PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Towel edict question

fordfixer
02-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm Getting a new chair, this chair does not come with arm covers. I suggested to my wife that we use Terrible Towel's as arm covers. good way to support my team, or wrong use of the Terrible Towel?

What are your thought's

DukieBoy
02-06-2012, 12:46 AM
What Team will serve as the seat cover ?

fordfixer
02-06-2012, 12:52 AM
What Team will serve as the seat cover ?
:lol: :lol:

Starlifter
02-06-2012, 01:09 AM
the towel is as much about karma as it is anything else. no matter how it's used - if the motives are respect and love for the steelers, then good things will result.

D Rock
02-06-2012, 09:00 AM
The Towel represents Pittsburgh. It's supposed to be used and dirtied up.

Just not used to clean messes or anything like that. Except maybe beer. Having beer on it makes it more legitimately Pittsburgh.

Slapstick
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally, Myron Cope intended the Terrible Towel to be used for drying off a seat at Three Rivers Stadium...

7 UP
02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I had a similar problem once. For Christmas one year my Mom bought me a Steelers doormat. Now whats wrong with that picture? I told my Mom, sorry I cant use this, the Steelers are nobodys doormat. Next year buy me a Browns doormat and Ill wipe my feet on that. The Steelers doormat has been in my garage ever since. Hung neatly on the wall that is.

As for the TT, I see no issue with using it as arm rest covers. No goes with everything in a room, like a Terrible Towel.

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2012, 02:34 PM
My father always keeps a Terrible Towel hung over one of the arms of his recliner (now that I think about it, it is only on the right arm of the chair...not sure if that has anything to do with having the logo only on the right side of the helmet or not...never thought about it before, and therefore never asked him). It's the one he bought after Myron's passing with the Cope-isms all over it. However, now most of the screen printed words on the Towel have been worn off. They do make a stitched Terrible Towel that does not have screen printing (it's black on one side, gold on the other, and the words are incorporated within the fabric rather than screenprinted on afterward...I have one of those and bring that to every game). That type may be your best bet to prevent the inevitable wear and tear.

steelblood
02-06-2012, 02:41 PM
What are arm covers for? What are you doing to the arms of your chairs?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
What are arm covers for? What are you doing to the arms of your chairs?

:lol: :lol:

Flasteel
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
the towel is as much about karma as it is anything else. no matter how it's used - if the motives are respect and love for the steelers, then good things will result.
I believe this is the best advice so far.

As long as the Towel is being used to celebrate the awesomeness of the Pittsburgh Steelers, then the good karma flows. However, I'd suspect that even if there is no nefarious intention and the Towel is subjected to unsanitary, demeaning, or disrespectlul conditions, then any mojo it possesses would be drained.

Using the Towel with evil or disrespectful intentions has obviously been proven to curse the violator...no need to worry about that here though.

Arm covers? Sure. As long as your arms aren't filthy or you don't have a habit of ruining your furniture. I'd say that it sounds appropriate. I'm not sure if altering them in any way to better fit your arm rest is a good idea though.

Does anyone know if there is a known Bible for the Terrible Towel? Any lists of do's, don'ts, guidelines for use, or folklore? If not, we should start a thread with the intention of creating one. Good off-season project for the Planet. :tt2

fordfixer
02-07-2012, 02:52 AM
My father always keeps a Terrible Towel hung over one of the arms of his recliner (now that I think about it, it is only on the right arm of the chair...not sure if that has anything to do with having the logo only on the right side of the helmet or not...never thought about it before, and therefore never asked him). It's the one he bought after Myron's passing with the Cope-isms all over it. However, now most of the screen printed words on the Towel have been worn off. They do make a stitched Terrible Towel that does not have screen printing (it's black on one side, gold on the other, and the words are incorporated within the fabric rather than screenprinted on afterward...I have one of those and bring that to every game). That type may be your best bet to prevent the inevitable wear and tear.
where did you get yours I can't seem to find it?

flippy
02-07-2012, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure you can misuse a TT. TT's have special healing powers and make everything better. I keep one in my car for clean ups. I keep one in my closet to protect my wardrobe. My dog has one to shake and it keeps her calm.

