PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall may not be back from injury in 2012

Oviedo
02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
bad news for a RB. IMO RB just shot up our priority list in this upcoming draft.

Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012
Monday, February 13, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers are not counting on Rashard Mendenhall being able to play in 2012 because of his ACL surgery, and it appears they will not sign any of their own pending free agents before they hit the open market on March 13.

Those were two revelations general manager Kevin Colbert offered during an interview today at the Steelers facility on the South Side.

Among others:

He confirmed that no decision has been made on whether Hines Ward will be back with the Steelers in 2012.

The Steelers "have work to do" to get under the mandatory NFL salary cap by March 13, which is the beginning of the new league calender and the start of free agency.

They want to try to keep Mike Wallace "here for the long run.'' Wallace, their leading receiver last season, will become a restricted free agent March 13.

Some big names could be out before training camp starts. "When you've had success . . . anybody who has been part of our team and you have to release them, it's always difficult.''

The Steelers saw this problem with the salary cap coming for awhile and "knew we'd have to make adjustments,'' Colbert said. He called them "serious issues.''

"What our team will be at training camp? I don't know what it will be.''

Colbert did not say that Mendenhall would not play in 2012, but "I never feel good about an ACL for a year.'' Mendenhall had surgery on his knee in January after it was injured in Cleveland Jan. 1.

Even with the availability of Mendenhall in question, Colbert said they do not necessarily have to bring in another running back.

"No more than we are for any other position. Our young backup contributors did a nice job" in 2011.

He mentioned Isaac Redman as a back who has "established himself as an NFL running back.'' He also noted rookies John Clay and Byron Batch and second-year back Jonathan Dwyer.

Colbert said they likely cannot sign any of their own free agents before March 13 because of their position in the salary cap. It does not mean, however, they will not sign any of them after March 13.

That potentially means that Wallace will become a restricted free agent and another team could sign him. The Steelers, though, will almost surely offer him the high tender that would bring them a first-round draft pick if another team signed him and they did not match it and keep him.

First published on February 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12044/12 ... z1mILQED2l (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12044/1209944-100.stm#ixzz1mILQED2l)

focosteeler
02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I dont see any reason to draft a guy before round 5. I think we have a good group of running backs, maybe bring in a couple FA rookies or something. We have redman, clay, and batch, if mendy is out next year I think we will be fine.

Oviedo
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I dont see any reason to draft a guy before round 5. I think we have a good group of running backs, maybe bring in a couple FA rookies or something. We have redman, clay, and batch, if mendy is out next year I think we will be fine.

You have more confidence in that group than I do. Redman is above average but not a real #1, Clay, Dwyer and Batch are all unproven. Terrance Ganaway in Round 4 or 5 would be a nice fit. Big power back with speed...something Redman doesn't have.

With that group, I think we will be passing a whole bunch.

Dee Dub
02-13-2012, 05:06 PM
I think this story should be a non-story. Way too soon to have any idea whether or not Mendenhall will be fully recovered from the ACL surgery.

But I guess they need to sell papers and draw interests. :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Remember, though, that 2012 is also the last year of Mendenhall's rookie contract...we might not re-sign him if he is looking for a premium contract.

aggiebones
02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Non-issue.
Redman, HAS proven that he could be a no.1
Obviously, unless given a chance, no player can prove he is a no.1

Redman NEVER disappoints when he plays, so I'd give him first call, with the other 3 battling for sub duty. Hopefully batch can fulfill some roll.

I expect Mendenhall to come back midseason. Heck we went 4 games to start a season without Big Ben and made the Super Bowl. We can survive a half season without Mendy. He's not that important. He'll come back and slowly take back at least a half share from Redman.

phillyesq
02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Non-issue.
Redman, HAS proven that he could be a no.1
Obviously, unless given a chance, no player can prove he is a no.1

Redman NEVER disappoints when he plays, so I'd give him first call, with the other 3 battling for sub duty. Hopefully batch can fulfill some roll.

I expect Mendenhall to come back midseason. Heck we went 4 games to start a season without Big Ben and made the Super Bowl. We can survive a half season without Mendy. He's not that important. He'll come back and slowly take back at least a half share from Redman.

I like Redman, and I like what he's done with his opportunties, but I think that Shonn Greene presents a cautionary tale before relying too much on an unproven back. Greene had an amazing playoff run a few years ago but still can't claim the #1 job outright. Despite his TD, Clay was rather unimpressive. Dwyer has not shown himself to be reliable, and Batch is an unknown coming off an ACL of his own.

I don't think that the Steelers need to look for a #1 type back, but they do need a compliment to Redman and another source of competition.

Jason Snelling could be an interesting name. He signed a one year deal with the Falcons last year, and after being seemingly surpassed by Rodgers as the primary backup to Turner, he could be looking for a new home. He likely will not have a huge pricetag, and if the Steelers make any moves in FA this year, I expect them to be around this level.

focosteeler
02-13-2012, 06:20 PM

Remember, though, that 2012 is also the last year of Mendenhall's rookie contract...we might not re-sign him if he is looking for a premium contract.

hopefully if he misses the 2012 season he wont be looking for a premium contract. if he has no real way to prove he is 100% again I think he might be cheap. maybe we try to get him a new contract this year for cheap with some bonuses if he proves himself a #1 back.

feltdizz
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
No problem. Redman may not be a flashy #1 but he moves the chains and rarely gets tackled for a loss. Who needs a true #1 when you have 3 young explosive WR's and Ben at QB?

DukieBoy
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
He mentioned Isaac Redman as a back who has "established himself as an NFL running back.'' He also noted rookies John Clay and Byron Batch and second-year back Jonathan Dwyer.

Does Byron Batch look like Gary Coleman, too?

pittpete
02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Any chance this guy comes from KC
Jackie Battle (KC) http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11197/jackie-battle

Flasteel
02-13-2012, 10:02 PM
What's all this noise about a #1 back? Is this some kind of definable quality that Redman is missing from his game? If so, someone please give me the definition.

Don't tell me he's not capable of being the primary ball-carrier for this offense. He's got everything you're looking for in a back, except maybe top-end speed. Let's not forget that Redman is a former HS phenom, who only wound up at Bowie State because of legal issues.

Pedigree is more than the college you went to or your draft status.

The problem to me is more about who the second back will be. In today's NFL it seems that you either need one complete workhorse stud, or you need to have two solid backs you can depend on. We had the later and now it looks like we're down to one solid, dependable guy.

Batch is the new Mewelde Moore and I like the promise of Dwyer, but I'm far from sold on him filling that #2 role.

feltdizz
02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Some fans will never be sold on Redman because he wasn't drafted.

DBR96A
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Either that, or they're trying to justify Rashard Mendenhall's draft position.

hawaiiansteel
02-13-2012, 11:31 PM
I believe there is now an increased probability of drafting a RB in the first 3-4 rounds, we have no proven RBs after Redman.

pittpete
02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
I believe there is now an increased probability of drafting a RB in the first 3-4 rounds, we have no proven RBs after Redman.

Haley is known for getting the most out of what he has to work with so this is not necessarily true.
If our strength is our passing game, I think he'll go with that.
Plenty of serviceable free agents out there to be had instead of using an early draft pick on an unknown :2c

Dresden
02-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Either that, or they're trying to justify Rashard Mendenhall's draft position.

:Agree Some people will go to their graves without ever admitting what they know in their hearts to be true,.. and that's that drafting a contact shy, dancing, slasher back like Mendenhall in the first round was nearly absurd.

But i digress,....because the bottom line for me is that every time i see Redman on the field with the O-line they play as though they are a nasty, determined and dominant group.

And though he's (Redman) not the second coming of Bussy or Franco,....he is punishing. And i believe that with a little more polish and the confidence that comes with being a starter he could possibly 'get his Barry Foster on' for us ?

I also see Haley using Batch in a Dexter Mccluster capacity. And i'm good with that.

Opposing defenses attempting to coral Batch after being battered between the tackles all day works to our advantage IMO.

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Mendenhall could miss 2012 season

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 14, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-13/0214stmendenhall-a.jpg

Rashard Mendenhall leaves the field after injuring his knee during the second quarter against the Browns on January 1, 2012 in Cleveland.

