PDA

View Full Version : So Who's Next??

AkronSteel
02-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Now that the restructures are done on Woodley and Timmons, which we all knew were coming. Plus, BMac and Arnaz Battle being cut, which we also knew was coming. Who is the next player on the chopping block? There is a solid list of candidates, for sure!!!

1) Aaron Smith - sad to say but the end has come and gone!
2) James Farrior - too slow and cannot go sideline to sideline like he used to!
3) Larry Foote - wouldn't mind seeing him back but at a reduced rate.
4) Casey Hampton - 3 knee injuries for a 35 year old NT.....I'll pass!!!
5) Hines Ward - seemed to really drop off in production and lost the ability to seperate.
6) Will Allen - just overpaid.
7) Chris Kemoeatu - yes, I know he should be much higher on the candidate list but I forget about him!!!
8 ) Willie Colon??? I doubt it but stranger things have happened!!

For most of these guys, I will be very sad to see them go, well some of them anyways. They have been part of the cornerstone of the Steelers for a decade or more. I just feel the time has come for the torch to be passed and the younger guys on this squad to step to the forefront. I would expect most or all of these guys to be gone before September. Who do you guys think will be the first one to go??

papillon
02-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Now that the restructures are done on Woodley and Timmons, which we all knew were coming. Plus, BMac and Arnaz Battle being cut, which we also knew was coming. Who is the next player on the chopping block? There is a solid list of candidates, for sure!!!

5) Hines Ward - seemed to really drop off in production and lost the ability to seperate.
7) Chris Kemoeatu - yes, I know he should be much higher on the candidate list but I forget about him!!!

For most of these guys, I will be very sad to see them go, well some of them anyways. They have been part of the cornerstone of the Steelers for a decade or more. I just feel the time has come for the torch to be passed and the younger guys on this squad to step to the forefront. I would expect most or all of these guys to be gone before September. Who do you guys think will be the first one to go??

Unfortunately, I think that Aaron Smith is next. I also believe that they might cut and then resign Hampton for depth, but I'm not sure if that helps the cap situation or not. I think Foote gets another year with the black and gold; Kemo has to go at some point, not because od salary, but because of brain cramps.

Farrior and Ward may redo and play for vet minimum as depth if possible, if not, they'll two of the last to go, IMHO.

Pappy

Mo_Steel
02-10-2012, 01:16 AM
I think if they can get under the cap for NFL purposes they will do this with the restructures and cut guys that don't sky rocket the dead money to the point of further cap armageddon. Folks like Kemo will be post June 1 cuts because they don't save enough versus the cap and can't spread out the hit the way you can post June 1st. Hampton may get the axe I don't think he has enough room to restructure and be much savings from the articles I have read.

You can't really just start cutting a bunch because then you leave the holes that have to be filled by at least a minimum guy for that Rule of 51 that kicks in at begining of each league year and if you didn't save enough to begin with plus about $490,000 then you haven't made any headway because you have lost a body and not saved any money. I think probably Roethlisberger restructure from my understanding and possible extension to make the restructure stretch farther will get us to the cap but still no room for Wallace tender; which most assume will happen.

Been trying to get the info from various sources not many that allow us to share back here. I also believe they don't like having to restructure but next year the TV revenues kick back in and its a gamble that the cap will increase dramatically so we really need to weather this storm for now and will be a very exciting off season all the way around.

Chadman
02-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Will Allen & Jonathon Scott kind of jump out a bit.

The longer it takes for Aaron Smith to say he's retiring, the more Chadman thinks he might not be.

Hampton will be one of the last cuts, if he is cut- as Chadman is sure they'll want him to stick around if possible. Farrior & Foote will be hand-in-hand situations- one stays & one goes most likely.

Now that Haley is on board- maybe Ward is the next to restructure- if Haley wants Ward to stick around.

Kemo will last for as long as it takes to get Legs & Foster re-signed. They won't go into the draft with 0 OG's signed up for next season. Could he get extended? Quite possible..

hawaiiansteel
02-10-2012, 02:46 AM
this guy should be next, and I'm not referring to Ben...

