PDA

View Full Version : Mean Joe Greene Happy Arians is Gone

Flasteel
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM
On the Steelers: Greene OK with idea of 'new' offensive plan
Saturday, February 04, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
INDIANAPOLIS -- Count Joe Greene among those happy to see the Steelers move to change their approach on offense.

"If it doesn't feel good, you have to change it and, basically, it wasn't feeling good," Greene said Friday. "It wasn't feeling good in '09, and it wasn't feeling good in 2011."

Greene, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle chosen the most important player in Steelers history, spent time promoting a new commercial for Procter & Gamble that is a takeoff on his famous Coke commercial 32 years ago which won a Clio.

Greene, a special assistant in the Steelers personnel department since '04, said watching the offense last season was difficult for him.

"I don't like the imbalance," he said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He implied the Steelers could be playing Sunday in the Super Bowl had there been smarter play-calling on offense.

Steelers president Art Rooney II essentially fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians when he did not offer him a contract renewal after the season. Monday, the Indianapolis Colts hired Arians as their offensive coordinator.

"I don't disagree with him," Greene said of Rooney's move.

The Steelers offense last season ranked 12th in the NFL in total yards but 21st in points scored. Coach Mike Tomlin has been interviewing candidates for a new offensive coordinator.

Greene said his complaint with the offense did not lie in the ratio of runs to passes but in the lack of commitment to run, especially in obvious situations.

"Look at the teams that are here,'' Greene said of the Super Bowl matchup between the New England Patriots and New York Giants. "There is a method to their madness, there is a system, you can see what they're trying to do.

"When New England played the [Baltimore] Ravens [in the AFC championship game], had they continued trying to throw the football, they would have lost it. They decided they had to run it, but they couldn't line up and show you they were going to run it, they had to look like they were going to throw the pass, and that's when they ran the ball on them. And that allowed them to score a couple touchdowns.

"And the Giants, they run the football pretty good, but they mix in the pass, and they can throw the ball.

"The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Greene, who attends training camp with the rest of the scouts for at least the first two weeks, said the commitment to run should start there, and he did not see that.

"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing. For 18 years [as an NFL defensive coach], one of the things that I did was draw up the running game for 9 on 7 and for team," Greene said of those practice sessions. "And there is always a weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it. You don't just call the run because you get tired of throwing it or because someone wants you to."

Greene blamed the Steelers loss Nov. 6 to Baltimore on the offense's inability to run the clock with the lead. The Ravens drove 92 yards in the final two minutes to score the winning touchdown with eight seconds left, 23-20. He also noted that, even in the regular-season finale at Cleveland, the Browns were throwing desperation passes with a chance to win at the end, chances Greene believes they would not have had if the offense had used the clock better.

"In our second game against Baltimore, if we play smart football, we're going to be in a position to host the AFC championship game," Greene said. "I just think that we let this opportunity get away."

He has faith, however, that the Steelers will find someone to improve their offense for '12.

"Oh, yeah. The organization is a great organization, and, sometimes, great organizations stub their toes."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/12 ... z1lQK6gpnt (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/1208112-66-0.stm#ixzz1lQK6gpnt)

hawaiiansteel
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM
:Agree well said Mean Joe :Clap

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d3CTN20e29c/TgKgxPZZ47I/AAAAAAAAACo/6SeMLYe5Oz4/s1600/coke-mean-joe.jpg

feltdizz
02-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I think if we went with Redman more often last year we would have been a better ball control team. We don't have a good OL but Redman had a style that hid their difficiencies.

Pound it with Redman, put Mendenhall out in space and we become the Giants or the 49ers this year. Giants still threw a ton so the WR's will get their fair share of passes.

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2012, 01:15 PM
MeetJoeGreene is happy about the same thing that Mean Joe Green is happy about and is happy that Mean Joe Greene is happy about the same thing. Oh happy day.

grotonsteel
02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Well i disagree with Mean Joe Greene on few points. Ravens game was a bad example. What does he have to say about a Defense which gives 92 yards to Joe Flacco?? Steelers have spent heavily on Defense and they can't stop Joe Flacco or Tim Tebow???

Steelers never had issues with ball control last season. It was 2nd in the league 7sec off No.1 spot.

Steelers Achilles heels is scoring points in red zone. And good O-line and running game should solve the woes by 50% atleast.

