PDA

View Full Version : Neil Rackers Really Doesn't Like Haley

flippy
02-07-2012, 12:18 PM
[youtube:w5f72bxn]mWVVdJIGw8g[/youtube:w5f72bxn]

Some of these comments are worse than I expected.

paraphrased...."I never had to deal with him and I butted heads with him"

"Our offense leads us to a SuperBowl and the OC gets hired away and the offense throws a party to celebrate his leaving"

The best part is the called him "Ball Boy" cause no one liked him.

sd steel
02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
So a kicker is calling the OC "ball boy"? I'm sorry but a kicker isn't considered a football player in my opinion. He takes AZ to the Super Bowl with his offense and they have a party because he left? No wonder AZ sucks.

If the OC is bumping heads with a kicker even though they never talk whose fault is that? The overpriced ego inflated kicker calling the OC "ball boy", or the OC who got AZ to the Super Bowl?

This makes me feel even better about Haley, because our FO won't allow our players to outwardly disrespect a coach.

Come on, a kicker making a comment about someone never playing football??? That's priceless and shows what a douche Rackers is.

BTW nice beaning Neil, must be 90 degrees in AZ. :lol:

mazze
02-07-2012, 12:41 PM
So a kicker is calling the OC "ball boy"? I'm sorry but a kicker isn't considered a football player in my opinion. He takes AZ to the Super Bowl with his offense and they have a party because he left? No wonder AZ sucks.

If the OC is bumping heads with a kicker even though they never talk whose fault is that? The overpriced ego inflated kicker calling the OC "ball boy", or the OC who got AZ to the Super Bowl?

This makes me feel even better about Haley, because our FO won't allow our players to outwardly disrespect a coach.

Come on, a kicker making a comment about someone never playing football??? That's priceless and shows what a douche Rackers is.

The team called him BallBoy not just the kicker, hence the use of the word "we". Every single report out there is that Haley is an ass, but keep on defending him. There are 3 players in that video and not one of them has anything good to say about him.

steelblood
02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I am NOT comparing Todd Haley to Coughlin. But, most of Coughlin's ex-players HATED him until he won a Super Bowl. Since then, his is called tough, but successful. I am NOT saying it is the same thing. But, there may be some similar circumstances with a tough, opinionated, fiery coach.

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 12:47 PM

The team called him BallBoy not just the kicker, hence the use of the word "we". Every single report out there is that Haley is an bad word, but keep on defending him. There are 3 players in that video and not one of them has anything good to say about him.

The team calling him names hasn't been good since he left. I think success after him would give them some merit..

mazze
02-07-2012, 12:57 PM

The team called him BallBoy not just the kicker, hence the use of the word "we". Every single report out there is that Haley is an bad word, but keep on defending him. There are 3 players in that video and not one of them has anything good to say about him.

The team calling him names hasn't been good since he left. I think success after him would give them some merit..

Actually they made the playoffs again after Haley left. It's probably safe to say that his success is attributed to Kurt Warner. WHo has played QB since Warner retired? Leinhart

phillyesq
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Why pile on the guy before he has done anything? What good does that do?

I have concerns about some of his personality issues, but I'm certainly rooting for him to succeed with the Steelers.

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
And...why should we care what Neil Rackers has to say?

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
And...why should we care what Neil Rackers has to say?

because he actually played the game :wink:

Not sure why people care about a bunch of guys who never had success after Haley left...

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Shaun Suisham is busy coming up with clever nicknames for the Steelers new O.C. as we speak... :lol:

grotonsteel
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I am NOT comparing Todd Haley to Coughlin. But, most of Coughlin's ex-players HATED him until he won a Super Bowl. Since then, his is called tough, but successful. I am NOT saying it is the same thing. But, there may be some similar circumstances with a tough, opinionated, fiery coach.

Huge difference between Haley and Coughlin. Coughin had some success as a HC but still he had to tone down his rhetoric to make his players play for him. He won 2 SB after makin some changes to his behavior.

Hopefully Haley learnt his lesson after getting canned as HC and tone down his antics. These are professional players and not high school kids. You can't be yelling all the time at them.

rpmpit
02-07-2012, 01:19 PM
So the guy is a dick. Ok. How many of us are in love with our bosses??

If we can run the ball and actually score tds, I'll be happy.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2012, 01:31 PM
The Rooney's have ALWAYS treated players with respect. Anyone that thinks they are going to hire Todd Haley and let him act like a moron is dillusional. Anyone that thinks Tomlin is going to stand by and watch Haley act like a moron, is dillusional.

