PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent FB's

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I am no fan of the hybrid TE/FB so I am hoping D. Johnson does not return. I would like the Steelers to either go with a single back, 3 WR, 1 TE, or go back to the traditional FB. With that in mind I am wondering the boards thoughts on this, and on potential FB's.

First up, Owen Schmitt is a free agent. I liked him coming out of WVU. Just seems like a Steeler.

Jooser
02-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Being a former Mountaineer, I'd second that. He's a tough, hard-nosed son-of-a-b!tch - if he can get his head on straight, I think he'd be worth a look.

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't know, you guys think Owen Schmitt is tough enough? :wink:

http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/owen-schmitt-cracks-his-own-head-open-during-pre-game-intro-300x220.jpg

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Do we already have our FB on the roster with Redzone? Him and Mendy in the same backfield might be pretty good.

D Rock
02-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Do we already have our FB on the roster with Redzone? Him and Mendy in the same backfield might be pretty good.

RBs have a limited shelf life as it is. I don't want to see the Steelers diminish the shelf life of their hardest runner, and one of the toughest guys to get down I've seen, by slamming him head first into Dlineman and LBs all game long for someone else to do the running.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Does Clay have the mental toughness to be an NFL FB? He has the build. Schmitt seems like he would have the mentality that he would do whatever he can for the team.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Here is how walterfootball ranks the potential free agent (RFA and UFA) fullbacks:

Marcel Reece (RFA), FB, Raiders. Age: 27.
Marcel "Matchup Nightmare" Reece is one of the top fullbacks in the NFL. He does everything really well.

Tony Fiammetta (RFA), FB, Cowboys. Age: 26.
DeMarco Murray's production really dropped off when Tony Fiammetta was out of the lineup, and then it picked up once again when Fiammetta returned. Coincidence?

Le'Ron McClain, FB, Chiefs. Age: 27.
Le'Ron McClain is only a decent run-blocker. He barely got any carries last year despite the injury to Jamaal Charles.

David Johnson (RFA), FB, Steelers. Age: 25.
David Johnson is a quality run-blocker who can catch the occasional pass (12 receptions in 2011).

Earnest Graham, FB, Buccaneers. Age: 32.
Earnest Graham was a really good fullback before he tore his Achilles in late October. That injury is really difficult to recover from.

Jacob Hester, FB, Chargers. Age: 27.
Michael Robinson, FB, Seahawks. Age: 29.
Lex Hilliard (RFA), FB, Dolphins. Age: 28.
Brit Miller (RFA), FB, Rams. Age: 25.
Owen Schmitt, FB, Eagles. Age: 27.
Ahmard Hall, FB, Titans. Age: 32.
Spencer Larsen, FB, Broncos. Age: 28.
Moran Norris, FB, 49ers. Age: 34.
Chris Pressley (RFA), FB, Bengals. Age: 26.
Brock Bolen (RFA), FB, Jaguars. Age: 27.

pfelix73
02-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Agreed. We need to get back the traditional FB. We need to bring in one of these guys listed. Owen would be a good start.

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Michael Robinson (the former PSU QB) made the Pro Bowl as a fullback this year. He has opened holes for Frank Gore in SF and Marshawn Lynch in SEA.

Steel Life
02-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Marcel Reece would add a nice element to the team...the guy is deceptively fast & has good hands - formerly a WR in college I believe.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Marcel Reece would add a nice element to the team...the guy is deceptively fast & has good hands - formerly a WR in college I believe.

He's restricted, though...Oakland should give him a reasonably high tender that would require too much draft pick compensation to be worth it.

Chadman
02-04-2012, 10:16 PM
The Steelers generally only carry 4 RB's on the playing roster. Mendy, Redman & Batch/Moore as the 3rd down guy. The last RB spot will be between a power runner (Dwyer/Clay) or a FB. Chadman isn't sure if they'd take a pure blocking FB anymore- simply because with only 4 RB's on the roster- you need the FB to be able to contribute as a pass catcher/runner as well.

Owen Schmidt might be the guy- but he's bounced around a few teams in a short time- not a good indication.

