PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger or Eli Manning?

fordfixer
02-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Poll results: Roethlisberger or Eli Manning?
February, 10, 2012
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... li-manning (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42224/poll-results-roethlisberger-or-eli-manning)

By Jamison Hensley
Eli Manning won the Super Bowl but he failed to win the hearts of the AFC North blog family.

In a SportsNation poll, 69 percent of voters say the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger is the best quarterback of the 2004 draft. Manning, who was selected first overall in that draft, received 23 percent in a poll that drew over 12,000 votes.

The results aren't surprising, and it would probably be reversed if this poll was taken in the NFC East. Honestly, it comes down to a matter of preference because the numbers are close.

Manning is coming off his second Super Bowl championship and captured his second Super Bowl Most Valuable Player award. He has thrown for 27,579 yards, with 185 touchdowns and 129 interceptions. Manning has directed 21 fourth-quarter comebacks and his overall record (including postseason) is 74-53 (.582).

Roethlisberger is also a two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, although he has yet to win the MVP award. He has passed for 26,579 (exactly 1,000 less than Manning), with 165 touchdowns and 100 interceptions. Roethlisberger has 20 fourth-quarter comebacks and his record is 90-36 (.714).

My vote would have gone to "Too Close To Call," which only garnered 5 percent of the vote. Philip Rivers, who was taken fourth overall in the 2004 draft, received 3 percent of the vote

sentinel33
02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Ben's been doin' it from the break. Without the pedigree.

It'll always be Ben. Don't care what happens. Eli is good, but he's no Roethlisberger.

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I vote for J.P. Losman. :lol:

7 UP
02-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Looking at it from a Non-Homer point of view I will call this one a draw. Ben has more wins and less Ints. Eli has more TDs and more yards. Both have two Super Bowls. Kind of hard to make a case for either one over the other.

Flasteel
02-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Nice try, but here are some other critical numbers we measure quarterbacks by:
Eli Manning career numbers
Comp. % - 58.4
YPA - 7.0
Passer Rating - 82.1

Ben Roethlisberger career numbers
Comp. % - 63.1
YPA - 8.0
Passer Rating - 92.1

Ozey74
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Both have two Super Bowls. Kind of hard to make a case for either one over the other.

Ben has a a Super Bowl loss. I know it's not a win, but he is +1 on Eli in getting his team to the big game.

7 UP
02-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Both have two Super Bowls. Kind of hard to make a case for either one over the other.

Ben has a a Super Bowl loss. I know it's not a win, but he is +1 on Eli in getting his team to the big game.

Like I said Im trying to look at the comparison as a non-homer. If I personally had to pick 1 Id take Ben. But then again Im pretty biased.

Captain Lemming
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Trying to be unbiased I'd say career to date Ben easy. Ben has unique "gifts" that Eli will never have. However, Eli who came in a a pure scrub, has "grown" as a QB more than Ben has though. Ben was a rookie prodigy due to his gifts, but has grown little.

Ben just throws more, so he gets more yards but he is not more effective than his early years.

TODAY I would say it's too close to call. If the trend continues, Eli will "end up" as a better QB.

Hopefully, the change in coaching will get Ben on an upward trajectory.

feltdizz
02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Trying to be unbiased I'd say career to date Ben easy. Ben has unique "gifts" that Eli will never have. However, Eli who came in a a pure scrub, has "grown" as a QB more than Ben has though. Ben was a rookie prodigy due to his gifts, but has grown little.

Ben just throws more, so he gets more yards but he is not more effective than his early years.

TODAY I would say it's too close to call. If the trend continues, Eli will "end up" as a better QB.

I think it's too close to call... Ben had a better start but hasn't improved much.

Ben has yards but he doesn't have TD's and while he has another SB appearance Eli was been head and shoulders above Ben in SB production.

I doubt any Steeler fan would say Eli had an advantage if he had an extra SB appearance along with Ben's SB stats...

