PDA

View Full Version : Steelers restructure Timmons, free up $5.14 million

pittpete
02-09-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 659&spln=1 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4195&line=227659&spln=1)

Oviedo
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Keep it going. Cut some of the dead weight and over the hill players.

pittpete
02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Combine this with Woodleys restructure and the McFadden,Battle cuts and we are estimated at around $5 million over now. :tt1

papillon
02-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Won't the money on these restructures come due at some point? I guess there will always be candidates for restructuring as they sign young (new) players to 4 or 5 year deals, then those become contracts to restructure and free cap space.

Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me...or maybe a Khan scheme. :D

Pappy

flippy
02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Wonder why they don't just sign a guy to a $50M 10,000 year contract that pays a penny a year for years 5 and beyond.

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Wonder why they don't just sign a guy to a $50M 10,000 year contract that pays a penny a year for years 5 and beyond.

if Omar Khan ever leaves you can be the Steelers' new capologist! :D

sentinel33
02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
First Woodley and now Timmons. Make a few more cuts that will eventually be made(as stated above-Mcfadden, Battle, etc.) and we'll be right as rain.

I would imagine the salary cap going up in a year or two will help with these rstructures.

Khan. The man-again.

Just one of the many reasons why I love being a Steeler fan.

It's always in good hands.

TallyStiller
02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
From what I understand, the cap is expected to go up significantly in years 3 and beyond of the new CBA... all the Steelers have to do is restructure these guys a couple years in order to stay under the cap, and then the higher number will get them out of jail.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
First Woodley and now Timmons. Make a few more cuts that will eventually be made(as stated above-Mcfadden, Battle, etc.) and we'll be right as rain.

I would imagine the salary cap going up in a year or two will help with these rstructures.

Khan. The man-again.

Just one of the many reasons why I love being a Steeler fan.

It's always in good hands.

You're in good hands...with Pedro Cerrano.

http://spreegoogs.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/cerrano-allstate.jpg

flippy
02-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I never made the connection to Pedro Cerrano and the All State guy. That's pretty cool.

birtikidis
02-09-2012, 08:27 PM

if Omar Khan ever leaves you can be the Steelers' new capologist! :D
gotta pay the guy the vet min...

BigRob
02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
15.2 million dollars shaved off the cap between these two restructures and cuts.

I believe we still have between 5 and 10 million to go. A lot of heads are still going to get whacked.

pick6
02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
This is a very aggressive pace. Very creative. Umar may not be satisfied with simply getting right under the cap. Could we be making room for a free agent signing. Maybe on the oline to go with the awesome rookie olineman that we'll get in the draft. Then we pound the ball down the Ravens throats. Pancaking Ngata and Ray Ray all the way to the Ravens 40 yard line. Laughing and gorging on pheasant and gobblets of grape nectar all the while. Then we hit them with the playaction and its wallace wide open, TOUCHDOWN STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A man can dream.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2012, 10:11 PM
This is a very aggressive pace. Very creative. Umar may not be satisfied with simply getting right under the cap. Could we be making room for a free agent signing. Maybe on the oline to go with the awesome rookie olineman that we'll get in the draft. Then we pound the ball down the Ravens throats. Pancaking Ngata and Ray Ray all the way to the Ravens 40 yard line. Laughing and gorging on pheasant and gobblets of grape nectar all the while. Then we hit them with the playaction and its wallace wide open, TOUCHDOWN STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A man can dream.

The free agent signing they are likely trying to make room for is a long term deal for Mike Wallace.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-10-2012, 12:03 AM
15.2 million dollars shaved off the cap between these two restructures and cuts.

I believe we still have between 5 and 10 million to go. A lot of heads are still going to get whacked.

Nobody unexpected.......

Kemoeatu saves over $3.5M
Hampton and his ACL saves $4.89M
Scott saves $2.2M
Foote saves $3M
Farrior saves $2.825M
Smith saves $2.1M

On top of that, Ben can save a whole lot by restructuring, also Troy and Ike can save a few bucks.

We won't have to do all of this, but these are the savings available.

Dresden
02-10-2012, 12:19 AM

Dude if we could sign Carl Nicks to play alongside a healthy Pouncey, with Redman starting at RB and Baron Batch as the change of pace back,.....we would not have to go O-line in the first 3 rounds IMO.

I honestly believe that Haley will get the most out of our current O-line corps.

pick6
02-10-2012, 12:46 AM

The free agent signing they are likely trying to make room for is a long term deal for Mike Wallace.

So what the heck am I supposed to do with all this pheasant and goblets and not to mention the nectar. You can only gorge and feast with a power running game. Man do I hope we get an excellent olineman this year. But I get your point.

Also we should keep (pay cut, restructure) Casey, pending ACL situation. Foote wins out over Farrior. Smith, going to miss him too. Hines stays on board, with pay cut, no logical justification for this. Kemo if often criticized on this board, yet he makes many great plays if you watch him. its just that he is the poster boy for inconsistancy. One play he mauls an opponent, the next play he completely misses his assignment. At times it seems like he really has no idea what he was supposed to do, which is scary. And I can't forget about his addiction to amazingly stupid 15 yard penalties. The cons may outweigh the pros with Kemo. Especially if we get both a rookie and a free agant OG (that might be overkill, but I want to run the ball effectively I mean we got rid of a talented MLB named Fox who would be starting next year if not for his stupidity. I also think OL Scott stays.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Dude if we could sign Carl Nicks to play alongside a healthy Pouncey, with Redman starting at RB and Baron Batch as the change of pace back,.....we would not have to go O-line in the first 3 rounds IMO.

The sad thing is that Nicks didn't come off the board until 5.164 in 2008, but we picked Tony Freaking Hills at 4.130 that year (many on this board were pro-Nicks in the 2nd or 3rd round if I remember some of our mocks from that year).

grotonsteel
02-10-2012, 01:26 PM

The sad thing is that Nicks didn't come off the board until 5.164 in 2008, but we picked Tony Freaking Hills at 4.130 that year (many on this board were pro-Nicks in the 2nd or 3rd round if I remember some of our mocks from that year).

+1

I guess his age and some off field issue which prevented Steelers from drafting Nicks. But if Steelers could have got Nicks inplace of Tony Hills Steelers would be in better shape on o-line.

Also i feel the same thing about Cliff Avril. If we could have got him instead of Bruce Davis.

aggiebones
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Steelers have a dude scout that hits the Texas region and is buddy buddy with the Longhorns. He's convinced us to draft bum after bum from tu. Probably living off his one good sound decision to pick Hampton out of there. Gotta stop picking horns at least for my sanity.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Steelers have a dude scout that hits the Texas region and is buddy buddy with the Longhorns. He's convinced us to draft bum after bum from tu. Probably living off his one good sound decision to pick Hampton out of there. Gotta stop picking horns at least for my sanity.

I was an Earl Thomas supporter a few years ago...he seems to have turned out all right.