PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Art Rooney Jr,....

Dresden
02-01-2012, 01:01 AM
I salute you Sir for taking command of and an active role in the health and or wellbeing of this Franchise. I applaud your efforts and hope that you continue to "shake things up" when necessary. :Steel

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-01-2012, 01:07 AM
I salute you Sir for taking command of and an active role in the health and or wellbeing of this Franchise. I applaud your efforts and hope that you continue to "shake things up" when necessary. :Steel

I'll second that.

Except, for your sig. I would not take another guy from UT. Statistically, he will turn out to be a head case.

Shawn
02-01-2012, 11:07 AM

I'll second that.

Except, for your sig. I would not take another guy from UT. Statistically, he will turn out to be a head case.

I agree. I believe we should only draft Buckeyes. :mrgreen:

mazze
02-01-2012, 11:56 AM

After growing up in MD and watching what Angelos has done to the Orioles for the last 17 years I'm quite skeptical of an owner making personnel decisions. Similar examples are the Redskins under Snyder and the 80's Yankees under Steinbrenner.

grotonsteel
02-01-2012, 11:57 AM

After growing up in MD and watching what Angelos has done to the Orioles for the last 17 years I'm quite skeptical of an owner making personnel decisions. Similar examples are the Redskins under Snyder and the 80's Yankees under Steinbrenner.

:Agree

Let GM and Coach do their job.

mazze
02-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Exactly.
You pay people that know football to do a job, let them.

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
The thing is, Art Rooney is a different kind of owner from Daniel Snyder...

Snyder is a fan who made a lot of money and bought a real-life fantasy football team...

Art Rooney is a guy who had a family business passed down to him, who has been around a professional football team for literally his entire life...

Art Rooney IS a football guy...he's an NFL guy...

While I may question him refusing to allow Tomlin to retain Arians, the reason isn't because he's some meddling owner who doesn't know football...

JAR
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
You want him to be a Jerry Jones? :roll:

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM

I'm saying it's not possible for him to be a Jerry Jones...

Jerry Jones first became associated with the Dallas Cowboys in 1989, at the age of 46, after a career as a successful businessman and entrepreneur...

Art Rooney first became associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers on September 14th, 1952...

JAR
02-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Jerry Jones first became associated with the Dallas Cowboys in 1989, at the age of 46, after a career as a successful businessman and entrepreneur...

Art Rooney first became associated with the Pittsburgh Steelers on September 14th, 1952...

:lol:

Leper Friend
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM

:?: :?: :?:

Why's that funny ? The 2 aren't comparable at all .

The point being , Rooney IS a football guy , always has been . Jerry Jones , Snyder and some others are businessmen who have transitioned into football.

I , for one , totally agree with the ts. Rooney can identify that the offense can be alot better and that his 100 million dollar investment won't last another 5 years the way things are.

It would be easy to do nothing. You have one of the most popular franchises in sports , you're competitive every year , you sellout every game.As an owner , why would you want any change ?

The reason is, that being a football guy , he can see the offense is making no progress. We're lucky to have him.besided , I bet these decisions are made more often then we know by ownership. this one is just more public.

ramblinjim
02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
how about when Dan over-ruled coach Cowher and picked Big Ben? I don't mind an owner who occasionally puts his two cents in. Living in Washington and seeing Snyder is one thing but an owner who sees something over and over and over again and finally decides to try something new, that's not exactly terrible.

Jooser
02-01-2012, 01:33 PM

Exactly.

LMAO, the Rooneys don't know football? Thanks, I needed a laugh today and that was just the fix I was craving.

JAR
02-01-2012, 01:46 PM

:?: :?: :?:

Why's that funny ? The 2 aren't comparable at all .

The point being , Rooney IS a football guy , always has been . Jerry Jones , Snyder and some others are businessmen who have transitioned into football.

I , for one , totally agree with the ts. Rooney can identify that the offense can be alot better and that his 100 million dollar investment won't last another 5 years the way things are.

