PDA

View Full Version : Get ready to hear how Eli is better than...

Steel Life
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM
...his brother, Ben, Brees & Rodgers.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-05-2012, 11:20 PM
They can say that all they want, that's fine with me.

As long as Marsha* and Bellicheat weren't the ones on that stand, I'm fine with all of it!

pittpete
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Maybe not better, but definitely in the league

Iron Shiek
02-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Its time to freakin give eli credit. He's up and down, but up more and 2 superbowls he had direct hand in winning. He's a great qb.

feltdizz
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Its time to freakin give eli credit. He's up and down, but up more and 2 superbowls he had direct hand in winning. He's a great qb.
:Agree

I thought he got unfair treatment for saying he is elite.

DukieBoy
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM

:Agree

SteelBucks
02-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Great QB. Period.

7 UP
02-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Hes definitely in the conversation now.

Chadman
02-06-2012, 01:01 AM
We really are blessed for talented QB's at the moment- Ben, Eli, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers..that's your elite group...with quite a few good ones just behind them.

Starlifter
02-06-2012, 01:05 AM
I actually compare him to ben quite a bit. at least in the sense, the only stat that matters is wins and championships. he's got 2 rings. that makes him pretty darn good.

it also makes him better than his brother.

SteelTorch
02-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Eli has definitely gotten better than I ever thought he would be. Kudos to him. I will say that it was a team win though. You have to give the whole Giants team credit.

We could take a lesson from them. Unlike the Steelers, their offense was well-rounded on all fronts. They invested in a solid O-line that could protect Manning and open up running lanes when they had to. It the Steelers had done the same, Ben very well may be wearing three rings instead of two.

Starlifter
02-06-2012, 01:08 AM
it also warms my heart to think about how phillip rivers is feeling tonight.

rex ryan as well........... :lol: :lol:

SteelBucks
02-06-2012, 08:33 AM

I was thinking the same thing last night. The Steelers and Giants were definitely the winners from that QB draft class.

Steelgal
02-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Agreed....especially after how bad they played this season.

There have been seasons when I think the Chargers had a more talented roster than the Steelers/Giants, but they can't get it done on a consistant basis. Why they didn't make a coaching change after this season or atleast a GM change, I just don't understand....

snarky
02-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Cam Newton. :stirpot

SidSmythe
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Eli is Elite. It's all about winning!!
He's won 2 Superbowls with 2 last drive comeback.
2 Superbowl MVPs trumps his 82.1 career passer rating.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Eli has definitely gotten better than I ever thought he would be. Kudos to him. I will say that it was a team win though. You have to give the whole Giants team credit.

We could take a lesson from them. Unlike the Steelers, their offense was well-rounded on all fronts. They invested in a solid O-line that could protect Manning and open up running lanes when they had to. It the Steelers had done the same, Ben very well may be wearing three rings instead of two.

Hmm... 3 sacks...

124 total yards on the ground on 27 carries (Bradshaw had 24 on one run) and he fumbled...

I'm not impressed by the Giants production last night... I'm glad they won but if we put up those numbers on the ground I bet you half the board talks about how bad the ground game was or asked why we even ran that much given how bad the Pats D is.

21 points? 2 FG's and a safety and a gimme TD that would have been a FG if they did what the coaches asked.

Can you guys really say you want our O to look like that? I think the only difference is Eli doesn't try to break tackles when under pressure and he takes what's there underneath.

IMO the Giants played the exact kind of football we have loathed for years. Up, 9-0, control the whole first half and down 10-9 at the half. 2 FG's... and needing a last second drive against the worst pass D we have ever seen the Pats* field.

run run pass.. run run pass... what exactly do we want on offense because it sure seems like we want whatever wins a SB even if it's exactly what we said we didn't want 2 days earlier.

hawaiiansteel
02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Jacobs: Eli is NFL’s best

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 6, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/eli-holding-up-trophy.jpg?w=250

I wrote my post-Super Bowl column for NBCSports.com on Eli Manning outplaying Tom Brady down the stretch of Sunday’s game.

While Brady had his moments against the Giants, the Patriots didn’t score for the final 26 minutes of the game. Brady got the ball with the lead twice in the fourth quarter and couldn’t capitalize. Manning, like he’s done for so much of the season, played his best when the pressure was greatest.

Manning was the best fourth quarter and third down quarterback all season long. The same trend played out on the game’s biggest stage. It’s enough to make Brandon Jacobs say his quarterback is the best in the league overall.

“Now [Eli] has two titles,” Jacobs said, spittle flying from his mouth. “Drew Brees is a pretty good quarterback and he’s at home. Aaron Rodgers is a pretty good quarterback and he’s at home. Tom Brady is a good quarterback. . . . And Eli beat him twice. Ask Tom Brady if that means [something].”

Football is a team game, so Jacobs is oversimplifying things. But for the last six weeks, no quarterback has been better than Eli Manning.

Eli played well all year, even when the Giants were losing games. He’s always been known as a streaky quarterback, but he was on a hot streak for the whole season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nfls-best/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/06/jacobs-eli-is-nfls-best/)

steelz09
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM

There have been seasons when I think the Chargers had a more talented roster than the Steelers/Giants, but they can't get it done on a consistant basis. Why they didn't make a coaching change after this season or atleast a GM change, I just don't understand....

I think Eli and Ben could possibly win more Super Bowls. Rivers might. Obviously, I'm hopeful that Ben will. Could that QB draft class go down as the best ever?

grotonsteel
02-06-2012, 12:35 PM

I think Eli and Ben could possibly win more Super Bowls. Rivers might. Obviously, I'm hopeful that Ben will. Could that QB draft class go down as the best ever?

You can add Matt Schaub in that class too.Houston could have won the SB if Matt Schaub was healthy.

aggiebones
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
How is he not in the conversation?

Was his D too good? Wait that was a complaint about Ben?
Running game? Same
2 SBs, check. ELI MVP of both.

He's MUCH younger than alot of the league QBs, similar to Ben and Rodgers.

He's top 5, no doubt.

Some of you probably think Romo is better. lol

pittpete
02-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey feltdizz it kept the Pats offense off the field didnt it?
Could it be thats part of the formula in beating the Patriots :idea:

SteelTorch
02-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Hmm... 3 sacks...

124 total yards on the ground on 27 carries (Bradshaw had 24 on one run) and he fumbled...

That's still 4.6 yards a carry, genius. :lol: That's good, and still better than what our average was last season. And two of those three sacks came on one drive. Other than that, the O-line definitely performed better than ours would have.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM

Hmm... 3 sacks...

That's still 4.6 yards a carry, dumb dumb. :lol: And two of those three sacks came on one drive. Other than that, the O-line definitely performed better than ours.

you need to grow up...

Take away the long run (because that's what we do on this board when it comes to our running game) and it's not considered a great outing on the ground. Decent but nothing to write home about.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey feltdizz it kept the Pats offense off the field didnt it?
Could it be thats part of the formula in beating the Patriots :idea:

It could be.... but the Giants trailed at half time after dominating the 1st half...

I could see if the Giants won in convincing fashion but the Giants were 1 dropped pass from losing the game. Pats were also inches away from Gradowski catching a deflected hail mary in the endzone...

I thought these were the things we didn't want with our new and improved offense?

RuthlessBurgher
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM

You can add Matt Schaub in that class too.Houston could have won the SB if Matt Schaub was healthy.

The Texans could potentially be scary good next year...Schaub instead of a rookie late round pick, Andre Johnson healthy all year, Mario Williams recovered from injury (assuming they give him the franchise tag), that dominant running game, massively improved defense...

I think Houston could be the odds-on-favorite to win homefield advantage throughout the AFC playoffs next year (best team in a weak division and a more talented roster when healthy in my mind than New England or Baltimore).

