PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger talks about his new OC

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Roethlisberger talks about his new OC

THURSDAY, 09 FEBRUARY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Here's why Ed didn't make his chat this morning: an opportunity to talk to Ben Roethlisberger a few minutes before the chat was to begin. You get it first, before it gets posted on the free site.

Todd Haley has been hired, met with his new colleagues on Mike Tomlin's coaching staff, with members of the front office and finally with the media at noon today.

Another Steelers employee was looking forward this morning to his first meeting with the new offensive coordinator: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"I haven't talked to him,'' Roethlisberger said at the Steelers training facility where, 20 minutes later, Haley would be introduced at a press conference just down the hall as the team's new offensive coordinator.

"I've gotten a lot of calls and texts and emails from people around the league, both good and bad about him,'' Roethlisberger said during an interview with the Post-Gazette. "Everybody has an opinion, as we all know, and they're letting me know what their interaction with him was -- good, bad and indifferent. I've heard a lot of things and I'm looking forward to meeting him and forming my own opinion."

Roethlisberger admitted he was "shocked" when he learned Bruce Arians was not offered a contract renewal as offensive coordinator. He said coach Mike Tomlin has since kept him in the "loop" about his search for Arians' replacement, although he had no input into who that would be.

Now, the quarterback is anxious about what offense Haley might run -- whether he will chuck the Steelers offense that has evolved from Mike Mularkey to Ken Whisenhunt to Arians in favor of his own, whether he will maintain the Steelers offense or whether there will be some type of meshing of the two.

Haley was not definitive about his offensive plans during his press conference, just that he would "start with a clean slate.''

"It would probably be easy for him to do,'' Roethlisberger said about Haley possibly choosing to stick with his offense. "I don't know if it would be easy for us to learn it. We're so young on offense and the most talented room in this whole building is probably wide receiver, no disrespect to anyone else. And they're also really young.''

"They're still the tip of the iceberg in this offense and they did as well as they did last year. And they're just getting to the point that 'OK, this makes sense to me.'
"That was my biggest talking point to Mike and those guys -- I would hate to just throw everything out and start over because I feel it would set us back two or three years because these guys are just starting to get it.

"I hope we don't have to start over and if we do, you know what, here we go. Let's do it. We'll do it. We're not going to complain about it. But I would hate to have to set certain guys back who are doing so well right now."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... his-new-oc (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114787-roethlisberger-talks-about-his-new-oc)

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
sorry, but if installing a new system would set WR's back for 3 years then we might want to get some smarter WR's.

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Roethlisberger speaks on Haley hire, state of offense

Thursday, February 09, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger will be looking to see what changes will come in Todd Haley's offense.

Todd Haley has been hired, met with his new colleagues on Mike Tomlin's coaching staff, with members of the front office and finally with the media at noon today.

Another Steelers employee was looking forward this morning to his first meeting with the new offensive coordinator: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"I haven't talked to him," Roethlisberger said at the Steelers training facility where, 20 minutes later, Haley would be introduced at a press conference just down the hall as the team's new offensive coordinator.

"I've gotten a lot of calls and texts and emails from people around the league, both good and bad about him,'' Roethlisberger said during an interview with the Post-Gazette. "Everybody has an opinion, as we all know, and they're letting me know what their interaction with him was -- good, bad and indifferent. I've heard a lot of things and I'm looking forward to meeting him and forming my own opinion."

Roethlisberger admitted he was "shocked" when he learned Bruce Arians was not offered a contract renewal as offensive coordinator. He said coach Mike Tomlin has since kept him in the "loop" about his search for Arians' replacement, although he had no input into who that would be.

Now, the quarterback is anxious about what offense Haley might run -- whether he will chuck the Steelers offense that has evolved from Mike Mularkey to Ken Whisenhunt to Arians in favor of his own, whether he will maintain the Steelers offense or whether there will be some type of meshing of the two.

Haley was not definitive about his offensive plans during his press conference, just that he would "start with a clean slate.''

"It would probably be easy for him to do," Roethlisberger said about Haley possibly choosing to stick with his offense. "I don't know if it would be easy for us to learn it. We're so young on offense and the most talented room in this whole building is probably wide receiver, no disrespect to anyone else. And they're also really young."

"They're still the tip of the iceberg in this offense and they did as well as they did last year. And they're just getting to the point that 'OK, this makes sense to me.'

"That was my biggest talking point to Mike and those guys -- I would hate to just throw everything out and start over because I feel it would set us back two or three years because these guys are just starting to get it.

"I hope we don't have to start over and if we do, you know what, here we go. Let's do it. We'll do it. We're not going to complain about it. But I would hate to have to set certain guys back who are doing so well right now."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/12 ... z1lurvPDvZ (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/1209184-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1lurvPDvZ)

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 05:14 PM
sorry, but if installing a new system would set WR's back for 3 years then we might want to get some smarter WR's.

