PDA

View Full Version : Who is good enough to be our OC?

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Just sayin :stirpot

All these discussions remind me of a chick who breaks up with her boyfriend because all her friends have "better" guys... but as soon as she starts the dating process she finds a ton of reasons to hate the new guys. When she hears the ex found a new chick she makes fun of their relationship but in the back of her mind she wonders...... "was he really that bad?" 8)

Now that we are "single" it sounds like most fans don't want whats available and covet what we have no chance of getting.

Will we give the new OC a chance to succeed or is it SB or bust?

costanza2k1
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
In short no one is, opinions are formed on what is heard in a bar, radio station, & blogs these days. No one will ever be good enough, we are spoiled and we have access to too much information. We've been to 3 SBs since Ben has been around yet we still find away to complain about it. Other teams would die to have our players yet we're ready to cut them on some Mondays. Ah the life of a very successful Steelers fan!

I don't know about anyone else losing the SB and losing to Teblow I'm hungry for the season again. I didn't think it was possible to get that feeling back, but it's back. Heck I even did 1/2 a situp this morning in preparation for the combine. lol

ikestops85
02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Just sayin :stirpot

All these discussions remind me of a chick who breaks up with her boyfriend because all her friends have "better" guys... but as soon as she starts the dating process she finds a ton of reasons to hate the new guys. When she hears the ex found a new chick she makes fun of their relationship but in the back of her mind she wonders...... "was he really that bad?" 8)

Now that we are "single" it sounds like most fans don't want whats available and covet what we have no chance of getting.

Will we give the new OC a chance to succeed or is it SB or bust?

Welcome to Steeler Nation :wink:

sd steel
02-02-2012, 12:39 PM
The answer is obvious in my opinion.......ME! :tt2

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Not sure if it was Pap or Chadman but they always asked "If not Arians, then who?"

Plenty of people who wanted Arians gone used OC's of elite QB's as the standard.... but those guys aren't available.... well, maybe Clements is but do we really know if he is a good OC?

fezziwig
02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure who is or will be good enough to get the most out of the talented bunch we have on our Steeler offense but, it sure wasn't Arians.

Arians is going to get a pass for a while with the Colts because it will be considered a rebuilding situation. Possibly he will be with a rookie QB too. When they finally figure out Arian has as much right to coach an offense as a porcupine has to run a ballon factory they'll get rid of him.
Then there will be the following season without Arians and the team has success. Arian lovers will claim it was due all to him.

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I trust in whomever the Steelers choose. They are way smarter than me when it comes to football decisions.

All i ask is that it be someone who actually has played the game.

And there are a lot of candidates out there who fit that description.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I trust in whomever the Steelers choose. They are way smarter than me when it comes to football decisions.

I just ask that it be someone who knows what he's doing. There are a lot of potential candidates out there (even ex-players, believe it or not) who DON'T fit THAT description.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure who is or will be good enough to get the most out of the talented bunch we have on our Steeler offense but, it sure wasn't Arians.

Arians is going to get a pass for a while with the Colts because it will be considered a rebuilding situation. Possibly he will be with a rookie QB too. When they finally figure out Arian has as much right to coach an offense as a porcupine has to run a ballon factory they'll get rid of him.
Then there will be the following season without Arians and the team has success. Arian lovers will claim it was due all to him.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6Ec-3pWxm28/TA5DULwuilI/AAAAAAAAHPs/P0kczN_AZA0/s400/men-obsession+for+men.jpg

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 02:12 PM

That is a really bad requirement on multiple levels. 8)

Eich
02-02-2012, 02:16 PM

I just ask that it be someone who knows what he's doing. There are a lot of potential candidates out there (even ex-players, believe it or not) who DON'T fit THAT description.

I agree. And more than likely, anyone who's studied enough and is interested and talented enough to coach in the NFL has played the game on SOME level (College, High School, Playground).

I also think that if you get someone who played the game for too long, they can be biased towards what they did or were asked to do and how they were asked to do it. Effective coaching is a unique talent. Singletary was a great player. Didn't seem to translate well to coaching.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 02:18 PM

I agree. And more than likely, anyone who's studied enough and is interested and talented enough to coach in the NFL has played the game on SOME level (College, High School, Playground).

