PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley?? Ehh....I'm not against it!!!

AkronSteel
02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
I haven't been on much lately, so I haven't had much time to speak on the OC search. From what I have read, it looks like Haley is the front runner for the position. I think it could be a good thing. He built a nice offense in Arizona around Kurt Warner and that organization actually went to the flippin Super Bowl. Then he took the Chiefs to the playoffs after 2 seasons with limited talent and after they have a season where almost every single play maker on the offensive side of the ball is hurt....they fire him??? Hmmm....something about that isn't right. I think the guy could be exactly what we need. Someone that is fiery and will not take Ben's crap and just be his buddy. Haley will actually be a coach to #7 and from my prospective that is what is needed to take him to the next level. Haley will run a balanced attack and likes using spread formations as well. He did a nice job of that with Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston in Arizona. He ran the ball a lot with Jamaal Charles in KC. I think he would be a good addition, and could help take the Steelers offense to levels that we have yet to see. Wouldn't it be wonderful to one day see a Steeler team that actually resembles on offensive juggernaut??? A man can dream right??

:2c

steelblood
02-06-2012, 03:49 PM
With Haley there are negatives. He is a hot head. His lack of football experience also may not sit well with some players. I think he can help this team IF he can control his ego and humble himself a bit.

Steelgal
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
With Haley there are negatives. He is a hot head. His lack of football experience also may not sit well with some players. I think he can help this team IF he can control his ego and humble himself a bit.

If getting fired mid-season as a head coach doesn't humble him, not much else will......

Still not sure I'm sold on him as an OC though, atleast the Steeler's Oc.

steelblood
02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I don't know. coaches are fired all the time.

Sugar
02-06-2012, 05:55 PM
If he's the guy, I'll be interested to see how he works with Ben. Many have talked about his ascerbic personality. Others have said that he will make Ben fall in line. I find that laughable. Ben is the man here, not some newby OC.

Hopefully, he (or whoever gets the gig) will be able to establish a chemistry with Ben quickly, earn his trust and sell him on his vision. If not, we'll have a long couple of years.

fezziwig
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't think Ben needs to fall in line and you do have to give Ben props for his accomplishments. However, if true that Ben was running Arians and they were too buddy buddy then, Haley might be the force that Ben needs.
Nice to trust your QB and give him the respect but, the QB needs to give the same back to his coach.

Shawn
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
He has had much success at multiple levels. Obviously, what he does works. If we go with Haley I'm very cool with it.

Sugar
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
He has had much success at multiple levels. Obviously, what he does works. If we go with Haley I'm very cool with it.

:Agree

We have a good FO that gets it right more often then most.

Snatch98
02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
If he's the guy, I'll be interested to see how he works with Ben. Many have talked about his ascerbic personality. Others have said that he will make Ben fall in line. I find that laughable. Ben is the man here, not some newby OC.

Hopefully, he (or whoever gets the gig) will be able to establish a chemistry with Ben quickly, earn his trust and sell him on his vision. If not, we'll have a long couple of years.

The Rooney's are the "man" in Pittsburgh and they showed that by eliminating the Arians card. We officially have a no BS coaching staff now. Arians and the Ben pandering is gone. Add in the recent scandal Ben just escaped and I don't see Ben "acting out" just like I don't see Haley acting out.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Source: Former Chiefs coach to be Steelers' next offensive coordinator

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 6, 2012

Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair High graduate with extensive NFL coaching experience, will become the Steelers' next offensive coordinator, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review today.

Haley interviewed with the Steelers last Tuesday, and he plans to take the job that came open when Bruce Arians' contract was not renewed by the team. Arians, who has since become the Indianapolis Colts' offensive coordinator, had directed the Steelers' offense since 2007, Mike Tomlin's first season as head coach.

Haley's hiring was first reported by 610 AM in Kansas City and also reported by ESPN and The NFL Network.

Haley had been the head coach for the Kansas City Chiefs for two-plus seasons going 19-26 and winning one AFC West title. Kansas City fired Haley in December, roughly two weeks after the Steelers beat the Chiefs, 13-9, in Kansas City.

"Happy for him, he's a Pittsburgh guy his dad coached there now he's at that same place," Chiefs wide receiver and former Pitt star Jon Baldwin wrote on his Twitter account. "Right back at home (good) stuff for him."

The Chiefs were 27th in total offense last season (310.8 yards per game) but were wracked by injuries. They were 15th in rushing (118.3 yards per game) despite losing Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles at the beginning of the season to a knee injury.

Haley, 44, is the son of D!ck Haley, the former Steelers' director of player personnel who helped build the championship teams of the 1970s.

Haley had been an NFL assistant coach for 10 seasons before taking the head job in Kansas City in 2009.

Haley served as an offensive coordinator in Arizona for two seasons under former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. He helped lead the Cardinals to their only Super Bowl and a near upset of the Steelers in 2008.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1leF7iP99 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780290.html#ixzz1leF7iP99)

Sugar
02-06-2012, 10:19 PM

The Rooney's are the "man" in Pittsburgh and they showed that by eliminating the Arians card. We officially have a no BS coaching staff now. Arians and the Ben pandering is gone. Add in the recent scandal Ben just escaped and I don't see Ben "acting out" just like I don't see Haley acting out.

