PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Haley Butt Heads With?

flippy
02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
The consensus seems to be Haley's a little crazy and he's gonna butt heads with someone.

Who's it gonna be?

My guess is he's gonna have a great relationship with Ben. And Antonio Brown. And Heath. And Ward if he's around. There's a lot of professionals on our offense that are probably every bit a perfectionist that Haley is and I expect those guys will get along fine. And Haley's passion might even re-energize them.

The 2 potential guys I see Haley possibly butting heads with are Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall.

Wallace talking about 2000 yards and disappearing last season as Brown emerged are the 2 red flags. I have a feeling Haley might push Wallace to be better, just not sure how Mike will respond to that style.

And I just have this feeling Haley will be all over Mendy to be more decisive. To hit holes faster. To run with power and move forward and pick up consistent yards. And to hold onto the rock. Mendy's been in Tomlin's dog house and I think Tomlin has a load of patience. Just have a feeling he might be in Haley's dog house already for some reason.

costanza2k1
02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Interesting question, why mess around with smaller players? Go for it all, go after James Harrison, lol

sd steel
02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't see him "bumping heads" with anyone who wants to improve their game. If someone feels they know it all, or they are already at their apex then Haley will weed them out in my opinion.

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Ask Woodland Hills grad Steve Breaston:

New Chief Steve Breaston: “Coach Haley’s not always a butthole”

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2011, 11:11 AM EST

Shortly after Steve Breaston agreed to terms with the Chiefs on a five-year contract that reunited him with Kansas City head coach Todd Haley, Breaston gave a radio interview in which he was asked about his relationship with Haley.

Breaston’s short description of what kind of guy Haley is may set the standard for damning with faint praise.

“Coach Haley’s not always a butthole,” Breaston said on 810 Sports Radio, via ArrowheadAddict.com.

Haley was the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator during Breaston’s first two NFL seasons, and Breaston had by far his best statistical year in 2008, catching 77 passes for 1,006 yards in Haley’s offense. So Breaston clearly knows he can work well with Haley.

And if Haley were really a complete butthole, Breaston never would have agreed to play for him again. So maybe he’s only 90 percent butthole.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -butthole/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/new-chief-steve-breaston-coach-haley%E2%80%99s-not-always-a-butthole/)

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Ask Woodland Hills grad Steve Breaston:

New Chief Steve Breaston: “Coach Haley’s not always a butthole”

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2011, 11:11 AM EST

Shortly after Steve Breaston agreed to terms with the Chiefs on a five-year contract that reunited him with Kansas City head coach Todd Haley, Breaston gave a radio interview in which he was asked about his relationship with Haley.

Breaston’s short description of what kind of guy Haley is may set the standard for damning with faint praise.

“Coach Haley’s not always a butthole,” Breaston said on 810 Sports Radio, via ArrowheadAddict.com.

Haley was the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator during Breaston’s first two NFL seasons, and Breaston had by far his best statistical year in 2008, catching 77 passes for 1,006 yards in Haley’s offense. So Breaston clearly knows he can work well with Haley.

And if Haley were really a complete butthole, Breaston never would have agreed to play for him again. So maybe he’s only 90 percent butthole.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -butthole/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/new-chief-steve-breaston-coach-haley%E2%80%99s-not-always-a-butthole/)

"Not Always A Butthole"...classic. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
We should bring in Gus Frerotte and Owen Schmitt to butt heads with Haley. :wink:

http://www.deuceofdavenport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/frerotteheadbutt.gif

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/128997703893564030.jpg

rpmpit
02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Hopefully not this guy...

http://media02.hongkiat.com/big-head-photo-manipulation/another-big-headache.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 01:32 PM

http://media02.hongkiat.com/big-head-photo-manipulation/another-big-headache.jpg

Why is there a fork in his ass? :lol:

JDSteeler
02-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Flip, I don't think he will...in fact, Tomlin is such a WUSS, it will be like a breathe
of freash air...

My first point...is, isn't it the coaches job to coach???

The players, at the NFL level, know what to expect from a coach...and
a coach has to be alot of things...he has to be great, not just ok, at what he does,
a motivator, a critic, and he has to crack the whip sometimes...

The Steelers player don't get enough of it, and forgot what a coach is...

(I will rant on D. LeBeau in another thread)

Haley will make them all work, and get that passion back for some Smash-Mouth Football...Pittsburgh-Style!!!

Our O-line just got better, along with the play-calling (couldn't be any worse
than AriANUS), as well as the RB's, and WR's. Ben just got better and he doesnt
even know it yet!!!

EVERYTHING about the Offense is 1000x's better!!!!