Hopefully ARII drafts heavily on Offensive side and spend money on Offense and O-line.

Jooser
02-04-2012, 01:47 PM
"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing. For 18 years [as an NFL defensive coach], one of the things that I did was draw up the running game for 9 on 7 and for team," Greene said of those practice sessions. "And there is always a weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it. You don't just call the run because you get tired of throwing it or because someone wants you to."

That quote sums it up: No intelligent design to the running game. You can blame it on the back all you want to, but the fact of the matter is that BA didn't design a running scheme at all. They were token hand-offs to pacify the owners.

Well said Mean Joe! :tt2

feltdizz
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM

That quote sums it up: No intelligent design to the running game. You can blame it on the back all you want to, but the fact of the matter is that BA didn't design a running scheme at all. They were token hand-offs to pacify the owners.

Well said Mean Joe! :tt2

Why did Redman and Moore (when healthy) look good behind token hand-offs while Mendenhall struggled?

Jooser
02-04-2012, 01:56 PM
That's a matter of perspective dizz, Redman is a hard runner and is hard to bring down, kinda like Ben. I think that lack of commitment to the run plays in favor to a guy who comes in fresh and just puts his head down and barrels ahead. The whole run game sucked air last year, Redman would have eventually hit a wall running consistently in that scheme with the lack of blocking. ...IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Hopefully ARII drafts heavily on Offensive side and spend money on Offense and O-line.

I agree that we need to add quality to the OL, but we don't need to draft heavily on the offensive side necessarily. If you look at our offense, there is youth everywhere (if Hines goes, Ben becomes the oldest guy on O). It is on defense where we have to replace older talent with younger talent on every level.

grotonsteel
02-04-2012, 08:51 PM

I agree that we need to add quality to the OL, but we don't need to draft heavily on the offensive side necessarily. If you look at our offense, there is youth everywhere (if Hines goes, Ben becomes the oldest guy on O). It is on defense where we have to replace older talent with younger talent on every level.

I think BPA in Rd 1 is O-line but if Colbert and co select a Defensive player i hope he is a game changer like Troy or James Harrison.

I would love Steelers to draft 2 O-linemen in first 4-5 picks and either a FB or good blocking TE late in the draft. Enough of DJ experiment.

pfelix73
02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Yea, we don't need to go overboard on drafting more OL. They are a young group. If they could add a G in Fa, that would be great. If not, draft one down the line. We have more needs right now than just OL. We need to go after a playmaker in round 1. Hoghtower comes to mind, just to name 1.

:tt1

Shoe
02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Mean Joe Greene's opinion in this case are barely above that of any old-time (all be, great) in terms of what it takes to be successful in today's NFL. If you asked Deacon Jones, Dick Butkus, Mel Blount... about how to run an offense, I'm sure they'll all say that you have to run the ball to win in this game. Unfortunately, it's NOT the same game anymore. And with these great players, they won't budge on their opinion, because it's part of what made them great.

In 2012, you have to move the ball with the pass. The rules are set-up for that. To not take advantage of those rules, and stubbornly stay in that same mantra ("run to set up the pass" etc.) is retarded.

Jooser
02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I think what MJG is getting at is you have to be able to do both when you need to. He sounds fine with the pass, ala his comments about Terry, Swannie, and Stallworth. The point is that you have to to be able to run the ball with purpose when circumstances dictate that you need to run the ball. His argument is that BA didn't have any scheme or purpose in his running game, it was just hand the ball off on a few token plays and hope to catch the defense napping. He also suggests that BA and the offense spent very little time practicing the running game and the emphasis was all PASS. I think the point is if you run the ball, run it like you mean it and design plays to take advantage of defenses.

NorthCoast
02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I agree. If you plan and practice the run game and it is successful, then the pass game goes oh so much easier. This offense would be deadly with defenses having to worry about an effective run game on top of Ben's big passing plays.
The run game this season was an afterthought, nothing more, and it showed in game after game. Ben is at his best when defenses have to worry about something other than Ben. Teams played a lot of cover two against Ben, and I think he struggles with it. Just think what a good ground game would do to fix that.

Shawn
02-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Well said Greene.