It's not about being smart, it's about muscle memory.... reacting, instinct etc...

It's like getting a new car.. you know how to drive it but you don't know where all the knobs and buttons are because your muscles are used to operating the old vehicle.

steelblood
02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
I find it weird that Ben keeps trying to pre-empt change by airing his opinions with the media. First, his "warnings" about Arians after the season and now this changing the offense would set us back 2-3 years. I generally don't agree with the drama queen comments, but 2-3 years? That is a little dramatic. He has no idea. Stop trying to dictate and do your job.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I find it weird that Ben keeps trying to pre-empt change by airing his opinions with the media. First, his "warnings" about Arians after the season and now this changing the offense would set us back 2-3 years. I generally don't agree with the drama queen comments, but 2-3 years? That is a little dramatic. He has no idea. Stop trying to dictate and do your job.

:Agree

steelblood
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Or, better yet, walk down the hall, shake the guy's hand and get to work.

Ghost
02-09-2012, 05:24 PM

It's not about being smart, it's about muscle memory.... reacting, instinct etc...

It's like getting a new car.. you know how to drive it but you don't know where all the knobs and buttons are because your muscles are used to operating the old vehicle.

I think the car analogy is perfect!! Hell, I can't find anything if I have to take my wife's car. But I would agree with Mr Pittsburgh that 2-3 years of set back would have me questioning the intelligence. A bit much by Ben.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2012, 06:19 PM

I think the car analogy is perfect!! Hell, I can't find anything if I have to take my wife's car. But I would agree with Mr Pittsburgh that 2-3 years of set back would have me questioning the intelligence. A bit much by Ben.

Antnio Brown was in 'this' system all of 2 months before excelling. I think Ben is scared of work. He likes Thanksgiving turkeybowl with the guys brand of football.

NW Steeler
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Boom. :Clap

sentinel33
02-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Ben is allowed to have his opinions just like anyone else.

I have no doubt that he will work his tail off to make it all happen. His work ethic has rarely come under fire. He wants to win just as bad as anyone. Probably more with how the dude plays with injuries and pain.

It's difficult to give up comfortability and familiarity. He's just venting his frustrations in his own way. I have no doubt Ben will be on board with everything. And he'll be excited about it.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I wish Ben would speak with the player or coach before giving an interview about the person.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 08:26 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":1atpne5z]sorry, but if installing a new system would set WR's back for 3 years then we might want to get some smarter WR's.

Antnio Brown was in 'this' system all of 2 months before excelling. I think Ben is scared of work. He likes Thanksgiving turkeybowl with the guys brand of football.[/quote:1atpne5z]

2 months? Brown wasnt even in uniform half of his rookie season because he couldn't learn the offense as quickly as Sanders.

Most talented WR's can come in and make plays.... but the little things, hot routes, audibles, hurry up offense, crisp routes and knowing what route to run when there are 3 options based on the defender, etc.... those things take time.

Shoe
02-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Antnio Brown was in 'this' system all of 2 months before excelling. I think Ben is scared of work. He likes Thanksgiving turkeybowl with the guys brand of football.

Haha, you're right. Ben's biggest strength is his ability to extend plays, and play turkey bowl football. The problem with that style (for him), is that it'll eventually get to a point where he can't do that anymore physically.

Ben doesn't sit there and throw into tight spots as much as he should. Throws that Brady*, Rodgers, Brees might make. You know why? Because he thinks, "why should I try and squeeze a ball in, when I can shake off the rush and go downfield."

For now, that's fine. And that's a great thing to have in your pocket at the end of games. But if he wants to lengthen this career of his, he needs to practice that skill. He does it... but he probably doesn't do it near the same amount that those other guys do.

Like you say, that's going to take some growing pains. It's something (I'm guessing) Ben doesn't want to do.

BURGH86STEEL
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM

The verbiage will most likely be different. It's been stated that NFL offensive verbiage is almost like learning a new language. Based on what I've learned over the years, plays aren't always run as called in huddles. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 plays called. The QB's decide what play to run based on the defense. WR's run routes based on sight adjustments. It seems that the days of experienced QB's going out there and running exactly what coaches call are pretty much over.

I believe the bottom line on the offense will come down to how hard Ben will be willing to work to become a more consistent QB.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":19wbs0gl]sorry, but if installing a new system would set WR's back for 3 years then we might want to get some smarter WR's.

2 months? Brown wasnt even in uniform half of his rookie season because he couldn't learn the offense as quickly as Sanders.

