PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Did Tom Brady spat fuel Todd Haley hiring?

hawaiiansteel
02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Gerry: Did Brady spat fuel Haley hiring?

FRIDAY, 10 FEBRUARY 2012 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

From the time Todd Haley first interviewed to become offensive coordinator, I became convinced the Steelers’ decision to hire him was based on something they saw in early December in another NFL game.

Remember the sideline spat between Tom Brady and Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien (now the Penn State coach) against the Washington Redskins that was caught on camera?

That’s when Brady threw a fourth-quarter interception in the end zone with the Patriots leading, 34-27, giving the Redskins another chance to tie the game.

O’Brien came over to him on the bench and the two began yelling at each other, with other players and coaches trying to keep him from going at Brady some more. Even Bill Belichick came over to calm O’Brien.

Nobody has ever said to this to me, but I think when the Steelers saw the video of the spat, just like everyone else in America, they thought, “If their coordinator can scream and yell at Tom Brady, why can’t our coordinator scream and yell at Ben Roethlisberger?”

Layered underneath the decision to not renew Arians’ contract and to subsequently hire Haley is that the Steelers feel their quarterback needs to have a tighter rein, whether from his own good or the good of the entire offense. If that means yelling at him when something goes wrong, so be it.

This is not to suggest Ben Roethlisberger is out of control or autonomously running amok in the Steelers offense . Far from it. But when the team president says his two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback needs to “tweak his game,” he is saying something is amiss.

When Art Rooney II refers to Roethlisberger’s long-term health and the pounding he continues to take, he is not referring to the inadequacies of the offensive line or the need for a new left guard. He is saying the quarterback is holding the ball way too long and needs to throw it away more often – not just for his sake but, perhaps more important, the sake of the team.

And, when he doesn’t, he needs to be reminded of it immediately, even if it means a sideline spanking or a public scolding.

I’ve run my belief by several coaches familiar with the Steelers situation and they agreed it is possible that what happened with Brady – arguably the finest quarterback in the game – could have influenced the Steelers decision.

I’m not saying I’m right. I’m not saying that’s the only reason they hired Haley. But I bet I’m not too far wrong.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ley-hiring (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114807-gerry-did-brady-spat-fuel-haley-hiring)

7 UP
02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
This article is a total load of garbage. Im really getting tired of reading the crap sportswriters are throwing out there right now about the Steelers. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe they hired Haley because after they interviewed a few candidates they decided he was the best one for the job?

Chavezz
02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
I think they plan on cutting Keisel. Since Haley has a beard they hired him to carry the Beard Torch.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-11-2012, 10:32 PM
here comes the silly season.

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I think they plan on cutting Keisel. Since Haley has a beard they hired him to carry the Beard Torch.

Keisel did a proactive beard shave to avoid being cut. :lol:

Keisel shaves off his beard for charity
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted Feb 9, 2012

Only in Pittsburgh would fans don their Steelers jerseys, get a “defense” chant going and loudly cheer on players and coaches as they shaved a teammate’s beard.

That is what a packed house did at Diesel Club Lounge on Thursday night when Brett Keisel took part in the second annual “Shear Da Beard,” shaving off the popular beard he has been growing since this past summer.

“You wouldn’t be able to go to too many cities and say ‘What are you doing tonight? I am going down to watch a guy shave his beard,’” said Keisel. “That is what makes Pittsburgh special. They have grasped on to this idea and really made it what it is today. If the fans didn’t respond to it the way they did, I wouldn’t do it.”

The event raised money for cancer programs at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh at UMPC. Keisel chose the charity after watching what teammate and close friend Aaron Smith has gone through with his son Elijah, who has battled leukemia and received treatment at Children’s Hospital.

With Elijah now recently in remission, it was only fitting that he was the first one to cut Keisel’s beard, followed by his father.

“This is unbelievable,” said Smith. “It was actually very emotional driving down here with him to do this. The difference this makes in the kids’ lives is unbelievable.