I'm not an Arians hater. But, I don't know if I have seen so little done with so much in a long long time. The Steelers have the pieces, franchise QB, elite running back (yes I said it), and a crew of unreal WRs. Besides the questionable OL play there is zero reason the Steelers should have struggled on O.

feltdizz
02-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Well said Greene.

I'm not an Arians hater. But, I don't know if I have seen so little done with so much in a long long time. The Steelers have the pieces, franchise QB, elite running back (yes I said it), and a crew of unreal WRs. Besides the questionable OL play there is zero reason the Steelers should have struggled on O.

"new engine, chromed out car, 500 under the hood... besides the 2 flat tires I see zero reason why we are struggling to win races"

fix the interior line play and we will be a great offense.... or put Redman in until we get a great OL and actually take advantage of his style of running.

Oviedo
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM

I would agree that we have youth at the skill positions on offense, but no way on the OL. The only youth of any quality is Pouncey and Gilbert, that is only 40% of a solution with at best average back ups and we have two of them as staters.

Oviedo
02-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Well said Greene.

"new engine, chromed out car, 500 under the hood... besides the 2 flat tires I see zero reason why we are struggling to win races"

fix the interior line play and we will be a great offense.... or put Redman in until we get a great OL and actually take advantage of his style of running.

:Agree Get two quality Guards and any new OC will look like a genius. You can't start career back ups and expect to perform at a high level.

skyhawk
02-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Whats all this about ball control and running the ball?

The Giants won the SB and weren't they last in the league in rushing and YPC?

DBR96A
02-13-2012, 07:08 PM

During the playoffs, the Giants ran the ball 112 times for 466 yards, which is good for 4.2 YPC. They also had two TD runs. Their running game played well enough to keep defenses honest.

fezziwig
02-13-2012, 07:26 PM
MJG said what everyone with a brain already knew, Arians is not a good coach. Despite an average or injured o-line Arians, has his head up his a$$ with his passing game.
Every defense must have realized our running game only goes through the motions but was very unreliable.
Our offense put fear into no one.

If the Colts sucked last season, just wait until Arians gets a hold of them. He will find them an even deeper spot in hell.

Arian has cost this teams so many wins and probably last seasons Super Bowl and this seasons Super Bowl.

DBR96A
02-13-2012, 07:37 PM
If the Colts sucked last season, just wait until Arians gets a hold of them. He will find them an even deeper spot in hell.
Mark my words: Bruce Arians will arrest Andrew Luck's development in the NFL.

fezziwig
02-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Mark my words: Bruce Arians will arrest Andrew Luck's development in the NFL.

He did with Bens in my opinion.

DBR96A
02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
He did with Bens in my opinion.
That's exactly why I say that Andrew Luck is next.

birtikidis
02-13-2012, 08:13 PM

They also barely made it into the playoffs. Until they discovered balance and then decided to focus on what was working their offense was putrid

birtikidis
02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
You could have an all world offensive line, but if you continue to put them in positions to fail, they will.

Flasteel
02-13-2012, 09:43 PM
You could have an all world offensive line, but if you continue to put them in positions to fail, they will.

Who authorized you to bring football intelligence to the conversation?

fezziwig
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM

They also barely made it into the playoffs. Until they discovered balance and then decided to focus on what was working their offense was putrid

Who authorized you to bring football intelligence to the conversation?

:Clap :Clap :Clap

feltdizz
02-14-2012, 10:12 AM

When you can get pressure with 4 DL's it doesn't matter what the offense is doing.

The Giant's made the playoffs because of Eli's arm and the their DL.

They didn't "discover" balance... Bradshaw was hurt for 3 or 4 games and Jacobs is a scrub. Even before Bradshaw's injury the running game stunk.

The reason the Giant's made a run is because GB had a horrible game and their D stinks... and SF doesn't put up a ton of points and Alex Smith stunk.

Not trying to argue but it wasn't a magical discovery by the Giants.. it was that front 4.

If we could get pressure, sacks and TO's when sending 4 our O would've discovered balance and made a run..

fezziwig
02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
To me our defense doesn't put a lot of pressure on the qb or at least it seemed that way to me this season. You have the number one defense, so little turnovers and again, Harrison & Woodley were either missing games or playing injured so, I really don't know how the defense ended up being ranked number one. It must have been to Lebeaus credit but, but, but.........I take away all that credit away after I seen what, he allowed in the Broncos playoff game.