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chris+Kemoeatu+Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Buffalo+Yl5RE shW2Nol.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers escapes the rush while Chris Kemoeatu #68 holds Kyle Williams #95 of the Buffalo Bills

StarSpangledSteeler
02-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Someone explain to me why we can't cut Farrior AND Foote? Sly knows the playbook. And he is faster and more athletic than Foote. So what is Foote's purpose? Depth? How about drafting a stud like Bobby Wagner in the 2nd round? That is true depth. Right now Farrior and Foote are two old slow guys who know the playbook but don't make any big plays. And then we wonder why our run defense sucks.

Chadman
02-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Someone explain to me why we can't cut Farrior AND Foote? Sly knows the playbook. And he is faster and more athletic than Foote. So what is Foote's purpose? Depth? How about drafting a stud like Bobby Wagner in the 2nd round? That is true depth. Right now Farrior and Foote are two old slow guys who know the playbook but don't make any big plays. And then we wonder why our run defense sucks.

They could- but it's unlikely. The Steelers have really given no indication they feel Sylvester is ready- no increase in actual playing time, no coach coming out & saying he's the future- nothing.

How often do you see the Steelers go into a season with a wholly untested player being expected to step in as a starter?

It'll be Farrior, or Foote. The question is- do they see Sylvester as the ILB of the future or not? The draft should tell- if they add an ILB early, Chadman guesses we have our answer.

rpmpit
02-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Kemo to NT. Discuss...

steelblood
02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Can you imagine a year in which we would have to pay Wood, Timmons, Troy, and Deebo 10-13 million each and Ben 20 million? That would be about 70 million, more than half the cap on 5 players. Salary cap hell is not pleasant.

Enough restructuring. Time to trim the fat around here!

phillyesq
02-10-2012, 09:54 AM

They could- but it's unlikely. The Steelers have really given no indication they feel Sylvester is ready- no increase in actual playing time, no coach coming out & saying he's the future- nothing.

How often do you see the Steelers go into a season with a wholly untested player being expected to step in as a starter?

It'll be Farrior, or Foote. The question is- do they see Sylvester as the ILB of the future or not? The draft should tell- if they add an ILB early, Chadman guesses we have our answer.
:Agree

I really think the Steelers will, and should, keep one of those guys. Neither of those guys is the player they were, but both know the defense and call the plays when in the game.

Having Farrior or Foote to tutor a rookie ILB for a year would be worthwhile. If Sylvester was the answer, I assume he would have been pushing for playing time, but I haven't seen it, yet.

phillyesq
02-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Hopefully he will retire, but if he doesn't, I don't think that his base salary is very significant.

I think one of these guys comes back, ideally at a reduced rate.

Most of his cap hit is in the form of old signing bonuses. This is a tricky situation.

Needs to take a pay cut at the very minimum.

Bye. Very replaceable.

May be post June 1 cut. Little savings by cutting him now.

The way his bonus was structured, I think cutting him does little to help the cap situation this year. He's probably around for another year.

As I think Chadman pointed out, J. Scott is an easy cut. I'd prefer to see cuts or reductions to more restructuring, but I'd imagine that there will be at least one more restructured deal, probably Ben.

aggiebones
02-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Colon CAN'T be cut as a money saving move because it costs more cap space to do so.

Farrior AND Foote? That's foolish beyond words. Sly has not shown anything as far as a starter, while he COULD earn that job in camp. But he's not earned it yet. And we also have to have backups. Foote's not THAT expensive. At worst, he's a very capable backup or rotation guy. Foote is not going anywhere unless we keep Farrior. I think we draft someone though not in the 1st round probably.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Colon CAN'T be cut as a money saving move because it costs more cap space to do so.

Farrior AND Foote? That's foolish beyond words. Sly has not shown anything as far as a starter, while he COULD earn that job in camp. But he's not earned it yet. And we also have to have backups. Foote's not THAT expensive. At worst, he's a very capable backup or rotation guy. Foote is not going anywhere unless we keep Farrior. I think we draft someone though not in the 1st round probably.

Actually, Foote is due more money than Farrior this year ($3,000,000 for Foote, $2,825,000 for Farrior).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-10-2012, 11:39 AM

He is entering the second year of a five year contract in which he received IIRC $6M bonus and $4.8M is still to be accounted for. Steelers don't cut guys like that - no matter how bad the signing was.