Northern_Blitz
02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd rather have Ben. But I wouldn't mind having Eli.

grotonsteel
02-12-2012, 09:12 PM

I think it's too close to call... Ben had a better start but hasn't improved much.

Ben has yards but he doesn't have TD's and while he has another SB appearance Eli was been head and shoulders above Ben in SB production.

I doubt any Steeler fan would say Eli had an advantage if he had an extra SB appearance along with Ben's SB stats...

Maybe Ben does not have TDs but he also does not have INT. Also someone suggested he has more yards because he throws more?? Really. Why is his YPA better overall then?? You can't have more TD if you are not throwing the ball more.

Eli Manning has lead in INT in NFL twice. If it was Ben the case Steelers fans would have brought down the house.

To each there own but i guess grass is green on other side for few fans... :roll:

Look at the difference in Attempt and INT and there is hardly any difference in yards.

Eli Manning

Comp Att TD INT
2,291 3,921 185 129

Ben:
Comp Att TD INT
2,090 3,313 165 100

feltdizz
02-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I haven't seen anyone say they want Eli but Eli is definitely gaining ground on Ben.

grotonsteel
02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I haven't seen anyone say they want Eli but Eli is definitely gaining ground on Ben.

Eli had one good year and even then he had not totally outplayed Ben if you look at all the things that happened in 2011 on Steelers Offensive side this season.

Well its more about distorted facts by some Steelers fans. Ben throws more...Ben should have more TD with less Attempts...but again to each their own i guess.

feltdizz
02-12-2012, 09:46 PM

Eli had one good year and even then he had not totally outplayed Ben if you look at all the things that happened in 2011 on Steelers Offensive side this season.

Well its more about distorted facts by some Steelers fans. Ben throws more...Ben should have more TD with less Attempts...but again to each their own i guess.

Eli outplayed Ben this year... not sure how anyone can argue otherwise.

Ben still has the better career but he needs to get it in gear because Eli has 2 rings and 2 MVP's (I think).

grotonsteel
02-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Eli outplayed Ben this year... not sure how anyone can argue otherwise.

Ben still has the better career but he needs to get it in gear because Eli has 2 rings and 2 MVP's (I think).

Eli had 29 TD-16 INT season. How did Eli outplayed Ben is a mystery to me. He had a better season yes, outplayed no.

Now if you say Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady or Matt Stafford or Drew Brees outplayed Ben yes i will agree.

As far as Ben's play goes i believe he will continue to play well as long as he has healthy O-line.

Captain Lemming
02-12-2012, 11:35 PM

I wouldn't go that far. When you include the reular season, it is not hard to make a legit case for Ben. While Ben has not improved much, Ben's ROOKIE numbers in QB rating, YPA, and passing percentage would be career highs for Eli.

Let me add, Bens average 63 percent would be a CAREER HIGH for Eli.

Captain Lemming
02-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Maybe Ben does not have TDs but he also does not have INT. Also someone suggested he has more yards because he throws more?? Really. Why is his YPA better overall then??

You are refering to what "I" said. Allow me to clarify. I said:

"Ben just throws more, so he gets more yards but he is not more effective than his early years."
The "more yards" is not in comparison to Eli. This was comparing Bens early years to now. The context was that I was saying Eli has improve alot (mentioning it is because he started a scrub). Ben has not impoved much from his amazing start. Ben only has more YARDS than he had early on because he throws more now. In number that are meaningful is the QUALITY of his play he has not grown much, in some ways digressed. He has just more QUANTITY nowadays which is a function of attepmts.

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2012, 12:21 AM

Maybe Ben does not have TDs but he also does not have INT. Also someone suggested he has more yards because he throws more?? Really. Why is his YPA better overall then?? You can't have more TD if you are not throwing the ball more.

Eli Manning has lead in INT in NFL twice. If it was Ben the case Steelers fans would have brought down the house.

To each there own but i guess grass is green on other side for few fans... :roll:

Look at the difference in Attempt and INT and there is hardly any difference in yards.

Eli Manning

Comp Att TD INT
2,291 3,921 185 129

Ben:
Comp Att TD INT
2,090 3,313 165 100

Ben's career TD percentage is 5.0% and his career INT percentage is 3.0%.

Eli's career TD percentage is 4.7% and his career INT percentage is 3.3%.

A lower career TD percentage and a higher career INT percentage equals an inferior QB.

feltdizz
02-13-2012, 12:52 AM

I wouldn't go that far. When you include the reular season, it is not hard to make a legit case for Ben. While Ben has not improved much, Ben's ROOKIE numbers in QB rating, YPA, and passing percentage would be career highs for Eli.

I think if Ben had 2 SB apperances with 2 MVPs and 2 rings we would laugh at fans who pointed to a QB with 2 rings, 1 loss and a rating of 22... plus 3 or 4 ugly INT's in those games.

Ben has the better career but his SB performances outside of the last drive in 2008 have been mediocre.

Captain Lemming
02-13-2012, 01:04 AM

Eli Manning

Comp Att TD INT
2,291 3,921 185 129

Ben:
Comp Att TD INT
2,090 3,313 165 100

Ben's career TD percentage is 5.0% and his career INT percentage is 3.0%.

Eli's career TD percentage is 4.7% and his career INT percentage is 3.3%.

A lower career TD percentage and a higher career INT percentage equals an inferior QB.

I dont think anyone is debating their repective CAREERS to this point.

Who is better RIGHT NOW is the only question.
This year Eli has a better TD percent higher YPA, higher QB rating, the same int percentage, was better in the clutch, and oh yeah, he has another ring.

Eli had a better year, still has had recent struggles with consistency (just last year he had horrible LONG stretches) but overall he is improving.

The question is whether Eli can be consistent. He had another "hot streak" during his last SB run then because inconsistent again. That is why I cannot say who is better "right now".

My guess is that if Ben remains static, improving Eli will (perhaps has) surpass Ben.

Captain Lemming
02-13-2012, 01:31 AM

I think if Ben had 2 SB apperances with 2 MVPs and 2 rings we would laugh at fans who pointed to a QB with 2 rings, 1 loss and a rating of 22... plus 3 or 4 ugly INT's in those games.

Ben has the better career but his SB performances outside of the last drive in 2008 have been mediocre.

I have never ever heard a Steeler fan dis a multiple SB winning QB for "HOW" they played in a SB they WON. Steeler fans I know just tend to just count rings.

And you bring up the Seahawks game? Really?
Yeah, Ben had a bad SB, he was a nervous kid but had an outstanding playoff.
What did Eli do that year in the post season 3 picks 0 tds and got shut out by a "mighty" Panther defense in the ONE GAME he played in.

Having even a "bad" SB WIN as a sophmore is UNPRECIDENTED Diz. You are not supposed to even get there.

feltdizz
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
[quote]

I have never ever heard a Steeler fan dis a multiple SB winning QB for "HOW" they played in a SB they WON. Steeler fans I know just tend to just count rings.

And you bring up the Seahawks game? Really?
Yeah, Ben had a bad SB, he was a nervous kid but had an outstanding playoff.
What did Eli do that year in the post season 3 picks 0 tds and got shut out by a "mighty" Panther defense in the ONE GAME he played in.

Having even a "bad" SB WIN as a sophmore is UNPRECIDENTED Diz. You are not supposed to even get there.[/quote:3tqp57k1]

I've already stated multiple times Ben has the better career but I'm trying to be unbias when discussing this. If you count rings both have 2... and then the discussion points to how they played in those SB's.

I'm also playing devil's advocate... it's no fun IMO to have all of us saying Ben and ending the discussion.. I'm not dissing the SB win, I drove up to Detroit and froze my butt celebrating downtown.

DBR96A
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
:!: (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=252778#p252778) <-- click here