elite QB's?

Can you explain (errrrrrrrrr twist), that?

Ghost
02-15-2012, 04:17 PM
All I got out of this was Ben hates Todd Haley....

Sugar
02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
All I got out of this was Ben hates Todd Haley....

:lol: :lol: :shock:

williar
02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Was Ben the one who couldnt stop Tim Tebow?[/quote]

Ya think maybe an "elite" QB can motivate himself to outscore his opponent sometimes? Especially when half the defense was hurt in that game.[/quote]

I will give it to you williar, unlike feltdizz, at least you make it be known about your hatred for Ben.[/quote]

Defense should have never been back on the field, if you know what I'm saying.......[/quote]

No that's not what you are saying. Now you are back tracking. 10-4 in the post season care to explain that?

How about the examples of post season failure I gave you from the well known elite QB's?

Can you explain (errrrrrrrrr twist), that?[/quote]

I know I didn't do quite as good a job as you do of (errrrrrrrrr twisting) and (errrrrrrrrrr manipulating post) so we'll just call it even....

papillon
02-15-2012, 08:02 PM

I don't think we'll ever see this the Steeler offense with Ben as the quarterback, simply because of his style of play. The Steeler offense will be effective, but it won't be a well oiled machine that churns out 30 plus game after game. However, it will rise to the occasion when necessary and win games, it will be effective overall but not consistent and it will be entertaining to watch.

We aren't going to see New England, New Orleans or Green Bay style offense with Ben, it simply isn't in his DNA to play a rhythm type offense, IMHO. That doesn't mean they won't be great, it just means it will never look like the Patriots, Saints or Packers.

Pappy

SteelCrazy
02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
The only reason he is working out earlier this year is because now there is a woman in his house. That's all the motivation we men need to go anywhere, but home!

feltdizz
02-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Not surprised. You are a noted Ben hater. Instead of being happy that Ben is taking to his workouts early and dedicating himself to getting better, you have to take a shot.

When a person says "but" it usually means that one they didn't actually hear anything previous to that, or they do not actually believe what was said before the "but".

How can you say and admit the expectations are unreal then follow it up with another unreal expectation?

Show me one offense in the league that leaves it out on the field from the first game to the last? There isnt one. Never has been one. At some point in time they all sputter. Even the prolific ones like the 2011 Packers, the 18-1 Patriots, The Greatest show on Turf, etc., etc.

Felt, why dont you just man-up and admit that you can't stand Ben?

I'll man up and admit I'm a Ben hater when you man up and admit you are a Pouncey hater. :lol:

Maybe it's because I'm from a time when real men could have opinions about their QB without being called a hater. :stirpot

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
The only reason he is working out earlier this year is because now there is a woman in his house. That's all the motivation we men need to go anywhere, but home!

:lol:

hawaiiansteel
02-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Roethlisberger gets a head start on offseason training

Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2012

On March 2, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger officially will be on the wrong side of 30. He apparently plans to commemorate that event by staying on the right side of 300.

Roethisberger recently told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the quarterback already has begun working out in advance of the 2012 season.

“When I talked to Mike [Tomlin], I said I don’t know how much longer I have to play, no one does; it could be two years, three years, it could be eight years. Who knows?” Roethlisberger said.

“I’m hoping that I’m just starting in my prime. I’ve already been working out with [Garrett Giemont], our strength coach, already. I’ve never worked out this early. It’s not like high-intensity, out killing myself, but I’m working out, I want to come to camp lighter than I’ve ever come, in better shape, because as you get to a certain point, a certain age in this football thing, your body doesn’t recover like it used to,” Roethlisberger said.

It’s good that he’s committed to maintain his shape (even if it’s the shape of a barrel), but he shouldn’t be quite so candid about “working out with” the team’s strength and conditioning coach. Under Article 21, Section 2(a) of the new CBA, “strength and conditioning coaches may not direct players’ individual workouts, but may supervise use of the weight room to prevent injury and to correct misuse of the equipment” during the period before the official commencement of the offseason program.

Even though his “working out with” the strength coach may have to change, Ben continues to hope the team’s offense won’t.

“Last year, I felt really good about the year, even though we had our downfalls with injuries and stuff, but I feel like I’m coming into the prime of my career, what I hope will be my best years. So I want to make sure I’m ready to go. That’s another reason I hope our offense doesn’t change because I feel like I’m just ready to hit it full stride and go with this,” Roethlisberger said.

“If it does stay the same or if we need to tweak little things, I’ve already talked to the receivers; we’re going to get together this offseason and do some stuff — whether it’s new stuff or old stuff, because we felt we were this close.”

We’ve got a feeling that we’ll be hearing a lot more for Roethlisberger, especially if he doesn’t care for whatever “new stuff” the team may be doing on offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -training/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/15/roethlisberger-gets-a-head-start-on-offseason-training/)

NJ-STEELER
02-17-2012, 03:26 AM

the guy is a known troll. he blames ben for not putting up more points vs. denver but disregards 2 dropped passes that may have led them to a 14 - 0 lead if they were caught

Slapstick
02-17-2012, 09:42 AM

The long pass that Wallace dropped in the Broncos game couldn't have been a better pass...

As Tom Brady found out, the WRs also have to catch the ball...

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 09:50 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1jtv3t3v]

the guy is a known troll. he blames ben for not putting up more points vs. denver but disregards 2 dropped passes that may have led them to a 14 - 0 lead if they were caught[/quote:1jtv3t3v]

It's BA's fault. If he would have put these players in better situations they wouldn't drop passes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: