PDA

View Full Version : Football Coach Too Abrasive?

sd steel
02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Am I reading this correctly? We have people in this forum who are actually getting down on the Steelers new OC because why? He's too tough? He holds his players to a standard and doesn't give in and kiss up to primadonna millionaire athletes. Do you think Lombardi was abrasive? How about Noll?

The new era of the NFL is filled with players who are just happy being in the NFL and collecting the huge pay checks. They don't want anyone "bossing" them around. Well I played alot of football, and although I remember coaches who were tough, and abrasive and who called you out when you didn't execute, and you know what we called them??

Football coaches! Sounds to me like Haley doesn't kiss butt and doesn't give players a pass when they fail. Basically sounds just the opposite of Arians.

If you want to call Haley names for being a butthole, being abrasive, and not being best friends with the players, then call him what he is, an old school football coach. Probably learned it from Noll when he was a ball boy for the Steelers. Players earn respect by executing as the coach requires.

Anyone who doesn't understand that probably hasn't played football.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 03:15 PM

Like Haley? :stirpot

*sorry...had to...*

aggiebones
02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Playing pro ball is not a pre-requisite for understanding the game.

Haley has played more or the same ball than 99% on this board. Yet, he understands more than 99.99%.

Of course, I'm the .01% that knows more....before someone else claims it.

All this BS that he's abrasive or too much of an Ahole is all fabricated or brought about by people like TO.

He doesn't cater to prima donnas that much is true.

Now people are getting their panties in a wad over Ben clashing with him.

But Ben is such a competitor that I think they will get along well. Ben is not still struggling through his baby phase as a player. He's maturing unlike players like TO.

Don't worry, the guy has the offensive mind that we want since the BA dismissal.

grotonsteel
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Am I reading this correctly? We have people in this forum who are actually getting down on the Steelers new OC because why? He's too tough? He holds his players to a standard and doesn't give in and kiss up to primadonna millionaire athletes. Do you think Lombardi was abrasive? How about Noll?

The new era of the NFL is filled with players who are just happy being in the NFL and collecting the huge pay checks. They don't want anyone "bossing" them around. Well I played alot of football, and although I remember coaches who were tough, and abrasive and who called you out when you didn't execute, and you know what we called them??

Football coaches! Sounds to me like Haley doesn't kiss butt and doesn't give players a pass when they fail. Basically sounds just the opposite of Arians.

If you want to call Haley names for being a butthole, being abrasive, and not being best friends with the players, then call him what he is, an old school football coach. Probably learned it from Noll when he was a ball boy for the Steelers. Players earn respect by executing as the coach requires.

Going by that yardstick Tomlin and Dick lebeau are not football coaches i guess. I don't see Tomlin or Dick lebeau calling people out on sidelines.

These are professional football players not some high school players. You wanna give it to a player do it in practice and training camp. Be tough there. I don't want OC getting into a shoving match with players on the sideline. If you don't earn players respect well only person leaving the organization is so called football coach not the players.

I like the fact Todd Haley is not adamant on Run..which is a positive step i think. I will believe in Steelers FO and i believe Todd Haley will call more pass plays on first down and in Red Zone. Enough of the crap run for the sake of running the ball.

I will give it a year to Todd haley before commenting on him.

grotonsteel
02-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Like Haley? :stirpot

*sorry...had to...*

:lol:

williar
02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I am excited about the hire. I hope Haley is exactly as advertised because that is just what the doctor ordered for this team. Coaches need to coach and not French-kiss their players and tell them how beautiful they look. I can't wait because I finally want to see what a real NFL offense looks like....

Blow up the three stooges baby!! :tt2

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Going by that yardstick Tomlin and bad word lebeau are not football coaches i guess. I don't see Tomlin or bad word lebeau calling people out on sidelines.

These are professional football players not some high school players. You wanna give it to a player do it in practice and training camp. Be tough there. I don't want OC getting into a shoving match with players on the sideline. If you don't earn players respect well only person leaving the organization is so called football coach not the players.

I like the fact Todd Haley is not adamant on Run..which is a positive step i think. I will believe in Steelers FO and i believe Todd Haley will call more pass plays on first down and in Red Zone. Enough of the crap run for the sake of running the ball.

Maybe that's what Tomlin brought him in for...

There more than one way to coach...