Most talented WR's can come in and make plays.... but the little things, hot routes, audibles, hurry up offense, crisp routes and knowing what route to run when there are 3 options based on the defender, etc.... those things take time.[/quote:19wbs0gl]

All I am saying is they have an entire offseason, mini camps, training camp, preseason, and all the days in between to study their balls off & get it down. Ben is drastically, drastically politicking through the media for things to stay the same. Only problem with staying the same is our entire offense revolved around broken plays & a sorry run game we couldn't rely on. Ben loved Arians because he didn't try and change him & didn't push him. You know what that will get us? A new QB in 4 years cause ours is injured half the time costing the other 21 starters because he is our franchise QB & backups are rarely good enough to make real Superbowl runs.

Only on the Steelers does it take 2 or 3 years just to learn the offensive or defensive system. It's amazing we could ever get a free agent as they would be worthless for 3 years! (sarcasm)

pick6
02-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Haha, you're right. Ben's biggest strength is his ability to extend plays, and play turkey bowl football. The problem with that style (for him), is that it'll eventually get to a point where he can't do that anymore physically.

Ben doesn't sit there and throw into tight spots as much as he should. Throws that Brady*, Rodgers, Brees might make. You know why? Because he thinks, "why should I try and squeeze a ball in, when I can shake off the rush and go downfield."

For now, that's fine. And that's a great thing to have in your pocket at the end of games. But if he wants to lengthen this career of his, he needs to practice that skill. He does it... but he probably doesn't do it near the same amount that those other guys do.

Like you say, that's going to take some growing pains. It's something (I'm guessing) Ben doesn't want to do.

Wow awesome post.

williar
02-09-2012, 09:00 PM

The verbiage will most likely be different. It's been stated that NFL offensive verbiage is almost like learning a new language. Based on what I've learned over the years, plays aren't always run as called in huddles. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 plays called. The QB's decide what play to run based on the defense. WR's run routes based on sight adjustments. It seems that the days of experienced QB's going out there and running exactly what coaches call are pretty much over.

I believe the bottom line on the offense will come down to how hard Ben will be willing to work to become a more consistent QB.

And that's the scary part...I always questioned Ben's work ethic and comittment to becoming a student of the game. I mean, after all if he would have been doing some of things that have been suggested his beloved coordinator would still be here... Don't be surprised if this dude implodes under weight of actually having to follow instructions.

NorthCoast
02-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Nobody likes change if it causes more work, but it IS a fact of life. Ben doesn't have to like Haley, but he better damn well respect the guy for the position he was hired. Ben could become known as a coach-killer if he is not careful. There are whispers that Ben is not a workaholic when it comes to game prep. How much better could he be if he learned that one skill?

Another bothersome point is how Ben thinks the offense did well last season. Does he even know how far they slid?

Kinda reminds me of Steve Jobs' biography and how he was known to "distort reality" to fit his needs.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 09:40 PM
It's rare to see a new offense explode it's first year and make a SB run. Does anyone really think if we got a new DC and changed the scheme it would be smooth sailing the first year? I don't think Ben is saying our WR's would turn into a bunch of Sweed's... and there probably is some fear in having to start over.

Whatever the plan is Ben needs to get on board.

skyhawk
02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Set the offense back 2-3 years?

Good.

That's when they last won the Super Bowl. :tt2

Steelers>NFL
02-09-2012, 10:38 PM
It's rare to see a new offense explode it's first year and make a SB run. Does anyone really think if we got a new DC and changed the scheme it would be smooth sailing the first year? I don't think Ben is saying our WR's would turn into a bunch of Sweed's... and there probably is some fear in having to start over.

Whiz's offense exploded the first year in Arizona...

Slapstick
02-09-2012, 11:32 PM

"I hope we don't have to start over and if we do, you know what, here we go. Let's do it. We'll do it. We're not going to complain about it."

Sounds like he's on board....

feltdizz
02-10-2012, 12:11 AM

Whiz's offense exploded the first year in Arizona...

Well, I did say it was rare...

I don't remember if Whiz brought in a whole new staff when he arrived but I think it's much easier to get a team to buy into a new philosophy when a franchise hasn't had any success.

Dresden
02-10-2012, 12:33 AM

:Agree THE bottom line sir :Steel

chiken
02-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Its Easy to see why Ben thought the Offense was a success in a way because of the numbers. 4000, 1000, 1000 - I think thats what he is seeing.

Yes Our Redzone offense sucked but we all know that We COULD not run for a YARD or 2 and for some reason we did not involve our TIGHTENDs in the passing game when we got close... We Don't have anyone who can consistently beat his man off the line the closer we got (Defense packed in)

Redman was our best Running back because he could power thru tacklers who hit our Running back the minute they touch the hole because it seems like our line very rarely got any push..

AND AirHead did not seem to want to Gameplan Verses any particular opponent so We always looked like we were just out there playing TechmoBowl..

I hope TH brings in a New Philosophy but keeps many of the Same plays. I hope he brings back a toughness to our offense that we lost. I hope his comments about Heath Miller mean that he is going to Use Heath Miller.

It sounds like some people are throwing Ben under the bus For Sandlot football at times. And and at the same time Saying AHead doesn't make adjustments, the Starting running-back Dances too much, The receivers are not physical and the O-line for a good part of the Season was Below Average at best.

Last year with the injuries to Sanders early and late, Crotch as well (Early) Hines NOT being able to get open any more- The oline stinking to the point you couldnt Send Heath out because he needed to block.. Its no wonder we sucked butt the way we did..

feltdizz
02-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Great post Chiken...

My biggest frustration with Arians is Redman was obviously our best RB behind that OL and we didn't use him effectively in the Red Zone.

feltdizz
02-10-2012, 12:25 PM

Ron Cook is a douche...
People keep calling in saying Ben should seek out Haley but Cook disagrees...

Cook keeps bashing callers and says Haley should find Ben to get the dialogue going.

The main concern is Ben was at the facility while Haley was there and for them to "miss each other" must be intentional.

Here we go drama, here we go :Clap :Clap

grotonsteel
02-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Ron Cook is a douche...

Cook keeps bashing callers and says Haley should find Ben to get the dialogue going.

The main concern is Ben was at the facility while Haley was there and for them to "miss each other" must be intentional.

From the article:
"Another Steelers employee was looking forward this morning to his first meeting with the new offensive coordinator: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger."

Where does it say Ben did not meet Todd haley?? This interview was taken before Ben met with TH. If i am not mistaken this interview was taken befor TH was introduced.

I think you are seeking TMZ drama.

feltdizz
02-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Ron Cook is a douche...

From the article:
"Another Steelers employee was looking forward this morning to his first meeting with the new offensive coordinator: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger."

Where does it say Ben did not meet Todd haley?? This interview was taken before Ben met with TH. If i am not mistaken this interview was taken befor TH was introduced.

I think you are seeking TMZ drama.

Sorry about the confusion...

My post has nothing to do with the article...

I was listening to "The Fan" on internet radio 15 minutes ago and Ron Cook is having this discussion as we speak. Fans are calling in giving opinions and Cook is bashing anyone who isn't siding with Ben on who should make the first move for their meeting.

During a nes update they actually said... "everyone is wondering how 2 guys are at the same facility at the same time and they don't cross paths"

Apparently they still haven't met...

hawaiiansteel
02-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Haley: Steelers scheme will be built to succeed, score

Friday, February 10, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201202/ar_steelerstoddhaley02_500.jpg

Todd Haley: "If you are sensitive, this is ... not the best place to be."

Todd Haley wasted little time assuring everyone that the Steelers offense he will run will do whatever is necessary to win.

If that means throwing the ball like he did when he was the offensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, fine. If that means running the ball like he did in 2 1/2 seasons as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, that's fine, too.

But, after saying there is "a lot of carry over" and similar terminology from the offense Bruce Arians ran, Haley made it clear at his introductory news conference Thursday that he is not merely taking the wheel and letting the Steelers offense operate the way it has been accustomed.

"We're going to start with a clean slate and what gives us the best possible chance to succeed and score a lot of points," Haley said.

And Haley, 44, does not seem the least bit worried about working with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had a close relationship with Arians and was upset when Arians' contract was not renewed. Nor is Haley concerned the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback might be resistant to some of the changes in the offense.

Haley, who grew up in Upper St. Clair, has been at the Steelers facility since Monday, when his hiring was announced. But he still has not met with Roethlisberger, even though Roethlisberger was in the building nearly right up to the time of Haley's noon news conference.

"Transition will always be, I don't want to say difficult, because I don't know how we could determine that right now; it's just starting," Haley said. "There is an uncomfortable aspect to newness, but that's not always a bad thing. I think it will be a great thing in this case. I am sure [Roethlisberger] will figure out we are trying to make him as good as he can possibly be. Not many players that I know of have ever had an issue with that."

Haley and former Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell were the only known candidates to visit the Steelers and interview for the position.

The Steelers discussed internally the possibility of quarterback coach Randy Fichtner and offensive line coach Sean Kugler splitting the offensive coordinator's duties -- with Fichtner in charge of the passing game and Kugler responsible for the running game. That arrangement would last until running back coach Kirby Wilson -- considered the heir apparent to Arians -- could return from the severe burns he suffered in a fire at his home.

But there is no certainty about if or when Wilson will return.

"He clearly brings intangibles we really value," coach Mike Tomlin said of Haley. "I talked to a lot of people and did a lot of research, and I was impressed by his resume but also his love for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That was really unique to me."

Tomlin said the transition to Haley's offense is "going to be a challenge." But, he added, "We find pleasure in that being a mystery."

Haley was brought in to help an offense that had a 4,000-yard quarterback and two 1,000-yard receivers score more points (they ranked 21st in the NFL in 2011).

But the Steelers also are hoping he will help Roethlisberger "tweak" his game -- the words of team president Art Rooney II -- and, hopefully, eliminate some of the pounding he absorbs as he enters his ninth NFL season.

Curiously, the Chiefs were the lowest-scoring team in the AFC and second-lowest in the NFL in 2011, managing just 218 points. The Chiefs, however, had many key injuries, including losing top running back Jamal Charles and quarterback Matt Cassel.

"There's a lot of talk about systems, offense and defense, and I believe you do what gives you the best chance to succeed," Haley said. "If the best chance to succeed is running 63 times a game, you run 63 times a game.

"I am going to do what gives our players the chance to be the best they can possibly be because, generally, when that is occurring, you are doing well enough. I am not a statistics guy as far as end-of-the-year stats, but I want to protect the football and score points."

Haley has a reputation as a coach who is not afraid to get in a player's face and scream at him -- a tag that followed him from Arizona to Kansas City. But he is not worried it will have an adverse effect on his players, even Roethlisberger.

Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, who won two league MVPs and a Super Bowl MVP before he went to Arizona, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Monday he was perfectly OK with Haley screaming at him on the sideline. He said all his former offensive coordinator was doing was trying to make him a better player.

"One of the first things I will say to these guys is we aren't going to be into a lot of sensitivity," Haley said. "If you are sensitive, this is probably not the best place to be. But I have to adhere to it, too. I dish it out, but I have to take it.

"This is a passionate, emotional game, and you watch the playoffs, and everybody is a little different. It is about the end result, and these guys really appreciate that. If they know you have their goals in mind, and they all want to be great players, as good as they can possibly be, once they figure out that that is what you care about, it is a non-issue, generally."

Haley has bloodlines with the Steelers because his dad, Dick, was the team's personnel director from 1971-90. He also had a chance to become the team's receivers coach for Bill Cowher in 2004, but he declined the offer to become an assistant coach under Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys.

"All my early memories in life somehow revolved around the Steelers," Haley said. "My earliest memory was watching the Immaculate Reception. Those things have stayed with me, and they are a big part of who and what I am.

"In my mind, this is the greatest organization and the greatest team in the NFL.

"And that comes from the heart."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12041/12 ... z1m7iFayC4 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12041/1209247-66-0.stm#ixzz1m7iFayC4)

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2012, 11:13 PM
He also had a chance to become the team's receivers coach for Bill Cowher in 2004, but he declined the offer to become an assistant coach under Bill Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys.

How weird is it that Cowher offered Haley the WR coach job in 2004, and he declined, so Cowher brought in Bruce Arians to be his WR coach instead...and now 8 years later, Haley is replacing Arians as Steeler O.C. under Mike Tomlin.

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Why the Haley-Roethlisberger Drama is the Non-Story of the Year

Approaching 30, it's time for Ben Roethlisberger to evolve as a quarterback, if not a person.

BY SEAN CONBOY

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/February-2012/Why-the-Haley-Roethlisberger-Drama-is-the-Non-Story-of-the-Year/Roethlisberger%20Hat(1).jpg

If we ever needed indisputable evidence that the shadow economy of sports entertainment has seeped too far into our collective craniums, the proof came last week during Hi-Gate.

For the uninitiated, highly intelligent people who chose to read a book or play with their children instead of lapping up this delirious Dove for Men soap opera (cue George Thorogood gee-tar twang): Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his new offensive coordinator, Todd Haley, did not introduce themselves to one another at Haley’s grand unveiling last week at Steelers HQ. Thus, a presumptive Cold War was born. Columnists hacked away. TV yokels cackled. Twitter was atwitter with talk of a power struggle.

It’s all gone too far, really. Somewhere along the line, after ESPN hinged our eyeballs to the circuits of its Kubrickian post-apocalyptic sportscape and before Doritos released its avant-garde 3-D commercial “Wiffle Bat to the Nuts, Buy Our Chips,” we officially crossed the plane into another dimension. Our overreaction to two grown millionaire men not saying hello to one another in the hallway is the watershed moment of our Brave New World. It’s Khrushchev slamming his shoe on the podium. As we rap our slippers against the TV dinner tray in disgust, we are now officially, unequivocally taking sports too seriously.

After years of tireless work, the Media Industrial Complex has finally turned the sport of Hank Stram and Jack Lambert and Bart Starr into The Real Housebros of the NFL. Every time I turn on NFL Network, I half expect to see Haley in the confessional room sporting blonde extensions and weeping about how devastated he was that Roethlisberger didn’t show up to his charity gala for canine dyslexia.