I also think that if you get someone who played the game for too long, they can be biased towards what they did or were asked to do and how they were asked to do it. Effective coaching is a unique talent. Singletary was a great player. Didn't seem to translate well to coaching.

some guys are horrible at athletics but are great at coaching athletes... not saying Haley is great but he made it to the NFL.

Heck, I think it says a lot about a guy who knows he isn't good at playing the game and jumps into coaching due to the lack of skill or athleticism.

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Ok if that isnt enough for you simply go by the fact that Haley failed as a head coach..and while at Arizona as O-coordinator it was more of Whisenhunt's calls than it was his.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Ok if that isnt enough for you simply go by the fact that Haley failed as a head coach..and while at Arizona as O-coordinator it was more of Whisenhunt's calls than it was his.

I can go with that all day long...

his coaching history is all that matters and if he stinks I don't want him. Not playing pee wee or HS football is of no concern to me.

Keyplay1
02-02-2012, 03:41 PM
A little quiz on the OC topic. [Based on info from thread page 1]

Fill in the blank. It does not have to the ex-OC Bruce Arians. a WHY? is optional.

1. ------------------- has as much right to coach an offense as a porcupine has to run a ballon factory.

Name some who do/do not fit the following description.

2. Someone who knows what he's doing.[KWHD] There are a lot of potential candidates out there (even ex-players, believe it or not) who DON'T fit THAT description.[DNKWHD]

"Plenty of people who wanted Arians gone used OC's of elite QB's as the standard"

3. Name some OC's who had success with below elite class QB's or sub-standard sorts?

True or False.

4. "I trust in whomever the Steelers choose. They are way smarter than me when it comes to football decisions." T or F

True or False.

5. "if you get someone who played the game for too long, they can be biased towards what they did or were asked to do and how they were asked to do it." T or F

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 03:49 PM

By definition, Haley was the one who designed the offense and the offensive game plan...

Did Whisenhunt call plays? Yes...but there was a point where he handed that off to Haley, IIRC...

Be that as it may, Whis called the plays that Haley wrote for the game plan...

flippy
02-02-2012, 04:18 PM
They should turn it into a reality show like "Wife Swap".

2 Teams. 2 OC's. And swap them with each other for a week. See if they learn anything from the new guy. And then at the end, everyone runs out of a limo to embrace each other. And they remember how fondly they love one another. And then sit at a table and throw digs at one another.

BigRob
02-02-2012, 04:25 PM
http://picchore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/todd-haley-animated-gif.gif

Oviedo
02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
In short no one is, opinions are formed on what is heard in a bar, radio station, & blogs these days. No one will ever be good enough, we are spoiled and we have access to too much information. We've been to 3 SBs since Ben has been around yet we still find away to complain about it. Other teams would die to have our players yet we're ready to cut them on some Mondays. Ah the life of a very successful Steelers fan!

I don't know about anyone else losing the SB and losing to Teblow I'm hungry for the season again. I didn't think it was possible to get that feeling back, but it's back. Heck I even did 1/2 a situp this morning in preparation for the combine. lol

:Agree Complaints about whoever the next OC will be can start in 3...2...1...

tiproast
02-02-2012, 11:16 PM
For a long time, it seemed to me (as a fan of a different team) that the Steelers drafted players they thought would best fit in with the system they ran on offense. This was pretty successful for quite a number of years.

Lately, it seems that the Steelers are adapting their offense to suit the players they have. They're no longer a run-first team, although running is still an important part of the offense. And that too has been very successful. Good talent + good coaching is the recipe for long-term success; indeed, it's the only way to prosper in professional sports.

I see that the Steelers' owner, and many of the fans, want to return to the run-first philosophy. But it doesn't seem as if the talent-base is currently skewed that way. Of course, all that could change quickly - e.g. one team's good draft with two dominant tight-ends recently changed the thinking of a lot of offensive coaches.