Let the guy coach a season before you line up with your torch and pitchfork. If our offense finishes in the top 5 in scoring, will it be accredited to 'Haley is coaching the offense Arians built'??? :lol:

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
02-07-2012, 01:42 PM
[youtube:2rzcwooa]mWVVdJIGw8g[/youtube:2rzcwooa]

Some of these comments are worse than I expected.

paraphrased...."I never had to deal with him and I butted heads with him"

"Our offense leads us to a SuperBowl and the OC gets hired away and the offense throws a party to celebrate his leaving"

The best part is the called him "Ball Boy" cause no one liked him.

People from Pittsburgh tend to but heads with people NOT from Pittsburgh. We have a way about us and expectations for ourselves and those we work with. I expect Haley to fit right in with the team. Maybe Swish-im won't like him but who really cares...

Starlifter
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
my only concern about haley is it's possible his success is more the result of Kurt Warner than his play calling. I'm sure that's a factor, but ultimately I don't think it is the case. I believe Haley is well respected. As for whether he's personally a douche - at this point, I'm not convinced having an 'in your face' douche is bad for the offense right now. I believe (for many reasons) the offense underachieved last year. Let's see if haley can light a fire under their butts.

Blitz-en
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
1. Parcells thought enough of Haley, after working with him in New York, to bring him along to Dallas.
2. Pioli thought enough of Haley, after working with him in New York, to bring him along with him to KC. You may not like Pioli, but he at least knew what a good coach looked like after spending time in N.E. with Belichick*, McDaniels, Crennel and Weiss.
3. The Rooney's think he is a good fit.

I have my reservations about the Haley hire. But, the points above give me a little bit of confidence.

A month ago, I decided, if I was in charge, I would: Fire Arians and bring in somebody from the outside that would help Ben and the offense take the next step. Included in that would be an OC that is able to delicately work with Ben and convince him that hard work, film study and a tweak of his style could prolong his career and actually jump him to his ultimate potential as a QB. I say, two down, and one to go. The third wish may be the most difficult.

Ghost
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
"Here we are, we're honoring Dirt Dawson and J Bulter making the the Hall of Fame, and we're talking about some idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off."

"He may be a good kicker but he's an idiot."

aggiebones
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Rackers would call him Sir to his face and ball boy under his covers at home.
He was even acting like a pu$$y while he was saying it.

I'll take Rooney's opinion over those boobs on that 'round table'

Maybe being in a decent organization will give Todd a better cast of people to communicate with.
I seriously doubt Haley had any words with Rackers. What really do ANY coaches say to kickers. Stay off the main field or 'kick over there out of the way'

LouSteel
02-07-2012, 04:20 PM
3. The Rooney's think he is a good fit.

:Agree

To me, that says it all. PERIOD.

The Rooney's live and breathe football. They know this team from the inside out. If they had even the slightest belief that Haley might be bad for this team, do you think they'd bless the hire? NOT A CHANCE. They're too focused on doing things for the long term good of the franchise.

If the Rooney's believe that Haley is what this team needs, I'll put my full faith in them and in the hire.

steelblood
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Huge difference between Haley and Coughlin. .

You are an excellent reader.

7 UP
02-07-2012, 07:59 PM
To me the video speaks volumes. Why would you discount anything Rackers says because hes a kicker? He is letting you in on what went on in the Cardinals locker room. No matter what position Rackers played, he was there, we were not. He has no reason at all to lie. I have never, ever, heard anyone who has ever worked for Haley say anything nice about him.

Im not so sure he is such an offensive genius either. The only year he was successful in KC Charlie Weis called the plays. BTW, Charlie Weis hates Haley too. In Arizona, its kind of hard not to be successful when you have Kurt Warrener.

Im willing to give Haley a chance. But this hire has disaster written all over it. The Steelers spend so much time bringing in good locker room guys, that frankly this move is shocking to me. I wouldnt be surprised if Haley dosent make it through his first season. I really hope Im wrong.

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Haley has the job so he is going to get a chance to show and prove.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
In Arizona, its kind of hard not to be successful when you have Kurt Warrener.