The Rooneys also know where their bread is buttered. I don't think Ben would act out anyway, but if his production suffers under Haley and they aren't winning any more then one would think that there will be problems. To my knowledge, Ben has never been one to act out on the team. Heck, he's praised that substandard O-line for how long now? With Hines on the way out, he's the veteran presence on the the O and will carry a lot of influence in the locker room. Tomlin understands the value of influence and hopefully Haley will as well.

NorthCoast
02-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Having a father who worked a long time in a respected organization I think would cause Haley to respect the organization to the point that behavior wont be an issue. I dont foresee any problems with Haley 'acting out'. Do you guys really believe the Steelers staff would just overlook these things or not have factored them into their decision? Sad you think so little of them after all these years.
I think this hire was done with purpose and intent. We have a lot of young guys on offense plus one with an ego. Haley is the man to get in some faces in order to change their play. I am happy with this move.

BDESteel
02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I haven't been on much lately, so I haven't had much time to speak on the OC search. From what I have read, it looks like Haley is the front runner for the position. I think it could be a good thing. He built a nice offense in Arizona around Kurt Warner and that organization actually went to the flippin Super Bowl. Then he took the Chiefs to the playoffs after 2 seasons with limited talent and after they have a season where almost every single play maker on the offensive side of the ball is hurt....they fire him??? Hmmm....something about that isn't right. I think the guy could be exactly what we need. Someone that is fiery and will not take Ben's crap and just be his buddy. Haley will actually be a coach to #7 and from my prospective that is what is needed to take him to the next level. Haley will run a balanced attack and likes using spread formations as well. He did a nice job of that with Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston in Arizona. He ran the ball a lot with Jamaal Charles in KC. I think he would be a good addition, and could help take the Steelers offense to levels that we have yet to see. Wouldn't it be wonderful to one day see a Steeler team that actually resembles on offensive juggernaut??? A man can dream right??

:2c
I agree with you 100% I texted my homie all the same points as you did about what Haley will bring to this team.

I wanted Haley first and Jackson as the second choice. I believe Haley will also keep Tomlin on his toes. If Haley starts to become too abrasive, Tomlin will be responsible in keeping him in check. Ultimately that makes everyone better. Can you really be to abrasive in the NFL?????

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Former Chiefs head coach Haley hired to lead Steelers offense

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 7, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-06/0207HaleyInsideAP-b.jpg

A one-time Steelers ball boy is poised to take the reins of an offense that had trouble finishing drives last season.

Todd Haley, who grew up around the organization that his father helped build into a dynasty, will become the Steelers' offensive coordinator, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review on Monday.

The Steelers' plans to hire Haley, first reported by KCSP-AM in Kansas City as well as by ESPN and NFL Network, come after he interviewed with the team one week ago Tuesday.

Haley, 44, will take over for Bruce Arians, whose contract was not renewed following a season in which the Steelers were 12th in total offense (372.3 yards per game) but tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 points).

Haley was the head coach in Kansas City for two-plus seasons, going 19-26 and winning one AFC West title. The Chiefs fired Haley in December, two weeks after the Steelers beat them, 13-9, in Kansas City.

"Happy for him he's a Pittsburgh guy, his dad coached there, (and) now he's at that same place," Chiefs wide receiver and former Pitt star Jon Baldwin wrote on his Twitter account. "Right back at home; (good) stuff for him."

The Steelers will become the sixth NFL organization for which Haley has worked, and Pittsburgh is indeed home.

Haley graduated from Upper St. Clair, though he starred on the school's golf team and did not play football. He spent several summers as a Steelers ball boy, and his father, Dick, played a pivotal role in helping transform the organization from a punch line into a perennial champion.

As the Steelers' director of player personnel from 1971-1990, Dick Haley helped put together the teams that won four Super Bowls in the 1970s.

Todd Haley got his NFL start with the New York Jets in the team's scouting department. He coached wide receivers for the Jets, Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys and served two seasons as the offensive coordinator in Arizona under Ken Whisenhunt, a former Steelers' offensive coordinator.

Haley helped the Cardinals advance to their only Super Bowl in 2008 as well as a near upset of the Steelers in Tampa, Fla. and Kansas City hired him following the season.

Haley led the Chiefs to a surprising division title in his second season as head coach, but he reportedly clashed with general manager Scott Pioli and the organization fired him after 13 games in 2011.

The Chiefs, 5-8 when Haley was let go, finished 27th last season in total offense but were wracked by injuries.

Haley becomes the first coordinator Mike Tomlin has hired since assembling his original coaching staff in 2007. Tomlin had wanted Arians to return and the latter expected to come back, but the Steelers announced Arians' retirement on Jan. 20. Arians was hired as the Indianapolis Colts' offensive coordinator.

In hiring Haley, the Steelers went against a recent trend. Their previous three offensive coordinators, including Whisenhunt, had been promoted from within the organization.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1lfYFn3jX (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780325.html#ixzz1lfYFn3jX)