PDA

View Full Version : Starkey lays it on thick for Ben

PSU_dropout43
02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
It's a tightrope walk for the Steelers, too, because we're talking about the meal ticket here.

The Steelers need Roethlisberger way more than he needs them.

Remember, Roethlisberger is the main reason this franchise snapped its quarter-century Super Bowl drought. It had gone 25 years without a championship-level quarterback.

He also is the primary reason Tomlin has become a top-tier NFL coach making millions of dollars.

Everybody knows it's a quarterbacks league. Without one, a coach is doomed. With a great one, he almost can't help but thrive. Just ask Ken Whisenhunt.

And be sure of this: Roethlisberger will be the reason Haley does -- or does not -- become a head coach again.

It all depends on how this marriage works out.

Read more: Starkey: Steelers' power struggle fascinates - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1m93lM2iM (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_781267.html#ixzz1m93lM2iM)

RuthlessBurgher
02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I swear the Pittsburgh print media is trying to win a daytime Emmy award with how they are portraying this coaching hire as a melodramatic soap opera. The team replaced a coach. Whoopdie-freakin-doo. Teams replace coaches every year. Where was the outrage when Kuglar replaced Zeirlein? Why didn't they go in depth to find out who actually fired Bob Ligashesky, and whether or not Tomlin had any voice in choose Al Everest as his replacement? I'm still waiting for Woodward/Bernstein/Deep Throat expose regarding the Carnell Lake hire. Yikes.

Iron Shiek
02-12-2012, 01:11 PM
I swear the Pittsburgh print media is trying to win a daytime Emmy award with how they are portraying this coaching hire as a melodramatic soap opera. The team replaced a coach. Whoopdie-freakin-doo. Teams replace coaches every year. Where was the outrage when Kuglar replaced Zeirlein? Why didn't they go in depth to find out who actually fired Bob Ligashesky, and whether or not Tomlin had any voice in choose Al Everest as his replacement? I'm still waiting for Woodward/Bernstein/Deep Throat expose regarding the Carnell Lake hire. Yikes.

My sentiments exactly...which i posted in a different thread:

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20333

Mister Pittsburgh
02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I agree. Such manufactured drama. The owners, head coach, position coaches, teammates, and fans that stood by Ben through a motorcycle crash, two sexual assault allegations, and his general knack for coming off as a complete jackass at nearly every stop of his for the first 8 years of his career should really tread lightly around Ben & his wishes.

I think Ben has been just as lucky to have the Steelers as we have been to have him. We could of spent the 11th pick on someone else. Sure we may have never won a Superbowl without him, but how many would he have won had we passed on him & some crap team drafted him instead.

The Steelers could of dumped him off to the Rsms or Tsmpa after his Reno & Georgia escapades but chose to stand by him. If there is one bit of him angry with the Steelers for changing coordinators he needs to think back about the last few years & see who had his back, then return the favor.

hawaiiansteel
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Starkey: Steelers' power struggle fascinates

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Steelers' clumsy coordinator shuffle clearly was aimed at making one man a lot less comfortable.

The quarterback.

That is what makes this drama so compelling.

How does Ben Roethlisberger respond to getting slapped around a little? The organization that granted him nearly unlimited power to play as he saw fit -- heck, to play when he saw fit after his ankle injury -- is trying to reclaim a portion of said power.

And there is no delicate way to do that.

So get your popcorn ready. It's either going to work to spectacular results or blow up in their faces.

Applaud the high-risk, high-reward philosophy that has often served the Steelers well. Question their methods. Enjoy the cabaret.

In hindsight, one can see the power-strip process beginning the day after the loss in Denver, when coach Mike Tomlin was asked how much say Roethlisberger would have in whether coordinator Bruce Arians was retained.

"None," Tomlin said, sharply.

Days later, team president Art Rooney II said he'd like to see Roethlisberger "tweak" his game.

The Steelers then "shocked" Roethlisberger -- his word, which he has used repeatedly -- by firing his friend Arians in the most insulting way imaginable.

They tried to pass off the move as a "retirement," but before Arians could collect his gold watch, he was working again -- now as the Indianapolis Colts' offensive coordinator.