Kurt Warner was awesome when he first entered the league for St. Louis for 3 years from 99-01...appeared to be on the fast track to the Hall of Fame. Then his career fell off the face of the earth in the 5 years from 2002-2006...he was on 3 different teams and couldn't hold a starting job in any of them (27 TD's and 30 INT's in those 5 years total). Then Todd Haley shows up in the desert in 2007, and magically Warner morphs back into the potential Hall of Fame talent that he was during the Y2K era...he threw the same number of TD's in his first year with Haley than he did in the previous 5 seasons combined (and then improved upon that number and went to the Super Bowl in his second year with Haley).

sd steel
02-07-2012, 08:47 PM
To me the video speaks volumes. Why would you discount anything Rackers says because hes a kicker? He is letting you in on what went on in the Cardinals locker room. No matter what position Rackers played, he was there, we were not. He has no reason at all to lie. I have never, ever, heard anyone who has ever worked for Haley say anything nice about him.

Im not so sure he is such an offensive genius either. The only year he was successful in KC Charlie Weis called the plays. BTW, Charlie Weis hates Haley too. In Arizona, its kind of hard not to be successful when you have Kurt Warrener.

Im willing to give Haley a chance. But this hire has disaster written all over it. The Steelers spend so much time bringing in good locker room guys, that frankly this move is shocking to me. I wouldnt be surprised if Haley dosent make it through his first season. I really hope Im wrong.

I not saying Rackers is lieing, I'm saying who cares what Rackers thinks, he is a kicker. Kickers aren't football players, they are kickers. Being that he bumped heads with the OC means he has a problem. Being that he said "we" players refered to him as "ballboy" means Rackers was creating strife in the lockerroom. Whether the players like Haley or not, especially an idiot kicker, should not be the issue. The issue will be whether or not he can get them to execute and score points.

Snatch98
02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm trying to figure out why anyone should care what a NFL kicker thinks about a Coach. I've always viewed the kicker and punter positions as the players most DISCONNECTED from the head coach or coordinator.

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Kurt Warner was awesome when he first entered the league for St. Louis for 3 years from 99-01...appeared to be on the fast track to the Hall of Fame. Then his career fell off the face of the earth in the 5 years from 2002-2006...he was on 3 different teams and couldn't hold a starting job in any of them (27 TD's and 30 INT's in those 5 years total). Then Todd Haley shows up in the desert in 2007, and magically Warner morphs back into the potential Hall of Fame talent that he was during the Y2K era...he threw the same number of TD's in his first year with Haley than he did in the previous 5 seasons combined (and then improved upon that number and went to the Super Bowl in his second year with Haley).

I think Kurt Warner with Fitz and company would make most OC's look good. You still have to give Haley credit and I'm excited to see what he does with our weapons.

7 UP
02-07-2012, 09:20 PM

I dont disagree with any of this. However Warrener did have the hand issue in New York. He wasnt fully healthy until he played for the Cardinals. That being said Im not going to totally discount Haley's contributions there. Haley and Kurts relationship was rocky to say the least. But, their offense was exceptional, so I will give Haley his do.

7 UP
02-07-2012, 09:22 PM

I think Kurt Warner with Fitz and company would make most OC's look good. You still have to give Haley credit and I'm excited to see what he does with our weapons.

I do give Haley his due for the success he had in Zona. However, how was the run game during his stint in Zona? Not very good. Its amazing what having the right personnel can do for you.

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't think the run game was good a runningfame is over rated IMO. Haley went with their strength in AZ.... When he had weapons on the ground in KC the running game was impressive.

I wouldn't be surprised we air it out next year because our OL is horrible in the run game. 2 years from now I expect a better ground game but the pass will still rule.

7 UP
02-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm trying to figure out why anyone should care what a NFL kicker thinks about a Coach. I've always viewed the kicker and punter positions as the players most DISCONNECTED from the head coach or coordinator.

Can we please stop this? Rackers is telling you what happened in the Arizona locker room. What the hell difference does it make whether he is a kicker, a coach, a ballboy, or a mouse with a hole in one of the lockers. He was there, we were not. Ill take his word for it. Plus, what he is saying is consistent with everything that everyone else who has ever dealt with Haley has to say.

All of this being said, Im not totally against the hire. I actually do think he is a pretty good offensive mind. But I can tell you right now Ben will not be berated the way Haley has berated other Qbs hes worked with. Could be great, could be a disaster.

pittpete
02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Did they hire him for his charm or his offensive football knowledge?
Who cares if other players didnt like him or bad mouth him.
Only one way we're going to find out what Haley is all about come September.

dirt
02-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Here's what I don't get. If players had so little respect for Haley in AZ, why was it reported the cardinals were interested in bringing him back?

