PDA

View Full Version : NEW Prevent Defense. Think back to Ravens game.

Doogie36
02-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I am blown away from what I saw in last nights SuperBowl. It wasnt the Safety Brady took and it wasnt the FREE touchdown given by the PATS. It was what I saw happen with 17 seconds left on the clock that has me thinking WHY HANST this happened before and why in the heck didnt the STEELER do it against the Ravens?

17 seconds left the Patirots have 0 timeout's remaining and at about MIDFIELD. Only thing really to do is to chuck a deep pass somewhere in hopes you can run up and spike it or hope your WR goes out of bounds. What did the GIANTS do that is by far the smartest thing i've seen in a long time. They ran 12 men onto the field stopped the PATS and ran off 8 seconds off the clock! The PATS get a FREE 5 yard penalty but those 8 precious seconds are GONE! VANISHED! It had me thinking all night last night!!! WHy in the heck dont teams just do this for prevent D? Let other teams run precious time off the clock and give them the free 5 yard penalty? Sure a game can't end on a defensive penalty but up till the last play of the game what will 5 yards do for a team who has to travel 80 to win a game? I'd play with 14-15 men on the field and be like opps..........I'd run off the extra guys and run back on more and pretend i dont have a clue on how many guys are suppose to be on the field.

I'm absolutely SHOCKED the NFL has not figured out that this could be huge problems if the only penalty is 5 yards. What should happen is you get the 5 yard penalty and the time back on the clock.

If an average fan can figure out this flaw i'm sure others have figured it out! It shoudl be addressed immediately.

I'm sure Coughlin countered the FREE TD with this 12 men on the field trick!!! SMART SMART SMART!!!!

But what if the Steelers did that during the Ravens last drive? Man how things could have been different!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Great points, doogie.

I wonder if the refs missed a rule, and that time SHOULD have been run off. Otherwise, brilliant (if planned that way; and if not, no one's the wiser!).

flippy
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
The timing just happened to work out to the Giant's benefit. But if they do that on the first play of the drive, they effectively give the Pats 5 yards + a timeout. So you'd have to be selective about how and when you took this penalty so you don't give away free timeouts.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I thought it was genius as well...

but you need a long field and the other team needing a TD to do it.

Steelgal
02-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and Golic mentioned it. He said when he played for the Eagles and Buddy Ryan, they did this once. Didn't hear the exact situation that it occurred in, but he said they intentionally had too many men on the field to draw the penalty and waste time from the clock. I'm guessing the rule might get looked at in the off-season, because it is a nice loop-hole as it stands now.

brothervad
02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
If I were a betting man...I would wager that this will be a rule change in the competition committee next year.

Could be a flavor of it, within the final two minutes no time is run off the clock for too many men on the field.

Or maybe it becomes a dead ball foul and they drop the flags and blow the play dead immediately.

Regardless, it will change I bet.

brothervad

Sugar
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
My father-in-law and I talked about this last night. Brilliant!!!

NJ-STEELER
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
they'll def fix the loop hole

but... the 5 yd penalty did get him closer to be able to throw it in the end zone

snarky
02-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Something like this actually happened in a hockey game a few years back. A team was winning in the last minute of the game but the other team had a 5-3 disadvantage and also pulled their goalie. Since the rules stipulate that no matter how many penalties you have, you can only be short-handed by two men, the coach of the team that was winning kept sending an 'extra' guy out onto the ice (though why he didn't send two or three I'll never understand). During the off-season the rules were changed to address intentionally putting too many men on the ice.