PDA

View Full Version : Wesley Saunders Suspended?

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2012, 08:44 AM
saw on another site, possibly drug related.

sucks if true, was hoping he could develop into something.

Steelers>NFL
02-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Probably was actor Wesley Snipe... :)

Shawn
02-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I have seen it on a couple sites. 4 games of the 2012 season, undisclosed team rule violation. As long as it's not disclosed it could be a bunch of nonsense. I certainly hope so.

Eich
02-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I have seen it on a couple sites. 4 games of the 2012 season, undisclosed team rule violation. As long as it's not disclosed it could be a bunch of nonsense. I certainly hope so.

I don't see how 4 games could possibly be nonsense.

Shawn
02-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Eich, what I mean is that I hope the rumor isn't true. 4 games would be a likely drug related offense.

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Ben's four game suspension was nonsense...

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
What a moron. I had high hopes for him. I would cut his butt right now if this is true.

phillyesq
02-07-2012, 09:44 AM
I know a lot of people had high hopes for Saunders. I was more cautiously optimistic, but if this is true, he shouldn't be counted on as anything more than somebody to compete for the third TE role.

pittpete
02-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Probably means D.Johnson makes the team.
Terrible news :wft

Shawn
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
No doubt Saunders has the physical tools to be a terrific TE. It's everything else I worry about.

fezziwig
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I hope it's not true. I really thought he would become a major weapon for our team and a big time TE in the NFL.

Are the players still be tested or did this stem from the 2011 season ? Who does the testing, the NFL or the Steelers and is it for all players or names pulled from a hat ?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
I hope it's not true. I really thought he would become a major weapon for our team and a big time TE in the NFL.

Me too. And after all his BS in S.Carolina I had hoped he learned his lesson.

Ghost
02-07-2012, 09:53 AM

This thought makes me sad.... :cry:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
He was asked about it on Twitter 2 hours ago with no tweets since then. This will be interesting. We all know the Steelers way..But they have shown to flex sometimes. I know how they feel about the kid. He already got his second chance. It wouldn't be a surprised to see the Steelers put his a$$ in the doghouse through camp and let him serve his suspension and come back. I could see that happening as easily as the axe coming down once it is confirmed. Then of course after that happens, the hipocracy of the league will have him being signed somewhere after he serves his suspendion and becoming a star. If they give him another chance, he will have to "get it" real fast.

JAR
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
PFT picked up the Twitter report, so who knows.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... our-games/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/nfl-suspends-steelers-tight-end-weslye-saunders-four-games/)

https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider/st ... 2226200576 (https://twitter.com/#!/RavensInsider/statuses/166749522226200576)

mazze
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
When it rains it pours.

JAR
02-07-2012, 10:59 AM
When it rains it pours.

I see nothing concrete..just rumors right now.

mazze
02-07-2012, 11:04 AM
When it rains it pours.

haha

I'm still holding out hope that the hiring of Haley is just a bad dream.

sd steel
02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
When it rains it pours.

haha

Why the hate for Haley? You haven't seen day one with the guy and you hate him already? That doesn't make alot of sense. Do you know him personally or something?

mazze
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
When it rains it pours.

haha

Why the hate for Haley? You haven't seen day one with the guy and you hate him already? That doesn't make alot of sense. Do you know him personally or something?

Apparently his players think so highly of him they throw parties to celebrate when he leaves.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20296 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20296)

He's had repeated blow ups with players and coaches on the sidelines. When is the last time you saw an HC in the NFL get his team penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct? From all accounts he's just not good people and his resume as an OC isn't exactly spectacular. He spent two years as an OC in AZ and didn't call his own plays until midway through the 2nd season. He didn't teach Warner how to get rid of the ball, read defenses, or accuracy. Warner had all of those traits long before his arrival. It's not exactly a stretch to say that any success he had was due to Warner and Fitzgergald. And the only time he had any success in KC Charlie Weiss was the OC.

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 12:42 PM
You can say just as many good things as well...

Without Haley, how many playoff appearances have the Cardinals made?

In KC, Haley inherited a 2-14 team and won the division within two years...

Just because he may or may not be a good people person has no bearing upon the job he has done with offenses...

mazze
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Just because he may or may not be a good people person has no bearing upon the job he has done with offenses...

