PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger, Harrison might redo contracts

fordfixer
02-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Roethlisberger, Harrison might redo contracts for Steelers
By Staff reports
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 81691.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_781691.html)
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-14/0215RoethlisCAP-b.jpg
Ben Roethlisberger
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-14/0215HarrisonCAP-b.jpg
James Harrison
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

Two of the Steelers' highest-paid players are apparently willing to help the team with the salary cap.

The agents for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and outside linebacker James Harrison said their clients are agreeable to restructuring their contracts before the start of the NFL's new year. Teams have to be under the 2012 salary cap by 4 p.m. March 13.

The Steelers don't expect the ceiling to increase much from the $120.375 million that clubs were allowed to spend on player salaries in 2011. They entered the offseason roughly $25 million over the salary cap.

The Steelers have trimmed a little more than $14 million off that number by restructuring the contracts of linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, and cornerback Ike Taylor.

They saved another $3.5 million by releasing cornerback Bryant McFadden and wide receiver Arnaz Battle.

"Certainly we'd be very willing to help," said Bill Parise, who represents Harrison.

Harrison signed a six-year, $51.175 million contract in 2009. Roethlisberger signed an eight-year, $102 million deal in 2008. Both players restructured their contracts last year to help the Steelers manage the salary cap.

The Steelers' 51 highest player salaries count toward the salary cap during the offseason. The Steelers also must create enough room to sign free agents as well as the players they draft in late April.

Read more: Roethlisberger, Harrison might redo contracts for Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1mQdZiyHt (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_781691.html#ixzz1mQdZiyHt)

steelblood
02-15-2012, 09:54 AM
This is ok, but it worries me a little. If we continue to redo Harrison and Ben every year, they will be making 20 million a piece at the end of their deals and most of it will be guaranteed. I guess, I'd take that chance on Ben. But, Harrison has back problems is already starting to slip a bit in my opinion. It would be smart to keep his guaranteed money down in his final contract year or two. Redoing his contract could put us in bind in the future.

It seems to me that cutting some of these vets will solve most of the rest of the teams financial woes. Cutting Casey, Kemo, and Ward should get us on the right side of the salary cap. A few more snips and we will be able to sign our RFAs and draft class.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
This is ok, but it worries me a little. If we continue to redo Harrison and Ben every year, they will be making 20 million a piece at the end of their deals and most of it will be guaranteed. I guess, I'd take that chance on Ben. But, Harrison has back problems is already starting to slip a bit in my opinion. It would be smart to keep his guaranteed money down in his final contract year or two. Redoing his contract could put us in bind in the future.

It seems to me that cutting some of these vets will solve most of the rest of the teams financial woes. Cutting Casey, Kemo, and Ward should get us on the right side of the salary cap. A few more snips and we will be able to sign our RFAs and draft class.

:Agree
We can keep on pushing the problem down the road, but at some point, you have to pay the piper. Bite the bullet and cut some players loose. Hampton--$8 million per for a two-down player? Thanks for all you've done, Casey, but you're one Snack we can't afford. Ward--$4 million per for 10-15 plays a game? Love ya, Hines, but unless you are willing to take a major pay cut, you might as well go dancing with the stars some more. Kemo? Shoulda been out the door before now.

phillyesq
02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
This is no offer of generosity from the agents. Would you like to have your entire salary paid to you up front as a bonus? Sure, why not?

It also makes it harder to cut players down the line because the dead money that would be left over from their release will increase.

JDSteeler
02-15-2012, 11:07 AM

Cutting Ward is NOT an option...

I dont give a "F" if he's old, and slow!!

Reduce hime to 1M, and that's another 3M savings.

If the Steelers cut Ward, Im gonna go freaking bonkers!!!!

No way in HECK, he goes out like this...

Benched in second half of season, and then cut...OH HECK NO!!!

Kemo should be gone...

Big Snack, probably, due to ACL injury...

David Johnson is a Arianus left-over, and he needs to go. He doesn't
have a high salary, but he absolutely stinks...cant catch or block!!

JD

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Kemo should be gone...