I would look at who the shouting matches were with before drawing the conclusion that it's the only way he knows how to coach.

How many times have you seen our players talk back to a coach?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Going by that yardstick Tomlin and bad word lebeau are not football coaches i guess. I don't see Tomlin or bad word lebeau calling people out on sidelines.

I have seen both Tomlin and Lebeau get in players faces and say things in their ears. Anyone remember Dick Lebeau's reaction to Anthony Smith acting a fool? What does Tomlin say into the ear of players coming off the field after doing something stupid? Nobody knows. So the Haley wears his emotions on his sleeve. I would rather deal with someone like that then someone that gives me nothing back.

focosteeler
02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
[quote="sd steel":3vg80v16]Am I reading this correctly? We have people in this forum who are actually getting down on the Steelers new OC because why? He's too tough? He holds his players to a standard and doesn't give in and kiss up to primadonna millionaire athletes. Do you think Lombardi was abrasive? How about Noll?

I have seen both Tomlin and Lebeau get in players faces and say things in their ears. Anyone remember bad word Lebeau's reaction to Anthony Smith acting a fool? What does Tomlin say into the ear of players coming off the field after doing something stupid? Nobody knows. So the Haley wears his emotions on his sleeve. I would rather deal with someone like that then someone that gives me nothing back.[/quote:3vg80v16]

:Agree

I seem to remember Tomlin getting in Pouncey's face after a personal foul or something last year. People have different styles of dealing with things. Tomlin knows what players respond to what, maybe he will send Haley after some guys. He might actually work well with some players on our team who respond well to direct in your face criticism.

sd steel
02-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Maybe they don't have to call players out because the Steelers draft players who don't question criticism. Professional players need to be held accountable more than Highscholl players....they are getting payed to play. When Mike Singletary called out Vernon Davis on the sidelines and sent him to the lockerroom what effect did it have on Davis? In his own words it made him grow up and made him realize that the game is not about him, it's about the team. He is a better player now because of it.

Dee Dub
02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
For someone who claims to know football or have played it how come they are having a hard time understanding what the issue is with Haley? It isnt case of him being abrasive. He is this way because there is a disconnect between him and some of his players. Why is there a disconnect? I think it is pretty obvious.

Sd Steel you played football right? And never had a problem with a coach being abrasive, right? Well let me throw this at you..did you ever have an abrasive coach who coached you who had never played the game of football?

Ya see the difference?

I am the one who brought up the never played issue, but I am now on record as saying I am ok with the hire and I will support what the organization has done. Let's move on.

steelblood
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
For someone who claims to know football or have played it how come they are having a hard time understanding what the issue is with Haley? It isnt case of him being abrasive. He is this way because there is a disconnect between him and some of his players. Why is there a disconnect? I think it is pretty obvious.

Sd Steel you played football right? And never had a problem with a coach being abrasive, right? Well let me throw this at you..did you ever have an abrasive coach who coached you who had never played the game of football?

Ya see the difference?

I am the one who brought up the never played issue, but I am now on record as saying I am ok with the hire and I will support what the organization has done. Let's move on.

Why change your opinion? You were totally against this guy and now it is okay? Heck, you even make more arguments for a possible disconnect in the same thread as your endorsement.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 04:57 PM
When Haley was growing up, while his high school classmates were having two-a-day practices, he spent time in Latrobe with his father, staying in the dorms at Steeler training camp among the likes of Bradshaw, Franco, Lambert, Greene, etc. If you had this opportunity, would you give it up to play high school ball instead? As summer high school football practices continued, he would go with his father on three week scouting trips that doubled as family vacations. He spent endless hours breaking down film of college and pro players with his father. What he gained from spending time with his father and the Steelers as a kid seems to be much more important than what he would have gained on a high school gridiron when it comes to what makes him a better coach today.

Chiefs' Haley only NFL coach who never played

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Until now, it was like one of those little family secrets that everybody knows about but no one brings up.

Might be embarrassing. People wouldn't understand. Doesn't matter anyway, so why say anything?

But then a disgruntled Kansas City running back got on Twitter and blindsided his boss squarely on the rawest of nerves, calling him out on a point he sort of hoped would be ignored.

The Chiefs' Todd Haley, for reasons that were not entirely his fault, never actually played the sport that now employs him as a head coach in the National Football League.