Kardashian-Humphries marriage: 72 days.

Arians retirement: eight days.

Steelers' silence: priceless.

We still don't know for sure who orchestrated Arians' ouster. The Steelers have not seen fit to clear up the confusion.

Maybe Rooney and Tomlin were more up front about it with Roethlisberger than they have been with the public. The way things are going, though, you have to wonder if they've even told him yet.

Tomlin didn't exactly find a wallflower to replace Arians, either.

Quite the opposite: He brought in Haley's comet.

And you don't think this organization wanted to rock Ben's world?

I like hard-core Todd Haley's resume. He has been successful using different approaches. Lots of pass. Lots of run. He also isn't afraid to get in players' faces, and elite ones such as Larry Fitzgerald swear by him (and often swore at him).

But that doesn't mean this will be a slam dunk. There is no predicting the result when massive egos collide.

For now, Roethlisberger and Haley will apparently spend some time marking their territory.

Haley, for example, did not seek out Roethlisberger upon showing up at Steelers headquarters. Here's hoping they meet sometime before the season opener.

Roethlisberger upstaged Haley's introductory news conference Thursday by choosing an hour earlier to give his first extended interview since the Arians firing.

It really is great theatre.

It's a tightrope walk for the Steelers, too, because we're talking about the meal ticket here.

The Steelers need Roethlisberger way more than he needs them.

Remember, Roethlisberger is the main reason this franchise snapped its quarter-century Super Bowl drought. It had gone 25 years without a championship-level quarterback.

He also is the primary reason Tomlin has become a top-tier NFL coach making millions of dollars.

Everybody knows it's a quarterbacks league. Without one, a coach is doomed. With a great one, he almost can't help but thrive. Just ask Ken Whisenhunt.

And be sure of this: Roethlisberger will be the reason Haley does -- or does not -- become a head coach again.

It all depends on how this marriage works out.

I assume Haley is smart enough to be open to the ad-lib style that makes Roethlisberger unique. But the Steelers also believe Ben needs to play a tamer, smarter game. They want him to stay upright for the next several years (blockers, anyone?). They want him to get rid of the ball faster.

That is understandable. Commendable, even.

Was this the right way to go about it?

Time will tell. It always does.

Get your popcorn ready.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1mC2iNkqW (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_781267.html#ixzz1mC2iNkqW)

williar
02-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I agree. Such manufactured drama. The owners, head coach, position coaches, teammates, and fans that stood by Ben through a motorcycle crash, two sexual assault allegations, and his general knack for coming off as a complete jackass at nearly every stop of his for the first 8 years of his career should really tread lightly around Ben & his wishes.

I think Ben has been just as lucky to have the Steelers as we have been to have him. We could of spent the 11th pick on someone else. Sure we may have never won a Superbowl without him, but how many would he have won had we passed on him & some crap team drafted him instead.

The Steelers could of dumped him off to the Rsms or Tsmpa after his Reno & Georgia escapades but chose to stand by him. If there is one bit of him angry with the Steelers for changing coordinators he needs to think back about the last few years & see who had his back, then return the favor.

:Agree :Agree

Ben is very fortunate to have been drafted by the steelers. I think he would even tell you that.

Sentiment from a poster from another site. I wish I could take credit for it but It pretty much sums things up for me.

If I am Art Rooney II here is maybe what I see:

1) The season starts out with a humiliating 35-7 stomping by the division rival Ravens. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of seven points.

2) Squeaking out a 23-20 win over the worst team in the entire NFL Colts ONLY because of Polamalu’s fumble recovery TD. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 17 points.

3) A 17-10 loss to the Texans.The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 10 points.

4) Squeaking out a 17-13 win over the lowly Jags.The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 17 points.

5) Losing to the Ravens AGAIN. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 20 points. That’s 27 points in two games against their biggest division rivals.

6) Squeaking out a 13-9 win against the lowly Chiefs. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 13 points.

7) Squeaking out a 14-3 win against the lowly Browns. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 14 points.

In a game that would have given the Steelers a playoff bye week and home field advantage throughout the playoffs — making it virtually a playoff game — the Steelers get stomped 20-3 by the 49ers in a nationally televised Monday night game. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of … THREE … points.