It would be easy to do nothing. You have one of the most popular franchises in sports , you're competitive every year , you sellout every game.As an owner , why would you want any change ?

The reason is, that being a football guy , he can see the offense is making no progress. We're lucky to have him.besided , I bet these decisions are made more often then we know by ownership. this one is just more public.

I meant the way Jones meddles in everything. The Rooney's have made a lot of decisions over the years, but never to the point of Jones or Snyder.

Keyplay1
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
As far as the posts go I probably agree and disagree with all of them as usual. Since I have no opinions on hardly anything.

But in the interests of accuracy I must point out that I'm pretty sure you are referring to AR II.

Arthur Rooney Jr. is probably now close to 80 years old and is Dan Rooney's brother. Don't feel lonesome. I had them all mixed up for many many years. But, several years ago I finally straightened it out. Somewhere around the time the Rooney's had to comply with the NFL rules about conflicting ownership or something. Anyway the current president of the Steelers is Dan's son AR 2.

Dee Dub
02-01-2012, 03:07 PM

I'll second that.

I think Gideon will be a better pro than collegiate. He doesn't do anything spectacular but he is one of those football players who just gets the job done. I think he will be a good surprise for someone at the next level.

You mean like Vernon Gholston, Ted Ginn JR., Ryan Pickett, Ahmed Plummer, David Boston, Andy Katenzenmoyer, Rickey Dudley, Craig Powell, and Dan Wilkinson?

Thee Ohio State University of 1st round busts. :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
how about when Dan over-ruled coach Cowher and picked Big Ben? I don't mind an owner who occasionally puts his two cents in. Living in Washington and seeing Snyder is one thing but an owner who sees something over and over and over again and finally decides to try something new, that's not exactly terrible.

$$$$
Funny how nobody ever complains about Dan Rooney butting in to take Ben. Imagine if he'd have sat on his hands in that situation? Do you think we'd have gone to three Super Bowls since then, and won two, if we'd picked Shawn Andrews instead of Roethlisberger?

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
As far as the posts go I probably agree and disagree with all of them as usual. Since I have no opinions on hardly anything.

But in the interests of accuracy I must point out that I'm pretty sure you are referring to AR II.

Arthur Rooney Jr. is probably now close to 80 years old and is Dan Rooney's brother. Don't feel lonesome. I had them all mixed up for many many years. But, several years ago I finally straightened it out. Somewhere around the time the Rooney's had to comply with the NFL rules about conflicting ownership or something. Anyway the current president of the Steelers is Dan's son AR 2.

If you are referring to the OP, you are, of course, correct. The President of the Pittsburgh Steelers is the oldest son of Dan Rooney, and therefore incapable of being Art Rooney, Jr.

I submitted the date of 9/14/52 as the day when AR II became associated with the franchise because that's his date of birth..

Ghost
02-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Snyder is a fan who made a lot of money and bought a real-life fantasy football team...

Art Rooney is a guy who had a family business passed down to him, who has been around a professional football team for literally his entire life...

While I may question him refusing to allow Tomlin to retain Arians, the reason isn't because he's some meddling owner who doesn't know football...

Total $$. Anyone inferring Art doesn't know what he is doing is an imbecile. He's spent a lifetime doing nothing but working in the football business. He's forgotten more about building a team than anyone posting here currently knows. Just Read Dan's autobiography.

fezziwig
02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Didn't Dan rooney want Marino and Noll didn't agree ?

I'm glad Art II spoke up. The guy knows his stuff and is hungry for more Super Bowls. He must have realized that Ben was going to eventually killed , injured beyond repair. He also realizes that, he has a team with a lot of talent that, hasn't gotten to the promise land on offense that they should be reaching with the talented players that we have.

I also believe he didn't want an OC that allows Ben to call the shots, changes the plays or plays injured.