“I can’t say enough about how Elijah is doing. Just to wake up every day and thank the dear Lord for what we have. You learn to appreciate what you have and be content with what you have.”

Keisel even got emotional when introducing the Smiths, proving the bond that they have extends far beyond the football field.

“I am very close with Aaron. He is like a big brother to me,” said Keisel. “They have been through a lot and Children’s Hospital has been tremendous for them.

“Elijah is as tough as they come. That comes from his mother and father. They have done a great job raising their children. They have taught them to fight and have a great relationship with the big man upstairs and you can get through anything with his help.”

Also taking snips from Keisel’s beard were Steelers president Art Rooney II, Coach Mike Tomlin, defensive line coach John Mitchell and teammates James Harrison, Doug Legursky, Heath Miller and Chris Hoke.

Tomlin took a few snips off of Keisel’s mustache, joking about how he twirls it in the office, while Harrison took cut after cut, getting closer in on the mustache and beard with each snip of the scissors.

“It feels great,” said a clean shaven and much-younger looking Keisel afterwards. “I can feel the air against my cheek again. It feels weird. It’s strange because I have had the beard for so long.

“It was a great night down here. Pittsburgh showed up tonight and came down here to raise money for Children’s Hospital.”

Keisel got his chance to get the scissors in his hands when he got to cut off a bit of his father Lane’s beard. The two started growing their beards together on his dad’s birthday, June 25.

“We were up camping in Wyoming talking about the beard and he said Pop you have to grow one with me,” said Lane Keisel. “I told him I wouldn’t shave until he did.

“I am really proud of him because he is such a good guy and what he did this for. He is a good person and I am most proud of that.”

The evening also included a live auction of unique paintings of Keisel with the beard, and a bidding war even ensued between Smith, Harrison and Tomlin, with Tomlin winning out in the end. The best part about it, the more they bid against each other, the more the hospital benefitted.

“Tonight is very special,” said Dr. Jake Cooper, who is Elijah Smith’s physician in the oncology department at Children’s. “In a town like Pittsburgh knowing their sports heroes care about them means the world to our kids.

“It’s a pretty unique event. It’s a fun thing. It fits with the Pittsburgh mystic.”

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/community/2012/2012_Keisel_shear_da_beard_small.jpg

A clean shaven Brett Keisel and his father Lane.

Photo Gallery Here: http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/photo-gallery/Shear-Da-Beard---2-9/157896ce-4954-4b25-a5cf-8e30da727c77

hawaiiansteel
02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Keisel's before and after pics:

http://p.twimg.com/AlPBMU4CIAAxw5C.jpghttp://p.twimg.com/AlQrQ6KCEAEFKBZ.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/bkeisel99/status/ ... 44/photo/1 (http://twitter.com/#!/bkeisel99/status/167806655608786944/photo/1)

NJ-STEELER
02-12-2012, 01:07 AM
imposible

brady never makes a mistake

Iron Shiek
02-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Geez, its only been a week and i'm already so sick of all the articles and comments about how haley and ben are going to interact and co-exist. And that the rooneys overruled tomlin and "threw a bone" to d_ick haley's son...blah, blah, freaking blah.

How about its that they just liked what haley brings to the table and that they feel he is the best person to develop the offense. All this other bull$hit doesn't matter to me.

I'm so sure they hired Haley just because they saw obrien yelling at brady. Give me a freakin break.

I want to kick something right now.

sentinel33
02-12-2012, 02:42 PM
'bout as ignorant an article as i have ever read. What the crap!?

hawaiiansteel
02-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 2.15.12

WEDNESDAY, 15 FEBRUARY 2012 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Gerry Dulac: All right, I'm ready to rock if you are. Fire away....

Taz: Hi Gerry. Any idea who is up next for a contract restructure?

Gerry Dulac: Taz, I don't have an official list in front of me, of course, nor will I, but I'm sure players such as Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu and Willie Colon for sure; and, if they decide to bring back James Farrior, him for sure.

Marty: What are the chances the Steelers trade up to get Trent Richardson?