9) The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback sits out against the Rams and using the same (acutally more injured) line and receivers and running backs and offensive coordinator Charlie Batch LIGHTS UP the Rams in a easy peasy leman squeezy 27-0 blowout win. Huh???

10) The supposedly Pro Bowl quarter is back in action and the Steelers squeak out a 13-9 win over the Browns. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 13 points.

11) The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback gets badly outplayed by Tim Tebow falling behind 20-6 by halftime and the Steelers go one and done against the lowly Broncos who get blownout 35-7 BY HALFTIME the next week against the Patriots.

12) In three out of the Steelers past four post season games Roethlisberg plays poorly letting the Steelers fall 20 points behind to start the game.

13) In the playoff game against the Jets Roethlisberger had a 35.5 quarterback rating and the Steelers would have lost if not for William Gay’s fumble recovery TD. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 17 points.

14) In Roethlisberger’s “finest hour” in the Super Bowl against the Cardinals the Steelers would have lost if not for James Harrison’s 100 yard interception return TD. Up until the miraculous final drive TD to Holmes the supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 13 points.

15) In the Super Bowl against the Seahawks Roethlisberger had a 22 qb eating and the Steelers would have lost if not for Fast Willie Parker’s 75 yard TD run and Randle El’s 38 yard TD pass to Ward.

The Steelers win ONLY because of their NUMBER ONE defense and if the defense gives up 20 points it is usually a slam dunk loss so yeah … I would think that some “tweaking” is in order.

DukieBoy
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM

:Agree :Agree

Ben is very fortunate to have been drafted by the steelers. I think he would even tell you that.

Sentiment from a poster from another site. I wish I could take credit for it but It pretty much sums things up for me.

If I am Art Rooney II here is maybe what I see:

1) The season starts out with a humiliating 35-7 stomping by the division rival Ravens. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of seven points.

2) Squeaking out a 23-20 win over the worst team in the entire NFL Colts ONLY because of Polamalu’s fumble recovery TD. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 17 points.

3) A 17-10 loss to the Texans.The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 10 points.

4) Squeaking out a 17-13 win over the lowly Jags.The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 17 points.

5) Losing to the Ravens AGAIN. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 20 points. That’s 27 points in two games against their biggest division rivals.

6) Squeaking out a 13-9 win against the lowly Chiefs. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 13 points.

7) Squeaking out a 14-3 win against the lowly Browns. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 14 points.

In a game that would have given the Steelers a playoff bye week and home field advantage throughout the playoffs — making it virtually a playoff game — the Steelers get stomped 20-3 by the 49ers in a nationally televised Monday night game. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of … THREE … points.

9) The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback sits out against the Rams and using the same (acutally more injured) line and receivers and running backs and offensive coordinator Charlie Batch LIGHTS UP the Rams in a easy peasy leman squeezy 27-0 blowout win. Huh???

10) The supposedly Pro Bowl quarter is back in action and the Steelers squeak out a 13-9 win over the Browns. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 13 points.

11) The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback gets badly outplayed by Tim Tebow falling behind 20-6 by halftime and the Steelers go one and done against the lowly Broncos who get blownout 35-7 BY HALFTIME the next week against the Patriots.

12) In three out of the Steelers past four post season games Roethlisberg plays poorly letting the Steelers fall 20 points behind to start the game.

13) In the playoff game against the Jets Roethlisberger had a 35.5 quarterback rating and the Steelers would have lost if not for William Gay’s fumble recovery TD. The supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 17 points.

14) In Roethlisberger’s “finest hour” in the Super Bowl against the Cardinals the Steelers would have lost if not for James Harrison’s 100 yard interception return TD. Up until the miraculous final drive TD to Holmes the supposedly Pro Bowl quarterback can come up with all of 13 points.

15) In the Super Bowl against the Seahawks Roethlisberger had a 22 qb eating and the Steelers would have lost if not for Fast Willie Parker’s 75 yard TD run and Randle El’s 38 yard TD pass to Ward.