Shoe
02-07-2012, 10:57 PM

No, you're right. So is the other person who said, "that's why AZ is AZ." Players undermining the coaches... me thinks if Coughlin was with a franchise like AZ, he'd have been dumped long before Coughlin got his team to the championship. This year even... he had an average team (in terms of record)... a lot of coaches might've gotten the ax. The Giants stuck with him, and look where they are.

It's a totally legit comparison.

Steelerphile
02-08-2012, 06:24 AM
I am not surprised at all that now there seems to be displeasure about who the Steelers have hired. It is difficult if not impossible to please fans with the OC. I'm sure he'll be ripped before long for his play calling or something else. We'll see if the hate surpasses the Arians level.

That's the problem with hiring a guy who is a retread. He most likely came from some job that he lost through difficult circumstances, and there will be those who didn't like him, there. If you hire someone who never was an OC, then you are not sure what he will do, and the fans are poised to hit him with the IDIOT label maybe quicker.

One observation I would make about a guy like Haley, who never played the game, but somehow rose to become a head coach, he must have a high aptitude for football X's and Os. You don't need to play the game to have that. It reminds me of someone who starts out as a janitor and then becomes the CEO.

Past pain and conflict can also serve to educate and mellow someone personally. So he should have grown from all of his experiences.

BackwoodsSteeler
02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
So Rackers says the O threw a party after he left but then in an article posted in another thread here, Warner says he was, and remains close to Haley.

So which is it?

AngryAsian
02-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Not trying to pee on anyone's corn flakes here, but after reading thread after thread of panic stricken posters' negative opinions if our new OC... I have to chuckle. His "style" of coaching is a non-issue because he has superiors that will make him accountable. The ownership of this great franchise (along with respected football talent evaluators like Parcells and Pioli) have a better track record for these sort of decisions than a moron kicker. But regardless of the simple logic that has been so nicely presented by others on this board, by all means.... continue the panic.

Shawn
02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
The players liking the coach is irrelevant to me. What are the results of the coaching? Sometimes the best bosses are the unpopular ones.

Shawn
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
my only concern about haley is it's possible his success is more the result of Kurt Warner than his play calling. I'm sure that's a factor, but ultimately I don't think it is the case. I believe Haley is well respected. As for whether he's personally a douche - at this point, I'm not convinced having an 'in your face' douche is bad for the offense right now. I believe (for many reasons) the offense underachieved last year. Let's see if haley can light a fire under their butts.

And we have a winner!

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 01:23 PM
So Rackers says the O threw a party after he left but then in an article posted in another thread here, Warner says he was, and remains close to Haley.

So which is it?

Haley & Warner > Haley & Rackers

Haley & Roethlisberger > Haley & Suisham

Everest & Suisham > Everest & Roethlisberger

steelz09
02-08-2012, 02:01 PM
I have the same concern as most about Haley... in that he's got into heated arguments with his players.

HOWEVER, I don't care if the players have a love affair with him. What's most important is that the players respect him.

The players may not be "buddy", "buddy" with Haley but they need to respect him. As a coach, respect is much more important.

feltdizz
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Not trying to pee on anyone's corn flakes here, but after reading thread after thread of panic stricken posters' negative opinions if our new OC... I have to chuckle. His "style" of coaching is a non-issue because he has superiors that will make him accountable. The ownership of this great franchise (along with respected football talent evaluators like Parcells and Pioli) have a better track record for these sort of decisions than a moron kicker. But regardless of the simple logic that has been so nicely presented by others on this board, by all means.... continue the panic.

Shawn
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Personally, I could care less if the O is more pass happy or more run happy. What I do care about is an OCs ability to work with the pieces he has been given and create an O around that. What I have seen from Haley is his ability to adjust his O to his talent...rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. This makes me happy.

Oviedo
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I have the same concern as most about Haley... in that he's got into heated arguments with his players.

HOWEVER, I don't care if the players have a love affair with him. What's most important is that the players respect him.

The players may not be "buddy", "buddy" with Haley but they need to respect him. As a coach, respect is much more important.

You mean like the "great" Bill Cowher yelling and spitting in the faces of his players but to many he is the type of coach they worship. Haley gets in a players face and he is out of control.