We do this with everything now. Like in matters of politics, economy and other grave national concerns, we obsess over the mind-numbing minutia of sound bytes and manufactured drama, because, really, who wants to sort out the tough questions? What’s a trillion dollar deficit compared to the public glee of Mitt Romney’s “Happy Days” gaffe? The coal-fired social media machine needs its sooty fuel.

Make no mistake, the Steelers have very real strategic concerns going into the 2012 season and beyond which have little to do with the interpersonal relationship of HaleyBerger. Those who worry that the frosty reception will be a long-term distraction need only to look a year into the past. The circus resulting from sexual assault charges and an ensuing suspension didn’t keep Roethlisberger from reaching the Super Bowl.

The truth — the one that we try to spit-shine into submission on Sunday morning pregame shows with soft-lit interviews and puff profiles — the truth everlasting is that, within the confines of sport, you can be both an unbridled ******* and an undeniable winner. I believe this is also called “Wall Street.”

We like to make a big deal out of personal drama because it makes the incomprehensible math of the NFL a little bit more palatable. But the Steelers won a Super Bowl in 2005 when their defensive leader, Joey Porter, wouldn’t have followed Roethlisberger on Twitter, let alone to war. Back then, Roethlisberger barely spoke to anyone outside his small circle, and it didn’t matter, because he was uncommonly good at extending plays and throwing from outside the pocket.

In order to grow as a quarterback, Roethlisberger needs a boss, not a buddy.

Despite the manufactured drama, Haley was brought in to help Roethlisberger extend his career. The two-time Super Bowl winner will only be 30 by the start of training camp, but he has absorbed the punishment of a typical 35-year-old quarterback over the course of eight seasons spent running for his life behind patchwork offensive lines. Consider this: Rothlisberger's peers in the 2004 NFL Draft, Eli Manning and Phil Rivers have been sacked a total of 194 and 171 times respectively over their careers. Roethlisberger has endured 314 sacks.

Haley wants to keep Roethlisberger in the pocket, where he will ward off pressure with short, efficient strikes instead of his usual madcap escapes to the sidelines.

As Roethlisberger enters his career’s final act, it’s a savvy tactical decision. While he made little effort to hide his frustration over Haley’s plans for giving the offense a “clean slate,” Roethlisberger is only getting older. He needs to ask himself how he wants his 30s to play out. If the Steelers have had one fatal, recurring flaw that’s undermined their supremely talented teams in the post-Cowher era, it’s predictability on offense.

What matters is not the forest — the overall percentage of runs and passes in a season (also known as the gradual disappearance of Smash Mouth Football). What truly matters are the trees — the crucial plays late in games when the Steelers offense has relied too heavily on old tricks (the bubble screens that opponents could see coming from the break of the huddle, the drive-killing second-and-long-shotgun draws that go nowhere). Too often, the Steelers offense lacked the rhythm and inertia of the high-percentage offenses that they were forced to watch in the Super Bowl.

Last season, the Steelers were an old team based on old ideas. That only works for so long. In today’s NFL, success is all about evolution (just don’t tell Tebow). Roethlisberger doesn’t have to like Haley, but if he wants to be healthy at 35, he needs to adopt his offense.

We think these guys will be around forever. The narrative makes them seem invincible (and for good reason; these Norse Gods do sell us low-financed flat screens and car insurance, after all). But Roethlisberger needs only to look across the league at Peyton Manning, or across his own city at Sidney Crosby, to see that no one is invincible. Hi-Gate is more proof that these yoked up super-jocks are far too old for personal growth, but luckily it’s not too late for Roethlisberger to grow professionally.

With Eli’s Super Bowl win, he now has some extra motivation — a legacy to protect. Brady’s career is fading and he knows it, Manning’s is ending and he doesn’t know it, and the new era needs a champion.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best- ... -the-Year/ (http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/February-2012/Why-the-Haley-Roethlisberger-Drama-is-the-Non-Story-of-the-Year/)

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2012, 02:25 PM
In today’s NFL, success is all about evolution (just don’t tell Tebow).

:lol:

http://ratetees.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/denver-jesus-fish-tebow-t-shirt.jpg

Eich
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't know much about "SEAN CONBOY" but that was a fine article.

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Roethlisberger says he still hasn’t heard from Haley

Posted by Mike Florio on February 20, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/105133535_crop_650x440-e1329778240646.jpg?w=250

Roughly two weeks ago, the Steelers hired Todd Haley to serve as the successor to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who had a close friendship with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Haley and Roethlisberger have still not communicated.

On Monday, Roethlisberger told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (via NFL.com) that Haley “still hasn’t called me yet.”