People get wrapped up in Arians because he was apart of two Super Bowls as a OC but, tell me Arians influence on the busted plays that usually got us our wins or better yet, Bens ability to make things happen out of the pocket. That's all Ben and the receivers not, a well prepared OC.

If Arians making it to two Super Bowls qualifies him as a good coach then, the Ravens should have kept their QB their Super Bowl year.

We've been winning with great defenses, Bens ability to scramble and pretty good receivers.

DNA = Don't Need Arians

My hat off to Art the 2nd, he wasn't going to allow this talent to age, retire or be wasted by a guy that can't see the forest through the trees.

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 08:01 PM

I thougt it was cool that Dan dragged Art II to the facilities and stadiums for practices and to be a ball boy...but then, Art II was told in no uncertain terms by Dan and The Chief that he was not promised a position in the family business...he had to earn it...
Total $$. Anyone inferring Art doesn't know what he is doing to an imbecile. He's spent a lifetime doing nothing but working in the football business. He's forgotten more about building a team than anyone posting here currently knows. Just Read Dan's autobiography.

SteelCrazy
02-01-2012, 11:59 PM

I'll second that.

I think Gideon will be a better pro than collegiate. He doesn't do anything spectacular but he is one of those football players who just gets the job done. I think he will be a good surprise for someone at the next level.

You mean like Vernon Gholston, Ted Ginn JR., Ryan Pickett, Ahmed Plummer, David Boston, Andy Katenzenmoyer, Rickey Dudley, Craig Powell, and Dan Wilkinson?

I think he meant the likes of Orlando Pace, Robert Smith, Eddie George, A.J Hawk, Chris Gamble, James Laurinaitis, Paul Warfield, Nick Mangold, Jack Tatum, Chris Spielman, Chris Carter

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 01:39 PM

I'll second that.

I think he meant the likes of Orlando Pace, Robert Smith, Eddie George, A.J Hawk, Chris Gamble, James Laurinaitis, Paul Warfield, Nick Mangold, Jack Tatum, Chris Spielman, Chris Carter

So we can only count the good Buckeye first round picks? They seem to have a lot of busts...but that is Ohio State...looking the other direction away from the bad. :wink:

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
[quote=Dresden]I salute you Sir for taking command of and an active role in the health and or wellbeing of this Franchise. I applaud your efforts and hope that you continue to "shake things up" when necessary. :Steel

I'll second that.

So we can only count the good Buckeye first round picks? They seem to have a lot of busts...but that is Ohio State...looking the other direction away from the bad. :wink:[/quote:38xud2c9]

For every Troy Polamalu, there is a Matt Leinart...

It happens at every school, not just Ohio State... :wink:

SteelCrazy
02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
[quote=Dresden]I salute you Sir for taking command of and an active role in the health and or wellbeing of this Franchise. I applaud your efforts and hope that you continue to "shake things up" when necessary. :Steel

I'll second that.

So we can only count the good Buckeye first round picks? They seem to have a lot of busts...but that is Ohio State...looking the other direction away from the bad. :wink:[/quote:3r5959zh]

Youu were listing only the bad so I went the other way. I'm wrong though............

Discipline of Steel
02-03-2012, 07:51 AM

Exactly.

Guiding Coach Tomlin on the employment of an offensive coordinator who fits the Steeler mindset is totally different than going out and purchasing players for your team. Absolutely the proper time for an owner to step in and put a halt to things that arent working.

feltdizz
02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
the Ravens should have kept their QB their Super Bowl year.

Kyle Boller agrees :roll:

ikestops85
02-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Why would Kyle Boller agree :?:

feltdizz
02-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Why would Kyle Boller agree :?:

I could see Kyle Boller thinking this when he was the QB and people brought up the Trent Dilfer's SB ring.

and Kyle Boller sucked...

Giving a QB or an OC ZERO credit when they have a SB ring is hilarious.. especially when the Raven's fell back to earth and were ehhh.. for years after Trent left. Not saying he was awesome or the reason they won but he did what he was asked to do... protect the ball and don't lose the game.