PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Wagner-- The Guy I like for ILB in the 2nd or 3rd

BigRob
02-02-2012, 04:16 PM
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6104

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner is another that has been much talked about after his performance at the Senior Bowl. Scouts loved his combination of athleticism and smarts. We presently rank Wagner as a 3rd rounder but have been told he will go much earlier than anyone presently predicts.

I am at the point of saying, pick BPA available in the first no matter the position and then start drafting for value/talent/need in the 2nd.

We don't need to draft an ILB in the first. Not good value at all historically in the first and it is a very deep ILB draft this year.

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Fantastic!! He should be fun to watch in 2014. :wink:

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Big Rob, out of all these guys what one player if any has the chance to come in on year one and start for the Steelers?

Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State
Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
Dontari Poe NT Memphis
Mark Barron SS Alabama
Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
Zach Brown OLB North Carolina
Donta' Hightower LB Alabama

This is probably who you are looking at for 24.

And you know my answer to this question.

BigRob
02-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I understand your position about year one starting.

But looking at this organization for the last several drafts, this head coach, and the purpose of the draft in my mind. I disagree with you.

The draft is about more than year 1, its about the future as well. This organization and head coach do not like to start rookies unless there is an injury or positional failure to do so.

At this point, We will bring back either Foote or Farrior. No ILB, not even Hightower, is going to come in and start next year at ILB.

ILB is terrible value in the first round. Other than Patrick Willis, what ILB has been drafted in the first round and been great value recently? I don't think Timmons was to be honest.

Factor in that this organization drafts YOUNG players from big schools with upside. Hightower just doesn't strike me as a Steeler pick. Also, besides Timmons when was the last time they drafted a LB in the first round?

BigRob
02-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Big Rob, out of all these guys what one player if any has the chance to come in on year one and start for the Steelers?

Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Dontari Poe NT Memphis
Mark Barron SS Alabama

I take Dennard and groom him for safety to be honest or Poe.

BigRob
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I also think Hightower is a second rounder once he runs the forty. If he is 4.8 or slower he is second round. You don't draft a 2 down linebacker in the first.

Shawn
02-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Dontari Poe NT Memphis
Mark Barron SS Alabama

Of that list Worthy and Hightower...and probably Poe could start day 1. BTW I really like Worthy.

Shawn
02-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I also think Hightower is a second rounder once he runs the forty. If he is 4.8 or slower he is second round. You don't draft a 2 down linebacker in the first.

I imagine Hightower will be a 4.68-4.76 kinda 40 guy. As much as I like Hightower I just don't think Tomlin is drooling over him. Tomlin likes those lean athletic LBrs. Seriously, look at the LBrs he has drafted. Hightower would be a Chuck Noll kinda LBr.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-02-2012, 04:59 PM

Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner is another that has been much talked about after his performance at the Senior Bowl. Scouts loved his combination of athleticism and smarts. We presently rank Wagner as a 3rd rounder but have been told he will go much earlier than anyone presently predicts.

I am at the point of saying, pick BPA available in the first no matter the position and then start drafting for value/talent/need in the 2nd.

We don't need to draft an ILB in the first. Not good value at all historically in the first and it is a very deep ILB draft this year.

Rob, I absolutely 110% agree with you. Wagner is as legit as any LB in the draft. We would be lucky to draft him at 2.24. From a talent/speed standpoint, Wagner exceeds Foote immediately. And I won't even start with Farrior.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Dee Dub-

Don't take this personally. This is just my opinion. But I think your views on Hightower's "value" are extremely over-rated. If I'm drafting an ILB at 1.24 the dude better be an f-ing beast against the rush AND the pass. Hightower has great size and length but he is extremely slow in coverage. This is not 2001. Offenses do not pound the rock anymore. It is a passing league. Teams will not run at Hightower they will get him matched up one on one with Gronkowski or Hernandez or Pitta or Gresham and he will get beat time after time just like Farrior and Foote. Wagner is significantly better then Hightower against the pass. Check out the film on both.

Oviedo
02-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Him, but my preference is Audie Cole. Tall and rangy who can jam up passing lanes and has good coverage skills.

Chadman
02-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Dontari Poe NT Memphis
Mark Barron SS Alabama

Even if there is a "Great Steeler Roster Cull of 2012" around the corner, the Steelers traditionally don't 'force' rookies into starting roles.

NT, OG, ILB- all those positions, while a 'need', will have a player in place that will be a starter, going into TC, ahead of the rookies.

While talking ILB- think back to last off-season. Texas Pro Day. Tomlin spends a long time yacking with Sam Acho. Likes him. High character type guy.

His brother is available in this draft. High character guy. Big college program. ILB...just sayin'...

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Of that list Worthy and Hightower...and probably Poe could start day 1. BTW I really like Worthy.

Worthy hasnt always given a 100%. He has been known for taking a lot of plays off.

focosteeler
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
Dontari Poe NT Memphis
Mark Barron SS Alabama

I think I would take Dontari Poe, if they truely are serious about bulking up ziggy and moving him to NT Poe can backup heyward and keisel. I think Poe has the best potential out of all of them.

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Dee Dub-

Don't take this personally. This is just my opinion. But I think your views on Hightower's "value" are extremely over-rated. If I'm drafting an ILB at 1.24 the dude better be an f-ing beast against the rush AND the pass. Hightower has great size and length but he is extremely slow in coverage. This is not 2001. Offenses do not pound the rock anymore. It is a passing league. Teams will not run at Hightower they will get him matched up one on one with Gronkowski or Hernandez or Pitta or Gresham and he will get beat time after time just like Farrior and Foote. Wagner is significantly better then Hightower against the pass. Check out the film on both.