Bottomline is that we are seeing that no OC will ever please Steelers fans. They will always dig up something from the past because everyone plays Madden and therefore there are thousands of great offensive minds.

grotonsteel
02-08-2012, 03:48 PM

If they respect the coach they will play for him no matter what.

grotonsteel
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM

You mean like the "great" Bill Cowher yelling and spitting in the faces of his players but to many he is the type of coach they worship. Haley gets in a players face and he is out of control.

Bottomline is that we are seeing that no OC will ever please Steelers fans. They will always dig up something from the past because everyone plays Madden and therefore there are thousands of great offensive minds.

I think its all about earning the respect, buying into the system. If players respect him i don't think shouting or getting angry is going to be an issue.

If Todd haley tries to come with my way or highway attitude well i don't think its going to work. Todd Haley is not working with bunch of rookies. He will have to earn the respect and that part will be interesting.

feltdizz
02-08-2012, 04:37 PM

I think its all about earning the respect, buying into the system. If players respect him i don't think shouting or getting angry is going to be an issue.

If Todd haley tries to come with my way or highway attitude well i don't think its going to work. Todd Haley is not working with bunch of rookies. He will have to earn the respect and that part will be interesting.

The only respect I think Haley needs is showing these talented chumps how to score some points.

Why are we giving an offense that "underperformed" so much respect? I know we have talented players but they aren't living up to the hype when we look at efficiency and execution in the red zone.

What does a new OC have to earn? Besides Ben, we have a young group on offense and they need to earn Haley's respect by showing him they can buy in and perform.

If Haley goes in with a "I don't want to hurt your feelings, tell me what feels good" attitude he will be gone with the quickness... as long as we don't have any Sweed's on our team we will be fine.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 05:06 PM
as long as we don't have any Sweed's on our team we will be fine.

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Stanley+Cup+Finals+Team+Practice+Sessions+i6dizJiB soKl.jpghttp://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sedintwins1000.jpg?w=320
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/sarah_kwak/04/23/rangers.capitals.game4/Henrik-Lundqvist.2.jpg http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/daniel-alfredsson.jpg

Oh wait...you said Sweeds, not Swedes. :wink:

Mo_Steel
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
as long as we don't have any Sweed's on our team we will be fine.

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Stanley+Cup+Finals+Team+Practice+Sessions+i6dizJiB soKl.jpghttp://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sedintwins1000.jpg?w=320
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/sarah_kwak/04/23/rangers.capitals.game4/Henrik-Lundqvist.2.jpg http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/daniel-alfredsson.jpg

Oh wait...you said Sweeds, not Swedes. :wink:

That is good...

I think Peyton said this best "our drunk idiot kicker" come on we're talking about a kicker. We are also talking about a kicker that is probably not as accurate as some of the qb's he's played with; there's some exaggeration there but not much 79.5 fgm pct for career.

sd steel
02-08-2012, 05:47 PM

If they respect the coach they will play for him no matter what.

No if they collect a check from the organization they will play for him. How they play will depend on how much self respect they have, whether they respect the coach or not.

ikestops85
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Yes, Cowher got in players faces yelling and spitting ... but did you ever see a player return that in kind? Cowher had the respect of his players before he started doing that. We have seen several instances of Haley getting in a screaming "match" with players. If players are yelling back at him they aren't showing him respect. Yes, that worries me.

The bottom line is not that no OC will ever please Steeler fans. If Clements was hired I think the board would have overwhelmingly applauded it. If Caldwell was hired I think the board would have exploded from the protesting. I don't like the Haley hire for the following reasons:

1) Haley has a checkered reputation with his players. Some like and respect him but far too many don't. This isn't horrible (I don't think many Giant players like Coughlin) but it is a consideration.

2) I'm not sold on Haley's qualifications as an OC. Was Arizona's offense successful because of Haley or because of Warner/Fitz? The one good year KC had on offense Weis was calling the plays.

3) He ran Gailey off 2 weeks before the season started in his first year in KC and called the plays himself. His offense was horrible. He hired Weis as OC his second year and the offense did very well. Weis then ran off because he couldn't get along with Haley. Not getting along with players is one thing but not getting along with coaches is a red flag for me.

Okay, those are my reasons for not jumping up and down for joy on the Haley hire. I hope he becomes the best OC in NFL history. I hope he has our offense averaging 30 points a game next year. I only care that he gets results but until he does you can color me cautiously optimistic with emphasis on the cautious.