This coming year's schedule could give us an advantage over Baltimore from the get-go. Our division plays all of the AFC West and NFC East teams, but in the uncommon games against the AFC East and South teams (based on where teams finished in the standings) we get the Jets at home and Titans on the road (we should be favored in both games), while the Ratbirds get the Asterisks at home and the Texans on the road (they'll likely be underdogs in both games).

steelblood
02-06-2012, 02:34 PM
We really are blessed for talented QB's at the moment- Ben, Eli, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers..that's your elite group...with quite a few good ones just behind them.

No Brees in that group? I'm not sure how a guy who set the passing record gets downgraded while a dude who hasn't played football in 13 months gets a pass.

As far as the rest of the discussion goes...

Eli is a dopey goofball, but he is an excellent QB. You can't spell elite without Eli.

Northern_Blitz
02-06-2012, 04:43 PM

A quarterback who's young, inconsistent, and known for game winning drives in super bowls.
Who does that sound like?

If you are looking at championships and who had a bigger hand in winning the actual big game, you could argue that E.Manning has been more successful than Ben (because he didn't play "great" against the Sea Hawks), or even Brady (because Eli got game winning TDs, not in range of the best kicker of all time - and he won without cheating).

I don't know that I buy those arguments, but they could be made and we would be making them if this was our QB.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":hqqpwacs]Its time to freakin give eli credit. He's up and down, but up more and 2 superbowls he had direct hand in winning. He's a great qb.

A quarterback who's young, inconsistent, and known for game winning drives in super bowls.
Who does that sound like?

If you are looking at championships and who had a bigger hand in winning the actual big game, you could argue that E.Manning has been more successful than Ben (because he didn't play "great" against the Sea Hawks), or even Brady (because Eli got game winning QBs, not in range of the best kicker of all time - and he won without cheating).

I don't know that I buy those arguments, but they could be made and we would be making them if this was our QB.[/quote:hqqpwacs]

Eli has better SB performances than Ben. That isn't up for debate IMO especially when you look at who we played vs who Eli played.

Ben still has the better overall career IMO...

brothervad
02-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Both are great QB's...

Debate will run high on both sides...

What I want to see is it determined on the field between them mano y mano in a superbowl.

That would be a matchup for the ages.

One can dream...can't they?

brothervad

Captain Lemming
02-06-2012, 11:59 PM

The Texans could potentially be scary good next year...Schaub instead of a rookie late round pick, Andre Johnson healthy all year, Mario Williams recovered from injury (assuming they give him the franchise tag), that dominant running game, massively improved defense...

I think Houston could be the odds-on-favorite to win homefield advantage throughout the AFC playoffs next year (best team in a weak division and a more talented roster when healthy in my mind than New England or Baltimore).

I agree completely.
I remember thinking as the playoffs began, if not for injuries this would be one scary bunch.
IMO they are EASILY the most well rounded team in the league and the only question is whether they can handle the playoff pressure.

With a healthy QB, I do not see anybody who is CLOSE to them in all areas.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Eli is elite for sure.

Regarding the Texans, is Foster a free agent along with Mario?

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Eli is elite for sure.

Regarding the Texans, is Foster a free agent along with Mario?

He's a restricted free agent. He can be kept with the high RFA tender which would require 1st and 3rd round compensation if another team wants to sign him away (same situation we have with Mike Wallace).

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Both are great QB's...

Debate will run high on both sides...

What I want to see is it determined on the field between them mano y mano in a superbowl.

That would be a matchup for the ages.

One can dream...can't they?

brothervad

The Super Bowl Champs always host the opening night Thursday game the following year. We are scheduled to play the Giants in Jersey next year, so there is a possibility of a Ben vs. Eli opening night special (then again, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees are also scheduled to make visits to the Meadowlands next year as well, so one of those matchups may be preferable to NFL brass instead; or they could make it a division game like Dallas or Philly...who knows).