AriANUS was not a good coach, and he sucks at what he does!! AriANUS was not a
motivator!! AriANUS coddled alot of his players, and didn't get in their FACE!!

AriANUS could not AND would not adjust the game plan, if plan A was not working.

The guy was a stubborn, old, predictable, mule, and did nothing to help the offense protect Ben, after the ankle injury.

That, to me, was his undoing!!! He still had Ben in 5-7 step drops, and WR's
running 40 yard patterns...what a jack-a$$!!!

The reason that he got his a$$ FIRED, was a combo of his arrogance, and him
getting too close to some of the players, and way too close to BEN. He cuddled
up to Ben, and thought that would save his job...Rooney saw thru that, and cut it
off before it got too out of hand.

That brings me to my next thought...WTF is Tomlin thinking?? He wanted AriANUS
back as the OC??? He seems to put up a strong persona, but I'm thinking he's a bit
of a softy...WAKE-UP TOMMY!!!!!

Haley, IMHO, just removed Tomlin's balls from the jar that AriANUS had them in...!!!

Maybe Tomlin doesn't like to rock the boat, so he hired a guy that can motivate in a
different way...

It will be a good thing that Haley comes in here...for one thing, to COACH-UP the
offense, put some friggin BALLS back in the Steelers O, and most importantly, show
Tomlin what we have been missing in the O for the last 5 years!!!!

I'll bet Haley knows how to spell S-C-R-E-E-N!! I also hope he knows how to spell
F-U-L-L-B-A-C-K!! and a TRUE fullback...not a friggin bum like David Johnson, another
one of AriANUS's coddled pets!!

And last but not least...I'll bet he knows hpw to spell...H-I-N-E-S W-A-R-D!!!!!

How in the WORLD did AriANUS get away with benching Hines Ward!!! Who the "F"
is AriANUS to bench the all-time Steeler Franchise Wide-Receiver?!?!

Tomlin must be SICK IN THE F-ing HEAD!!!! TOMLIN signed off on that???? WOW!!!

And the way it was handled with Ward...Gosh Almighty!!! AAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm shocked Ward isn't walking out the door...

The SteelerNation should be having a full-on Coronary, like me, over it!!!!!

Once Wallace took a poo in the bed, Ward shoulda been in there alot more, but AriANUS
coddled Wallace, and never got in his face, and NEVER coached him either!!!

Wallace needs Haley!!! The whole offense does, and it couldn't have come at a better
time!!!

Enjoy Indy, you fat , mule, POS...AriANUS....jumping for joy you are finally outta here, and that stanky, old mule of a friggin playbook!!! Ride that $h!t outta here!!!!

Frooooothing at the mouth like a crazed dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD

rpmpit
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Why is there a fork in his bad word? :lol:

Ha, didn't notice the fork!! :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Flip, I don't think he will...in fact, Tomlin is such a WUSS, it will be like a breathe
of freash air...

a coach has to be alot of things...he has to be great, not just ok, at what he does,

Haley will make them all work, and get that passion back for some Smash-Mouth Football...Pittsburgh-Style!!!

even know it yet!!!

AriANUS could not AND would not adjust the game plan, if plan A was not working.

The guy was a stubborn, old, predictable, mule, and did nothing to help the offense protect Ben, after the ankle injury.

up to Ben, and thought that would save his job...Rooney saw thru that, and cut it

back as the OC??? He seems to put up a strong persona, but I'm thinking he's a bit

Haley, IMHO, just removed Tomlin's balls from the jar that AriANUS had them in...!!!

Maybe Tomlin doesn't like to rock the boat, so he hired a guy that can motivate in a
different way...

It will be a good thing that Haley comes in here...for one thing, to COACH-UP the
offense, put some friggin BALLS back in the Steelers O, and most importantly, show

I'll bet Haley knows how to spell S-C-R-E-E-N!! I also hope he knows how to spell
F-U-L-L-B-A-C-K!! and a TRUE fullback...not a friggin bum like David Johnson, another

And last but not least...I'll bet he knows hpw to spell...H-I-N-E-S W-A-R-D!!!!!

And the way it was handled with Ward...Gosh Almighty!!! AAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once Wallace took a poo in the bed, Ward shoulda been in there alot more, but AriANUS

Wallace needs Haley!!! The whole offense does, and it couldn't have come at a better
time!!!

Enjoy Indy, you fat , mule, POS...AriANUS....jumping for joy you are finally outta here, and that stanky, old mule of a friggin playbook!!! Ride that $h!t outta here!!!!

JD

OK, we get you don't like Tomlin but he is far from a "wuss." Ask Casey Hampton how much of a "wuss" he is. Because Tomlin is not an overly emotional attention whore like Cowher that doesn't make him weak at all. If anything it is an asset dealing with professionals not Pee Wee footballers.

anger 82&95
02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
The consensus seems to be Haley's a little crazy and he's gonna butt heads with someone.