A torn ACL brought a premature end to Rashard Mendenhall's 2011 season.

A right knee injury sustained by the Steelers' running back may also sideline him for all of 2012.

General manager Kevin Colbert said Monday that Mendenhall is likely to open next season on the physically unable to perform list, as he works his way back from an injury that can be devastating for running backs.

"I never feel good about an ACL until (after) a year," Colbert said. "I'm not a doctor, but that's just my mindset. If he gets back before that, it's a bonus."

Colbert's math when it comes to ACL injuries wouldn't bode well for Mendenhall suiting up next season since he went down Jan. 1 in Cleveland.

Teams are allowed to keep players on the PUP list through the first six weeks of the season. That means the Steelers may have to decide in mid-October whether to add Mendenhall to their active roster or put him on injured reserve.

When asked if Mendenhall may miss all of next season, Colbert said, "(He) possibly could."

Mendenhall has led the team in rushing the past three seasons, but his uncertain status will not compel the Steelers to put more emphasis on running backs when they start preparations for free agency and the draft, Colbert said.

The reason for that, Colbert said, is the team's faith in Isaac Redman and some of the other young backs on the roster. Redman rushed for 213 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' final two games, and he averaged 7.1 yards per carry in a playoff loss in Denver.

"I think he's established himself as an NFL running back," Colbert said. "Could we add a back? Sure. Are we saying we have to add a back? No."

Mendenhall, a first-round draft pick in 2008, is going into the final year of his contract. His injury puts on hold any plans the Steelers had in signing Mendenhall to a long-term deal. One player that the Steelers hope to sign to a multiyear contract during the offseason is wide receiver Mike Wallace.

Wallace, who is coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and his first Pro Bowl appearance, becomes a restricted free agent March 13, the start of the NFL's new year.

The Steelers can offer the third-year veteran a one-year contract that allows them to match any offer made to Wallace by another team and receive a draft pick if he signs elsewhere. Colbert said the Steelers haven't ruled out using a franchise tag on Wallace, which would give them exclusive negotiating rights with him.

"Certainly Mike has done a lot to establish himself as a Pro Bowl receiver, and we want to try to keep Mike here for the long run," Colbert said.

Notes: Nose tackle Casey Hampton may also open 2012 on the PUP list, Colbert said, if he returns to the Steelers. Hampton sustained an ACL injury in the Steelers' 29-23 loss to Denver on Jan. 8. "Casey will definitely be a PUP candidate," Colbert said.

...The Steelers don't plan on signing any of their own free agents before the March 13 start of free agency, Colbert said. ... Colbert said defensive end Brett Keisel probably won't need surgery to fix the groin injury he suffered in the playoff loss to the Broncos.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1mKKiBsv8 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_781474.html#ixzz1mKKiBsv8)

phillyesq
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM

I can't speak for everybody, but I don't think that Redman is the concern. The concern, at least for me, is the depth behind Redman. Clay does not impress me, Dwyer ended the year on IR and is still unproven, and Batch is coming off an ACL injury. Redman runs with a bit of a bruising style, and those guys can tend to get banged up a bit.

Whether a low level free agent or a mid-late round pick, I think the Steelers need somebody else to put in the mix behind Redman.

Shawn
02-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Earliest Mendenhall could be ready is by Sept...in all likelihood. There is a very good chance he will miss at least part if not all of the season.

feltdizz
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM

I can't speak for everybody, but I don't think that Redman is the concern. The concern, at least for me, is the depth behind Redman. Clay does not impress me, Dwyer ended the year on IR and is still unproven, and Batch is coming off an ACL injury. Redman runs with a bit of a bruising style, and those guys can tend to get banged up a bit.

Whether a low level free agent or a mid-late round pick, I think the Steelers need somebody else to put in the mix behind Redman.

I think Redman is going to get 15 touches a game.... I could see if we were trying to pound it like we did with Bettis and Foster but we aren't going to be a run first team.

I don't see Redman as a bruising type RB either... he is shifty in tight spaces and rarely gets blown up. He is an Emmit Smith type running back.... Not the fastest, not the biggest, but somehow he gets 4 to 6 yards without taking big shots.

