PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed by Giants offense...

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Up 9-0 and in total control of the clock with 15 more offensive plays... and still down 10-9 at halftime. That looked like the old school Steeler football we hated.

The only thing I want from that offense is a FB and Ben to dump it off more often.

Everything else they can keep...

If we barely beat the Pats (I know we would be happy to win the SB) but I think we would call that game plan pathetic given the "talent" on the roster.

Congrats to the Giants but if that's what we want our O to look like we will be 7-7 or 9-7 and need to catch fire every time. I'm pretty sure 9-7 would have us on the couch in the AFC or have us screaming about how horrible our coordinators are.

steelblood
02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
A few drives fizzled for the Giants because they were penalized on some very questionable calls. Otherwise, they would have had 6 or 10 more points in that first half.

Also, the Giants balanced attack and ability to ball control offense kept Tom Brady off the field (which is part of the formula for beating the Pats).

Finally, the giants were 9-7 largely because they were very banged up in the first half of the year (especially on the defensive side, in particular the secondary). At the end of the season they beat the Falcons, Packers (on the road), 49ers (on the road), and Pats in succession. That is very impressive. Yes, they were lucky to sneak into the playoffs. But, for the past two months the Giants have proven to be the best team in football (and that is all that matters).

grotonsteel
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
So Giants barely scores points against SF and NE but Giants offense is considered great where as Steelers Offense gets the boot???

Maybe Pats owner might ask Tom Brady to tweek his game since its not generating points. :stirpot

I hope ARII realize its the Defense which let him down in playoffs and it looks like even after spending so much money on the D he will have to invest high draft picks on Defense.

About time ARII balance the budget. Get O-line either in draft or FA.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
A few drives fizzled for the Giants because they were penalized on some very questionable calls. Otherwise, they would have had 6 or 10 more points in that first half.

Also, the Giants balanced attack and ability to ball control offense kept Tom Brady off the field (which is part of the formula for beating the Pats).

Finally, the giants were 9-7 largely because they were very banged up in the first half of the year (especially on the defensive side, in particular the secondary). At the end of the season they beat the Falcons, Packers (on the road), 49ers (on the road), and Pats in succession. That is very impressive. Yes, they were lucky to sneak into the playoffs. But, for the past two months the Giants have proven to be the best team in football (and that is all that matters).

I know that's all that matters to most fans... but some want a season of production to go along with the playoffs. Playoffs are all about momentum and our ugly offense had a tendency to show up in the playoffs when it mattered most.

The problem I have with the ball control offense is a few questionable calls, drives fizzle and boom down 10-9. I understand not wanting to get in a shootout but I think most fans who hated our offense would hate to see our O dominate and be down 10-9 at the half.

I'm not knocking the Giants success but I think if we become a ball control team who is one play away from winning or losing most people will be unhappy.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
So Giants barely scores points against SF and NE but Giants offense is considered great where as Steelers Offense gets the boot???

Maybe Pats owner might ask Tom Brady to tweek his game since its not generating points. :stirpot

I hope ARII realize its the Defense which let him down in playoffs and it looks like even after spending so much money on the D he will have to invest high draft picks on Defense.

About time ARII balance the budget. Get O-line either in draft or FA.

thank you... this is what I'm trying to get at.... how is this Giants offense being used as a blue print?

I disagree on the D though... we invested enough. The Denver game wasn't the norm. That was a once in a lifetime meltdown. It happens... but moving forward I think we need to invest in our OL big time.

Our D is so much better than our O it doesn't make sense to keep giving them top draft picks. Go offense early and go D later IMO unless there is something special we can't pass up.

Oviedo
02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
The Giants were there and they won! What else matter, no complaints from me.

Wish it had been us, but we were too busy letting Tebow look like Phil Rivers.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 11:56 AM

I'm talking about from an OC/offensive philosophy. Some think we need to be like the Giants but I think we already are and most people loath that style of offense.

Oviedo
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM

I'm talking about from an OC/offensive philosophy. Some think we need to be like the Giants but I think we already are and most people loath that style of offense.

I have no problem playing offense like the Giants.

grotonsteel
02-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Whats the difference between Giants and Steelers?? Giants Defense came out to play and Steelers defense was MIA.

Steelers offense is far better than giants offense.

Oviedo
02-06-2012, 12:08 PM

Whats the difference between Giants and Steelers?? Giants Defense came out to play and Steelers defense was MIA.

:Agree But remember we don't criticize the defense because they are ranked #1 so it must be the fault of our offense.

grotonsteel
02-06-2012, 12:14 PM

:Agree But remember we don't criticize the defense because they are ranked #1 so it must be the fault of our offense.

:Agree

And the worst part is Steelers will most likely spend high draft picks on ILB and DT and ignore the O-line again.

But Steelers fans will keep blaming the offense.

steelz09
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
The g-men have some good receivers but I still think the Steelers have the overall edge.

Manning played a very good game. I'm not an Eli fan but he didn't turn the ball over. That was huge. He took what the defense gave him and didn't really force anything.

Slapstick
02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Here's how I want the Steelers to emulate the Giants' offense:

Steelers 21st in points scored

Giants 9th in points scored

That extra four points per game would have made the difference in the second Baltimore game (though the D gave up that last drive...if the Steelers had 24 points on the board instead of 20, the Ratbirds would have been forced to convert a 2pt in order to force OT)...

Also, being up 27-23 vs. Denver would have won the game...

If the offense is simply more efficient, then the occasional defensive breakdowns don't appear to be so glaring...

aggiebones
02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Why complain? They won and deserved it for sure.
Their front seven played better than ours did late, mostly due to our injury problems with Smith, Hampton, Keisel and Woodley.

Other than that, we are similarly built. QB that does what he can to win, very good WRs and a team usually willing to run the ball. Good defenses that keep points off the board when healthy. Even in bad years, they both seem to be able to make a run at it.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Why complain? They won and deserved it for sure.
Their front seven played better than ours did late, mostly due to our injury problems with Smith, Hampton, Keisel and Woodley.

Other than that, we are similarly built. QB that does what he can to win, very good WRs and a team usually willing to run the ball. Good defenses that keep points off the board when healthy. Even in bad years, they both seem to be able to make a run at it.

and so do we.... 2 SB's in 3 years... but we complained all day about the offense.

All I'm saying is we are almost identical to the Giants and people hated our offense. Do we really want to be like the Giants on offense or do we want their SB victory?

Put it this way... if Welker caught that pass and the Giants lost would we talk about how great the Giants offense was last night.

Not taking anything away from the Giants victory, just wondering if we really want our O to be like the Giants.

steelblood
02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Here's how I want the Steelers to emulate the Giants' offense:

Steelers 21st in points scored

Giants 9th in points scored

That extra four points per game would have made the difference in the second Baltimore game (though the D gave up that last drive...if the Steelers had 24 points on the board instead of 20, the Ratbirds would have been forced to convert a 2pt in order to force OT)...

Also, being up 27-23 vs. Denver would have won the game...

If the offense is simply more efficient, then the occasional defensive breakdowns don't appear to be so glaring...

What this guy said! Absolutely. It is all about points.