An NFL head coach who did not play football? Who hasn't run a route, made a tackle or thrown a block at any level?

At least Haley, 42, is unique. He is the only head coach in the league who never played at least in high school.

Many of the top coaches did not have distinguished careers as players. But only Haley's playing resume is bare. Does it matter?

"Unfortunately, some NFL players will look at their coach and if he's not in that fraternity of ex-players, sometimes they might let it affect the way they look at him," said Tim Grunhard, a former Chiefs center who coaches at a large area high school. "I think that's a big mistake. A lot of outstanding NFL coaches never played much at all. From everything I've seen of Todd Haley, he's going to be a great head coach."

Running back Larry Johnson, who has a troubled history, got the controversy started when he posted a Twitter feed, littered with misspellings, following last Sunday's 37-7 loss to San Diego:

"My father played for the coach from "rememeber the titans. Our coach played golf. My father played for redskins briefley. Our coach. Nuthn. my father got more creditentials than most of these pro coaches.....google my father!!!!!!!"

He went on to make a gay slur, then got himself in even deeper trouble by repeating it the next day. An apologetic Johnson is now appealing a two-week suspension that could cost him more than $600,000.

But Haley was left standing in front of microphones and television cameras, forced to talk about something some fans find especially disturbing because the Chiefs, in his first year as a head coach, are 1-6 heading in their bye.

Of course, they were only 2-14 last year under Herm Edwards, a star cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Quietly and with a sense of dignity and humility, Haley defended himself.

"I'm very proud of what I've done to get to where I am," he said. "I'm very proud of my results as a position coach, as a coordinator. Right now, am I proud of my head coaching record? No. But I intend to do everything I can to change that."

For Haley to be taking these hits seems profoundly ironic because he grew up a football gym rat, immersed in the sport like few kids ever were. His father, Dick Haley, has been renowned for decades as one of the NFL's top personnel men. While Dick Haley was helping build the Pittsburgh dynasty of the 1970s, Todd would spend summers at Steelers training camp. He roomed next to Terry Bradshaw, ran errands for Franco Harris and Jack Lambert, and drank it all in.

In countless quiet hours with the lights in the house turned down, Todd sat there while his dad broke down film of college and pro players. The elder Haley would point out subtle nuances, things that only an expert eye would see, teaching his son, in the words of Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, "the difference between good and great."

When August would roll around and Todd's buddies were starting high school football practice, Dick Haley would pack up everyone and turn three-week scouting trips into a family vacation. He was on the road so much during the school year, he wanted to grab all the family time he could.

"Todd was into football always. The way we lived, it was different, that's all," Dick Haley told The Associated Press. "I thought it was more important to come with me than to stay at home and go to high school football practice. And he would be in training camp with me before that. Whether that's right or wrong, that's what I thought. That was me dictating. When you're 14 or 15 years old, you're going to do what your folks tell you."

Plus, the athletic youngster had fallen in love with golf, and was good enough to play at Miami and Florida in college.

"Todd was 6-2, about 210 pounds. Certainly, he could have played football," said his father.

For a while, the younger Haley coached golf. But in 1995, when he was 27, he took an entry-level job with the New York Jets as a scouting assistant and offensive assistant, and four years later was wide receivers coach under Bill Parcells.

Thus began a rapid rise through the ranks, culminating in last year's Super Bowl, where he served the Arizona Cardinals in his second season as offensive coordinator.

When Pioli was hired by the Chiefs, he chose Haley to be the head coach to help him repair a damaged franchise that hasn't won a postseason game since the 1993 season and won only six times in Edwards' final two years.

It may be tough for the talent-starved 2009 Chiefs to win more than a few games. But if the Chiefs do start winning, suggested one former NFL star, Haley's background will mean nothing.

"Players tend to look for excuses when they mess up," said former Pro Bowl lineman Conrad Dobler. "If they're losing, they might say, 'This guy can't possibly know how we feel.'

"But if they're winning, it won't matter if he never played before. Hell, it won't matter if he never coached before. I doubt that Todd Haley could have worked for Bill Parcells if he didn't know what he was doing."

None of the Chiefs players asked about their coach's background said it mattered a bit.

"There's not a man in this locker room who questions his qualifications," said wide receiver Bobby Wade.