Who's it gonna be?

My guess is he's gonna have a great relationship with Ben. And Antonio Brown. And Heath. And Ward if he's around. There's a lot of professionals on our offense that are probably every bit a perfectionist that Haley is and I expect those guys will get along fine. And Haley's passion might even re-energize them.

The 2 potential guys I see Haley possibly butting heads with are Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall.

Wallace talking about 2000 yards and disappearing last season as Brown emerged are the 2 red flags. I have a feeling Haley might push Wallace to be better, just not sure how Mike will respond to that style.

And I just have this feeling Haley will be all over Mendy to be more decisive. To hit holes faster. To run with power and move forward and pick up consistent yards. And to hold onto the rock. Mendy's been in Tomlin's dog house and I think Tomlin has a load of patience. Just have a feeling he might be in Haley's dog house already for some reason.
I wonder if there may be some initial tension with B. Ben because of his prior relationship with Arians.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 02:16 PM

I ask a question about a fork, JDSteeler is the next to post, and he doesn't even mention the Fork of Greatness???

:wft :lol:

mazze
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Our O-line sucks in space, but the OC should call a bunch of RB screens. :Blah

williar
02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
of freash air...

even know it yet!!!

different way...

time!!!

JD

Who Ride????? I AM.... :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

rpmpit
02-07-2012, 02:44 PM

I ask a question about a fork, JDSteeler is the next to post, and he doesn't even mention the Fork of Greatness???

Was thinking the exact same thing!! Maybe he wants us to forget he has it. Maybe he's worried someone will try to steal it away from him!

costanza2k1
02-07-2012, 02:57 PM

That's the first thing Ruthless looked at. :lol:

Oviedo
02-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Our OL sucks in general and until it improves it won't matter who the OC is or what he calls

mazze
02-07-2012, 03:11 PM

Our OL sucks in general and until it improves it won't matter who the OC is or what he calls

You'll get no argument from me there. But, I'm still amazed at how many people complain about our screen game or lack there of and fail to acknowledge how important the line is to the screen.

rpmpit
02-07-2012, 03:32 PM

That's the first thing Ruthless looked at. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

grotonsteel
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM

You'll get no argument from me there. But, I'm still amazed at how many people complain about our screen game or lack there of and fail to acknowledge how important the line is to the screen.

+1

RB Screens and Draw Plays with below average O-line is a receipe for disaster. Improve O-line in the offseason and see consistency in Offense.

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Hey, a guy who played for him in AZ and followed him to KC, said that he "isn't always a butthole."

What more do you want?

I can't even say that about some posters!!! :lol:

steelblood
02-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I will guess that he and Fichtner get into it.

pittpete
02-07-2012, 09:51 PM
RB Screens and Draw Plays with below average O-line is a receipe for disaster

Definitely agree, but having a bad O-line didnt stop Brucie from going 5 wides even when his QB had a bum fn ankle.

JDSteeler
02-07-2012, 11:55 PM

Sorry Ruth, didnt see your reference about the fork until now...

...and really, I wish I had not seen the reference...

I don't think it's really worth any real commentary at this time...

JD

DukieBoy
02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
We should bring in Gus Frerotte and Owen Schmitt to butt heads with Haley. :wink:

http://www.deuceofdavenport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/frerotteheadbutt.gif

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/128997703893564030.jpg

Priceless!

BackwoodsSteeler
02-08-2012, 08:17 AM
of freash air...

even know it yet!!!

different way...

time!!!

JD
Hines is slow, old and can't get open.

Hell, Lipps was a great Steeler too. Wanna bring him back and start him over younger, faster, better players?

flippy
02-08-2012, 11:46 AM

JD started his post hours before your comment ;)

aggiebones
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Just as Tomlin butted heads with a few guys (slackers) when he arrived, Haley will too. Gotta mark up someone. If there is a hard case or someone that needs to be made an example of, he will do it. And they will likely lose their job. Interesting to see who. Our offense doesn't have alot of hard cases these days, like a Faneca to challenge authority, so he may go unchallenged. That said, our guys seem more professional. Mendy doesn't use his full mental capabilities when thinking, so he could call Haley a slave owner, Bin Laden or something stupid. As great as our WR corp, they will be asked to tighten up routes as we are shifting away from Ben playing sandlot ball. There may be encounters here. Any of our WRs could take a beating on this. Wallace, Brown and Sanders will be pushed into a more disciplined system and they will have to correct some things that may have forced Ben to run out of the pocket more often.

