PDA

View Full Version : **EDIT: Todd Haley has been hired as the OC

costanza2k1
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/thecarm/status/1 ... 9039050752 (https://twitter.com/#!/thecarm/status/166623349039050752)

mark carman @thecarm

Hearing that Todd Haley has been hired as the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator. Official announcement should be coming soon

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Interesting...

costanza2k1
02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
just a heads up that I'm not really into posting rumors but thought you guys would like the share...now we wait

BigRob
02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/thecarm/status/166623349039050752

mark carman @thecarm

Hearing that Todd Haley has been hired as the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator. Official announcement should be coming soon

Who the hell is Mark Carman?

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Who is Mark Carman, by the way?

Perhaps it is actor Mark Harmon...sounds the same (the former UCLA QB who is now starring on NCIS), leaking Pro Football information in response to actor Rob Lowe tweeting about Peyton Manning's premature retirement a few weeks ago. :lol:

costanza2k1
02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
here's his profile info:

Host of Night Shift, Chiefs pregame, reporter, anchor, producer/contributor Whats Wright with Nick Wright 610 Sports Radio. Dominant athlete

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2012, 05:25 PM
here's his profile info:

Host of Night Shift, Chiefs pregame, reporter, anchor, producer/contributor Whats Wright with Nick Wright 610 Sports Radio. Dominant athlete

:lol:

BigRob
here's his profile info:

I'm doubting this for some reason.

costanza2k1
here's his profile info:

:lol:

I know huh, it's his own profile so he can write what he wants lol

costanza2k1
02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
What's really funny is every blogger out there has now picked up no this RUMOR and made it into a story...ah the power of the internet

NJ-STEELER
02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
can he bring fitz with him

Sugar
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
can he bring fitz with him

Good idea- we can give them Sanders and Cotchery for Fitz!!

(Yes, I know it doesn't work that way. A boy can dream can't he?)

steelerkeylargo
02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I am hearing this is correct.

steelblood
02-06-2012, 06:14 PM

How do you fell about it Largo?

costanza2k1
02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
It's confirmed, all bloggers can breathe and not have to delete their articles.

Chris Mortensen @mortreport

As 610AM in KC is correct: Todd Haley is the Steelers new offensive coordinator, sources confirmed.

https://twitter.com/#!/mortreport/statu ... 9240421377 (https://twitter.com/#!/mortreport/status/166642079240421377)

steelerkeylargo
02-06-2012, 06:15 PM

How do you fell about it Largo?

Smart coach....kind of a tool!!!

Dee Dub
02-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I know this may raise a few eyes brows since I am the one who has been pushing the whole "he never played football thing", but I am actually cool with it.

It's like our President. He may not be the one I wanted but now that he is our Commander in Chief, I feel it is my duty as an American to support him. Same with the Steelers.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Was he The Ranter?

NW Steeler
02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I wonder how much input Ben had on this decision.

SidSmythe
02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
I know this may raise a few eyes brows since I am the one who has been pushing the whole "he never played football thing", but I am actually cool with it.

It's like our President. He may not be the one I wanted but now that he is our Commander in Chief, I feel it is my duty as an American to support him. Same with the Steelers.

Awful analogy Dude.

Haley has proven he can run an offense in the NFL.
Obama proved he could run a get out the vote campaign with ACORN :moon

costanza2k1
02-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I wonder how much input Ben had on this decision.

if I had to guess, minimal.

SteelBucks
02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Jason La Canfora (NFL Network) is also confirming that Haley has been offered the job.

Chadman
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Good.

Decision made, now the team can start prepping.

Here's hoping Haley can pinpoint talented blockers- not necessarily 1st round types, but guys that can make his system work.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Awful analogy Dude.

Haley has proven he can run an offense in the NFL.
Obama proved he could run a get out the vote campaign with ACORN :moon

Couldn't help but notice your political comment in the Steeler forum. I'm usually not one to mix like that, but I can't help it - you're right on, dude!

Oh, except maybe for that whacking Bin Ladin thing. And getting us out of these two wars. But except for those two things - :Beer .

Oh, and also saving the auto industry, with loans paid back to taxpayers, resulting in jobs recovered, and profits made. They don't really count, because it was the government that turned things around, right? And turning around that cesspool he inherited that some people call the economy. But let's get some perspective, how important really is that stuff?

And healthcare for poor people - bad idea, right! Think of all the $$ wasted on that that could be going to tax breaks for the wealthy instead!

I TOTALLY get where you're coming from with your :moon and Obama comments right there next to each other. Man, if only McCain could have been elected, that would have been SO much better. That election was so close! I think it came down to just a handful of votes, mainly just the ACORN people, right? :lol:

OK, now can we get back to Steelers? :lol:

(Sorry stanz).

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Todd Haley Is The Steelers Next Offensive Coordinator, According To Reports

By Joel Thorman - NFL Editor

According to reports, the Steelers are expected to name former Chiefs coach Todd Haley their new offensive coordinator.

Feb 6, 2012 - The Pittsburgh Steelers have their new offensive coordinator: Todd Haley. The former Kansas City Chiefs coach is set to be announced as the Steelers new offensive coordinator sometime soon, according to 610 Sports in Kansas City.

Haley, of course, was fired as the Chiefs head coach during the regular season. He held the position for three seasons and prior to that he was the Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator.

Haley may still be known for some of the passing attacks he had in Arizona but he was able to establish the league's No. 1 rushing attack with the Chiefs in a 2010 season that ended in a division title.

The Steelers parted ways with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians after the season.

There were some rumblings that Haley's interview with the Steelers was a courtesy interview, as a nod to Haley's dad, Dick, who spent more than two decades in the Steelers scouting department. Now we know it was no courtesy interview.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/2/6/27 ... oordinator (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/2/6/2776069/todd-haley-pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-coordinator)

mazze
02-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I hate Todd Haley.

I'm going to assume this is just a really early April Fools prank until it's announced by the Steelers.

Sugar
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I hate Todd Haley.

I'm going to assume this is just a really early April Fools prank until it's announced by the Steelers.

Is there a reason you hate the guy? I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the guy, so I'd be interested to know.

mazze
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I hate Todd Haley.

Is there a reason you hate the guy? I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the guy, so I'd be interested to know.

I've just seen him on the sidelines in screaming matches with his players and coaches far too often. When's the last time you saw an NFL head coach get a 15yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct? If this report is true we might just get to see it happen to the Steelers. It also doesn't help that Whiz was calling the plays in AZ. And the only year KC did Anything Weiss was calling the plays.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Chiefs are winning despite Haley

JAN 6, 2011

Letís hope Charlie Weis and the Oakland Raiders derailed the Todd Haley NFL-coach-of-the-year bandwagon.

Haley ó not his Kansas City Chiefs ó is quite possibly the biggest fraud in football.

I say that without malice or pleasure.

Personally, I like Todd Haley. Itís true. Away from a football complex, removed from the overbearing presence of Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli, itís my impression that Haley is a stand-up guy.

Unfortunately, heís a fatally flawed head football coach. Heís insecure, mean-spirited, emotional and irrational. For two years, he has tried to master a Bill Parcells impersonation. Thanks to the Chiefsí surprising rise from four wins to AFC West champion, some people have been fooled into believing Haleyís impersonation is working. I havenít.

The Chiefs are my hometown team. I covered the team at home and on the road for 16 straight years before deciding in August to leave the newspaper industry and split my time between Kansas City and Los Angeles.

The Chiefs are the football team I know the best. They have the wrong head coach. I say that knowing Kansas Cityís ground game and ball security give the Chiefs an excellent shot at making some noise in this yearís playoffs.

If the Chiefs do knock off the Ravens in the first round, the primary credit should go to Pioli.

I say that without malice or pleasure.

Personally, I canít stand Scott Pioli. Itís true. In any environment, Pioli is a low-character, self-absorbed egomaniac in love with the sound of his voice. I call him ďEgoli.Ē I love giving sports figures nicknames. Based on the feedback Iíve received from NFL people, Iíve never come up with a more accurate nickname than Scott Egoli.

My one regret about my leaving KC during this football season was the knowledge Egoli would face little resistance in intimidating, bullying and co-opting the local media. It doesnít take much more than a wink, a nod and a visit to the GMís office for local media types to get very weak in the knees.