Nevertheless, until his team finds success, it will probably remain a sensitive subject for the only NFL head coach who never played.

"I'm very proud of the route that I took to get to where I am right now," Haley said. "I'm very proud to have grown up around, in my opinion, one of the best football people there is, and to be around the teams and players that I was around on a daily basis.

"I think I've earned what I've done in the NFL through hard work and through execution and results. If playing is a prerequisite for being a great coach, you can eliminate some names."

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2009-10-31/chiefs-haley-only-nfl-coach-who-never-played-0?story-topic-NFL=NBA

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Ya see the difference?

WTF are you talking about...

Any player who uses "he never played" sounds tissue soft IMO. Take the ear beating and do your job better next time.

Is the tone different, do the words cut more from a coach who never played? I can almost hear a player crying while saying "..and he never played, he just doesn't know how hard these guys hit"

I had a pure azzzzhole as my HS coach... but he knew the game and had a hell of a track record. I NEVER EVER thought he couldn't relate because he never played...

I just thought he was an arrogant azzzhole... but I never questioned his basketball knowledge because he didn't play.

Dee Dub
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM

Ya see the difference?

Why change your opinion? You were totally against this guy and now it is okay? Heck, you even make more arguments for a possible disconnect in the same thread as your endorsement.

Here is what I had to say about this in a previous post...

I know this may raise a few eyes brows since I am the one who has been pushing the whole "he never played football thing", but I am actually cool with it.

It's like our President. He may not be the one I wanted but now that he is our Commander in Chief, I feel it is my duty as an American to support him. Same with the Steelers.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20289&start=15 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20289&start=15)

..I'm not gonna sit here and argue this all off-season. I trust the Steelers and will give them the benefit of the doubt.

steelblood
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3emymafd]For someone who claims to know football or have played it how come they are having a hard time understanding what the issue is with Haley? It isnt case of him being abrasive. He is this way because there is a disconnect between him and some of his players. Why is there a disconnect? I think it is pretty obvious.

Ya see the difference?

Here is what I had to say about this in a previous post...

I know this may raise a few eyes brows since I am the one who has been pushing the whole "he never played football thing", but I am actually cool with it.

It's like our President. He may not be the one I wanted but now that he is our Commander in Chief, I feel it is my duty as an American to support him. Same with the Steelers.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20289&start=15 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20289&start=15)

..I'm not gonna sit here and argue this all off-season. I trust the Steelers and will give them the benefit of the doubt.[/quote:3emymafd]

Works for me. Thanks.

Dee Dub
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Ya see the difference?

Any player who uses "he never played" sounds tissue soft IMO. Take the ear beating and do your job better next time.

Is the tone different, do the words cut more from a coach who never played? I can almost hear a player crying while saying "..and he never played, he just doesn't know how hard these guys hit"

I had a pure azzzzhole as my HS coach... but he knew the game and had a hell of a track record. I NEVER EVER thought he couldn't relate because he never played...

I just thought he was an arrogant azzzhole... but I never questioned his basketball knowledge because he didn't play.

I am not going to respond to someone who uses profanity. No matter how they disguise it.

Proverbs 15:2 The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge,
but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.

Proverbs 21: 23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue
keeps himself from calamity.

flippy
02-07-2012, 06:20 PM
I never understood motivation by fear or belittling or yelling. I'm not sure that brings out the best in people in football or any walk of life for that matter.

I'm a fan of managing to strengths. Take a genuine interest in those around you and find out what makes them tick. Likely you will find something uniquely amazing about everyone in life that you encounter. And encourage their personal motivation/drive to excel at the things they do well and you'll get way more out of them rather than focusing on fixing the things they don't do well. In fact, just ignore the short comings and work on the strengths.

Nearly every coach I've ever had is horrible at this. And it's not really their fault. It's a systematic thing across all sports. It's the way it's been done in the past and it continues. Unfortunately.

sd steel
02-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Ya see the difference?

I never had a problem with any coach. I was taught at a young age that you have to play for yourself and that I would have many coaches throughout the years and many that you won't like. I didn't let it affect how I played, and I never treated any coach, whether they played the sport or not with disrespect. I teach my kids and my players the same way. My first football and baseball coach was a Green Beret who played his college ball at USC, he was a bad ass and scary as hell. I had a coach who was a position coach in High School who never played a down of football in his life, and was a bigger wimp than Henry Winkler in the water boy. I have dealt with know it alls with no experience and know nothings with pro ball on their resumes. The coaches change and have different styles and different philosophies and different experience levels, I can't change that, I only control how I respond and what I want to take out of it.