Any situation where you use your TT will be enhanced in some mysterious and powerful way.

rpmpit
02-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I would think you are ok with the arm rest covers, ff.

I personally wouldn't use it for the seat though. Like 7up mentioned the doormat, I saw a set of Steelers floormats for your car or truck in a store recently. What kind of Steeler fan would use these?????

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 11:19 AM
where did you get yours I can't seem to find it?

If I recall correctly, I got mine at the Steelers Store in the Grove City Outlets about an hour north of Pittsburgh (not that that helps you any). It cost more than a normal Terrible Towel, but I've had it for years now. I'm surprised that the official team online store doesn't have it now. I looked up Hometowne Sports, which also has a huge selection and sells online, but they don't have it either.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know if there is a known Bible for the Terrible Towel? Any lists of do's, don'ts, guidelines for use, or folklore? If not, we should start a thread with the intention of creating one. Good off-season project for the Planet. :tt2

If only we had someone on the board with experience publishing a book of man laws...
:wink:

fordfixer
02-07-2012, 11:57 PM

I personally wouldn't use it for the seat though. Like 7up mentioned the doormat, I saw a set of Steelers floormats for your car or truck in a store recently. What kind of Steeler fan would use these?????

Confession time. My 3 sons got me a set of Steeler's floor mats for Christmas.I proudly put them in my truck. Let the flogging begin. :)

D Rock
02-08-2012, 12:57 AM
who cares if your feet go on it. It's still showing your pride.

focosteeler
02-08-2012, 01:04 AM

Confession time. My 3 sons got me a set of Steeler's floor mats for Christmas.I proudly put them in my truck. Let the flogging begin. :)

I am guilty of this too. :oops: I just make sure to clean them regularly :D

Mo_Steel
02-08-2012, 02:29 AM
This now begs the question...

What if and someone probably does make custom Toilet Paper, you know the kind with the Steeler emblem or many squares of the Terrible Towel in this case. I mean really, there is only one use for TP. So can you a. Not use it at all b. only put it on dispalay in a bathroom that never gets used. or c. Put it to good use while representing your Steeler Nation with pride... :stirpot

Flasteel
02-08-2012, 07:31 AM

If only we had someone on the board with experience publishing a book of man laws...
:wink:

Nice memory RB!! :Beer

Seriously though, the Towel seems to be misused by some well-intentioned folks on here. How could anyone use it to clean up spills or use it for their dog? Not cool in my book (no pun intended).

I see nothing wrong with Steeler floor mats for your vehicle. Putting Terrible Towels down as a floormat however would be seriously wrong. Not to mention they would make horrible floormats.

When I get some time, I will scour the 'net and see if there are any guidelines for appropriate Towel usage.

rpmpit
02-08-2012, 08:35 AM

I don't know guys. Just seems wrong to me. I could see getting some Patriot or Raven floormats. But then I'd be looking for piles of **** to step in on purpose :lol: :lol:

rpmpit
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM

What if and someone probably does make custom Toilet Paper, you know the kind with the Steeler emblem or many squares of the Terrible Towel in this case. I mean really, there is only one use for TP. So can you a. Not use it at all b. only put it on dispalay in a bathroom that never gets used. or c. Put it to good use while representing your Steeler Nation with pride... :stirpot

I'd never use Steeler TP. But as I said above, in reference to the floormats, I'd definitely use some Patriot or Raven TP!!! :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Use it to T.P. the houses of Ravens fans!

fordfixer
02-08-2012, 08:00 PM

I don't know guys. Just seems wrong to me. I could see getting some Patriot or Raven floormats. But then I'd be looking for piles of bad word to step in on purpose :lol: :lol:
Well I guess us fans from Wyoming and Colorado Ain't as good of fans as you guy's back east are :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: J/K :tt1

Flasteel
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Okay...10 pages of Googling and I found no sign of any existing rules, guidelines for use, or in-depth stuff about folklore. I did however, run across this snippet, which gives some nice background on the Towel.

The Terrible Towel is Poised to Strike!
Pittsburghers have embraced talismans before. During the 1966 Pirates baseball season, legendary broadcaster Bob Prince introduced the Green Weenie, a green plastic rattle that was shaped like a hot dog. When shaken at an opposing team, the Green Weenie was supposed to jinx them. Eventually, the Green Weenie lost its magic and was replaced by another Prince creation, the babushka. In 1974, Pirates fans were instructed to wave head scarves to bring good luck to the team. But like the Green Weenie, “Babushka Power” eventually lost its mojo.

However, nothing has whipped up more good luck in Pittsburgh than the beloved Terrible Towel. In the fall of 1975 when the Steelers were headed to the playoffs, the late, great Steelers sportscaster and writer Myron Cope, who was then working for WTAE, was called into the general manager of WTAE radio’s office. WTAE’s management wanted a gimmick to get the fans involved and prove to their advertisers the magnitude of Cope’s popularity, thereby inducing them to sponsor his broadcasts.

The Birth of the Terrible Towel
During the brainstorming session, one of the radio executives suggested a towel because nearly everyone had one and they were portable and lightweight. Cope recalls saying, “We could call it the Terrible Towel. Yes, and I can go on radio and television proclaiming, ‘The Terrible Towel is poised to strike!’"

A few days later, Cope took to the airwaves, urging Steelers fans to bring black and gold towels to wave at the playoff game, and every day leading up to the big game Cope proclaimed: “The Terrible Towel is poised to strike!”

Cope, for all of his bravado, was not sure the gimmick would catch on, and he came under criticism from the media and some of the Steelers players for this foray into sports fanaticism. But on game day Cope estimated that nearly 30,000 fans showed up waving Terrible Towels. The weather was nasty, cold and wet, and after wide receiver Frank Lewis wiped his hands with a Terrible Towel, he made an acrobatic, one-handed catch from Terry Bradshaw. A legend was born! The Steelers went on to win Super Bowl X.

The First Towels Came from Home
At first fans brought black or gold towels they had on hand, but recognizing a blossoming market, Gimbel’s Department Store approached Cope about putting a Terrible Towel logo on towels and selling them. In 1978, the first official Terrible Towels hit the shelves at Gimbel’s and sold out within hours. They have been selling well ever since. In 1996, Cope donated the rights to the Terrible Towel to the Allegheny Valley School, which cares for people with mental retardation and physical disabilities. Cope’s autistic son David received care at Allegheny Valley School. To date, the school has received more than $3 million in proceeds from towel sales.

All great artifacts like the Holy Grail or Excalibur inspire lore, and the Terrible Towel is no different. During one playoff game against the Houston Oilers, Steelers fan Larry Opperman, wearing only a bathing suit with a Terrible Towel draped in front and back leaped onto the field at Three Rivers Stadium and ran waving a Terrible Towel past the Oilers’ bench and through the Oilers players on the field. Two days later, Opperman showed up at Cope’s office and presented him with one of the towels he had worn.

Initially, the Terrible Towel’s magic was reserved for post-season games, but the towel's power could not be held back. It now can be seen waving at almost every Steelers game and in other unlikely places. It has become the custom of Steelers fans to travel with the towel. The towel has been to the South Pole, atop the Alps and Mt. Kilimanjaro, to the Vatican, the Riviera and the Great Wall of China. Military personnel have taken it to Afghanistan and Iraq. Before the 2008 AFC Championship game, the crew of the International Space Station displayed it. Babies born in Pittsburgh during a run to the Super Bowl are swaddled in Terrible Towels and Steelers' tassel caps in local hospitals.