Pioli is the son-in-law of Bill Parcells and, from his days in New England, has mastered a Bill Belichick impersonation. And I mean that as a compliment. From his general managerís office, Pioli has re-created some of the New England environment in Kansas City.

When I watch the Chiefs play, I see Pioliís vision and fingerprints everywhere. And I see Haley desperately flailing in an immature attempt to put his stamp on the football team.

Haley spent his first season hamming it up for the TV cameras, yelling and screaming at any player who dared to make the slightest error. This year, he decided he would out-Sean Payton New Orleans coach Sean Payton and stamp himself as the most swashbuckling gambler in the history of professional football. On fourth down, regardless of the situation or common sense, Haley turned down punts, chip-shot field goals and dates with 22-year-old supermodels so he could call a horrible fourth-down play.

It was bad football.

But Haley was sitting on house money.

The NFL blessed the Chiefs with a schedule so easy that the Harlem Globetrotters and Geno Auriemma were said to be jealous. The combined record of KCís 13 opponents was 85-123. In compiling a 10-6 record and claiming the AFCís fourth seed, the Chiefs beat one playoff qualifier, the record-setting 7-9 Seattle Seahawks.

Haley was additionally blessed with Pioliís vision. In building Patriots West, KCís general manager has stocked his roster with the kind of high-character, responsible players other teams talk about acquiring but rarely have the discipline to do so.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots, the Colts and the Falcons, are the anti-Bengals.

In free agency, Pioli nabbed Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. All three are rock-solid, natural leaders. In the 2010 draft, Pioli scooped up a bunch of talented team captains and choir boys (Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki and Kendrick Lewis).

Rather than pollute his locker room with irresponsible millionaires, Pioli has filled his locker room with young people who have a track record of responsibility.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots and the Falcons, play a responsible brand of football. Itís not a coincidence the Patriots (10), the Chiefs (14) and the Falcons (17) led the league in fewest giveaways. Pioli and Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff learned the game working for Belichick.

Iíve yet to mention that Pioli used his Patriots background to help Haley land Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis as Kansas Cityís defensive and offensive coordinators this season. On paper, Kansas Cityís assistant-coaching staff is as good as it gets.

Problem is, Crennel and Weis leave Haley little glory to grab and even less work.

Haley is an ďoffensive guru,Ē the man who bickered with Anquan Boldin, annoyed Kurt Warner and watched Larry Fitzgerald as the Cardinals made an improbable run to the Super Bowl.

Just before the start of his rookie season as Chiefs head coach, Haley fired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Yep, Haley threw away an entire offseason of preparation so he could call plays for quarterback Matt Cassel. That didnít go too well. Cassel stunk last year.

Weis showed up this season and promised to fix Cassel.

Hmmm. Cassel put together a career year and probably deserved a spot on the AFC Pro Bowl team, ahead of Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning. Going into Sundayís season finale, Cassel had thrown for 27 TDs and just five INTs. He was fixed.

Late in the year, game-day TV broadcasters curiously started talking about how closely Haley worked with Cassel this season. If you read between the lines, the message was getting passed that Weis didnít fix Matt Cassel. Haley did. Or maybe it was quarterbacks coach Nick Sirianni.

We do know this: It was Todd Haley who benched Cassel for a series in KCís Week 16 game against the Tennessee Titans. And it was Matt Cassel who was spotted on the sideline screaming at Todd Haley for the benching.

I say this without malice or pleasure: On an NFL sideline, Haley is an attention whore. An insecure one.

Childhood back problems prevented him from excelling as a high school football player. He played golf in college. His dad, Dick Haley, was a legendary personnel man for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Todd is constantly trying to prove he wasnít born sliding into the NFLís home plate. He was, but no one really cares anymore except Todd Haley. He canít let it go.

Self-made football people who worked from the bottom up (Pioli, Weis) bring out Haleyís insecurity. A day or two after the Chiefs hired Weis last January, I wrote a column in the Kansas City Star explaining in significant detail why the Weis-Haley marriage would be short-lived.

Two days before Sundayís Raiders-Chiefs clash, word leaked that Weis was taking his talents to the University of Florida as offensive coordinator.