My job as a player is to make my coach happy. That doesn't change from Pop Warner to the pros. The reason why there are issues in the NFL is because many times million dollar players don't want to be held accountable by anyone, let alone a guy who they can claim "never played the game". The only reason that info comes to light is because some player who got his ass chewed for not doing his job, got embarrassed, and pulled the "he never played card". I'm excited about what Haley brings to the Steelers this year.

pittpete
02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Haley’s positive defining traits were that his players liked playing for him and he developed some young talent. A lot of Chiefs played better under Haley than they did under Herm Edwards.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... portunity/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/13/todd-haley-looks-ahead-to-next-opportunity/)

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 08:13 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2binf51l]For someone who claims to know football or have played it how come they are having a hard time understanding what the issue is with Haley? It isnt case of him being abrasive. He is this way because there is a disconnect between him and some of his players. Why is there a disconnect? I think it is pretty obvious.

Ya see the difference?

I am not going to respond to someone who uses profanity. No matter how they disguise it.

Proverbs 15:2 The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge,
but the mouth of the fool gushes folly.

Proverbs 21: 23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue
keeps himself from calamity.[/quote:2binf51l]

Too abrasive huh? My bad... :roll:

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Regardless of how people think about him, the Steelers' fans and players all need to recognize this:

All of us, including Haley, simply want the team to succeed. Abrasive shmasive...

Flasteel
02-07-2012, 10:38 PM

I coached for one of the top high school programs in the country for many years. I know you played the game, but what you said is simply idiotic SD. It's not about being tough, it's about being an *******, who can't establish a meaningful relationship with his players. If you can't connect with your players, then you'll never tap their full potential. They may curse your name sometimes, but if they don't respect you, you will no-doubt fail as a coach.

I saw it happen up close when we experienced a head coaching change. The new HC was cool with us coaches, but he publicly and privately berated the players...I'm talking ******* of the year stuff. I had guys coming to me left and right, who wanted to quit the team and in the end, he never won jack with us. As soon as our previous hall of fame coach returned (who is also limited in his people skills, but at least a respectful man), we immediately started going deep into the playoffs and just won our 5th state championship.

sd steel
02-08-2012, 01:10 AM

I coached for one of the top high school programs in the country for many years. I know you played the game, but what you said is simply idiotic SD. It's not about being tough, it's about being an *******, who can't establish a meaningful relationship with his players. If you can't connect with your players, then you'll never tap their full potential. They may curse your name sometimes, but if they don't respect you, you will no-doubt fail as a coach.

I saw it happen up close when we experienced a head coaching change. The new HC was cool with us coaches, but he publicly and privately berated the players...I'm talking ******* of the year stuff. I had guys coming to me left and right, who wanted to quit the team and in the end, he never won jack with us. As soon as our previous hall of fame coach returned (who is also limited in his people skills, but at least a respectful man), we immediately started going deep into the playoffs and just won our 5th state championship.

I'm not getting your point FLA. Why did he berate the players? Was there a problem with execution? Was there a lack of discipline. Why didn't they respect the coach?

I have coached many years, and I do create relationships with my players, but I don't have to be friends with them, and they don't have to like me to respect me. That being said my methods are about instilling confidence in my players. I am not a yeller. I don't get on kids for physical mistakes, but they will hear me when mental mistakes are made and for a lack of effort. In short, I am liked by my players, but I don't think it's necessary to be liked to be respected or to be a successful coach. Players will play harder for you, but the reality is if your players aren't playing hard for themselves they can love you to death and it won't matter. You have to instill a team first mentality but if you want to get the best out of them they have have enough self respect to play at their own high standards. Coach SD isn't going to be holding their hands the rest of their life. You want a successful team you teach them to play for them, then they won't need a figure head to motivate them to play hard and get better, they will do it for themselves.

Shawn
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM

Ya see the difference?

In the interview, the players denied it was an issue with him not playing. They basically just said that they didn't like him because he was a %^&*

feltdizz
02-08-2012, 10:20 AM
[quote="sd steel":2lm8duaw]Am I reading this correctly? We have people in this forum who are actually getting down on the Steelers new OC because why? He's too tough? He holds his players to a standard and doesn't give in and kiss up to primadonna millionaire athletes. Do you think Lombardi was abrasive? How about Noll?

I'm not getting your point FLA. Why did he berate the players? Was there a problem with execution? Was there a lack of discipline. Why didn't they respect the coach?

I have coached many years, and I do create relationships with my players, but I don't have to be friends with them, and they don't have to like me to respect me. That being said my methods are about instilling confidence in my players. I am not a yeller. I don't get on kids for physical mistakes, but they will hear me when mental mistakes are made and for a lack of effort. In short, I am liked by my players, but I don't think it's necessary to be liked to be respected or to be a successful coach. Players will play harder for you, but the reality is if your players aren't playing hard for themselves they can love you to death and it won't matter. You have to instill a team first mentality but if you want to get the best out of them they have have enough self respect to play at their own high standards. Coach SD isn't going to be holding their hands the rest of their life. You want a successful team you teach them to play for them, then they won't need a figure head to motivate them to play hard and get better, they will do it for themselves.[/quote:2lm8duaw]

Reminds me of Faneca being difficult with the new coaches and the blocking scheme because he was butt hurt about Grimm not getting the job...

hawaiiansteel
02-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Offensive coordinator Haley's abrasive style doesn't deter Steelers

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 8, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-07/0208HaleyMAINAP-a.jpg

There is a method to Todd Haley's perceived madness, and looking beyond the fits of anger to which he is prone is the key to understanding the new Steelers' offensive coordinator.

That is the message Kurt Warner has for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had flourished under Bruce Arians and developed a close relationship with the Steelers' former offensive coordinator.

"You have to welcome people that come along that aren't willing to be status quo, and that's what I would tell Ben or any of the (Steelers') players," said Warner, the former NFL quarterback who resurrected his career in Arizona while Haley was the offensive coordinator there. "Everybody sees the outburst on the sidelines and hears about some of those things, and they get scared away by that persona.

"All I would tell those guys is, you always have to figure out where a coach is coming from before you can read too much into certain characteristics or certain antics that they have."

The Steelers left little doubt they were trying to shake things up when they officially hired Haley on Tuesday.

Haley, who returns to the organization for which he once served as a ball boy, is strong-willed and fiercely competitive, and he can be confrontational.

The coaching style that has been described as abrasive is something that could put Haley on a collision course with Roethlisberger.

"I know all the reports and talks about how outspoken he is, and for me I'm a guy that believes as long as those things aren't personal I welcome opportunities for people to challenge me to be better, and that's what Todd's about," said Warner, who is an analyst for NFL Network. "I'm OK with a guy seeing me not play my best and get on me for it, no matter how much success I've had and what I've accomplished."

Haley has built a reputation for having a keen offensive mind and an ability to adapt to his personnel. He also clashed with players he became close with, such as Warner, because is so demanding.

He inherits an offense that struggled with efficiency last season — the Steelers were tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 points per game) — despite having a 4,000-yard passer (Roethlisberger) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown).

"He's a coach that's not afraid to challenge guys," Warner said, "regardless of where you stand in the hierarchy, how long you've been there, what your contract is, what kind of success you've had."

Warner nearly led the Cardinals to an upset of the Steelers in the Super Bowl XLIII, and Arizona's success that season led to Haley's hiring in 2009 as Kansas City's head coach.

Haley was fired after a little less than three seasons with the Chiefs, but as landing spots go it probably doesn't get much better for Haley than Pittsburgh.

He graduated from Upper St. Clair High School, and his father, Dick, helped build teams that won four Super Bowls in the 1970s as the Steelers' director of player personnel.

"I am excited about the opportunity to come back home and work for a tremendous organization," Haley said in a statement released by the Steelers. "My father has so many fond memories both from his playing days and his time in the personnel department with the team, and I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh."

HALEY'S RESUME

Todd Haley will work for his sixth NFL franchise after joining the Steelers on Tuesday as the team's new offensive coordinator. Here are his other NFL stops:

Years: Position

2009-11: Kansas City Chiefs' coach

2007-09: Arizona Cardinals' offensive coordinator

2004-06: Dallas Cowboys' wide receivers coach/passing game coordinator

2001-03: Chicago Bears' wide receivers coach

1997-2000: New York Jets' offensive assistant/wide receivers coach

1995-96: New York Jets' scouting assistant

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1lob3o0y1 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780546.html#ixzz1lob3o0y1)

flippy
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh."

He won me over with that attitude. I'm a sucker for SuperBowls :)

grotonsteel
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Haley has built a reputation for having a keen offensive mind and an ability to adapt to his personnel. He also clashed with players he became close with, such as Warner, because is so demanding.

Hmm..i did not know that Warner and Hailey clashed?? Interesting...

Good thing though is Todd Haley's ability to adapt to his personnel. I am hopeful that he can maintain pass-first offense especially in Red Zone by taking advantage of Ben and young WR core.

If ARII wants to run the ball more Todd Haley can tell ARII thanks but no thanks.

grotonsteel
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Well said.

I want Todd Haley to be a tough Steelers OC not a jerk.

I can't wait for next season. It will be interesting. Hopefully we will see a much improved offense.

sd steel
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
groton steel wrote:

I want Todd Haley to be a tough Steelers OC not a jerk.

The problem is many times you are tough on players they perceive you to be a jerk.

Being tough and being a jerk are not mutually exclusive.

feltdizz
02-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I could see if HOFers and well respected players were trashing Haley but it sounds like it was mostly losers and cast off's.

Flasteel
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
[quote="sd steel":yqnadefa]Am I reading this correctly? We have people in this forum who are actually getting down on the Steelers new OC because why? He's too tough? He holds his players to a standard and doesn't give in and kiss up to primadonna millionaire athletes. Do you think Lombardi was abrasive? How about Noll?

I have coached many years, and I do create relationships with my players, but I don't have to be friends with them, and they don't have to like me to respect me. That being said my methods are about instilling confidence in my players. I am not a yeller. I don't get on kids for physical mistakes, but they will hear me when mental mistakes are made and for a lack of effort. In short, I am liked by my players, but I don't think it's necessary to be liked to be respected or to be a successful coach. Players will play harder for you, but the reality is if your players aren't playing hard for themselves they can love you to death and it won't matter. You have to instill a team first mentality but if you want to get the best out of them they have have enough self respect to play at their own high standards. Coach SD isn't going to be holding their hands the rest of their life. You want a successful team you teach them to play for them, then they won't need a figure head to motivate them to play hard and get better, they will do it for themselves.[/quote:yqnadefa]

I forgot you coached too...and I didn't mean to imply you are an idiot either. What I am saying is that when you treat the people you lead in a disrespectful way, you cannot lead effectively.

You are saying that Haley's "abraisive" style of coaching is all about being tough, demanding, and calling players on their mistakes...but is not disrespectful.

I'm saying that his abraisive style is inclusive of disrespect towards his players and it's at the center of many complaints.

I was a yeller as a coach...although I was almost always positive with it and never disrespected my guys. I'm also an ex-Army sergeant and kind of brought that mentality to the sideline, so I'm all about old-school.

I think we are saying and agreeing on the exact same thing. We just have a different perception of how Haley has treated his players in the past.

sd steel
02-09-2012, 12:34 AM
I agree Fla. I have no way to judge Haley and why he has been labeled "abrasive", but I heard some of it came from Larry Johnson, who in my opinion has been a malcontent and an underacheiver since he got into the league. He tweeted about his father having more experience than Haley. It sounds to me like Haley is a perfectionist and holds players accountable. If you have bad seeds on a team and a coach comes in and lays down the law, those bad seeds are gonna get mad and fire back and create drama. It's pretty hard to talk crap about Chuck Noll when he holds you accountable, but might be easier to try to ruin a guy who doesn't have that resume and doesn't have the backing of a strong organization behind him.

It sounds to me like you might be considered an abrasive coach with your military background, but who are the guys who complain the most about abrasive coaches? Normally guys who aren't playing up to the standard. Being that you coach you know that all players don't respond to the same methods. Haley might be a one method coach, and in the NFL with all sorts of personalities he has obviously rubbed some people wrong, but does that mean his style is bad, or maybe some of the players he has coached just don't appreciate his style, and they don't take kindly to some guy who never played holding them accountable? I'm guessing that's the case, but I'm sure we will find out soon enough.