Cleveland game when he fumbled in the hole was the first time I've seen Redman get popped.

Ghost
02-14-2012, 01:43 PM

I agree with this. Certainly like to see more of Clay - was there something specific for you that was unimpressive?

Dwyer has been a HUGE disappoinment. For some odd reson he thought getting drafted late automatically meant making the team and he really didn't try. If he comes in overweight again I'd cut his fat, lazy a$$. He woulnd't even be on the team if Batch had not gottern injured. And I loved this pick. Thought the Steelers had gotten a steal...

Love Batch's heart (he says alll the right things) and he's got some great college highlights but he's 100% unproven and coming off a bum wheel. There are most definitely depth issues.

feltdizz
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
did we cut Mewelde?

ter1230_4
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
The thought that occurs to me is this: If the Steelers don't think that Mendenhall will be ready for the start of the 2012 season, and might even miss the entire season, then what do they think about Casey Hampton's torn ACL? Hampton is 10 years older and weighs 100 pounds more than Mendenhall, and this is the third time he's blown out an ACL. My guess would be that the Steelers think it's even less likely that Hampton will play much in 2012, and given his cap number I think that the Steelers will have to waive Hampton. Which makes finding a nose tackle, either in the draft or free agency, a must.

Ghost
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
did we cut Mewelde?

He's not under contract.

And this was from another article. On the surface it doesn't sound as if there is much interest in bringing him back:

"So, Mendenhall might play in 2012. But it also might not be at the start of the season and he might not have the same ability after his knee injury. Plus, he's in the last year of his contract.

Colbert seemed OK with the backs left -- Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, and two '11 rookies -- John Clay and Baron Batch. Batch himself had ACL surgery after a training camp injury."

RuthlessBurgher
02-14-2012, 02:41 PM

I'm still not sold on James Harrison for that very reason. :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-14-2012, 02:43 PM
The thought that occurs to me is this: If the Steelers don't think that Mendenhall will be ready for the start of the 2012 season, and might even miss the entire season, then what do they think about Casey Hampton's torn ACL? Hampton is 10 years older and weighs 100 pounds more than Mendenhall, and this is the third time he's blown out an ACL. My guess would be that the Steelers think it's even less likely that Hampton will play much in 2012, and given his cap number I think that the Steelers will have to waive Hampton. Which makes finding a nose tackle, either in the draft or free agency, a must.

Colbert addressed Hampton's ACL vs. Mendenhall's ACL:

Colbert did not say that Mendenhall would not play in 2012, but "it possibly could" wipe out his season. Mendenhall had surgery on his knee in January after his injury Jan. 1 in Cleveland.

"Potentially, Rashard will not be ready for camp. I never feel good about an ACL until a year. I'm not a doctor, but that's my mindset. If he gets back before that, to me it's a bonus, so is he potentially a candidate for PUP? Absolutely."

Teams place a player on the Physically Unable to Perform list to open training camp if there is a reason they cannot play. Nose tackle Casey Hampton, who also had ACL surgery after the season, could also open camp on that list, but Colbert was more optimistic that Hampton will play in 2012.

"Sometimes defensive linemen, offensive linemen recover a little quicker because they don't have to regain their speed or stop and start ability."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210003-66.stm

phillyesq
02-14-2012, 02:46 PM

I agree with this. Certainly like to see more of Clay - was there something specific for you that was unimpressive?

Dwyer has been a HUGE disappoinment. For some odd reson he thought getting drafted late automatically meant making the team and he really didn't try. If he comes in overweight again I'd cut his fat, lazy a$$. He woulnd't even be on the team if Batch had not gottern injured. And I loved this pick. Thought the Steelers had gotten a steal...

Love Batch's heart (he says alll the right things) and he's got some great college highlights but he's 100% unproven and coming off a bum wheel. There are most definitely depth issues.

Agree on Batch. Everything I've seen written by him makes him seem like a guy who really appreciates everything he has. Very easy guy to root for.

As for Clay, he had the one TD run (through a huge hole), but otherwise, he didn't look to be particularly quick to hit the hole or as powerful as you'd hope for his size. And his speed is an issue.