Itís my belief that Haley left Weis no choice but to leave. Haley is too insecure to work in a professional manner with confident, competent people for an extended time.

I didnít think much of Charlie Weis as a college coach. But thereís no denying the man knows how to design game plans and call plays in the NFL. Heís arguably the best in the business. Haley put handcuffs on Weis with constant interference and game-day stupidity.

For two years, the Chiefs have had the NFLís most explosive running back, Jamaal Charles. Heís better than Chris Johnson. Charles had the misfortune of being drafted by Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards.

Last season, Charles spent half the year underutilized and languishing while Haley fed the ball to washed-up malcontent Larry Johnson. Charles started the second half of the year, rushed for 1,100 yards and averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

This offseason, Pioli and Haley decided Charles wasnít a starter. They acquired Thomas Jones to be the starter. Despite a 3.7-yard average, Jones has carried the ball more and continued to start over Charles, who entered the last game with a chance to be the leagueís leading rusher. His 6.4-yard average is more than a yard better than any of the leagueís other top-20 rushing leaders.

Yeah, I donít blame Weis for getting the hell out of Kansas City.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kans ... aud-010311 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311)

Chavezz
02-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Remember though, he's not the head coach. He a coordinator. If he's acting a fool then I'm sure it's something either Tomlin or the Rooney's will address.

You don't think this was something that was talked about during the interview process?

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I hate Todd Haley.

I've just seen him on the sidelines in screaming matches with his players and coaches far too often. When's the last time you saw an NFL head coach get a 15yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct? If this report is true we might just get to see it happen to the Steelers. It also doesn't help that Whiz was calling the plays in AZ. And the only year KC did Anything Weiss was calling the plays.

Anquan Boldin goes after Cards Off Coordinator Todd Haley

http://youtu.be/9Ghns37TLUY

mazze
02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Remember though, he's not the head coach. He a coordinator. If he's acting a fool then I'm sure it's something either Tomlin or the Rooney's will address.

You don't think this was something that was talked about during the interview process?

He did it as an OC in Arizona too, it isn't exactly new behavior for him. I'm sure it did come up in the interview just as it's come up in every other interview he's had. He didn't suddenly change his spots, it's just a matter of time before he's pulling his same tired act on the sidelines in Heinz Field.

Snatch98
02-06-2012, 07:59 PM

He did it as an OC in Arizona too, it isn't exactly new behavior for him. I'm sure it did come up in the interview just as it's come up in every other interview he's had. He didn't suddenly change his spots, it's just a matter of time before he's pulling his same tired act on the sidelines in Heinz Field.

He won't be pulling that BS with Tomlin and Lebeau on the sideline, not to mention the Rooney's. He's also a Pittsburgh guy and despite no longer being a head coach this has to be a dream scenario for him. I sincerely doubt we're going to see sideline screaming matches. If there is one it's going to be with Ben and after all the crap with the recent scandal I doubt he's going to step out of line himself. The Steelers have a unwritten "best behavior" clause over both individuals if you ask me. Ben coming off a big screw up and Haley surrounded by two very strong minded Coaches, the Rooney's AND his hometown team. They would NOT have hired the guy if they thought he was going to act out on the sideline. Period.

BigRob
02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
This is some funny stuff here.

SI_PeterKing Peter King
Re Haley to Pittsburgh, if he gets the job, which it appears he will, my bad. Got some bad info. No one to blame but me.

pittpete
02-06-2012, 08:07 PM

Dont let one public display of stupidity cloud your judgement.
You dont even know what was said, nor do any of us either.
How do you know it didnt go like this:
Boldin-Yo man, get me the fn ball Todd
Haley-___________
Boldin-Yo Todd man, muthafukin Larry has 9 catches for 152 yards and I got 4
Haley-___________
Boldin-Yo man this is embarrassing, this is nationally televised and crap you douche
Haley-STFU were going to the superbowl you selfish bastard
Im not saying Haley is my choice, but we need to see the guy before the sky starts falling.
At least we wont have to see the 5 reciever set again :wink:

mazze
02-06-2012, 08:08 PM

He won't be pulling that BS with Tomlin and Lebeau on the sideline, not to mention the Rooney's. He's also a Pittsburgh guy and despite no longer being a head coach this has to be a dream scenario for him. I sincerely doubt we're going to see sideline screaming matches. If there is one it's going to be with Ben and after all the crap with the recent scandal I doubt he's going to step out of line himself. The Steelers have a unwritten "best behavior" clause over both individuals if you ask me. Ben coming off a big screw up and Haley surrounded by two very strong minded Coaches, the Rooney's AND his hometown team. They would NOT have hired the guy if they thought he was going to act out on the sideline. Period.