The Steelers win ONLY because of their NUMBER ONE defense and if the defense gives up 20 points it is usually a slam dunk loss so yeah … I would think that some “tweaking” is in order.

Wow. Quite an indictment ... of the Steeler offense including Ben.

PSU_dropout43
02-12-2012, 04:24 PM
alrighty then

feltdizz
02-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Ouch... that's was an interesting breakdown of the offense. The Steelers were always a few clutch plays from multiple SB's under Cowher.

Ben wouldn't be nearly as successful without our D but we spend most of our money on D.

All I know is 2008 was probably the worst offense I've ever seen win a SB.

Sugar
02-12-2012, 04:53 PM
IMO, any player picked by the Steelers is lucky. It's a class organization with a winning tradition. I was a Steeler fan long before Ben got here and (Lord willing) will be one long after he's gone.

Starky is right though.

Of course the Steelers stood by Ben with all the "drama." The guy did nothing provably wrong and to unload him would have shown a lack of class by the organization. He also can only do so much with the protection afforded him.

In the end, I think this is being built up far more than it needs to be to sell papers, air time and clicks.

Keyplay1
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Starkey said: "So get your popcorn ready. It's either going to work to spectacular results or blow up in their faces.

Applaud the high-risk, high-reward philosophy that has often served the Steelers well. Question their methods. Enjoy the cabaret."

-----Just when I thought this drama was put aside[for me]in a positive way. Starkey adds another valid angle to the script. Me, I'll go for the "spectacular[well at least positive]results" option. :D

grotonsteel
02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
The Steelers win ONLY because of their NUMBER ONE defense and if the defense gives up 20 points it is usually a slam dunk loss so yeah … I would think that some “tweaking” is in order.[/i]

I know you hate Ben due to some personal reason but why pick and chose games?

Same thing can be said any QB in NFL including Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Brady struggled mightily against Ravens too.

Also you need to consider what was the O-line in first 4 games of 2011 and Ben's injury towards the latter part. I know you don't believe he was injured.

What ARII need to tweak is spend heavily on O-line and Offensive players and then we are talking.

williar
02-13-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't hate Ben and I didn't write that. I was just quoting a poster from another source. I just happen to agree with every word they said.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't hate Ben and I didn't write that. I was just quoting a poster from another source. I just happen to agree with every word they said.

Ben has bad games now and then...that's a shocker. So does every QB. Look at Peyton Manning in the playoffs...the Colts score less than 20 points as often as they score over 20 points with Peyton under center.

Oviedo
02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
The Steelers win ONLY because of their NUMBER ONE defense and if the defense gives up 20 points it is usually a slam dunk loss so yeah … I would think that some “tweaking” is in order.[/i]

I know you hate Ben due to some personal reason but why pick and chose games?

Same thing can be said any QB in NFL including Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Brady struggled mightily against Ravens too.

Also you need to consider what was the O-line in first 4 games of 2011 and Ben's injury towards the latter part. I know you don't believe he was injured.

What ARII need to tweak is spend heavily on O-line and Offensive players and then we are talking.

If the organization would balance the investment they make between the offensive and defensive side of the ball then we would see a consistent performances on the part of the offense.

Last year we handed out four major, multi-year $30-40+ million contracts to defensive players. What did we do on the offense, cut Starks and desperately resigned him, signed Jon Scott to a one year deal, etc.

Yet people want to continue to wonder why the offense is inconsistent. Follow the money and that will explain it.

JAR
02-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Maybe the Pittsburgh media reads this board. I mean, it's drama queen central at times. The media figures, hmmmmm, the fans love the melodramatic rumor mongering type stuff, lets put it in print for everyone to see.

:D

NC Steeler Fan
02-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey, Hawaiiansteel, somehow I see a great "Caption This" thread for your
current sig pic!

You could start with "hear no evil, see no evil, touch no evil" from the position
of Ben's hands and take it from there! :lol:

NJ-STEELER
02-16-2012, 01:03 AM
our supposed pro bowl QB had over 100 QB rating in 3 consecutive road playoff games in route to that SB 40 victory. something that was never done before

gotta love how some haters pick their stats

hawaiiansteel
02-16-2012, 01:59 AM
current sig pic!