Shoe
02-15-2012, 11:45 PM

Hampton is toast. If anyone thinks anything different, then you obviously have never been 35 years old (or whatever he is)!

He's old (for a football player), he's made boatloads of money with lots of accomplishments (i.e. contented), and he's probably morbidly obese (going by the textbook definition).

As for the RB question, I'm confident in Redman. Truth is, Redman has no one to blame but himself, if he doesn't set up the rest of his life over the course of the next NFL season. Of course, he could get hurt, but the bottom line is that he has the opportunity in front of him. If he comes and lives in the Steeler facility and shows the FO that HE's the man (i.e. that they don't have to consider someone else in the draft), and he produces a strong year as a starter (i.e. 1,000+ yards), he can get himself a nice contract that can set him up for the rest of his life.

feltdizz
02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Hampton is morbidly obese? :wft

I'm sorry but all the talk about Hampton's weight is ignorant. Wilfork and every other NT who is considered the best in the biz are all morbidly obese :roll:

The guy is a NT. I think Colbert or someone in the FO mentioned that an ACL for a DL is much different then an ACL for a RB. Hampton's job is to plug up the middle... nothing more.

If Hampton isn't brought back it's because of his salary not his weight. I guess all these NT's are in shape.

http://cache.heraldinteractive.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/vince-wilfork.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09ak2u9bRR0sI/439x.jpg

http://media.mlive.com/lions_impact/photo/shaun-rogers-detroit-lions-9f1c8ef296771211_large.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
According to a standard BMI calculator, Lawrence Timmons would be considered to be obese, and he looks like this with his shirt off:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/16181/lawrence_timmons.jpg

Of course, BMI doesn't take into account the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, so his 6'1" 234 lbs. physique calculates of a BMI of 30.9 (Underweight = BMI < 18.5, Normal weight = 18.524.9, Overweight = 2529.9, Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater). For what it's worth, Casey's BMI (if he is his listed weight of 325 lbs at 6'1") would be 42.9.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
According to a standard BMI calculator, Lawrence Timmons would be considered to be obese, and he looks like this with his shirt off:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/16181/lawrence_timmons.jpg

Of course, BMI doesn't take into account the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, so his 6'1" 234 lbs. physique calculates of a BMI of 30.9 (Underweight = BMI < 18.5, Normal weight = 18.524.9, Overweight = 2529.9, Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater). For what it's worth, Casey's BMI (if he is his listed weight of 325 lbs at 6'1") would be 42.9.

Maybe we can move "Fats" Timmons to NT. :lol:

Slapstick
02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I think Redman is going to get 15 touches a game.... I could see if we were trying to pound it like we did with Bettis and Foster but we aren't going to be a run first team.

I don't see Redman as a bruising type RB either... he is shifty in tight spaces and rarely gets blown up. He is an Emmit Smith type running back.... Not the fastest, not the biggest, but somehow he gets 4 to 6 yards without taking big shots.

And THAT is the perfect complement to a good passing game...

calmkiller
02-17-2012, 08:46 AM
I would just like to say that IMO, everyone in this thread that is saying X player is unproven is such a cop out answer. No crap..... But you can't prove yourself until you play. We have this conversation every year. The front office knows what they are doing. They will bring in a couple backs to compete and help out. They will most likely even draft a back. But to say you don't feel good because none of the players here now are unproven just irritates me. Let what we have play. Trail by fire proves what they can do and is the best learning experience.

feltdizz
02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
I would just like to say that IMO, everyone in this thread that is saying X player is unproven is such a cop out answer. No crap..... But you can't prove yourself until you play. We have this conversation every year. The front office knows what they are doing. They will bring in a couple backs to compete and help out. They will most likely even draft a back. But to say you don't feel good because none of the players here now are unproven just irritates me. Let what we have play. Trail by fire proves what they can do and is the best learning experience.

...and those same people want to draft a back who is unproven.

Mo_Steel
02-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Trail by fire proves what they can do and is the best learning experience.

I got one question. Where is this "trail" you speak of? Sounds dangerous.