Really?

He's always acted the same way and all of the sudden he's going to become man of the year? If that were remotely true one would think landing a gig as HC would have had a similar effect.

Flasteel
02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't like the hire...for pretty much every sentiment expressed on this board and then some. My only solace is my trust that this organization and our head coach will make the right decisions for the success of the team. They know more than I do and I've never met Haley, so I'll roll with that and wait until he hopefully proves my gut feeling wrong.

Snatch98
02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Really?

He's always acted the same way and all of the sudden he's going to become man of the year? If that were remotely true one would think landing a gig as HC would have had a similar effect.

He's also never been under a family like the Rooney's or with two coaches like Tomlin and Lebeau. He wouldn't have got the job if anyone in the front office thought it would be an issue. Period. You're over reacting.

mazze
02-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Dont let one public display of stupidity cloud your judgement.
You dont even know what was said, nor do any of us either.
How do you know it didnt go like this:
Boldin-Yo man, get me the fn ball Todd
Haley-___________
Boldin-Yo Todd man, muthafukin Larry has 9 catches for 152 yards and I got 4
Haley-___________
Boldin-Yo man this is embarrassing, this is nationally televised and crap you douche
Haley-STFU were going to the superbowl you selfish bastard
Im not saying Haley is my choice, but we need to see the guy before the sky starts falling.
At least we wont have to see the 5 reciever set again :wink:

I'm beginning to think some of you are delusional. It's not an isolated incident with him as he's acted the same way everywhere he goes. Regarding the 5 receiver set, he uses it as much if not more than Arians.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I like the hire.

at this point in his career, I feel that ben needs a kick in the azz instead of a pat on the back.

time will tell.

Slapstick
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Todd Haley took over the playcalling duties from Whisenhunt during the Cards' Super Bowl season. LeBeau was pretty much a failure at HC and he seems to do a pretty good job at DC. Also, Haley and Whis are close system-wise, so Ben and the O will be fine.

Snatch98
02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
I like the hire.

at this point in his career, I feel that ben needs a kick in the azz instead of a pat on the back.

time will tell.

Same. I'm still trying to figure out why some continue to doubt this organization. Sure we've had our trials and tribulations as Steeler fans but when it all boils down the Steelers don't let us as Fans down often and when they do they provide an answer. Haley is going to be a good fit for this team. I really like the hire.

pittpete
02-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Regarding the 5 receiver set, he uses it as much if not more than Arians.

Honest question, please show me proof where Haley while as OC has consistently used 5 WR sets.

Insanesteelerfan are you back in disguise?

Iron Shiek
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Gotta support the team's decision now folks. Lets give him time to show what he's got in store for our offense. Geez, i feel like i just typed something like this about our head coach hiring like it was last week.

pick6
02-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Good.

Decision made, now the team can start prepping.

Here's hoping Haley can pinpoint talented blockers- not necessarily 1st round types, but guys that can make his system work.

Dead on post.

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
While Haley wasn't my personal preference because of the douche factor, I trust that an informed, thorough decision was made, and I look forward to seeing the results at this point. After all, when Zeirlein was underperforming, Tomlin replaced him with Kuglar, and our o-line improved. When Ligashesky was underperforming, Tomlin replaced him with Everest, and our special teams improved. When Horton left to become the D.C. in Arizona (I think we can all now agree that our DB's were underperforming under his watch), Tomlin replaced him with Lake, and our secondary improved. When Arians was underperforming, Tomlin replaced him with Haley, and now we get to see how much our offense improves.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2012, 12:41 AM
I am happy with the hiring and glad we can get on with the offseason. This will be one of the most interesting Steelers offseasons I can remember for a while.

mazze
02-07-2012, 12:47 AM

Honest question, please show me proof where Haley while as OC has consistently used 5 WR sets.