Arians might have had it right- get a 3rd TE to split time as a FB & carry 4 genuine RB's on the roster.

It doesn't HAVE to be Johnson.

Drake Dunsmore out of Northwestern could be an option- he's TE/FB tweener that catches well. Or maybe Cody Johnson out of Texas- more your RB/FB hybrid, replacing the 4th RB but still providing a body to tote the ball as required.

To be honest- the lack of a FB wasn't the running game's downfall. The lack of decent interior run blocking was.

SS Laser
02-06-2012, 02:56 AM
I posted this in another thread that must have been over looked so I will post it here again.

Gentlemen I have high hopes we return to a offense with a FB. And there seems to be a young man on the roster that could play that role just fine. Now that the EVIL one is gone. No need to make him a FB/TE. Just a FB or TE. But I hope FB. What is he really?

Jamie McCoy
Listed as a FB/TE but I think he can be a good FB that can catch the ball.
I hope a real camp helps him out and other young players this year.

More info:
03/16/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: Tight end Jamie McCoy (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) ran 4.56 and 4.57 seconds in the 40, had a 35-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 10-inch broad jump. He had a time of 7.11 seconds in the three-cone drill and did 23 lifts on the bench press. McCoy's top 40 time would have placed him tied for second among tight ends at the combine behind the eye-popping 4.40 time posted by Pittsburgh's Dorin Dickerson. Numbers posted in the vertical jump, broad jump and bench press also would have placed McCoy among the combine's top performers at his position. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1128772

Also:
Aggie FB/TE Jamie McCoy is currently projected as a possible late round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, if he gets drafted at all. McCoy ran a 4.56 and a 4.57 at the A&M Pro Day, times that would have put him at #2 among TEs at the NFL Combine. Unfortunately, McCoy was not invited to the NFL Combine for reasons that are still unclear to me (it should be noted that scouts also chose not to invite Texas Tech WR Wes Welker to the Combine when he finished his eligibility, either; six years and three All-Pro selections later, you have wonder how many scouts admit to the stupidity of that decision), so his numbers are not compared to what he did at the Combine.

McCoy started all 13 games of the 2009 season, playing at both TE and FB. He finished with 35 receptions for 367 yards, 2 TDs, and 11 carries for 80 yards. At 6'2, 240 lbs, McCoy has the size and athleticism to excel as a blocker; he has the receiving ability to be a complete TE. He also can run the ball as a FB, or break the I and split out as a receiver. McCoy looks like a natural for the H-back position most teams want in their offense to replace the prototypical blocking TE, which is what makes the lack of interest in him so perplexing to me.

If McCoy ends up drafted in the late rounds, I think some team is going to end up with an absolute steal at TE. If McCoy goes undrafted and has to sign on with a team as a free agent, he will have to go the same route Welker did, and prove everybody wrong when he gets into training camp and onto the field.
http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2010/4/16/ ... a-steal-in

Even more:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=FB

Should I quit now?:
McCoy bounced around between quarterback and wide receiver the first two years of his career at Texas A&M before making the switch to tight end for the 2008 spring drills. The move paid off as he developed into one of the best tight ends in the Big 12 over the past two seasons, making 78 catches for 867 yards and seven touchdowns. He set career highs with seven receptions for 110 yards and two scores in a 49-35 win over Iowa State on Oct. 25, 2008, and produced first downs on 30 of his 43 catches that season. In 2009, McCoy had 35 receptions for 367 yards and earned second-team All-Big 12 fullback honors on a potent Texas A&M team that averaged nearly 33 points per game. McCoy is an excellent athlete with good speed who rushed for 148 yards on only 17 carries during his career. The versatile McCoy never shies away from contact and has displayed a knack for making difficult catches across the middle, making him a good target in the passing game. Whether he has the strength to take the pounding an NFL fullback absorbs on a snap-by-snap basis remains to be seen, but McCoy has solid blocking ability and an intriguing skill set that should help him get drafted in one of the later rounds.
http://philly.stats.com/nfldraft/players.asp?id=134771