PDA

View Full Version : QB draft classes and SBs

steelnavy
02-08-2012, 12:14 PM
After Eli won his second SB, I started wondering how the QB draft classes have performed over the years. Just seven years in, and Ben's class has participated in 5 SBs and won four. I am guessing that there are classes that never sniffed a SB, but I am too lazy to do the research... Anybody know where to look?

Thanks!

aggiebones
02-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Question is are their other QB classes that have 2 Super Bowl champs, let alone 2 multiple winners like Ben and Eli.

I doubt the Marino class won any. The Akili Smith class was thought to be great, but don't think anyone came out of that class with a ring.

jerseyfresh
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
I dont know about other draft classes, but im should glad Phillip Rivers hasnt come close to sniffing a Superbowl from this draft class. Sadly, he will still be put in the convo with Big Ben and Eli.

aggiebones
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.faniq.com/blog.php?id=22278&page=all

Interesting ranking of the top QB classes. And yes, Ben and Eli with Rovers are no.1. Also Shaub was a 3rd rounder in that class and could have chance at a ring if he stayed healthy this year. Houston is in position to make a couple runs at it in the next few years. Losman was the flop.

"#1: 2004
There were high hopes for the QB's in the 2004 Draft. There were 4 QB's picked in the first round, and 17 taken overall. Eli Manning, the #1 overall pick, hasn't been the best QB in the league, but he already has a Super Bowl win under his belt, and an extremely well-deserved Super Bowl MVP award. His performance against the Patriots in SB XLIII was the best of his career. Philip Rivers was selected a few picks later at #4, and he has already made the Pro Bowl once, and has led the Chargers to the playoffs in all 3 of his seasons as a starter so far. Of course, LaDainian Tomlinson has been a big help there, but Rivers' play has been excellent as well. Ben Roethlisberger went 11th overall, and already is the proud owner of 2 Super Bowl rings. The only bust to be had was JP Losman, who was drafted by the Bills at #22, and has been a career backup. His numbers still haven't been terrible though, so he's definitely not a huge bust... but a bust nonetheless. Matt Schaub (3rd, #90) still has the potential to be a pretty good QB, as well, which means this draft could end up producing 4 quality QB's out of the first 5 selected. They already have 3 Super Bowl rings, 2 Pro Bowlers and a Super Bowl MVP, making the 2004 Draft class the best QB class since 1983."

-Funny that PManning's class has 2 Super Bowl winners too. Charlie Batch is the other one :)

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I doubt the Marino class won any.

Elway was in that class and he won 2 Super Bowls late in his career. That class sure lost a lot of Super Bowls, though (4 SB losses for Kelly, 3 SB losses for Elway, 1 SB loss for Marino, 1 SB loss for Eason) Tony Eason started SBXX, didn't complete any of his 6 passes attempted against the Bears' vaunted 46 defense, and was then replaced by Steve Grogan in a 46-10 blowout loss. And, actually, since the Broncos also took Gary Kubiak late in that draft (before trading with the Colts for the rights to Elway), you could say that Kubiak was also a 3 time Super Bowl loser, since he was Elway's backup for each of those SB losses.

aggiebones
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Wow that is a ridiculous amount of losses for a class. Forgot Kelly was in that class.
Might consider that class tops unless Rivers or Shaub pulls off a SB wins. Or Ben adds a few more.

Matchup them up straight across is tough.

Ben versus Elway?
Eli versus Marino?
Rivers versus Kelly?
Shaub versus Eason?

Its still early, but I'd have to go with Marino's class. You can't look just at SBs due to the Dilfer factor. Though you give alot of bonus points for it, especially how Ben and Eli won some of those SBs.

But 3 HoFers is a tough stack. May have to wait til all careers are done before this gets truly settled.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Wow that is a ridiculous amount of losses for a class. Forgot Kelly was in that class.
Might consider that class tops unless Rivers or Shaub pulls off a SB wins. Or Ben adds a few more.

Matchup them up straight across is tough.

Ben versus Elway?
Eli versus Marino?
Rivers versus Kelly?
Shaub versus Eason?

Its still early, but I'd have to go with Marino's class. You can't look just at SBs due to the Dilfer factor. Though you give alot of bonus points for it, especially how Ben and Eli won some of those SBs.

But 3 HoFers is a tough stack. May have to wait til all careers are done before this gets truly settled.

Don't forget Todd Blackledge and Ken O'Brien. :lol:

There must be a couple of '04 seventh rounders we can compare them to.

ColumbusSteelerFan
02-10-2012, 11:42 AM
As a matter of fact, there were several 7th rounders in that QB class. Here's the entire list. I forgot about a lot of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft

4 106 Cleveland Browns Luke McCown QB Louisiana Tech WAC
3 90 Atlanta Falcons Matt Schaubâ€* QB Virginia ACC from Indianapolis[15]
1 22 Buffalo Bills J. P. Losman QB Tulane C-USA from Dallas[8]
1 1 San Diego Chargers Eli Manningâ€* QB Ole Miss SEC traded to New York Giants[5]
1 4 New York Giants Philip Riversâ€* QB NC State ACC traded to San Diego[6]
1 11 Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisbergerâ€* QB Miami (OH) MAC
6 185 Philadelphia Eagles Andy Hall QB Delaware CAA from Green Bay[21]
6 187 Baltimore Ravens Josh Harris QB Bowling Green MAC
5 148 Chicago Bears Craig Krenzel QB Ohio State Big Ten
7 217 San Francisco 49ers Cody Pickett QB Washington Pac-10
7 218 Cincinnati Bengals Casey Bramlet QB Wyoming MWC
6 193 Indianapolis Colts Jim Sorgi QB Wisconsin Big Ten
7 202 Arizona Cardinals John Navarre QB Michigan Big Ten
6* 201 St. Louis Rams Jeff Smoker QB Michigan State Big Ten
7 225 Denver Broncos Matt Mauck QB LSU SEC
7* 250 Denver Broncos Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State MWC
7* 248 Houston Texans B. J. Symons QB Texas Tech Big 12

flippy
02-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Wonder how the 2011 class will end up? There's a lot of guys from the most recent class that got to play a lot in their rookie years. Actually I don't remember so many rookies playing so much QB as this past year.