Go back and watch the SB again, it's full of 4 and 5 wr sets. I know people think he's going to bring back the power running game, but his record shows somethihg different. He had a 62%-38% run to pass ratio in 07 and 66%-34% ratio in 2008. He actually throws the ball more than Arians.

sd steel
02-07-2012, 01:48 AM

Go back and watch the SB again, it's full of 4 and 5 wr sets. I know people think he's going to bring back the power running game, but his record shows somethihg different. He had a 62%-38% run to pass ratio in 07 and 66%-34% ratio in 2008. He actually throws the ball more than Arians.

He is the OC. It will be dictated to him by Tomlin and Rooney what they want out run to pass ratio to look like, instead of letting Ben dictate it. I'm excited to see Ben improve and this offense take off with Haley.

Chadman
02-07-2012, 02:02 AM

Are we conveniently forgetting the success of the Chiefs running game during Haley's tenure?

Well, at least we know that there will be at least one good topic of conversation brought up every couple of days from here on out- the "Fire Haley" topic line should start up in 3....2.....1....

mazze
02-07-2012, 02:35 AM

Are we conveniently forgetting the success of the Chiefs running game during Haley's tenure?

Well, at least we know that there will be at least one good topic of conversation brought up every couple of days from here on out- the "Fire Haley" topic line should start up in 3....2.....1....

Not at all, but the only great year they had Weiss was the OC. THey also have a RB that's significantly better than anyone we've had in several years. In 2009 they avg all of 7-8 more yards a game than the Steelers and in 2011 they were actually worse. Granted they had major injury issues this year, but you're making him out to be something he's not.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-07-2012, 05:36 AM
While Haley wasn't my personal preference because of the douche factor, I trust that an informed, thorough decision was made, and I look forward to seeing the results at this point. After all, when Zeirlein was underperforming, Tomlin replaced him with Kuglar, and our o-line improved. When Ligashesky was underperforming, Tomlin replaced him with Everest, and our special teams improved. When Horton left to become the D.C. in Arizona (I think we can all now agree that our DB's were underperforming under his watch), Tomlin replaced him with Lake, and our secondary improved. When Arians was underperforming, Tomlin replaced him with Haley, and now we get to see how much our offense improves.

Excellent points. One of the disadvantages of hiring a first time coach is he doesn't have a lot of experience scouting assistants. Tomlin did not put together a great staff initially but he is getting better at this. I have to believe the Rooneys are "advising" or at least "helping" him a bit on this second round of hirings.

flippy
02-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Welcome Coach Comet.

Steelerphile
02-07-2012, 07:10 AM

Excellent points. One of the disadvantages of hiring a first time coach is he doesn't have a lot of experience scouting assistants. Tomlin did not put together a great staff initially but he is getting better at this. I have to believe the Rooneys are "advising" or at least "helping" him a bit on this second round of hirings.

I doubt the Rooneys are advising Tomlin on which coaches to hire. Rooney takes an opportunity to say he doesn't like a particular facet of the team, but I doubt he feels that he knows the coaching talent around the league well enough to direct which ones to hire.

steelblood
02-07-2012, 08:50 AM
What is this "go back and watch the Super Bowl crap"? Of course he used 4 WR sets. Our DBs were the weakest part of our defense. What was he supposed to do, come out with 3 TEs and try to run against the 2008 Steelers? That would have been stupid and I wouldn't want that coordinator.

mazze
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
What is this "go back and watch the Super Bowl crap"? Of course he used 4 WR sets. Our DBs were the weakest part of our defense. What was he supposed to do, come out with 3 TEs and try to run against the 2008 Steelers? That would have been stupid and I wouldn't want that coordinator.

It's an easy point of reference. If you need further evidence 3 1,000 yard receivers and a running game that averaged less than 80 YPG should be enough.

Slapstick
02-07-2012, 09:41 AM
It's an easy point of reference. If you need further evidence 3 1,000 yard receivers and a running game that averaged less than 80 YPG should be enough.

And you know, I was thinking...

It's too bad that the Cardinals didn't try to run the ball more in that SB...they totally would have won... :lol:

phillyesq
02-07-2012, 09:51 AM

I generally agree, Ruthless. He wasn't my first choice as OC because of his personality, which adds a degree of risk to this hire. However, I trust the Steelers FO. They've made mistakes before, but if Haley doesn't work out, they can look at Wilson or Fitchner down the road if they are still around. With the Giants, we saw how an in-your-face coach could win the SB (his second), so there is no reason to think that Haley can't lead the offense where it needs to go.

pittpete
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
go back and watch the Super Bowl

1 game does not prove that Haley consistently uses 5 WR sets
Everyone knew the way to try and beat the Steelers defense was to spread them out and throw.
You said
3 1000 yd recievers is also not proof that he used 5 WR sets.
When people talk out of thier @ss I like to see evidence backing it up. :wink:

phillyesq
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM

I think the offenses that he's been involved with have been tailored to the personnel that he has.

In Arizona, they had very good receivers and a rejuvenated Kurt Warner. At RB, they had a broken down Edgerrin James. Spreading it out and throwning the ball made sense with those personnel.

In KC, despite a big money QB and one pretty decent WR, they pounded the ball because they had a solid stable of backs, including an explosive Jamaal Charles.

In Pittsburgh, I'm expecting to see a more balanced offense from Haley.

pittpete
02-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I think the offenses that he's been involved with have been tailored to the personnel that he has.

Right on the FN $$$$$$$$$$
Exactly what Arians couldn't and wouldn't do.
Use the personnel you have to get the most out of your players.
Dont try to :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Oviedo
02-07-2012, 10:03 AM

In Arizona, they had very good receivers and a rejuvenated Kurt Warner. At RB, they had a broken down Edgerrin James. Spreading it out and throwning the ball made sense with those personnel.

In KC, despite a big money QB and one pretty decent WR, they pounded the ball because they had a solid stable of backs, including an explosive Jamaal Charles.

In Pittsburgh, I'm expecting to see a more balanced offense from Haley.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think Haley has shown he adjusts to the tools that he has. My only concern is the personality issue and any conflict with Ben. Hopefully he has the self discipline to control that.

Oviedo
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Dont try to :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

One could argue that Arians did adjust to the talent we had which is why we passed more. Our strength on offense is at the WR psotion not the RB position. Arians problem was the style of passing attack we had. You can't have a vertical attack which requires time for routes to develop when your OL stinks.

mazze
02-07-2012, 10:30 AM

We've got 3 very good wr's, a very good te, franchise qb, and two average rb's. Passing is our strength.

ikestops85
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I am not happy with the selection. :(

But what the hell do I know :lol:

williar
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm happy with it. To me, it was somewhat of a radical move that spoke volumes of how the FO really felt about the direction our offense was taking. I'm happy because ownership is taking control of their team and doing what is best for the team. Saying no, Ben, your not running things......... :Clap :Clap :Clap

phillyesq
02-07-2012, 12:33 PM

We've got 3 very good wr's, a very good te, franchise qb, and two average rb's. Passing is our strength.

As Ovi mentioned, long developing pass plays are not the strength of this offense due to the porous offensive line.

Ben is at his best when there is a balanced offense. Look at how the running game in 2005 opened things up for Ben in the passing game.

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM

:Agree

grotonsteel
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM

I hope they remove that stupid 3 TE set and go with 3-4 WR set more frequently.

And i am happy he won't run the ball for the sake of it. Steelers strength is their QB and passing game. It should be pass first mentality with this offense. Get some O-linemen who can pass-block.

feltdizz
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Is running the ball for the sake of it anytime a run doesn't get 5 yards? Just want to be clear what running for the sake of it means so for Haley's sake. :stirpot

Oviedo
02-07-2012, 02:00 PM

I hope they remove that stupid 3 TE set and go with 3-4 WR set more frequently.

And i am happy he won't run the ball for the sake of it. Steelers strength is their QB and passing game. It should be pass first mentality with this offense. Get some O-linemen who can pass-block.

With Saunders getting in trouble, we may have a real depth issue at the TE position since Johnson is pretty worthless. Three TEs will likely be impossible to get on the field.

hawaiiansteel
02-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Offensive coordinator Haley's abrasive style doesn't deter Steelers

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 8, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-07/0208HaleyMAINAP-a.jpg

There is a method to Todd Haley's perceived madness, and looking beyond the fits of anger to which he is prone is the key to understanding the new Steelers' offensive coordinator.

