PDA

View Full Version : First Post Ever!!! New OC candidate?

jerseyfresh
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
If the Steelers are waiting to talk to a coach of a superbowl team I have to believe it is the Giants.I also have to believe it would probably be Mike Sullivan, the Giants QB coach. He has coached Eli the past 2 years and the 5 previous years he was the wide receivers coach. Eli has had a superb season this year stats wise and has been lights out in the fourth quarter. Sullivan has also had a hand in developing the Giants young receiving corp, which probably rivals ours in talent. When Bradshaw is healthy,the Giants also have a really nice run/pass balance. Some of the more high powered offenses are in the NFC, the Giants being one of them, and I think that is the style he would bring to the Steelers. Anybody have any thoughts?

pittpete
02-03-2012, 11:31 PM
It could be the reason we're waiting.
Really dont know too much about the guy, but the Giant Receivers seemed to do pretty well while he was the WR coach.
I just don't feel right about taking another teams QB coach and promoting him as our new OC.
If we were rebuilding,probably take a chance.

BTW, welcome to the board.

fordfixer
02-04-2012, 01:01 AM
If the Steelers are waiting to talk to a coach of a superbowl team I have to believe it is the Giants.I also have to believe it would probably be Mike Sullivan, the Giants QB coach. He has coached Eli the past 2 years and the 5 previous years he was the wide receivers coach. Eli has had a superb season this year stats wise and has been lights out in the fourth quarter. Sullivan has also had a hand in developing the Giants young receiving corp, which probably rivals ours in talent. When Bradshaw is healthy,the Giants also have a really nice run/pass balance. Some of the more high powered offenses are in the NFC, the Giants being one of them, and I think that is the style he would bring to the Steelers. Anybody have any thoughts?
Welcome to the Planet :tt1

7 UP
02-04-2012, 01:53 AM
I dont know much about the guy. But this is the kind of candidate Im looking for. I would rather go with someone young with fresh ideas, than go with somebody used up who we all already know sucks.

SS Laser
02-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Here ya go from Giants.com.

Mike Sullivan is in his second season as the Giants’ quarterbacks coach after spending the previous six years coaching the team’s wide receivers.

Sullivan was the Jacksonville Jaguars’ offensive assistant in 2003 after spending the previous season as Jacksonville’s defensive quality control coach under Tom Coughlin. He was the only member of Coughlin’s coaching staff retained by the Jaguars in 2003.

Sullivan joined the Jaguars after nine years coaching in college football. He began his coaching career at Humboldt State in 1993. He also coached at Army (1995-96 and 1999-2000), Youngstown State (1997-98) and Ohio University (2001). In 1997, Youngstown State won the Division 1-AA national championship under Jim Tressel, who later won a title at Ohio State. At Ohio University, Sullivan coached the defensive backs and tutored the kick blocking units on the special teams.

Sullivan was a defensive back at Army, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1989. He also has a master’s degree from Humboldt State. Sullivan is a graduate of the U.S. Army Airborne, Ranger and Air Assault schools.

Sullivan recently earned his Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from Professor Louis Vintaloro at Perfomance Jiu-Jitsu Academy.

Sullivan and his wife, Julie, have two daughters, Carmen Enriqueta and Hope Carolyn. Sullivan was born in Santa Maria, Calif

Keyplay1
02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Certainly sounds very qualified. Just as all of the other coaches being discussed are. Sullivan sounds like the type of coach teams find a way to keep.

But the fact is the Steelers have been in house now since 2001. And since this is the first time I have ever had any real interest in who the next OC will be this thought occurred to me. Actually, the Steelers have been hiring their OC's several years prior to them getting appointed to the job. Fichtner would be no exception.

And yet again, as usual I am [or in this case will be] wrong in my guess as to what the Steelers will do since a couple weeks ago I did not think this would be the case.

steelblood
02-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I wonder if he has ever designed plays.

sd steel
02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Mike Sullivan is a great guy, (I know him and played college ball with him), he could be what Ben needs to bring his play to a higher level. That being said, I'm not sure Mike has the experience the Steelers are looking for in an OC. But I would welcome him with open arms. If you want to learn more about him google him and find the story about him and Greg Gadson, ( I blocked Greg daily, playing scout O my first 2 years of college ball). I'm also not sure Mike would be willing to leave NY.

Keyplay1
02-04-2012, 04:36 PM
sd steel said: "he could be what Ben needs to bring his play to a higher level. That being said, I'm not sure Mike has the experience the Steelers are looking for in an OC."

-----I just saw something that floored me. In response to someone saying how well the Giants run the ball the guy said "Yeah, right!" "The NY Giants were 32 in rushing." I laughed and figured this was impossible. But no it is so as I saw when I looked at the stats on nfl.com.

Rushing: Total yds------Att------Avg-------PPG

-----------1427/32-----411/22--3.5/32-----24.6/9

Passing--4734/5-------589/6---8.4/3-------24.6/9

What a coincidence. The rushing and passing attempts add to exactly 1000. Would that not be then be a 58.9% pass to run 41.1% ratio. [Not sure if that is correct.]

Anyway, it is clear where the Giants did the most damage. And since this guy is involved in that stuff it would seem his contribution was significant. But, is that enough to override the lack of OC experience as sd steel mentioned. I don't know?

What we should be doing is finding out what OC's do. WTHeck do they do anyway? Are they responsible for clock management? etc? Uhh! I have many questions on this. Could Kemo eventually become an OC?