PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat off topic: Josh Hsmilton

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2012, 01:27 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=7537732

I'll tell you guys what, I respect Josh Hamilton for coming forward for his actions & approaching this situation as a man. While reading the article, however, I kept thinking of Santonio. I know the NFL has a pee test, and punishment for s failed pee test, but do they demand players seek & receive help for addictions? Just wondered. Good luck to Josh in finding his strength. Santonio as well.

Every day try and be a better you than you were the day before & strive to break cycles in your family history! All you can do to ensure success as a parent.

What I like about hamilton here is he lived up to mistakes where some famous people dodge & hide.

feltdizz
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
An addict will tell you whatever sounds good... He's only sorry because he was photographed doing it.

I feel bad he has an addiction but I've worked at homeless shelters and seen it first hand. The nice guy, the mean guy, the sincere guy... all tap dancing in their own way to get back in the shelter after going on binges.

Hamilton's family has heard this speech a million times. The fact that he needed to drink in public shows you how far he has slipped. He will relapse pretty soon because its what addicts do.

He shouldn't be treated any better then Holmes or any other guy who comes up short just because he says what we wan to hear.

I hope the guy believes what he is telling us but if you have an addict in your family or are friends of an addict you hope for the best but expect the worst.

Steelers>NFL
02-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Sad. Hope he rights the ship. He is in a very difficult spot.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I've lost too many friends to that battle. Pray for Josh Hamilton.

pittpete
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
"I just ask everybody who's watching and listening to pray for me and pray for my family as we go through this difficult time," Hamilton said. "Pray for me and pray for my family, because it never gets easy. It never gets easy."
I pray that he can stay off drugs and alcohol so he can stay a millionaire :roll:
All that physical talent wasted on a crackhead
Who the hell prays for me getting up 5 days a week to go to work for the last 23 and a half years.I do it for my family.
I wasnt going to post to this, but Im tired of druggies getting chance after chance like they are owed something.They choose thier life, let them live it.
Move this thread to off topic anyways :evil:

Shawn
02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
An addict will tell you whatever sounds good... He's only sorry because he was photographed doing it.

I feel bad he has an addiction but I've worked at homeless shelters and seen it first hand. The nice guy, the mean guy, the sincere guy... all tap dancing in their own way to get back in the shelter after going on binges.

Hamilton's family has heard this speech a million times. The fact that he needed to drink in public shows you how far he has slipped. He will relapse pretty soon because its what addicts do.

He shouldn't be treated any better then Holmes or any other guy who comes up short just because he says what we wan to hear.

I hope the guy believes what he is telling us but if you have an addict in your family or are friends of an addict you hope for the best but expect the worst.

It's really sad to see that this kind of ignorance still abounds in society. As a recovering alcoholic, and an addiction medicine physician I can tell you the picture you are painting is not accurate. I work with addicts every day. This almost sounds like a beef from an adult child of an alcoholic.

80%+ of the people I work with are in recovery. We have some with close to 40 years. Are they also about to "relapse soon"? As long as addiction is misunderstood, and addicts are treated as second class citizens people will continue to think this is about will power, or "being a good person". I won't go on a diatribe about the neurophysiology of addiction, but suffice it to say an addicts brain interprets mind altering chemicals as essential for life. Their brains react differently to mind altering chemicals, and it is described as an allergy.

So, is finding recovery tough? Absolutely. But, please don't paint a picture of addiction being homeless men trying to manipulate their way back into a shelter. Because, I work with doctors, lawyers, mothers, accountants, musicians, actors, grandmothers, etc every day. They do not look like the picture you are painting. And many of them do find, and keep recovery if they are willing to be honest and do the work we ask them to do.

As for Josh, my heart goes out to him. My recovery wasn't so public. I am glad I didn't have to deal with ignorant comments from the general public. I'm glad I had the loving support of my family, friends and co-workers.

Shawn
02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
"I just ask everybody who's watching and listening to pray for me and pray for my family as we go through this difficult time," Hamilton said. "Pray for me and pray for my family, because it never gets easy. It never gets easy."
I pray that he can stay off drugs and alcohol so he can stay a millionaire :roll:
All that physical talent wasted on a crackhead
Who the hell prays for me getting up 5 days a week to go to work for the last 23 and a half years.I do it for my family.
I wasnt going to post to this, but Im tired of druggies getting chance after chance like they are owed something.They choose thier life, let them live it.
Move this thread to off topic anyways :evil:

When I read comments from guys like Dizz, I realize his views have probably been jaded from something he has seen personally. I can understand that. When I read comments like these, I see someone who isn't really happy with how things are going in their own life. I just shake my head and hope you find what it is that you are looking for.

Shawn
02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I've lost too many friends to that battle. Pray for Josh Hamilton.

Amen.

papillon
02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
I never would wish anything like this on anyone and as a human being I hope that Josh Hamilton can get his life turned around. I don't wish him any more "luck" or good fortune than I do the guy that lives next door and isn't famous. I think that many people are only saying that Hamilton had everything going his way and could have possibly wasted it, where there are many people who start in a bad situation and have to deal with these types of problems.

I hope he gets it right, if he doesn't I won't lose any sleep over it. I wake up every day and make a conscious decision to do what is right for me, my wife and two kids and getting involved in drugs and alcohol isn't one of those decisions. Having great status in life doesn't mean he is more important than the man or woman living next door that is struggling. Personally, I'd rather help the neighbor that I know than the athlete that I don't know.

It's not harsh, it's not being cruel, it's having people be accountable to themselves, friends and family, Hamilton hasn't been accountable for a long time, it's time he steps up.

Pappy

Shawn
02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Pappy, accountability is certainly a big part of recovery. It helps get you through the rough patches with early cravings. Many people will say "Hamilton is wasting his talent", or "Josh has everything going for him". What some do not understand is that Josh's money and fame are a hinderance to his recovery. We say trouble is an alcoholics best friend. The problem, Josh has alot of insulation between him and the street. It makes it that much harder to find recovery.