You could start with "hear no evil, see no evil, touch no evil" from the position

you notice how they didn't put one of the girls right next to Ben? :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
current sig pic!

you notice how they didn't put one of the girls right next to Ben? :D

I'll just stand here, smile, and cover my genitals with both hands. :P

skyhawk
02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
our supposed pro bowl QB had over 100 QB rating in 3 consecutive road playoff games in route to that SB 40 victory. something that was never done before

Thank you. :Agree :Clap

And the fact that this guy has raised the play of every teammate on the team since he stepped onto the field in 2004. He ain't no Payton Manning stats wise, or Tom Brady skill wise, but the guy had mojo from the get go. He transformed them into legit contenders year in and year out. SUPER BOWL contenders, not just pretenders in the AFC championship games.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 04:19 PM

And the fact that this guy has raised the play of every teammate on the team since he stepped onto the field in 2004. He ain't no Payton Manning stats wise, or Tom Brady skill wise, but the guy had mojo from the get go. He transformed them into legit contenders year in and year out. SUPER BOWL contenders, not just pretenders in the AFC championship games.

Sure, he's got mojo, but is he as good as the immortal Josh Freeman, the amazing Sam Bradford, or "all-stats, no hardware" Phil Rivers? :lol:

skyhawk
02-16-2012, 04:26 PM

Sure, he's got mojo, but is he as good as the immortal Josh Freeman, the amazing Sam Bradford, or "all-stats, no hardware" Phil Rivers? :lol:

Duh. Way better ;) If we had no Ben the Steelers would not have been participants in SB 40, 43, and 45. Just imagine Bruce Arians and that Oline and offense without Ben for an entire SEASON. :lol:

Mo_Steel
02-16-2012, 05:32 PM

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Duh. Way better ;) If we had no Ben the Steelers would not have been participants in SB 40, 43, and 45. Just imagine Bruce Arians and that Oline and offense without Ben for an entire SEASON. :lol:

Whoops...I even forgot about Cam "Back to Earth" Newton, Matthew "The only QB who is injured more often than Ben" Stafford, and of course Peyton "now it's FOUR neck surgeries" Manning. What a funny post...I'll grant him Brady, Rodgers, and Brees (even though Ben has the same amount of non-SpyGate-assisted championships as those 3 guys combined :D ).

The Colts would never trade their selection (and for all intents and purposes Luck) for Roethlisberger.

Dude, it's only a percentage of the Steeler Nation that actually believes that Roethlisberger is elite when they say that nonsense. Colts fans would nearly riot in Indianapolis :lol:

Can you name 5 QBs you'd rather have? Maybe.

Honestly dude,...there's no maybe.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

Matthew Stafford

Josh Freeman

After these guys,..everybody else is pretty much the same guy,..the "somewhere in between solid to awful" QB, including Roethlisberger. IMHO

Not to say that a team can't win with guys like that,...i'm just saying people shouldn't get beside themselves and consider them the heart and soul of and or the most valuable players on their respective teams when that is in FACT far from truth.

skyhawk
02-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Whoops...I even forgot about Cam "Back to Earth" Newton, Matthew "The only QB who is injured more often than Ben" Stafford, and of course Peyton "now it's FOUR neck surgeries" Manning. What a funny post...I'll grant him Brady, Rodgers, and Brees (even though Ben has the same amount of non-SpyGate-assisted championships as those 3 guys combined :D ).

The Colts would never trade their selection (and for all intents and purposes Luck) for Roethlisberger.

Dude, it's only a percentage of the Steeler Nation that actually believes that Roethlisberger is elite when they say that nonsense. Colts fans would nearly riot in Indianapolis :lol:

Can you name 5 QBs you'd rather have? Maybe.

Honestly dude,...there's no maybe.

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

Matthew Stafford

Josh Freeman

After these guys,..everybody else is pretty much the same guy,..the "somewhere in between solid to awful" QB, including Roethlisberger. IMHO

Not to say that a team can't win with guys like that,...i'm just saying people shouldn't get beside themselves and consider them the heart and soul of and or the most valuable players on their respective teams when that is in FACT far from truth.

barf :wft