PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Sports Writers....

Mister Pittsburgh
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
This is the sort of sloppy writing that really annoys me. I highlight the sentences in red that do it for me, put me over the top, not to mention the title is just made up. Was Dulac told by a team source he was not likely to get the job? Is it just his own personal feeling? Is this what writing is all about these days? Well I feel this is how things are so now I will present it like its a fact. Where did you get the info Gerry? Below this article is another....

Haley interviews, unlikely to get Arians' job

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair native, is the latest candidate to interview for the Steelers' vacant offensive coordinator position. But the possibility of him being hired to replace Bruce Arians seems remote.

Haley, the son of former Steelers personnel director Dick Haley, was at the South Side facility Tuesday to meet with coach Mike Tomlin -- an interview uncharacteristically announced on the team's website.

Haley is the second former head coach to interview for the position. Former Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell was at the Steelers facility Saturday. Caldwell never was offered the position and agreed Monday to become the Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach.

Haley's interview was something of a surprise because he has a reputation for not getting along with players and coaches. He was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals when they lost against the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

Meantime, Arians was announced Tuesday as the new offensive coordinator in Indianapolis, a move that came 10 days after the Steelers announced he had decided to retire. But Arians, 59, was not offered a contract to return in 2012 and never intended to retire. He considered several jobs, including quarterbacks coach in Arizona, before joining the Colts.

The Colts also announced they have signed former Steelers assistant offensive line coach Harold Goodwin as their offensive line coach.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm

In this piece we are led to believe that Haley is not only the leading candidate, after all of two interviews, but also the flippin' likely choice!!!

Steelers interview former Chiefs coach Haley for offensive coordinator job

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Steelers confirmed Tuesday they interviewed former Kansas City head coach Todd Haley for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

Haley, who was fired shortly after the Chiefs dropped a 13-9 decision to the Steelers this past season, appears the leading candidate to replace Bruce Arians.

Arians, whose contract with the Steelers expired, agreed Monday to take over as Indianapolis' offensive coordinator.

Coach Mike Tomlin interviewed Haley a day after the Steelers reached an agreement with linebackers coach Keith Butler, who was scheduled to interview with the Colts for their vacant defensive coordinator position.

Haley, 45, had been courted by Arizona and the New York Jets the past few weeks. He was let go after the Chiefs struggled to a 5-8 record, partly because of key injuries ó including quarterback Matt Cassel and leading rusher Jamaal Charles.

Haley, an Upper St. Clair native, is the son of former Steelers director of pro personnel Dick Haley. He was an NFL assistant for 10 years before taking over in Kansas City in 2009, began his coaching career as a wide receivers coach for the Jets before moving on to Chicago, Dallas and Arizona.

In Arizona, Haley was the Cardinals' offensive coordinator when the Steelers defeated Arizona in Super Bowl XLIII. He compiled a 19-26 record in Kansas City, including a 10-6 mark in 2010 when he led the Chiefs to the AFC West title.

The Steelers continued their search for a successor to Arians after former Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell took the position of quarterbacks coach with Baltimore. Haley could be the likely choice, but the Steelers may also interview several other candidates, including Green Bay quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner.
Also, the Steelers have given Tampa Bay permission to talk with defensive assistant Jerry Olsavsky, who was considered a candidate to become the team's defensive coordinator before Butler rejected the Colts' offer.

Harold Goodwin, who had been an offensive assistant with the Steelers since 2007, joined Indianapolis yesterday as offensive line coach. Goodwin began his NFL coaching career as an assistant offensive line coach with the Bears.

Haley has a challenge waiting if he takes over a Steelers offense that was 12th in the NFL in yards in 2011 but only 21st in points. The Chiefs, though, were 27th in offense this past season, in part, because several of their offensive weapons were sidelined with injuries.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 79321.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_779321.html)

And below is the best one of all where we are only interviewing him as a courtesy since his daddy worked for the Rooney's....good old Florio....crappiest writer/gossiper/crap stirrer going these days....Florio must pop wood anytime anything Steelers hits his ear canals so he can dream up how to twist it to appear negatively...like 'media circles' hang out with this creep....by 'media circles' he means his mom at the round dinner table he eats at when he creeps up out of her basement where he lives....He states we interviewed him to generate some interest for him elsewhere....then the next flippin' paragraph say the Cards and Jets are interested....Florio...you are a turd!