Gerry Dulac: About as good as them bringing back Hines Ward.

Emperor Chaz: Will the Rooney's step in and make Colbert give Hines a contract offer?

Gerry Dulac: That is a small small small possibility. But, if it does happen, that edict will come from Dan Rooney, not Art II.

hockeyone: Does Aaron Smith's contract still count against the cap? If so do you think the Steelers still want him back?

Gerry Dulac: Of course it does. That's what they are in the process of determining. Let me say this: I think Aaron Smith's chances of returning are better than Hines Ward but not as good as Casey Hampton's. But, if he does come back for one final season, it will not be as a starter. It will be as a situational player.

GjSteel: Gerry, Isn't all this panic about the cap overblown...The Steelers have had issues even last year and still found a way to do what they needed?

Gerry Dulac: I wouldn't say overblown, but it is a significant issue. Some of the decisions, like getting rid of McFadden and Arnaz Battle were easy. And the restructuring is not always that difficult because, as I've said many times before, the players actually benefit from restructuring because they are given more up-front money in terms of a signing bonus. Do not think the players are being magnanimous and taking one for the team by restructuring. Some of the other decisions will get a little tougher, of course, like what to do with Ward, Smith, Farrior, Chris Kemoeatu and even Larry Foote. But nobody does this better than the Steelers, who handle salary caps the way Phil Mickelson handled Tiger Woods on Sunday.

Taz: Hi Gerry. When will the Steelers start hosting players for on-site interviews?

Gerry Dulac: Not till free agency begins, which is shortly after the scouting combine that begins next Wednesday.

Ken: Gerry, any new information on Polamalu's off season training? I don't mean this like it sounds, but he doesn't appear to be aging well, in a football sense (see the AJ Green touchdown). Some don't--Levon Kirkland comes to mind.

Gerry Dulac: No new information, nor do I anticipate any to be forthcoming because he typically spends the offseason training in California. I do not believe Polamalu should be judged on his pass-defending ability. He does not do that as well as, say Ed Reed; nor does he do that as well as his primary role as a strong safety, which is to play near the line of scrimmage, plug gaps, make plays in the backfield, blitz, strip the ball from the quarterback and, on occasion, make the acrobatic and timed leap over the lineman to make a tackle. Last time I checked those plays, he seems to be aging quite gracefully.

jon from robinson: Are you concerned that the Post Gazette is turning into a gossip rag given it's handling of the Arians to Haley transition?

Gerry Dulac: Not until we go to a tabloid format and run stories on alien babies.

Bill: Best Dermontti Dawson memory? I remember him making Green Bay's Gilbert Brown look like a turnstile on MNF once.

Gerry Dulac: I don't recall that, but I do recall the greatness, the grace and the gentleman, not to mention his quickness to pull and his ability to turn a nose tackle as though he was a doorknob. There have been many players come through the Steelers locker room and Dermontti Dawson is near the top, if not at the top, as my all-time favorite. As great as he was as a player, he is even a better person.

Peter King: If Hines doesn't catch another pass does he get into the HOF before Cris carter?

Gerry Dulac: He should -- I doubt he will -- but he should. The cries for Cris Carter will grow louder each year and he will get in long before Ward has to wait the obligatory five years. But understand this too -- Hines Ward is no first-ballot Hall of Famer. There will be a lot of people who will pass on him, more so than Dermontti Dawson and even Jerome Bettis.

BOB: IF BOTH WARD AND FARRIOR LEAVE WHO WILL BECOME THE VOCAL LEADER OF THIS TEAM. I FELT LAST YEARS TEAM WAS LACKING IN EMOTION AND NONE OF THE YOUNGER GUYS PROVIDED ANY?

Gerry Dulac: Bill Hillgrove.

Gerry Dulac: That's all the time we have today, boys and girls. Thanx for the questions. I'll be traveling to the combine next Wednesday so our chat will likely be rescheduled. Keep your eyes open for the time change.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ript-21512 (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114876-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-21512)