Whiz was calling the plays until midway through the 2nd season. He won the division with Weiss as OC, in the weakest division in the NFL, and against a WEAK schedule. How many playoff games have they made without probable future HOF QB Warner?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Whiz was calling the plays until midway through the 2nd season. He won the division with Weiss as OC, in the weakest division in the NFL, and against a WEAK schedule. How many playoff games have they made without probable future HOF QB Warner?
Whiz handed over the playcalling to Haley halfway through the first season. Haley called all the plays the year they went to the SB.

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Please stop....

JAR
02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Damn, looks to be true.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 80418.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780418.html)

The Steelers will be without tight end Weslye Saunders, who showed promise as a rookie in 2011, for the first four games of the 2012 season.

Saunders, who played in all 16 regular-season games in 2011, has been suspended by the NFL for the first quarter of the season. The Steelers confirmed the suspension today but did not give a reason for the punishment.

The 6-5, 270-pound Saunders caught four passes for 29 yards and a touchdown last season.

Saunders had been widely considered one of the top tight end prospects in the 2011 draft, but the South Carolina product went undrafted free agent after getting kicked off the team prior to his senior season.

South Carolina booted Saunders for violating team rules and lying to the NCAA about his dealings with an agent. He signed with the Steelers in July, following the end of the NFL lockout.

focosteeler
02-07-2012, 01:36 PM

did it say what kind of drugs? because honestly if it was PED's I wouldnt be as dissappointed as if he was smoking who knows what

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 02:00 PM

did it say what kind of drugs? because honestly if it was PED's I wouldnt be as dissappointed as if he was smoking who knows what

it doesn't matter to me... 4 games is 4 games... I was hoping he would be in the game plan early on next year.

Oviedo
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Not surprising to see the hate on the Offensive Coordinator not stopping even before he calls a single play. Not surprising and LeBeau is probably dancing in the streets because it gives him another year of not be held accountable by fans because it will always be the offense's fault :stirpot

costanza2k1
02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
[youtube:1agar1ws]ReYfu5E-hOE[/youtube:1agar1ws]

costanza2k1
02-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I take my tombstone vid back, hearing on the radio the NFL has some explaining to do on this one.

Mark Kaboly @MarkKaboly_Trib

#Steelers Wes Saunders isn't going anywhere because he did nothing wrong. But unfortunately we live in a world where assume the worst first.

costanza2k1
02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
therapeutic drugs are a lot different than performance enhancers, and with that, I'll leave it alone.

costanza2k1
02-07-2012, 03:54 PM
he didn't leave it alone :lol:

Players don't get suspended four games because of weed. Ask santonio

JAR
02-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I take my tombstone vid back, hearing on the radio the NFL has some explaining to do on this one.

#Steelers Wes Saunders isn't going anywhere because he did nothing wrong. But unfortunately we live in a world where assume the worst first.

WTH??

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
very interesting.

Don't you get a 1st strike before suspension?

JAR
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
he didn't leave it alone :lol:

Players don't get suspended four games because of weed. Ask santonio

Dejan_Kovacevic
If what I've heard is true, it's the #NFL that has explaining to do re Wes Saunders suspension, not Saunders. #Steelers

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Performance enhancing drugs, according to this site:
http://steelerstoday.com/?page_id=9090

steelblood
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Kaboly is one of the most frustrating reporters around. What in the world do some of those Tweets even mean?

fezziwig
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
not a good track record when they hire out

Snatch98
02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
When it rains it pours.

haha

How long are we going to have to endure this on the board? You have 37 posts and AT LEAST 20 of them are about Haley. What ever happened to the "wait and see" mentality? Let us know when you're putting the soap box away.

EDIT: and I hope Saunders doesn't get the axe. If it's just performance enhancing drugs I don't think it's a cut worthy offense. Also if what is being discussed on twitter carries any weight the NFL REALLY has a screw or two loose. We've known this for a while but :wft

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I just can't believe that Saunders would be so dumb...

You are a UDFA. You have no margin for error...

Here's hoping the Steelers beat reporters are on to something...

Snatch98
02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I just can't believe that Saunders would be so dumb...

You are a UDFA. You have no margin for error...

Here's hoping the Steelers beat reporters are on to something...