I think we keep your list at 7.

NW Steeler
02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
No way that both Farrior AND Foote are cut. As some others have said, it will more than likely be one of the two.

grotonsteel
02-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I think Steelers FO will re-negiotiate Foote's contract..maybe extend him similar to Aaron Smith. Ask James Farrior to come back with Vet min. This eliminates need to draft an ILB in 1st Rd. Get a developmental ILB in mid round if Sly is not the answer.

Cut Aaron Smith, Kemo, Hines Ward and Will Allen.

Extend Casey Hampton or cut him and sign a FA like Sammy Hill or Aubrayo Franklin

NW Steeler
02-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I dont think the answer at ILB is on the roster. I imagine the future inside mate to Timmons will be drafted this year unless they sign someone in free agency. But with the cap hell they are in it is hard to imagine that happening.

grotonsteel
02-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I dont think the answer at ILB is on the roster. I imagine the future inside mate to Timmons will be drafted this year unless they sign someone in free agency. But with the cap hell they are in that is hard to imagine that happening.

Agreed but i don't think Steelers can afford to draft a Rd 1 pick on ILB. You can't have so much money tied to one unit. If they can draft a player in mid round who can learn behind Foote for a year or so then it should work well for Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Extend Casey Hampton or cut him and sign a FA like Sammy Hill or Aubrayo Franklin

I was on the Sammy Lee Hill train prior to his draft...I'd like to get a guy like that (and Detroit may not see him in their long terms plans since they have Suh and Fairley to start at DT already). However, he is currently an RFA, and would require draft compensation to sign him (the level of which remains to be seen). He could be someone we could target a year from now when he is unrestricted, though.

BigRob
02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Can you imagine a year in which we would have to pay Wood, Timmons, Troy, and Deebo 10-13 million each and Ben 20 million? That would be about 70 million, more than half the cap on 5 players. Salary cap hell is not pleasant.

Enough restructuring. Time to trim the fat around here!

Not a problem if the cap is sitting at 160 mil because of the new tv deals. Remember the cap is based off of revenue. That would still leave 90 mil in space.

They have a plan with these restructures, they are not dumb asses just reacting to things.

BigRob
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM

I was on the Sammy Lee Hill train prior to his draft...I'd like to get a guy like that (and Detroit may not see him in their long terms plans since they have Suh and Fairley to start at DT already). However, he is currently an RFA, and would require draft compensation to sign him (the level of which remains to be seen). He could be someone we could target a year from now when he is unrestricted, though.

Not going to happen. We still have to clear 17 million more in space for cap, RFA tenders, and draft. This is after already cutting and restructuring three players.

There will be no UFA signed to come in and start.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Not going to happen. We still have to clear 17 million more in space for cap, RFA tenders, and draft. This is after already cutting and restructuring three players.

There will be no UFA signed to come in and start.

Yeah, that's why I said to target him next year (when he is unrestricted). The salary cap should increase significantly by then, and the Lions, who will likely retain Hill with an RFA tender for this coming season, likely won't make him a long-term priority for 2013 and beyond.

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Heartfelt decisions await Steelers

Tuesday, February 14, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201202/colbert1_160.jpg

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has his hands full this offseason.

The NFL season may be over but the season for making news just won't let up for the Steelers.

General manager Kevin Colbert said he is not counting on halfback Rashard Mendenhall being able to play in 2012 because of his ACL surgery, and it appears they will not sign any of their own pending free agents before they hit the open market March 13.

Those revelations were among a handful Colbert delivered Monday afternoon at the team's facility on the South Side.

Among others:

Colbert confirmed that no decision has been made on whether Hines Ward will be back with the Steelers in 2012.

"To this current point, no final decisions have been made," Colbert said of Ward and all the veteran players. "We've had several discussions internally. We're right in the midst of our free agent evaluations of other teams' free agents. We'll meet on those [on the Steelers roster] starting Thursday and carry through Monday."

The Steelers "have work to do" to get under the mandatory NFL salary cap by March 13, which is the beginning of the new league calendar and the start of free agency.