JD

Wards LOWEST cap number for 2012 can be is $1,535,000. That means Ward would have to agree to take a $3,075,000 pay cut. Paying a WR 1.5 for 20 catches and can't be on coverage ST is a hard pill to swallow by any team. You can get a draftable kid in the $300,000 range who can give you the same or better production & be on ST with room to grow. The business side says he is gone. Our hearts want him here. Unfortunate for all of us, the Steelers cap situation has no room for emotions to be involved in the business in the up coming months.

squidkid
02-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Kemo should be gone...

JD

Wards LOWEST cap number for 2012 can be is $1,535,000. That means Ward would have to agree to take a $3,075,000 pay cut. Paying a WR 1.5 for 20 catches and can't be on coverage ST is a hard pill to swallow by any team. You can get a draftable kid in the $300,000 range who can give you the same or better production & be on ST with room to grow. The business side says he is gone. Our hearts want him here. Unfortunate for all of us, the Steelers cap situation has no room for emotions to be involved in the business in the up coming months.

Exactly.
Ward has nobody but himself to blame if he gets cut.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
This is such a stupid article that I can't understand how it made it to print. I would expect something like this from some clueless internet blog, but not from a real newspaper.

Only the agents are talking here, there is no viewpoint from the team. Would they be willing to restructure? What would that mean......the player gets a boatload of money up front tomorrow, makes the exact same amount over the life of his contract, and further secures his long-term position on the roster because releasing him would cost the team more cap space in the future than is currently slated in the books.

Show me the agent who would say no and I will show you either a liar or a guy soon to be unemployed. :roll:

focosteeler
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
They should both drop their salaries to the minimum and Rooney should pay them what their salaries were before for 'cleaning his pool' or something

Oviedo
02-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Kemo should be gone...

JD

Exactly.
Ward has nobody but himself to blame if he gets cut.

Just relaity. Hines got his 1000 catches. Getting over a million in salary to stay one more year and end up with 1,030 catches is not good value for the team. I like and respect Hines as much as any Steeler I've watched in the past 40 years but the end is the end.

ikestops85
02-15-2012, 12:36 PM
I might be wrong about this but I don't think a player can reduce his overall salary in the middle of a contract. They can restructure a contract but not take less dollars. I think the union prevents them from doing that.

For Hines to take the vet minimum I think we have to cut him and then resign him. I'm not positive about this but we have to have somebody on the board here who knows for sure.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I might be wrong about this but I don't think a player can reduce his overall salary in the middle of a contract. They can restructure a contract but not take less dollars. I think the union prevents them from doing that.

For Hines to take the vet minimum I think we have to cut him and then resign him. I'm not positive about this but we have to have somebody on the board here who knows for sure.

Non-Guranteed base salary can be altered if both parties agree. Signing bonus is carried regardless of restructure. In Wards case, they could take his base all the way down to vet min for a player over 10 years accrued which is $925,000 for 2012. Ward has a $610,000 bonus which can't be adjusted. So his min for 2012 under his current contract would be $1,535,000. I believe if they cut and resign him they could receive an exemption in the $500,000 range if his signing bonus is under $50,000 but releasing him would create 1.2 mil of dead money.

ikestops85
02-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Non-Guranteed base salary can be altered if both parties agree. Signing bonus is carried regardless of restructure. In Wards case, they could take his base all the way down to vet min for a player over 10 years accrued which is $925,000 for 2012. Ward has a $610,000 bonus which can't be adjusted. So his min for 2012 under his current contract would be $1,535,000. I believe if they cut and resign him they could receive an exemption in the $500,000 range if his signing bonus is under $50,000 but releasing him would create 1.2 mil of dead money.

Thanks JPN! I knew someone on here would have the answer.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2012, 11:17 AM

True in all cases. The only point here is that there is no need to consider the $610K because that is counted whether he is here or not, or if he is cut and re-signed. As far as the $1.2M dead money, we can either count it all this season if we cut him prior to June 1, or spread it at $610K each over this season and next if we release him after June 1 or keep him.