If it's performance enhancing drugs I couldn't care less personally. THe umbrella for that violation is SO large it's ridiculous. I also hope the beat reporters are on to something but i don't feel it's a cut worthy offense for one and two the NFL is ridiculous. If you have a beat reporter stating he did nothing wrong there has to be some credence to the claim. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

mazze
02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
When it rains it pours.

haha

How long are we going to have to endure this on the board? You have 37 posts and AT LEAST 20 of them are about Haley. What ever happened to the "wait and see" mentality? Let us know when you're putting the soap box away.

EDIT: and I hope Saunders doesn't get the axe. If it's just performance enhancing drugs I don't think it's a cut worthy offense. Also if what is being discussed on twitter carries any weight the NFL REALLY has a screw or two loose. We've known this for a while but :wft

Seriously? The first major news about the Steelers since I join the board is the hiring of Todd Haley. My sincerest apologies to you for utilizing a message board as it is intended.

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
When it rains it pours.

haha

Seriously? The first major news about the Steelers since I join the board is the hiring of Todd Haley. My sincerest apologies to you for utilizing a message board as it is intended.

Message board?!? I thought the entire internet was intended for people to impotently b!tch and complain about stuff...

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2012, 07:56 PM

:D

Snatch98
02-07-2012, 08:40 PM
When it rains it pours.

haha

You've posted about nothing else and apparently have little faith in the Steeler front office and the coaches we currently have in place. Haley would not have been given the job if they thought he was going to be a problem. He's actually a very good Coach and in this instance a very good coach in a dream situation. A beat writer in Kansas City was on 93.7 the fan this afternoon and said that the reports of him being a problem in his experience are off base. He stated he's very laid back AND very good and that he'll be a fantastic fit for the Pittsburgh offense. The Steelers very rarely let us as fans down. Arians was very polarizing. Do you honestly think they're going to miss the mark with his replacement? Ahhhh how about no.

pittpete
02-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Mazze is exactly like Insanesteelersfan without the namecalling
I mean dude every post you make is about Haley.
Ok we know you dont like him,please move on

Oviedo
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM

That is the real tragedy in all of this. There are two TEs rated at near the bottom of Round 1. If I'm the Steelers, I'm looking at that real hard.

D. Johnson is a drive killer either with a terrible block or a dropped pass. I never thought anyone was a worse receiver than Dan Krieder until Johnson showed up. Both show the ability to tackle themselves whenever they receive the ball.

grotonsteel
02-08-2012, 02:07 PM

That is the real tragedy in all of this. There are two TEs rated at near the bottom of Round 1. If I'm the Steelers, I'm looking at that real hard.

D. Johnson is a drive killer either with a terrible block or a dropped pass. I never thought anyone was a worse receiver than Dan Krieder until Johnson showed up. Both show the ability to tackle themselves whenever they receive the ball.

D Johnson is drive killer. Offense would be far better if we had a decent TE instead of this.

I would not mind Steelers drafting a pass-catching TE in Rd 4-5.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
There are two TEs rated at near the bottom of Round 1. If I'm the Steelers, I'm looking at that real hard.

The top TE's in this class, Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener, should both be solid pros, but I can't see up using the 24th overall pick on a TE. Perhaps a Ladarius Green or Michael Egnew in the middle rounds, but not with our first pick.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't want a TE in the 1st, but I would love to see david johnson bumped off the roster.

dead weight.

fezziwig
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm with you guys, D.Johnson does nothing well. I've never seen the value in him or the talent. Oh yeah, Arians prefered him to a fullback that should have been doing D.J job.

Oviedo
02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm with you guys, D.Johnson does nothing well. I've never seen the value in him or the talent. Oh yeah, Arians prefered him to a fullback that should have been doing D.J job.

I think Owen Schmitt is a FA. Or draft Chris Diehl (Clemson) late in the draft. The kid is a beast.

grotonsteel
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM

I think Owen Schmitt is a FA. Or draft Chris Diehl (Clemson) late in the draft. The kid is a beast.

Not a big fan Owen Schmitt but Chris Diehl should be a good choice late in the draft.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 04:16 PM

I thought Johnson would be beloved, since he took over for board whipping boy Carey Davis, but he's not.

I thought Todd Haley would be beloved, since he took over for board whipping boy Arians, but he's not.