"I think with the combination of terminations and restructurings that we'll be able to handle this," Colbert said, "along with doing new business with our own free agents and possibly some from outside" after March 13.

They want to keep receiver Mike Wallace "here for the long run." Wallace, their leading receiver last season, will become a restricted free agent March 13.

Some big names could be released before training camp starts, although Colbert would not speculate on who they may be.

"There are terminations in any season," Colbert said. "Term it as you like, we'll make the necessary adjustments to be in compliance with the cap and put the best team that we can on the field for 2012.

"They're all tough, really," he said regarding potential cuts. "When you've had success as we've been fortunate enough to have over the recent years, anybody who's part of your team and you have to release them, that's always tough."

Colbert said they saw this problem with the salary cap coming since the uncapped season of 2010.

"We've seen this coming for a while and we knew we would have to make some serious adjustments after this past season, because the previous season we didn't have a salary cap and really we took some liberties that year that we would not have been able to in a capped year. Some of that carried over into this year."

Colbert did not say that Mendenhall would not play in 2012, but "it possibly could" wipe out his season. Mendenhall had surgery on his knee in January after his injury Jan. 1 in Cleveland.

"Potentially, Rashard will not be ready for camp. I never feel good about an ACL until a year. I'm not a doctor, but that's my mindset. If he gets back before that, to me it's a bonus, so is he potentially a candidate for PUP? Absolutely."

Teams place a player on the Physically Unable to Perform list to open training camp if there is a reason they cannot play. Nose tackle Casey Hampton, who also had ACL surgery after the season, could also open camp on that list, but Colbert was more optimistic that Hampton will play in 2012.

"Sometimes defensive linemen, offensive linemen recover a little quicker because they don't have to regain their speed or stop and start ability."

Even with the availability of Mendenhall in question, Colbert said they are not necessarily in the market for another running back.

"No more than we are for any other position. I think our young backup contributors did a nice job in Rashard's absence. Isaac Redman did a good job not only after Rashard was injured but leading up to it. I think he's established himself as an NFL running back.

"We'll get Jonathan Dwyer back. John Clay showed up a little bit when he was asked to play after Rashard was injured, and we have Baron Batch, who we're excited to see come back healthy after his training camp [ACL] injury.

"Could we add a back? Sure. Are we saying we have to add a back? No."

Colbert said they likely cannot sign any of their own free agents before March 13 because of their position in the salary cap. It does not mean, however, they will not sign any of them after March 13.

That potentially means that Wallace will become a restricted free agent and another team could sign him. The Steelers, though, will almost surely offer him the high tender that would bring them a first-round draft pick if another team signed him and they did not match it and keep him.

With all the potential roster moves afoot along with lingering injuries, might the Steelers remain a Super Bowl contender next season?

"You never know," Colbert said. "I mean, I hope so. Every team is unique, Every team is different. What our team will be in training camp at Saint Vincent College, I don't know what it will be. Every year you don't know what your competition will be. All we try to do at this point is try to add as many good players as we can and then take our chances."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/12 ... z1mOROvdXp (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210003-66-0.stm#ixzz1mOROvdXp)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I think Steelers FO will re-negiotiate Foote's contract..maybe extend him similar to Aaron Smith. Ask James Farrior to come back with Vet min. This eliminates need to draft an ILB in 1st Rd. Get a developmental ILB in mid round if Sly is not the answer.

I can't see both Foote and Farrior returning, even at vet min. It stifles the growth of kids like Sly and Ivy. It also delays the process of drafting their next ILB.

BigRob
02-14-2012, 09:12 PM

I can't see both Foote and Farrior returning, even at vet min. It stifles the growth of kids like Sly and Ivy. It also delays the process of drafting their next ILB.

The biggest jump in performance in the NFL is between year one and 2.

Do you think Sly is really going to be the answer?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM

The biggest jump in performance in the NFL is between year one and 2.

Do you think Sly is really going to be the answer?

If he isn't the answer, all the more reason to either get a long look at Ivy and/or bring in someone who will be the answer. Having both Foote and Farrior on the roster next season delays us from preparing for the future. If we want an easy transition then keep one, but if we keep both then how will we prepare for our future inside?