Roethlisberger has been lukewarm at best regarding the hiring of Haley. Bouchette suggested that Haley may be doing avoiding the quarterback deliberately; I wondered whether Haley is taking yet another page from his mentor, Bill Parcells, who infamously snubbed Jason Taylor upon arriving in Miami as the V.P. of football operations.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rom-haley/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/roethlisberger-says-he-still-hasnt-heard-from-haley/)

feltdizz
02-20-2012, 10:55 PM
He still hasn't called me yet? Its gonna be a long summer.

Snatch98
02-21-2012, 04:23 AM
He still hasn't called me yet? Its gonna be a long summer.

Call me crazy but i think it's hysterical he still hasn't called him. If it were a HUGE issue Tomlin or the Rooney's would have told Haley to speak with him. Why hasn't Ben contacted HIS COACH should be the more important question shouldn't it?

Slapstick
02-21-2012, 09:57 AM
It does not bother me a bit that these two have not spoken...

They will have plenty of time to speak during minicamps, OTAs and training camp before the season starts...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Other than Antonio Brown, who sought him out, what player HAS Haley talked to?

Except for in the media, this is a big non-issue...

...unless Ben wants to act like a middle-school girl and make it one.

Sugar
02-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Other than Antonio Brown, who sought him out, what player HAS Haley talked to?

Except for in the media, this is a big non-issue...

...unless Ben wants to act like a middle-school girl and make it one.

And there is no indication of that. When Haley wants to talk to Ben, he'll call him.

DukieBoy
02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Ben's a big boy and he has his own phone I suppose. If he wants to talk to Haley, Ben can give Haley a call. Beats talking to the Trib about it like that.

NJ-STEELER
02-21-2012, 07:02 PM
im sure haley has more important things going on now.

like developing a plan for the offense, going over his roster, and things that new offensive coordinators usually do once they get hired

pittpete
02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
They have met https://twitter.com/#!/EdBouchette

RuthlessBurgher
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
They have met https://twitter.com/#!/EdBouchette

Oh joy of joys...now we can all go on with our lives. What a ridiculous non-story.

eniparadoxgma
02-21-2012, 08:38 PM

Agreed. That's the best article I've read in quite a long time.

Anyhow, is this true (as in with evidence and everything) or is it just an assumption of the author:

Haley wants to keep Roethlisberger in the pocket, where he will ward off pressure with short, efficient strikes instead of his usual madcap escapes to the sidelines.

?

hawaiiansteel
03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Roethlisberger calls first talk with Haley “a good start”

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/roethisberger.jpg?w=141

Last week, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley finally spoke for the first time. On Thursday, Roethlisberger spoke about it.

It started when Haley called Roethlisberger, Roethlisberger didn’t notice the number, and so Roethlisberger didn’t answer the phone. After he listened to the message, he called Haley back.

“It was a really good talk,” Roethlisberger said, describing the discussion as being 10 to 15 minutes in length. “Unfortunately, we can’t talk football right now and that’s one of the big things I wanted to talk about.”

Whoa. What?

We think some of these teams need to spend a little more time studying the CBA. Especially since Roethlisberger apparently talked football with owner Art Rooney II after offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was fired. And because Roethlisberger said last month that he has been working out with the team’s strength coach, an activity that seems to be clearly prohibited by Article 21, Section 2(a) of the CBA.

There’s nothing in the CBA that prevents a player from choosing to “talk football” with a member of the coaching staff before the official launch of the offseason program. And there’s no mechanism for preventing it from happening. And there’s no way to know whether Roethlisberger and Haley really did “talk football” unless one of them admits it.

Our guess? Someone told Roethlisberger after he blurted out that he had been working out with the strength coach that Roethlisberger had said too much, and so the best guidance for a guy who may not be the sharpest beam in the steel pile was to take the position that no football activities or discussions of any kind have happened.

So in those 10 to 15 minutes, what did they discuss? “[I]t was just me talking to him, about golf, his family, my family, him having been a ballboy here, just things like that,” Roethlisberger said. “It was a good start and I felt it was a good step in the right direction.”

Roethlisberger currently thinks it will be a “good working relationship.” As to whether it will be a “good friendship,” Roethlisberger said, “Who knows?”

It doesn’t have to be a friendship. It just has to work. It may even work better if it’s not a good friendship. Indeed, Roethlisberger had a “good friendship” with Arians, and he got fired.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ood-start/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/roethlisberger-calls-first-talk-with-haley-a-good-start/)

NorthCoast
03-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Sean said what many think. The question is whether Roethlisberger will embrace change or fight it to the death? If he fights it, no one wins. Not Haley, not Roethlisberger, not the Pittsburgh Steelers.

That, my friends, is the worry.

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Ben hoping he is just entering his prime

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has led the Steelers to two Super Bowl wins during his eight year career and after recently turning 30-years old he hopes there are more to come.