:lol:

pittpete
02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
You mean Carey Davis and D. Johnson were different people? :o

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
You mean Carey Davis and D. Johnson were different people? :o

Shaved his dreads...fooled you! :mrgreen:

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Speculation Surrounds Alleged Suspension of Steelers TE Weslye Saunders

by Neal Coolong on Feb 7, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3002002/123296101_extra_large.jpg

It was reported earlier Tuesday that TE Weslye Saunders will be suspended for the first four games of the 2012 season. However, there was no confirmation of whether it was for the league's substance abuse policy (drugs, narcotics, etc.) or the league's steroid and related substances policy (HGH, anabolic steroids, etc.)

There are at least two writers suggesting Saunders' alleged positive test came not from PEDs or drugs, but rather, a therapeutic drug which contained an ingredient on the league's list of banned substances.

The NFL has run into this issue in the past - with a player currently on the Steelers roster.

As Georgia Tech running back Jonathan Dwyer prepared for the draft in 2010, his agent, Robert London, notified every NFL team that his client took Adderall - a medication for attention deficit disorder (ADD) - which is amphetamine salts. London told teams that Dwyer's drug test would come back positive for amphetamines.

Dwyer's test came back positive, as predicted. The league considers it to be a therapeutic exemption though if the player has the proper prescriptions for the medication (as a Schedule II Controlled Substance in the United States, you cannot possess it without a prescription, and that prescription must be hand-written from a doctor).

But instead of concealing the situation or reporting it as such an exemption, the information somehow made its way into the same report as all of the other positive test results - like former USC TE Anthony Davis, who tested positive for marijuana - and was released to the media in the same way.

Dwyer was thought to be as high as a second-round draft pick in 2010. The Steelers drafted him in the sixth round with the 188th pick overall. Perhaps that wasn't just because of the drug test - his weight was certainly a concern at The Combine that year - but the negative attention brought to him by the test result certainly didn't help either.

This is not to suggest that the NFL's anti-drug rules are inappropriate; rather, it is the idea that the league is in the position to potentially and powerfully damage the lives of innocent people. The league should be candidly aware of the amount of media coverage it receives, and with that, it has a responsibility to ensure privacy of those matters to the highest level of its ability. Dwyer and his agent took the appropriate steps to inform the league of the medication he was prescribed, and notified them his drug test would come back positive for amphetamines. The league failed Dwyer, if not from a legal sense, then from an ethical one.

Kaboly and Kovacevic are strongly suggesting that Saunders' case is very similar, if not the same. It's highly unlikely they would go as far as they did if Saunders had tested positive for something illegal. Plus, amphetamines are covered under the league's substance abuse policy, which would mean a suspension would be warranted in the event of a third failed drug test by Saunders.

Perhaps the information regarding his suspension was prematurely released from a veteran reporter (Aaron Wilson) who reported Saunders would be suspended. As we've written, a player can be suspended for four games (the amount of time Wilson reported) for violating the league's substance abuse policy for a third time, or for a first violation of the league's policy on steroids and related substances.

If it's a therapeutic drug, and this is indeed Saunders' third failed drug test (taking Wilson's information as accurate), it suggests a lack of communication between the league and Saunders, or a simple situation where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The substance Saunders allegedly tested positive for won't formally be released to the public - we can only look at the compelling but intentionally vague information from two beat reporters, and situations like Dwyer's for comparison.

All of this suggests there is something boiling under the surface, and perhaps Saunders has something of a battle ahead of him.

Just ask Vikings DT Kevin Williams how far the NFL is willing to go to protect the validity of their drug policies.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... rug-policy (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/7/2782851/steelers-suspension-weslye-saunders-jonathan-dwyer-nfl-drug-policy)

steelblood
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Why do the reporters need to be vague? Who are they protecting? If they have the truth and it exonerates Saunders, why wouldn't they fully report it. This is weird. In that case, the only embarrassed party would be the NFL. And, the reporters have already claimed the NFL is wrong (in a roundabout way).

Slapstick
02-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Perhaps the reporters are choosing not to divulge too much information because they have not been permitted to...

If Saunders takes a therapeutic medication, it isn't anyone's business but his and his doctor's...

If Saunders is innocent of wrongdoing, it is the responsibility of the NFL to make it right, not the beat reporters...

Though, if the NFL upholds the suspension, I would guess that all will be revealed...

steelblood
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Maybe slapstick, but by sort of saying something, the beat writers have taken up the argument and have intimated what they know. If this truly were a privacy issue, they would not be mentioning types of drugs etc.