PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Can't wait for Tomlin's take on Haley

PSU_dropout43
02-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Can't wait for Tomlin's take on Haley

It's probably just as well that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin won't be available for comment at high noon today when the team rolls out new offensive coordinator Todd Haley for his introductory news conference at its South Side compound. Tomlin will be there -- ostensibly to show his support for the Haley hiring -- but will not take questions. This is supposed to be Haley's day. The last thing Tomlin wants to do is upstage him. At a later date, he will face the inquiring minds and try to answer -- or dodge -- questions that are much more significant to the franchise's long-term future than the ones Haley will get about how he thinks his combustible personality will play with a successful team and how he plans to co-exist with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

You don't want to miss the Tomlin news conference.

Can't you just hear the questions?

Do you think former coordinator Bruce Arians did a good job with the offense last season?

Did you want to keep Arians?

How do you feel about your boss telling you that Arians had to go?

Why did you hire Haley?

Did you hire Haley?

That's a lot of dodging.

Tomlin is good at it, among the best in sports, especially with questions he doesn't like. But this batch will be a challenge, especially the ones involving Arians. No one at Steelers headquarters has disputed the report by the Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac that Tomlin told Arians right after the season that he wanted him back and told staff members that Arians would be back. No one, including team president Art Rooney II, has disputed Dulac's report that Rooney II trumped Tomlin and forced out Arians.

The way Arians' exit was handled made Tomlin look weak. How does Tomlin put a positive spin on that?

Certainly by now, Tomlin has a better grip on the company line. He'll put on a smile -- real or otherwise -- when Haley steps to the lectern today. By the time he finally sits down with the media again -- it hasn't happened since the day after the playoff loss against the Denver Broncos -- he probably will make Haley sound like the second coming of Bill Walsh.

"I've admired Todd's work for a long time. You might remember his Arizona bunch gave us fits in Super Bowl XLIII. He's the perfect coach at the perfect time to lead our offense. We will not struggle again in the red zone. We will not finish 21st in the league in points ... "

What?

You expect to hear something else from Tomlin?

"I work for a meddling boss and I don't like it one bit. I've done a wonderful job here. I'm as successful as just about any coach in the NFL. And I can't pick my offensive coordinator? You've got to be kidding me! When is my contract up?"

I could be wrong, but I don't think Tomlin will go there.

At least not publicly.

Hey, all speculation is fair until we hear from Tomlin or more from Rooney. I can't say for sure one way or the other who hired Haley. We might never know. But I do know this: If Rooney forced Haley on Tomlin after forcing out Arians after a 12-4 season, Tomlin can't possibly like it.

Nor should he.

It would be enough to make Tomlin at least consider his long-term future with the Steelers, especially now that Rooney II appears to have taken nearly complete control of the franchise from his father, Dan.

Tomlin has done a wonderful job here. He is as successful as just about any coach in the NFL. In five years, he has convinced me he's a better coach than Bill Cowher before him. And Cowher was terrific.

The Steelers also have been great for Tomlin. The Rooneys gave him a chance to be an NFL coach when he was 34 and the relatively unknown defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings. They did so when it would have been a lot easier to promote Ken Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm from Cowher's staff. The Tomlin hiring was not popular with the team's players and many fans. But it turned out to be a tremendous hire.

There aren't better owners in sports than the Rooneys, at least there weren't before this offensive coordinator mess. They stuck with Cowher for 15 seasons, not all of them good. Before that, they had Hall of Famer Chuck Noll for 23 seasons, not all of them good. Other teams change coaches the way men change socks. The Steelers have had three coaches in 43 years. That's incredible support from ownership. Every coach should be so lucky to have it.

I'm guessing Tomlin will have the chance to be here for a long time. I'm just not so sure anymore that he wants to stay.

We're not going to have to wait long to find out.

Steelers.com has reported Tomlin's contract runs through next season with an option for 2013.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/12 ... z1lrW5pdbS (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/1209034-87-0.stm#ixzz1lrW5pdbS)

StarSpangledSteeler
02-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Don't try to paint the Rooneys as meddling owners. I'm not buying. The Rooneys have as much patience as any owners in sports. They are the definition of the word opportunity. Whether it's a young black coach or an UDFA, if you can produce you've got a spot on this team for as long as you can deliver those results (and even sometimes after your performance dips).

However, like all good owners, the Rooneys will not allow the inmates to run the prison. When there is a crisis, they will step in. If their franchise QB is out (allegedly) raping girls they will intervene. If their Super Bowl MVP WR is caught with weed for the fourth time, they will intervene. And if their head coach continues to let an idiot coordinator construct a game plan that allows their $100 million QB to get sacked more than any QB in the league, and can't construct a roster that can gain 2 yards on 3rd and 2, and can't figure out how to call correct plays in the red zone for FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS, they are going to intervene.

IMO Arians was a "crisis" situation, not only because of the low points scored but because he continued to watch Ben get killed and failed to make adjustments (or was unable to get Ben to make adjustments). Now that the Rooneys have righted the ship, I predict you will see them step back into the shadows and let the team perform the way it was built to perform.

Jooser
02-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Don't try to paint the Rooneys as meddling owners. I'm not buying. The Rooneys have as much patience as any owners in sports. They are the definition of the word opportunity. Whether it's a young black coach or an UDFA, if you can produce you've got a spot on this team for as long as you can deliver those results (and even sometimes after your performance dips).

However, like all good owners, the Rooneys will not allow the inmates to run the prison. When there is a crisis, they will step in. If their franchise QB is out (allegedly) raping girls they will intervene. If their Super Bowl MVP WR is caught with weed for the fourth time, they will intervene. And if their head coach continues to let an idiot coordinator construct a game plan that allows their $100 million QB to get sacked more than any QB in the league, and can't construct a roster that can gain 2 yards on 3rd and 2, and can't figure out how to call correct plays in the red zone for FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS, they are going to intervene.

IMO Arians was a "crisis" situation, not only because of the low points scored but because he continued to watch Ben get killed and failed to make adjustments (or was unable to get Ben to make adjustments). Now that the Rooneys have righted the ship, I predict you will see them step back into the shadows and let the team perform the way it was built to perform.

:Agree

Furthermore, I think these blockhead "sports reporters" need to find a new gig (ala Jerry Springer) if they want to continue to drum up drama. Let it go, Arians is GONE.

DukieBoy
02-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Furthermore, I think these blockhead "sports reporters" need to find a new gig (ala Jerry Springer) if they want to continue to drum up drama. Let it go, Arians is GONE.

:Agree 2

Oviedo
02-09-2012, 09:00 AM

:Agree :Agree :Agree

Typical rabble rousing sports media. They are all attention whores in an era where they are becoming increasingly irrelavant because of the internet.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
This is pathetic...

snarky
02-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Geez, all he has to say is that when he was asked about Arians, there were some internal discussions going on but nothing was decided at that point and he didn't want to tip his hand.

Do these sports writers think their questions are that tough to see coming (or answer).

phillyesq
02-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Isn't Cook the same guy who came out in defense of Arians just before he was fired?

I agree with everybody above -- terrible article.

NW Steeler
02-09-2012, 11:56 AM

:Agree :Agree :Agree

Typical rabble rousing sports media. They are all attention whores in an era where they are becoming increasingly irrelavant because of the internet.

:Agree :Agree :Agree :Agree

The guy that write this is an asshat. Ridiculous. I dont believe that Rooney forced Tomlin to hire Haley. But that is just my opinion.

williar
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
If Tomlin was a fan of the "Bruce n' Ben" show, if he was satisfied with the production he was getting from his offense that he wanted it to continue, I certainly would like to know why... I don't blame Rooney one bit. I'd blow up that mess too.

Jooser
02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Leave it to Rosenthall and PFT to jump on the pile (of dung). Now he's speculating that Tomlin may want to move on to a job without "meddlesome" owners? Absolutely asinine.

Did Mike Tomlin want to hire Todd Haley?

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 9, 2012, 10:12 AM EST

AP
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported after the regular season that Mike Tomlin wanted to retain offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

The Steelers and Tomlin never denied these reports. Two weeks later, the Steelers forced Arians to “retire.” Arians quickly found work with the Colts.

There is a strongly held belief in Pittsburgh that the Rooney family forced Tomlin to get rid of Arians. There is also some belief the Steelers forced Tomlin to hire Todd Haley as offensive coordinator instead of an in-house candidate.

Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette raises this question in a column for Thursday’s paper. PFT’s Mike Florio also heard chatter at the Super Bowl that Tomlin didn’t want to hire Haley. :roll: (sure he did)

The Steelers won’t ever confirm this. Tomlin will attend Haley’s press conference Thursday, but the head coach won’t speak. By the time Tomlin does speak, he’ll know just what to say to turn Haley’s hire into a non-story.

Cook notes that Tomlin’s contract runs out after the 2012 season with an option for 2013, and wonders if Tomlin might want to move on to another job because of meddlesome owners. Tomlin looks weak in all this; head coaches are supposed to have control of their staff. (Especially Super Bowl-winning head coaches.)

The Rooneys are held up as some of the best owners in team sports, but we’d criticize the Cowboys or Dolphins ownership if they pulled a similar stunt with their coaching staff.
(The difference is that for the Cowboys and Dolphins, the owners trump the coaches ALL the freaking time. The Rooneys do not.)

The difference is that the Rooneys have usually displayed great instincts with their decisions. (Like hiring Tomlin instead of an in-house candidate.) Perhaps hiring Haley will be the best thing for the Steelers, even if Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger don’t like the idea right now.

“It’s going to be definitely different for us,” Roethlisberger told Cook. “The powers that be make decisions and we live with it and go with it. We’ll just have to see where we go from here.”

williar
02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
There is a time and place for everything. This was the time and place for ownership to intervene. And if indeed Todd Haley was a "Rooney" hire. I trust the Rooney's. Tomlin still has much to prove, especially is he was signing off on Bruce Arians.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
There is a time and place for everything. This was the time and place for ownership to intervene. And if indeed Todd Haley was a "Rooney" hire. I trust the Rooney's. Tomlin still has much to prove, especially is he was signing off on Bruce Arians.

I think the success we've had these last 5 years give people the impression Tomlin is the GM and runs the FO.

NW Steeler
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Am I the only person that would like to punch Florio in the face? Highly doubtful. That dude really gets under my skin.

D Rock
02-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Let's make this really simple.

Tomlin doesn't hire or fire anybody. He himself was hired, and can be fired, by the boss. Rooney is the boss. Rooney is 'the Steelers' when 'the Steelers' hire or fire somebody.

That said, Tomlin certainly has a lot of input into who is on his staff, but he doesn't write any of their checks.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Jeez...Cook acts like Tomlin is going to be sweating while being grilled by reporters over all of this. He will be asked one question about it, give one of his 'no comment and if you ask me again I will beat your azz' answers, and they will move on from the questioning.

I do find it odd that Tomlin hasn't had one quote regarding the hiring of Haley, but it is what it is. The Rooney's have hinted for quite some time now that they weren't happy with the offense and Tomlin took no action to correct it. Since he didn't, they did. Let it be a learning experience for Tomlin....if ownership mentions they don't like something, then fix it, or they will.

I love the insinuation that Tomlin may be so angry over this that he will work his contract then move on elsewhere. Give me a break. There would be 10 coaches lined up to take the job!!!!

NW Steeler
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
The whole thing is just typical media dribble. It almost as irritating as all the talk about whether or not Eli is Hall of Fame material after winning his second SB. Can they just wait until a guys career is over or close to it? Who gives a crap? It is getting to the point to where I cant listen or watch it anymore. And NBC Sportstalk or whatever it is called is horrible, btw. Peter King is ok, but the rest of those guys suck.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Not sure why an OC coaching change after 5 years is a sign of discontent with the HC or internal conflict...

It was time for change... we changed OC's... it's that simple.

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 9, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/m-tomlin-a-rooney.jpg?w=250

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported after the regular season that Mike Tomlin wanted to retain offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

The Steelers and Tomlin never denied these reports. Two weeks later, the Steelers forced Arians to “retire.” Arians quickly found work with the Colts.

There is a strongly held belief in Pittsburgh that the Rooney family forced Tomlin to get rid of Arians. There is also some belief the Steelers forced Tomlin to hire Todd Haley as offensive coordinator instead of an in-house candidate.

Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette raises this question in a column for Thursday’s paper. PFT’s Mike Florio also heard chatter at the Super Bowl that Tomlin didn’t want to hire Haley.

The Steelers won’t ever confirm this. Tomlin will attend Haley’s press conference Thursday, but the head coach won’t speak. By the time Tomlin does speak, he’ll know just what to say to turn Haley’s hire into a non-story.

Cook notes that Tomlin’s contract runs out after the 2012 season with an option for 2013, and wonders if Tomlin might want to move on to another job because of meddlesome owners. Tomlin looks weak in all this; head coaches are supposed to have control of their staff. (Especially Super Bowl-winning head coaches.)

The Rooneys are held up as some of the best owners in team sports, but we’d criticize the Cowboys or Dolphins ownership if they pulled a similar stunt with their coaching staff.

The difference is that the Rooneys have usually displayed great instincts with their decisions. (Like hiring Tomlin instead of an in-house candidate.) Perhaps hiring Haley will be the best thing for the Steelers, even if Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger don’t like the idea right now.

“It’s going to be definitely different for us,” Roethlisberger told Cook. “The powers that be make decisions and we live with it and go with it. We’ll just have to see where we go from here.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... odd-haley/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/did-mike-tomlin-want-to-hire-todd-haley/)

phillyesq
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Am I the only person that would like to punch Florio in the face? Highly doubtful. That dude really gets under my skin.

You are certainly not alone. He's a d-bag of the highest magnitude.

feltdizz
02-09-2012, 02:25 PM

First off... do you really think a HC who won a SB his second year with the Steelers would have total control? No... I don't.

Did Tomlin hire Arians or bring him on staff when he was hired? No.. he didn't.

How many times have any of us bashed the Dolphins or Cowboys for their OC moves? None.. we don't care enough to bash them.

"The powers that be" are just that and they have a great track record.

Keyplay1
02-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Where was this jerk when the Steelers hired Kugler, Carnell Lake, or the ST coach?. He rarely does Steeler stuff. He is generally considered an advisor of the Pittsburgh Pirates. You see how well that goes. :D

Consensus has been all of the coaching hires since Tomlin took over have been excellent. Even if input from the organization is in the picture [similar to the draft] so what?

Anyone objectively looking over Haley's resume can easily see how Tomlin and/or the Pittsburgh organization would make this decision. He is even much more qualified than my initial outsider pick Tom Clements.

I just don't get this guy. There are some minor concerns in the organization and this guy is jumping in with both feet.

Not that if there are tough questions to be asked they should not. But really why manufacture them?

Oh well, I never listen to this guy and he is on my now new favorite sports talk radio station 93.7? KDKA. Can't keep it on 24/7 anyhow. He is also on TV on one of Pittsburgh stations at 10:30pm. I don't watch that either. But on that TV show it is not necessarily because he is on it but all those type shows that have reporters fielding questions suck. I mean they are gruesome. They feel compelled to answer questions that should never even bother being asked and it comes off very lame. At least to me.

NorthCoast
02-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Why make this more complicated than it is? The Steelers were in the bottom half of the league in scoring offense AND they did not improve as the season progressed. A change had to be made and it was. Who really cares who made the change. It needed to be made.

DukieBoy
02-10-2012, 08:19 AM

You are certainly not alone. He's a d-bag of the highest magnitude.

Florihole is a gossip columnist with an axe to grind trying to portray himself as an insider and an expert.

DukieBoy
02-10-2012, 08:26 AM

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/m-tomlin-a-rooney.jpg?w=250

Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette raises this question in a column for Thursday’s paper. PFT’s Mike Florio also heard chatter at the Super Bowl that Tomlin didn’t want to hire Haley.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... odd-haley/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/did-mike-tomlin-want-to-hire-todd-haley/)

Load of trash in this. Tomlin takes the high road, always. To portray that he would leave over this is pot-stirring conjecture and spin, as is much of the article.

Ben will mourn his loss and then get on with his goals, the same goals as Haley and Tomlin --- winning.

feltdizz
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Today on The Fan Cook and another guy (Vini? ) are all talking about how Haley needs to make sure he knows who the $100 million dollar QB is...

Most of the callers disagree and Cook is getting snippy with anyone who doesn't agree with him. Dude sounds like a douche...

Mister Pittsburgh
02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Today on The Fan Cook and another guy (maybe Bouchette) are all talking about how Haley needs to make sure he knows who the $100 million dollar QB is...

Most of the callers disagree and Cook is getting snippy with anyone who doesn't agree with him. Dude sounds like a douche...

If Ben was a 'system' QB and ran the system like a field general I may agree. He isn't that type of QB though. Half of our passing plays are broken plays. This is what everyone other then Ben seems to want fixed. Ben is such a great athlete I think if he can run a system he will be better then anyone out there. I think we need to run a system based off of what we did in the Patriots and Tennessee wins.

I think we need to go to a system with a single back, one TE, and 3 WR's and spread it out instead of bunching it all together. I think Barron Batch could emerge as a RB that could be the lone back in a system like this. Every once in a while go to two TE's like maybe in the redzone and have a pass catching TE like Saunders (so pissed he screwed up) to team up with Heath where they are both out for passes.

Slapstick
02-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Every once in a while go to two TE's like maybe in the redzone and have a pass catching TE like Saunders (so pissed he screwed up) to team up with Heath where they are both out for passes.

We don't know that he screwed up...

He could have taken something prescribed by a legitimate doctor...

grotonsteel
02-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Load of trash in this. Tomlin takes the high road, always. To portray that he would leave over this is pot-stirring conjecture and spin, as is much of the article.

Ben will mourn his loss and then get on with his goals, the same goals as Haley and Tomlin --- winning.

I can't wait till season start.

grotonsteel
02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Today on The Fan Cook and another guy (maybe Bouchette) are all talking about how Haley needs to make sure he knows who the $100 million dollar QB is...

If Ben was a 'system' QB and ran the system like a field general I may agree. He isn't that type of QB though. Half of our passing plays are broken plays. This is what everyone other then Ben seems to want fixed. Ben is such a great athlete I think if he can run a system he will be better then anyone out there. I think we need to run a system based off of what we did in the Patriots and Tennessee wins.

I think we need to go to a system with a single back, one TE, and 3 WR's and spread it out instead of bunching it all together. I think Barron Batch could emerge as a RB that could be the lone back in a system like this. Every once in a while go to two TE's like maybe in the redzone and have a pass catching TE like Saunders (so pissed he screwed up) to team up with Heath where they are both out for passes.

Ben and steelers offense does well in 3 WRs set. Now why we don't deploy that more often??

Also Steelers don't have TEs apart from Miller. Steelers offense will do well as long as we don't put DJ the dinosaur on the field. Multiple TE set is Offense Killer.

And barron Batch could be the key. He can be a great weapon on 3rd down.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM

http://www.reputationdoctor.com/images/charlie-sheen-winning-two-and-a-half-men-funny-interview-tee-black.jpg