“I am hoping that I am just starting to get into the prime of my career,” said Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger is excited about the wealth of talent returning on offense for the Steelers and what the future holds.

“I think we have the potential on offense to be so good,” said Roethlisberger. “We are young and very talented.”

Roethlisberger recently talked about a multitude of topics, including how long he thinks he will play, his meeting with Steelers President Art Rooney II and his conversation with new offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

How long do you see yourself playing this game?
Hopefully I will play until the good Lord says I shouldn’t any more. That is the key, you play until you feel you can’t. You hope that nobody has to tell you when to stop playing, that it’s on you. That is the goal, you go until you and your family decides it’s not right to play anymore.

Wanting a long career, does it make sense that there has been talk about you tweaking your game from the standpoint of protecting yourself?
Absolutely. That is part of the discussion I had with Mr. (Art) Rooney. In order to play hopefully another eight years or whatever it is, you have to take care of your body. That is one of the reasons I am working out and doing the things I feel are necessary to be in the best shape of my life so I can improve my on-field play and longevity.

When you first heard Art Rooney say he wanted you to tweak your game, what went through your mind?
Absolutely nothing did. I knew I was going to come in here and talk to Mr. Rooney anyway and I would hear it right from the horse’s mouth. We had a good chuckle about it. He said ‘Ben we need to make sure you stay healthy. We need you on the field.’ If anything, that was a compliment.

How valuable was that meeting?
It was good to discuss being a leader, one of the oldest guys on offense, a veteran on this team, a captain. I feel it was necessary because guys always have questions, whether it’s individual questions, team, offense, defense, or whatever. For me to go right up and talk to the boss, get some answers for people, for myself, to find out exactly what he wants from us. Anytime you can talk to your boss and find out what he wants, it eliminates the guess work.

Perception versus reality is often very different. The outside perception was you were going to be told in the meeting you had to run the ball and other things. That wasn’t the case, though, was it?
No. That was the funny part. People thought I was going in there with a pitchfork and a torch. When I went in there with Mr. Rooney the very first thing we laughed about was he knew what I meant when he read those comments and I knew what he meant when he said tweak. We laughed at the general perception of what people thought was going to happen because there wasn’t anything like that from either one of us.

What is the most important thing you took away from it?
Just the understanding of where he sees this offense and team going in the future, moving forward. When you talk about reading into things, you hear what fans say, run the ball, throw the ball. I am going to ask the boss what he wants, what does he see? I think that was the best thing coming out of it.

When you say tweak your game, what do you see yourself needing to do as far as tweaking it?
Just stay healthy. That is it. Just stay healthy and you can stay on the field. I think I can help us win games if I am on the field and I am healthy. I hurt us when I am not healthy, the San Francisco game. That is the most important thing to me, making sure I am staying healthy.

Is that one of the most frustrating things, when you are out there trying to help the team and you are not able to do it?
Absolutely. All I care about is these guys and going out and fighting for them. You care about the fans and winning games for them, but when it comes down to it those guys between the lines are the ones you want to go out and battle for and lay it on the line for. When you feel like you are not helping them, it’s pretty tough for someone like me.

Where are you as far as your game? Is the best still yet to come?
I hope so. I am hoping that I am just starting to get into the prime of my career. I think that is why there was such a big deal about me saying I don’t want change. It wasn’t so much about the coordinator, although you hate to see Bruce Arians go, you hate to see anybody leave. I wasn’t upset or mad about Todd Haley coming in. I don’t know the guy. I was excited to meet him. When I said change it was more about changing the offense. I hope we don’t change that much. I feel like I am coming into the prime of my career and you hate to have a setback.

Feeling that way, is it important to you that the offense just goes through some minor adjustments not an overhaul?
I think we have the potential on offense to be so good. We are young and very talented. The less guys have to rethink things the better. There is nothing wrong with tweaking things and changing little things here and there to make us better, but if we just came in and threw the whole thing out and started over, that would be tough.

You had the chance to meet Todd Haley. While you aren’t able to talk X’s and O’s yet, did that meeting give you a comfort level with where the offense will be headed?
We talked on the phone. We had a great conversation. There was nothing about football. We talked about his kids, golf and other things in life. It was a good start and we’ll see where it goes from there.

What about on the personal level. You had a close relationship with Bruce Arians. Is it important to develop that type of relationship with Todd because you will be working so closely?
You have to. People made a big deal about me being too close with Bruce, but that’s a guy you work with every single day. You need to have some sort of working relationship where you can talk on a daily basis. Sometimes you butt heads. I think that is good in any kind of relationship. Hopefully Todd and I can have a similar relationship because I think it benefits everyone.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 347699faad (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ben-hoping-he-is-just-entering-his-prime/8724f6eb-1212-4f5f-80d3-40347699faad)