PDA

View Full Version : It Ain't Clements

BigRob
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -clements/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/02/packers-stay-in-house-to-replace-joe-philbin-promote-clements/)

The Packers announced Thursday that they are staying in-house to replace outgoing offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. Quarterbacks coach Tom Clements received the promotion.

Packers.com calls it “the least surprising news of the NFL postseason.”

“Tom has been an integral part of our success and our staff, making it an obvious decision to promote him to offensive coordinator,” said head coach Mike McCarthy. “He has earned this opportunity and we look forward to continued offensive success in 2012.”

Philbin became the Dolphins’ head coach on January 20.

Clements spent the last six seasons overseeing the development of Aaron Rodgers. The Packers drafted Matt Flynn in 2008, and thanks at least in part to Clements’ tutelage, Flynn has played well enough in spot duty to garner a starting job in 2012 free agency.

McCarthy will continue to call the Packers’ offensive plays.

I am beginning to think it is going to be Fichtner now that Clements has been taken off the board. I think they were waiting/wanting to talk to Clements.

I wonder if they will wait til next week and talk to the Giants QB coach?

BradshawsHairdresser
02-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I hope they take another week, if necessary, and get it right.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I was hoping for Clements but fully expected him to stay with the Packers if they offered him the OC position.

Chadman
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Ed Bouchette's reporting it could still be Kirby Wilson if recovers in time from burns..

Also read that the Giants WR coach could be an option..

BigRob
02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Ed Bouchette's reporting it could still be Kirby Wilson if recovers in time from burns..

Also read that the Giants WR coach could be an option..

Good for Kirby if it happens, but I would be completely shocked.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Kirby Wilson? On one hand we have Randy Fichtner who has been an OC & has closely worked with our WR & Ben. On the other hand we have a RB coach nobody ever heard of before his name was surprisingly mentioned as the leading candidate for the OC job. Strange.

I wouldn't be a fan of this hire if he landed the gig.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I was hoping for Clements but fully expected him to stay with the Packers if they offered him the OC position.

If the Packers don't trust him enough at OC to let him call the plays, then maybe he wouldn't have been a good choice for the Steelers, either.

hawaiiansteel
02-03-2012, 02:57 AM

If the Packers don't trust him enough at OC to let him call the plays, then maybe he wouldn't have been a good choice for the Steelers, either.

I found this interesting as well, an OC who doesn't call the plays?

rockonsteel
02-03-2012, 09:01 AM

I don't think it's that at all. McCarthy just happens to be one of the rare HCs who likes to call his own plays, and is actually successful doing it. Clements I'm sure is gonna be involved heavily in the gameplanning and scheming during the week, and McCarthy prolly bounces things of his OC at different times during the game. And I'm sure if Clements has a suggestion about a play to run in game, McCarthy won't just dismiss him with a wave of his hand.

Plus, they said McCarthy let Clements call the plays in the Pro Bowl. No biggie there, but that may be an indication that McCarthy night be willing to turn some of that stuff over to his OC like Payton did the second half of the season.

Wish we could've gotten him. Oh well. Next.

Rockon

feltdizz
02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Letting him call plays in the ProBowl is like a Dad letting his kid drive in an empty parking lot.

SteelBucks
02-03-2012, 09:22 AM

I found this interesting as well, an OC who doesn't call the plays?

Bradshaw called his own plays....of course that was long ago.

rockonsteel
02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Letting him call plays in the ProBowl is like a Dad letting his kid drive in an empty parking lot.

True, but eventually driving in the parking lot turns into real road time, provided you don't broadside the grocery store while driving in the empty parking lot.

Rockon

feltdizz
02-03-2012, 10:29 AM

True, but eventually driving in the parking lot turns into real road time, provided you don't broadside the grocery store while driving in the empty parking lot.

Rockon

:D

phillyesq
02-03-2012, 10:36 AM

:Clap :Clap

Great analogy!