That is the message Kurt Warner has for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who had flourished under Bruce Arians and developed a close relationship with the Steelers' former offensive coordinator.

"You have to welcome people that come along that aren't willing to be status quo, and that's what I would tell Ben or any of the (Steelers') players," said Warner, the former NFL quarterback who resurrected his career in Arizona while Haley was the offensive coordinator there. "Everybody sees the outburst on the sidelines and hears about some of those things, and they get scared away by that persona.

"All I would tell those guys is, you always have to figure out where a coach is coming from before you can read too much into certain characteristics or certain antics that they have."

The Steelers left little doubt they were trying to shake things up when they officially hired Haley on Tuesday.

Haley, who returns to the organization for which he once served as a ball boy, is strong-willed and fiercely competitive, and he can be confrontational.

The coaching style that has been described as abrasive is something that could put Haley on a collision course with Roethlisberger.

"I know all the reports and talks about how outspoken he is, and for me I'm a guy that believes as long as those things aren't personal I welcome opportunities for people to challenge me to be better, and that's what Todd's about," said Warner, who is an analyst for NFL Network. "I'm OK with a guy seeing me not play my best and get on me for it, no matter how much success I've had and what I've accomplished."

Haley has built a reputation for having a keen offensive mind and an ability to adapt to his personnel. He also clashed with players he became close with, such as Warner, because is so demanding.

He inherits an offense that struggled with efficiency last season ó the Steelers were tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 points per game) ó despite having a 4,000-yard passer (Roethlisberger) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown).

"He's a coach that's not afraid to challenge guys," Warner said, "regardless of where you stand in the hierarchy, how long you've been there, what your contract is, what kind of success you've had."

Warner nearly led the Cardinals to an upset of the Steelers in the Super Bowl XLIII, and Arizona's success that season led to Haley's hiring in 2009 as Kansas City's head coach.

Haley was fired after a little less than three seasons with the Chiefs, but as landing spots go it probably doesn't get much better for Haley than Pittsburgh.

He graduated from Upper St. Clair High School, and his father, Dick, helped build teams that won four Super Bowls in the 1970s as the Steelers' director of player personnel.

"I am excited about the opportunity to come back home and work for a tremendous organization," Haley said in a statement released by the Steelers. "My father has so many fond memories both from his playing days and his time in the personnel department with the team, and I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh."

HALEY'S RESUME

Todd Haley will work for his sixth NFL franchise after joining the Steelers on Tuesday as the team's new offensive coordinator. Here are his other NFL stops:

Years: Position

2009-11: Kansas City Chiefs' coach

2007-09: Arizona Cardinals' offensive coordinator

2004-06: Dallas Cowboys' wide receivers coach/passing game coordinator

2001-03: Chicago Bears' wide receivers coach

1997-2000: New York Jets' offensive assistant/wide receivers coach

1995-96: New York Jets' scouting assistant

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1llVWBPVD (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780546.html#ixzz1llVWBPVD)

NJ-STEELER
02-08-2012, 02:38 AM

yeah, we saw enuff of that out of cowher

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I know all the reports and talks about how outspoken he is, and for me I'm a guy that believes as long as those things aren't personal I welcome opportunities for people to challenge me to be better, and that's what Todd's about," said Warner, who is an analyst for NFL Network. "I'm OK with a guy seeing me not play my best and get on me for it, no matter how much success I've had and what I've accomplished."

Haley has built a reputation for having a keen offensive mind and an ability to adapt to his personnel. He also clashed with players he became close with, such as Warner, because is so demanding.

He inherits an offense that struggled with efficiency last season ó the Steelers were tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 points per game) ó despite having a 4,000-yard passer (Roethlisberger) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown).

"He's a coach that's not afraid to challenge guys," Warner said, "regardless of where you stand in the hierarchy, how long you've been there, what your contract is, what kind of success you've had."

All of this sounds like he is everything that Arians was not.

Keyplay1
02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Adding someone with all that experience to the Steeler organization seems like a real plus. And as RB reminds us Tomlin's last 3 hire were all very good ones.