The Terrible Towel Tolerates No Disrespect
It is an affront to Steelers fans everywhere to disrespect their beloved towel. And those who do, risk the towel’s wrath. Before the 1994 playoff game with the rivaled Cleveland Browns, Earnest Byner of the Browns stomped on a towel that Steeler Brentson Buckner had accidentally dropped. In turn, the Steelers stomped the Brown 29-9.

T. J. Houshmandzadeh foolishly flouted the towel’s power during the December 4, 2005, regular season game. After scoring a touchdown, he wiped his feet with a Terrible Towel. The Browns won that game, but the Steelers trounced them in the playoffs on their way to winning Super Bowl XL.

On January 27, 2009, before the Arizona Cardinals left Phoenix to play in Super Bowl XLIII against the Steelers, the mayor of Phoenix gave a Terrible Towel to the Cardinals’ mascot who proceeded to wipe his armpits with the towel. Then the mayor blew his nose into it. They would come to rue their actions; the Cardinals lost the Super Bowl to the Steelers 27-23.

Before this year’s playoff game against the Jets, Jets fans were recorded on YouTube stomping the Terrible Towel. The Jets fell behind early in the game and never were able to overcome the deficit of points. Before his passing, Cope reflected on the enigma of the Terrible Towel: "I did not see the Terrible Towel as witchcraft to hex the enemy. It would be a positive force, driving the Steelers to superhuman performance, but if it experienced a yen for mischief and created fatal mistakes by opponents, I would tolerate that."

Article by Jan Palko

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2012, 09:13 PM
A few days later, Cope took to the airwaves, urging Steelers fans to bring black and gold towels to wave at the playoff game, and every day leading up to the big game Cope proclaimed: “The Terrible Towel is poised to strike!”

The Terrible Towel is poised to strike...

[youtube:10mrq7fb]-4xi7eA68og[/youtube:10mrq7fb]

...and, boy, did he strike!!!

flippy
02-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Can you wash your TT?

Serious question? Does putting it through a washing machine harm its mojo?

rpmpit
02-09-2012, 10:13 AM

I don't know guys. Just seems wrong to me. I could see getting some Patriot or Raven floormats. But then I'd be looking for piles of bad word to step in on purpose :lol: :lol:
Well I guess us fans from Wyoming and Colorado Ain't as good of fans as you guy's back east are :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: J/K :tt1

Glad you were J/K-ing. There are enough people on here who don't like me!! :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Can you wash your TT?

Serious question? Does putting it through a washing machine harm its mojo?

Hmmm...now that I think about it, I've never washed any of mine (then again, I don't use 'em like T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Lendale White, Jevon Kearse, the Cardinals' mascot, and the mayor of Phoenix did, so it's not as if they are smelly...and any dirt or other grime that gets on there could be considered battle scars...and of course, chicks dig scars). I suppose if you had to wash it, I'd just try to stay away from detergents that smell like a lavender meadow or any fabric softeners named "Snuggle."

Starlifter
02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
TT's when washed will eventually wear out, however that's why I buy 5 new ones every year to start the season. The old ones stick around, but since it's for a good cause - I like new ones as well. We have quite a bin that's filled up over the years at chez starlifter.

As for uses of the TT beyond football. As I said before, if the intentions are pure adding a TT to the mix only improves it. It's akin to the Starlifter philosophy on deep frying. I don't care what the food is. If you batter it and boil it in fat - it's only going to be better.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Djfan
04-16-2012, 12:39 AM
I just returned from a pilgrimage to the Great North of Wyoming. In fact, I came very close to Greybull, WY, the home of The Beard. No sightings to report. Sorry.

On the way back I made my much anticipated stop at FF's home. I saw the recliner with the TT's proudly pinned on each arm, gathered on the front of the arm, and the head rest area. It was tasteful and admirable. Good job FF.

The one point of curiosity is that the recliner is very large. I have never seen one like it. I guess that if Kemo makes a pilgrimage to Wyoming, and happens to visit FF's basement, he has a seat for the next game he will not be playing in.