Todd Haley interviews with Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on January 31, 2012, 11:32 PM EST

Apparently, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin learned enough about Todd Haley while doing homework on the former Chiefs coach to decide to learn even more about him during a face-to-face meeting.

The Steelers announced on the teamís official website that Tomlin interviewed Haley on Tuesday at the practice facility in Pittsburgh.

Thereís some scuttlebutt in media circles that Tomlin and the Steelers are considering Haley as a courtesy, given that his father played for the Steelers in the 1960s and thereafter worked in the teamís front office. Todd Haley once served as a Steelers ball boy. Even if the Steelers arenít interested in hiring Haley, interviewing him ó and declaring that they have done so via the teamís website ó could help him generate interest elsewhere.

Haleyís name has been mentioned in connection with the Jets and the Cardinals. Though his contract with Kansas City ran through 2012, the Chiefs reportedly have cut off his payments. If thatís true, he has plenty of reasons (possibly several million) to be looking for a job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/31/todd-haley-interviews-with-steelers/)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Wexell reacted to the last one on Twitter.

@jimwexell
James C Wexell @skijazman "who has most input and/or final say on OC hire?" -- it's all Tomlin. Idea that Rooney forced Haley interview is ludicrous.

flippy
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Their writing style reminds me of my own.....all over the place.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-01-2012, 03:24 PM
If I would of known being a sports writer was that easy, basically what I do here, come up with an opinion and sell it as fact, then I would of changed my major in college in a heartbeat. On top of getting paid for making crap up, you have access to sporting events! And Ed Bouchette and the gang act all angry at the world like their lives suck!

flippy
02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
If I would of known being a sports writer was that easy, basically what I do here, come up with an opinion and sell it as fact, then I would of changed my major in college in a heartbeat. On top of getting paid for making crap up, you have access to sporting events! And Ed Bouchette and the gang act all angry at the world like their lives suck!

People sell stuff on here? :shock:

Heck it's even easier. They just come read what we're talking about and then polish up that turd.

costanza2k1
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
All of these writers just guess, when they nail one right they come back and say I told you so. No one ever goes back and says they screwed one up.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 03:37 PM
What makes it worse is someone will use Cook's or Douchette's "opinion" in an article as fact.

costanza2k1
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
It seems to me the local PGH media is following the rest of the sports worlds and going for the shock writer (enquirer) type stuff. I for one don't like the Florio tactics these guys seem to be following. I like what Wexell, Labriola, and Labriola put out. The rest of the guys seem to hate their jobs more than they had their own moobies.

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I like what Wexell, Labriola, and Labriola put out.

Does this mean that you like Labriola twice as much as Wexell? :wink:

costanza2k1
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I like what Wexell, Labriola, and Labriola put out.

Does this mean that you like Labriola twice as much as Wexell? :wink:

:moon

yes :lol:

meant to say Lolley

flippy
02-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I thought you meant Labia.

For some reason I had to re-read it to see what you said :)

SteelCrazy
02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
It's not the writers fault, it's the NFL's. If the NFL would hold these guys accountable they wouldnt do it. It used to work only if you could produce a source if questioned, but now its just tabloid journalism. All of us here could write for these rags.

costanza2k1
02-02-2012, 11:51 AM

whoa flippster! :lol:

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
It's not the writers fault, it's the NFL's. If the NFL would hold these guys accountable they wouldnt do it. It used to work only if you could produce a source if questioned, but now its just tabloid journalism. All of us here could write for these rags.

how can you hold guys accountable for giving their opinions?

when it was reported that we hired Russ Grimm and fired BA a few years ago that was shady journalism.

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Does this mean that you like Labia twice as much as Wexell? :Boobs :Boobs :lol:

fordfixer
02-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Does this mean that you like Labia twice as much as Wexell? :Boobs :Boobs :lol:
He would need to know how much Wexell likes I guess :?: