PDA

View Full Version : Lolley on Haley Hiring

phillyesq
02-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I really like his take on the move:

Thoughts on Haley

I have largely reserved my thoughts on the Steelers' hiring of Todd Haley to this point.

But after meeting with Haley today and then hearing what Ben Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette, I can hold back no longer.

Roethlisberger reportedly told the P-G that he has heard from a lot of people regarding Haley, some good some bad, but that he is reserving judgment.

He then, however, said he'd hate to see the offense changed because it could set the team's young receivers back two or three years.

Which ones? The ones who have only been in the league for two or three years?

That is a ridiculous statement by Roethlisberger and, though Haley did not address the quarterback's comments directly, he did say that players usually see that he has their best interests at heart when he is doing things.

Roethlisberger liked Bruce Arians. And he was comfortable with Arians as offensive coordinator because he got to call a lot of the shots.

That dynamic is now gone and Roethlisberger is wary of what the results will be.

I get that.

But the Steelers made the decision to move on from Arians because they felt he was an enabler.

We always heard the excuses. The Steelers were a play away here or there, they weren't all on the same page, etc., etc.

Haley won't settle for excuses. He'll want results.

And if that means not playing Chris Kemoeatu at left guard for two seasons longer than he should have, so be it.

If that means Roethlisberger will be forced to get the ball out of his hands more quickly to take fewer sacks in an attempt to keep him from being injured, that's just dandy as well.

Haley has shown that he's not afraid to call what he thinks his team does best. When he was with the Cardinals, it was a prolific passing attack. When he moved on to Kansas City, a power-running game took over.

As Haley said Thursday, his emphasis is on winning. And Roethlisberger, who is as competitive as they come, won't have a problem with that.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2012/02/thoughts-on-haley.html#links

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Imagine that...a Pittsburgh sportwriter that actually analyzes the situation from multiple perspectives and then comes to a reasoned, logical conclusion (as opposed to reactionary whining and conjuring up controversy out of thin air).

pittpete
02-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Imagine that...a Pittsburgh sportwriter that actually analyzes the situation from multiple perspectives and then comes to a reasoned, logical conclusion (as opposed to reactionary whining and conjuring up controversy out of thin air).

Ditto man :tt1

SteelBucks
02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Brovo Lolley....very well said! :Clap :Clap :Clap

Oviedo
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM

:Agree Time for Ben to be a professional and do whatever is asked of him. I've said for years that he can be the best QB in the league if he just gets over his vertical attack fixation and realizes he leaves plays on the field because he wants the big bang.

My opinion was that Arians took this offense as far as he could (like another coordinator we have) and change was needed. This may be awkward but I think it will be good for this team going forward.

williar
02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Good article by Lolley. So far, I have been disappointed in Ben's attitude, which should comes as no surprise. I mean, Ben is as notorious for saying dumb things as he is taking too many sacks. He should take a cue from Tomlin and just zip it! Ben should know by now that everything he says about this potentially volatile situation is going to be a sports headline... It's like he is already trying to cause a rift and hasn't even met Haley yet... It's very frustrating because this guy still can't seem to see the forest for the trees...

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
I've said for years that he can be the best QB in the league if he just gets over his vertical attack fixation and realizes he leaves plays on the field because he wants the big bang.

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/rmNMM7dEkqmndxyiqJQ8iRXgo1_500.png

Slapstick
02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
My opinion was that Arians took this offense as far as he could (like another coordinator we have) and change was needed.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

I salute your ability to shoehorn an irrelevant dig at LeBeau into a completely unrelated topic...

Your journey to the dark side is complete...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_q56qYWJWy6A/TXpWkgo6llI/AAAAAAAACyA/5rRkynptZsU/Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/darth/images/7/76/Darth_Vader.jpg

http://www.darthmaul.net/pictures_pics_images_photos/darth_maul_sith_lords_1.jpg

Oviedo
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
My opinion was that Arians took this offense as far as he could (like another coordinator we have) and change was needed.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

I salute your ability to shoehorn an irrelevant dig at LeBeau into a completely unrelated topic...

Your journey to the dark side is complete...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_q56qYWJWy6A/TXpWkgo6llI/AAAAAAAACyA/5rRkynptZsU/Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/darth/images/7/76/Darth_Vader.jpg

http://www.darthmaul.net/pictures_pics_images_photos/darth_maul_sith_lords_1.jpg

My often stated opinion has always been that both coordinators needed to go. That's not a dig, that is consistency. :wink:

Far from being on the dark side I see it as being the light bearer who brings hope to those who live in the shadows of the past :wink:

Slapstick
02-10-2012, 01:46 PM
My often stated opinion has always been that both coordinators needed to go. That's not a dig, that is consistency. :wink:

Far from being on the dark side I see it as being the light bearer who brings hope to those who live in the shadows of the past :wink:

Only on this board is a guy who won two SB rings as a DC within the last ten years considered to be a poor DC... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ghost
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Blitz or blitz not, there is no try - Yoda LeBeau

Oviedo
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM

Too bad Yoda has seemingly forgotten that you can blitz other than the two OLB. When they are the only ones going 90% of the time it isn't fooling anyone.

Jigawatts
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Haley has shown that he's not afraid to call what he thinks his team does best. When he was with the Cardinals, it was a prolific passing attack. When he moved on to Kansas City, a power-running game took over.

A willingness to adjust. This is crazy talk.

... and if he tries adjusting in a game.. WOW... that's even crazier talk.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 05:12 PM

LeBeau is indeed Yoda.

“Stats matters not, ... Look at me. Judge me by stats, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Lombardi Trophy, and a powerful ally it is. ”

"When seventy-four years old you reach, look as good, you will not, hmmm?"

"I cannot teach him. The rookie has no patience."

"Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Steeler craves not these things. You are reckless."

"Mudhole? Heinz Field? My home this is!"

"Much anger in Harrison... like Greg Lloyd."

"That place...M&T Bank Stadium...is strong with the dark side of the Force. A domain of evil it is. In you must go."

Steelgal
02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I've said for years that he can be the best QB in the league if he just gets over his vertical attack fixation and realizes he leaves plays on the field because he wants the big bang.

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/rmNMM7dEkqmndxyiqJQ8iRXgo1_500.png

by far, my favorite show on TV.

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Being a huge nerd myself who married an out-of-my-league blonde, I can relate.

Now, though, even my 7 year old daughter wants to watch it...her favorite shows now are iCarly, VicTORIous, and Big Bang Theory. At first, we had to explain to her that the guys were super-smart, because she just thought it was funny that those guys seemed so dumb to her.

Steelgal
02-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Now, though, even my 7 year old daughter wants to watch it...her favorite shows now are iCarly, VicTORIous, and Big Bang Theory. At first, we had to explain to her that the guys were super-smart, because she just thought it was funny that those guys seemed so dumb to her.

I joke with my 15 year old son, that he has many Sheldon qualities. He's tall, thin, brunette, smart, afraid of girls, into video games, and has no desire to learn how to drive. He's also very organized. He doesn't see it, but we just laugh at some of their similaries.

ikestops85
02-14-2012, 10:39 AM

I joke with my 15 year old son, that he has many Sheldon qualities. He's tall, thin, brunette, smart, afraid of girls, into video games, and has no desire to learn how to drive. He's also very organized. He doesn't see it, but we just laugh at some of their similaries.

My son went to the Colorado School of Mines which is filled with brainiacs. He said the people there don't realize its a comedy. They think its a reality show. :lol: :lol:

Shawn
02-14-2012, 11:28 AM
No doubt in my mind that Lebeau is a DC genius. He has been a terrific DC for many years. But, there is something I have noticed as coaches age. Their ability to make in game adjustments slows, and they become more rigid with their playcalling. That is a problem. With that said, I am very scared about the thought of switching DCs.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Lost in the mess of the offense is that we moved the ball very well this year.......until we got close to the force field known as the end zone. It was as if the Steelers and the opposing end zone were positive sides of two magnets repelling each other (trying to sound sooper smrt with all of that there Big Bang Theory tok)

I think that there is a fine line from where we were this year and success putting up points. If we can make those adjustments then we will be a different team, and I think that Haley has the offensive mind to do this - and yet the personality to cause a Big Bang.

Looking back at the career of Bruce Arians, I would say that the biggest complaint can be summed up as not able to take advantage of the skill set of his personell.

- Running Mendenhall up the middle constantly when he should get the ball in space.
- Sending our receivers 50 yards deep when we have a line who can only hold the D for 3 seconds.
- Constantly throwing the bubble screen to our slowest receiver.

Looking at Haley's career, it seems that he identifies his strengths and caters to them - has Fitz, Boldin and Warner in Arizona and turns Warner's career around while turning them into a passing machine. Has two good backs and a grinding OL in KC and makes them the league's best run team. He is not married to a system, he plays to the skills of his players. That will be what creates success for him in Pittsburgh.