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Erroneous perceptions dog Haley

Wednesday, February 08, 2012
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There's a perception out there that Steelers new offensive coordinator Todd Haley is a tyrant. It's one thing to be emotional, a good thing actually in a sport as competitive as football. But many say Haley frequently steps over the line, that he is headstrong, confrontational and difficult to work with and for. Certainly, he will be a giant pain in the butt for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and the players.

There's also a perception that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a pampered baby. Many say he was too chummy with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. The two have offseason homes in the same Georgia development. They have golfed together and vacationed together. Certainly, Roethlisberger will chafe under Haley's strong grip and be a detriment to the team after taking advantage of his relationship with Arians and running the offense his way.

Heard it said that perception is reality?

I don't believe it in either case.

Haley has enemies, just as Tomlin does and Bill Cowher did and even Chuck Noll did. All coaches have 'em. They don't have friction-free relationships with all their assistants and players.

It's also beyond dispute that Haley is fiery. He has been caught on tape having sideline arguments with many former players, including Keyshawn Johnson, Terrell Owens, Kurt Warner, Anquan Boldin and Matt Cassel. He even had on-field disputes with former boss Bill Parcells. You might say he's a chip off the Parcells block.

And this is a bad thing?

I say not necessarily.

For more insight I give you a player whose opinion I respect greatly -- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. He played for Haley when Haley was the Cardinals offensive coordinator in the 2007 and '08 seasons and said this about him late in '10 when Haley was leading the Kansas City Chiefs to the AFC West title as their head coach:

"I think Todd is a great coach. He's fun to play for. Everybody says he's a hard ass and this, that and the third, but at the end of the day when Todd came in the locker room he'd give you the biggest hug. He wanted it so bad for us. He prepared so much and he pushed us. I remember after the NFC championship game" -- a 32-25 win by the Cardinals against the Philadelphia Eagles that put Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII against the Steelers after the '08 season -- "he was in tears. Those moments are what I'll remember."

I'm not naďve. I know that endorsement doesn't guarantee Haley will be successful with the Steelers. But it does tell me that Haley isn't always the monster he's portrayed as being. And even if his tough-love coaching style is tougher than most, it doesn't guarantee that his players will hate him and he will fail.

Give the man a chance.

I know Roethlisberger will.

I think it's foolish that many have suggested Roethlisberger is so angry about losing Arians that he will take his football, quit on the Steelers and go home. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Sure, Roethlisberger is close to Arians, who landed as the Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator a week after Steelers president Art Rooney II forced him out last month over the wishes of Tomlin. "We love Bruce," Roethlisberger told NFL Network before Haley was hired. "I love Bruce and have a great relationship. All of the offensive guys do."

It's also true that Roethlisberger, like many of us, isn't thrilled with change. He knows what he had in Arians. He has heard the stories about Haley -- good and bad -- but he has no idea what to expect from him. "It's going to be definitely different for us," Roethlisberger said. "The powers that be make decisions and we live with it and go with it. We'll just have to see where we go from here."

But beyond his fondness for Arians and his fear of change, Roethlisberger is a professional. He's also an extraordinary competitor. He'll learn to like any coach who can help him and his team win.

Quickly.

As for that change business, it's hard to imagine Haley bringing in an entirely new offense. During his time with the Cardinals, his head coach was Ken Whisenhunt, who was the Steelers offensive coordinator from '04-'06 and put in much of the offense that the Steelers still use. The transition from Arians to Haley -- at least from an X's and O's standpoint -- should be relatively painless.

The Steelers offense doesn't need an overhaul. It just needs a "tweak," to use the words of Rooney, who, considering the way Arians was removed, might have pushed Tomlin to hire Haley.

In any case, Haley is in a wonderful spot after being fired by the Chiefs in December after a 5-8 start. The Steelers are coming off a 12-4 season and will be a playoff contender every year for as long as Roethlisberger is in his prime and stays healthy. The young wide receivers are terrific and the running backs are solid, especially if Rashard Mendenhall is able to come back from a serious knee injury. The key is the offensive line. Rooney has said he thinks it's plenty good enough if the big guys stay healthy.

Haley has shown he is willing to coach to his team's strengths. With the Cardinals, he had quarterback Kurt Warner throwing the ball all over the field to Fitzgerald and receiver Anquan Bolden. With the Chiefs, he ran it more. It's nice to think he'll be able to use everybody with the Steelers and find a little more of the balance that Rooney seems to want.

Forget the erroneous perceptions.

Haley and the Steelers -- especially Roethlisberger -- have a real chance to be a nice match.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12039/12 ... z1luBTbNvv (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12039/1208718-87-0.stm#ixzz1luBTbNvv)