No I donít take it personal. I think you are the one doing the over-rating. Name me one ILB who was drafted at 24 or lower that came in year one and was this beast at both the run and pass? Sorry but those are the guys who go in the top ten.

And if you have paid attention I have said Hightower is a 28-35 and I would prefer to trade down to get him but I donít want to lose him to Baltimore or New England.

And if you watched Hightower in Alabama's 3-4 zone blitz he didn't play "extremely slow" in coverage. Is he elite at it? No...but he didn't play "extremely slow?"

focosteeler
02-02-2012, 06:46 PM

why not go BPA (Poe) in the 1st and 2 O-lineman in the 2nd/3rd and in the 4th (or later) draft.....

Miles Burris from SDSU

[youtube:nlro9gdj]RtlONCH8jPA[/youtube:nlro9gdj]

watch the whole thing....this is just 2010

Lebsteel
02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Against LSU I thought Hightower looked very good in coverage as well as rushing the qb. I like him or Glenn at 24.

Dresden
02-02-2012, 11:58 PM

why not go BPA (Poe) in the 1st and 2 O-lineman in the 2nd/3rd and in the 4th (or later) draft.....

Miles Burris from SDSU

[youtube:30alaveh]RtlONCH8jPA[/youtube:30alaveh]

watch the whole thing....this is just 2010

I'm all in on Burris Foco. This kid is going to be a Monster as a pro IMO.

Great strength, awareness, will, instincts, intensity, technique and athleticism. The way he also almost absolutely physically disregards blockers when attacking anyone with the football is also striking to me to say the least.

I'm higher on this kid than any other backer in this entire draft

BradshawsHairdresser
02-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Report on Burris:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pro ... urris.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-of-the-day-San-Diego-State-LB-Miles-Burris.html)

I wouldn't mind the Steelers taking him if he's available in round 4 or later. Would be an instant special teams star, IMO, and could be coached up to step into the LB rotation in another year.

Dresden
02-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Report on Burris:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pro ... urris.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-of-the-day-San-Diego-State-LB-Miles-Burris.html)

I wouldn't mind the Steelers taking him if he's available in round 4 or later. Would be an instant special teams star, IMO, and could be coached up to step into the LB rotation in another year.

Personally Bradshaw,....i don't think there is any way this kid is still on the boards in the 4th or later.

Shawn
02-03-2012, 04:21 AM

Worthy hasnt always given a 100%. He has been known for taking a lot of plays off.

I watch Big Ten ball exclusively. I kept my eye on Worthy because of our NT need. If Worthy got the rap for disappearing it's because he plays to free up linebackers...takes on double teams.

BTW-same was said about Heyward.

focosteeler
02-03-2012, 04:26 AM
Report on Burris:

Personally Bradshaw,....i don't think there is any way this kid is still on the boards in the 4th or later.

I never want to wish bad on these guys, but i find myself hoping players i want have a poor showing at the combine so they fall in the draft for us :?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Wagner had a very good Senior Bowl. I would be pleased if the Steelers draft him. I looks like it will have to be the Steelers 2nd round pick.

Burris is another Steeler type of LB who could rush the QB from any spot on the field. When I watch film on him I see some pretty impressive instincts. Was a highly ranked ILB coming out of High School & very athletic. When I watch him or see pictures of him, It looks like he has very good arm length. He seems to be able to keep blockers off his body & get through the garbage and find the ball. There is enough game tape on him to solidify a 3rd or 4th round grade in my opinion. The only thing that could hurt his stock is if he doesn't measure in the 6'2"-6'3" range where he is reported. If that is accurate, he could be a riser.

Chadman
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
JPN- just stick with the ILB in your mock- Bradham looks a real player.

feltdizz
02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Against LSU I thought Hightower looked very good in coverage as well as rushing the qb. I like him or Glenn at 24.

Everyone on Alabama's D looked good against LSU in the title game. The QB wouldn't throw the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
It seems like there are a ton of linebackers we could go after if we don't go for a Hightower or Burfict in round 1...Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Audie Cole, Bobby Wagner, Miles Burris, Shea McClellan, James-Michael Johnson, Mychal Kendricks, Nigel Bradham, Emmanuel Acho, Tank Carder, Jonathan Massoquoi, etc.

Chadman
02-04-2012, 11:00 PM
It seems like there are a ton of linebackers we could go after if we don't go for a Hightower or Burfict in round 1...Zach Brown, Lavonte David, Audie Cole, Bobby Wagner, Miles Burris, Shea McClellan, James-Michael Johnson, Mychal Kendricks, Nigel Bradham, Emmanuel Acho, Tank Carder, Jonathan Massoquoi, etc.

Was actually thinking about this while mowing the Chadlawn yesterday. One thing that seemed to be missing last season was 'passion'. James Harrison played very subdued. Farrior didn't look to be lighting the fires within.

Maybe as the players get older, the 'passion' starts to wane. Not saying they don't WANT to win- but they are not in there, pumping the other players up, getting the competitive juices flowing, the way Joey Porter used to.

So Chadman thought- who is the fieriest rookie ILB that could light up the team, get them pumped on the field? Burfict is an obvious choice. Chadman would actually prefer him to Hightower in the 1st. Later picks though- Tank Carder & James-Michael Johnson could be interesting. Or Ronell Lewis in the 2nd. Or what about Kentucky's Danny Trevathan? Kevin Reddick perhaps?

Or there's always the guy the Steelers have already talked to- Shea McClellin..

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2012, 10:10 AM
mowing the Chadlawn

I hope this is actual lawnmowing outside and not some new euphemism for "manscaping."

http://doubledumbassonyou.com/images/manolantern.jpg

KELLY CLARKSON!!! :lol: