PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley at South Side

steelerkeylargo
01-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Haley was interviewed today. Clemments tomorrow.

SteelBucks
01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Hope Clements isn't using the Steelers as a bargaining chip with the Packers.

costanza2k1
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
I think the McCarthy still calls the plays in GB, he has ties here...he may end up being the man. (Clemments)

Chadman
01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Haley, Clements, Fitchner..

Given that Arians was removed because Rooney wants a more "Blue Collar Offense", who do you really think fits the bosses memo?

Fitchner with his spread offense?

Clements the QB coach?

Or Haley who had great success running the ball in KC?

If Haley isn't the OC, Chadman wonders if the Rooney's are getting what they want...

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Haley interviews for Steelers' vacant OC job

By Ralph N. Paulk, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Steelers confirmed today they have interviewed former Kansas City head coach Todd Haley for the vacant offensive coordinator position.

Haley, who was fired shortly after the Chiefs dropped a 13-9 decision to the Steelers this past season, appears the leading candidate to replaced Bruce Arians. Arians, whose contract with the Steelers expired, agreed Monday to take over as offensive coordinator with Indianapolis.

Haley`s interview comes a day after the Steelers resigned linebackers coach Keith Butler. Butler had planned to interview today with the Colts.

Haley, 45, had been courted by Arizona and the Jets. Haley led the Chiefs to the AFC West title in 2010, but was let go after the Chiefs struggled to a 5-8 record, partly because of key injuries.

Haley, son of former Steelers director of pro personnel, Dick Haley, had been assistant for 10 years before taking over in Kansas City. He began his coaching career as a wide receiver coach for the Jets before moving on to Chicago, Dallas and Arizona, where he was the Cardinals` offensive coordinator.

The Steelers continued their search for a successor to Arians after former Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell took the quarterbacks coaching position with Baltimore on Monday. Haley could be the likely choice, but the Steelers may also interview several other candidates Ė including Green Bay quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and Steelers quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1l4iULGGx (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_779300.html#ixzz1l4iULGGx)

costanza2k1
01-31-2012, 06:45 PM

Given that Arians was removed because Rooney wants a more "Blue Collar Offense", who do you really think fits the bosses memo?

Clements the QB coach?

If Haley isn't the OC, Chadman wonders if the Rooney's are getting what they want...

Agreed, but I don't know about Haley...seems like a douche to me. While I think the coordinator should coordinate and the QB should run the plays, there needs to be a mutual respect there. I don't think these two will get along at all.

[youtube:jla1f5bk]4Zrgc2aocnM[/youtube:jla1f5bk]

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2012, 06:48 PM

Clements the QB coach?

When Haley was in Arizona, they threw the ball a ton...

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Agreed, but I don't know about Haley...seems like a douche to me. While I think the coordinator should coordinate and the QB should run the plays, there needs to be a mutual respect there. I don't think these two will get along at all.

:Agree and so does MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Perception of Haley and knowing Ben's personality by covering him for 8 years tells me that could be bad relationship.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1l4k8Uana (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1l4k8Uana)

Chadman
01-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Clements the QB coach?

[youtube:3sz8atw5]4Zrgc2aocnM[/youtube:3sz8atw5]

Nice Boomerang clip...nearly forgot that movie- Halle Berry....hmmm...

Chadman
01-31-2012, 06:57 PM

Clements the QB coach?

When Haley was in Arizona, they threw the ball a ton...

Didn't Whiz call the plays?

Was that the end of The Edge era?

Chadman
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM

:Agree and so does MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Perception of Haley and knowing Ben's personality by covering him for 8 years tells me that could be bad relationship.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1l4k8Uana (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1l4k8Uana)

This is funny- we have one group in here that don't want the QB & OC to be buddy-buddy, then we have another group that are worried Haley & Ben won't get on...

Arians got axed because he pandered to Ben, apparently.

The Rooney's want a more traditional, blue-collar offense.

If Haley can prove to be partly sane, he ticks all the boxes.

Snatch98
01-31-2012, 07:10 PM
If the Steelers take on Haley he's a great fit. Tomlin isn't going to take on a headcase so if he's hired Tomlin and the FO don't believe it's going to be an issue. I'm very intrigued by Haley, especially with two strong minds around him in Tomlin and Lebeau.

Dee Dub
01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Todd Haley, the man who never played a down of football of any kind in his entire life. Please no! Please no!! No! No! No! :HeadBanger

StarSpangledSteeler
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Many players have described Tom Coughlin as somewhat of an "A$$".

Many players have described Bill Belichet as somewhat of an "A$$".

I am not saying Haley is on their level of play calling or player development. What I am saying is that both the Giants and Patriots players are able to operate just fine and produce tremendously under such "Prickly" personalities.

If Haley is able to game plan, adjust, develop, produce at a high level, I welcome him. If he is able to get Ben and company to score 30 points per game, the entire Steeler Nation will welcome him. This is not about hugs and kisses or off season fishing trips. This is about scoring points and winning games. If Haley is the best man to do that... Sign him.

isonator07
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
If the Steelers take on Haley he's a great fit. Tomlin isn't going to take on a headcase so if he's hired Tomlin and the FO don't believe it's going to be an issue. I'm very intrigued by Haley, especially with two strong minds around him in Tomlin and Lebeau.

:Agree
Of all the names mentioned, I hope its Haley. I also like Hue Jackson, but that name faded faster than barbed wire tattoos.

Dee Dub
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Many players have described Tom Coughlin as somewhat of an "A$$".

Many players have described Bill Belichet as somewhat of an "A$$".

I am not saying Haley is on their level of play calling or player development. What I am saying is that both the Giants and Patriots players are able to operate just fine and produce tremendously under such "Prickly" personalities.

If Haley is able to game plan, adjust, develop, produce at a high level, I welcome him. If he is able to get Ben and company to score 30 points per game, the entire Steeler Nation will welcome him. This is not about hugs and kisses or off season fishing trips. This is about scoring points and winning games. If Haley is the best man to do that... Sign him.

The big difference between Coughlin and Belichik, and Haley is those first two played football. Haley never did. That tends to lead to a major disconnect with the players he will be coaching.

No thank you.

Snatch98
01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Deedub you're putting far too much emphasis on whether the guy has played football or not. I personally couldn't care less that he's never played a down of football and I played two collegiate sports. If he's a good football mind he's a good football mind. I don't think i've ever read about someone having a problem with Haley because he's "never played a down of football". It's a ridiculous complaint.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Todd Haley, the man who never played a down of football of any kind in his entire life. Please no! Please no!! No! No! No! :HeadBanger
????
Didn't seem to hurt him when he was calling plays for the Cowboys and the Cardinals. He "connected" with his players there plenty good enough. As long as he knows his stuff, what diff does it make whether he played or not?

Lebsteel
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Deedub you're putting far too much emphasis on whether the guy has played football or not. I personally couldn't care less that he's never played a down of football and I played two collegiate sports. If he's a good football mind he's a good football mind. I don't think i've ever read about someone having a problem with Haley because he's "never played a down of football". It's a ridiculous complaint.
I think dub has a good point, I would like our OC to have at least a little "live fire" time. He doesnt need to have been a star but a little playing experience would certainly earn respect from his players. If you were training for a fight who would you want teaching you and helping you prep for your opponent? Someone who has taken and given a few punches or someone who has never been hit?

Slapstick
01-31-2012, 09:38 PM
I think that the complaint that Haley never played might have held water years ago, but not now that he's been a head coach of an NFL team...

Shawn
01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
So because Belichick played at a small liberal arts college (poorly at that), he somehow has more locker room cred than Haley because of this fact?

Sounds more like a problem with player perception than it does with Haley.

Lebsteel
01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
So because Belichick played at a small liberal arts college (poorly at that), he somehow has more locker room cred than Haley because of this fact?

Sounds more like a problem with player perception
than it does with Haley.

What?? I thought Belliicheat was an All American? Perception is very often reality Shawn. He may be a great coach or maybe not...but NEVER played the game?

Shawn
01-31-2012, 10:13 PM

Sounds more like a problem with player perception
than it does with Haley.

What?? I thought Belliicheat was an All American? Perception is very often reality Shawn. He may be a great coach or maybe not...but NEVER played the game?

Maybe it's because I only played a little bit of pee wee football, but I don't see how it matters. If you know the game of football enough to be a good coach, why should it matter?

We are talking about professional athletes here. So, is it the stance of those who thinks it matters...that a professional athlete will somehow give subpar performances because of their coaches lack of PT? I highly doubt it. Some players may not like it...but I can't imagine it actually effecting their play.

feltdizz
01-31-2012, 10:15 PM
"He never played football" :roll:

Expect to hear this a lot on Sundays if he becomes our OC.

costanza2k1
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
"He never played football" :roll:

Expect to hear this a lot on Sundays if he becomes our OC.

We should make a list. I can only provide the following: fire Haley he sucks! :lol:

Lebsteel
01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Im not saying we shouldnt hire Haley based solely on not ever actually playing the game. He obviously has a lot of experience COACHING which is what we would be hiring him to do NOT play OLB. But...if he has never walked the walk it may affect how players relate to him and how quiickly they buy in to his game plan. Think of it this way....would you readily accept someone training you in your job if they have never done it?

focosteeler
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
I think a position coach has a HUGE advantage if they played the game especially if they were excellent at what they did. They have experience in the unique things that thier position did. Look at what Carnell Lake has done for us. Everyone has heard of the help Kevin Greene provided harrison and woodley....the thing here is that we are NOT hiring a position coach. An offensive coordinator builds the offense, and runs it as a UNIT. If he can develop good communication with the players and position coaches it should not matter whether he played the game or not.

feltdizz
01-31-2012, 11:49 PM
I think a position coach has a HUGE advantage if they played the game especially if they were excellent at what they did. They have experience in the unique things that thier position did. Look at what Carnell Lake has done for us. Everyone has heard of the help Kevin Greene provided harrison and woodley....the thing here is that we are NOT hiring a position coach. An offensive coordinator builds the offense, and runs it as a UNIT. If he can develop good communication with the players and position coaches it should not matter whether he played the game or not.

:Clap

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-01-2012, 12:59 AM
You guys are totally discounting the fact that Haley HAS seen the field in the NFL.

And at 3 Rivers Stadium at that. AND ... in BLACK AND GOLD.

Yes. He was a Pittsburgh Steeler ball boy.

That is all!

...Early years

Haley was born on February 28, 1967, in Atlanta, Georgia [1] He is the son of Dick Haley, formerly Director of Player Personnel for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1971Ė1990) and New York Jets (1991Ė2002) and also a former NFL cornerback (1959Ė1964).[2]

As a youth, Haley was a ball boy for the Steelers and attended Steelers training camps with his father.[2] Alongside his father, Haley would watch the Steelers' game and practice film.[2][3] While his family was located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for his father's profession, Haley attended Upper St. Clair High School.[2] He went on to attend the University of Florida and University of Miami, playing on the two schools' respective golf squads.[2] Haley graduated from the University of North Florida in 1991 with a bachelor's degree in communication.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Haley

BradshawsHairdresser
02-01-2012, 01:25 AM
But...if he has never walked the walk it may affect how players relate to him and how quiickly they buy in to his game plan. Think of it this way....would you readily accept someone training you in your job if they have never done it?

I might buy your argument if he had never before been successful as an NFL offensive coordinator. But he has, twice already. That should more than cancel out any concerns about him not doing a good job because he never played the game.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Todd Haley interviews with Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on January 31, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/toddhaley-e1328070704506.jpg?w=250

Apparently, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin learned enough about Todd Haley while doing homework on the former Chiefs coach to decide to learn even more about him during a face-to-face meeting.

The Steelers announced on the teamís official website that Tomlin interviewed Haley on Tuesday at the practice facility in Pittsburgh.

Thereís some scuttlebutt in media circles that Tomlin and the Steelers are considering Haley as a courtesy, given that his father played for the Steelers in the 1960s and thereafter worked in the teamís front office. Todd Haley once served as a Steelers ball boy. Even if the Steelers arenít interested in hiring Haley, interviewing him ó and declaring that they have done so via the teamís website ó could help him generate interest elsewhere.

Haleyís name has been mentioned in connection with the Jets and the Cardinals. Though his contract with Kansas City ran through 2012, the Chiefs reportedly have cut off his payments. If thatís true, he has plenty of reasons (possibly several million) to be looking for a job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/31/todd-haley-interviews-with-steelers/)

Shawn
02-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Im not saying we shouldnt hire Haley based solely on not ever actually playing the game. He obviously has a lot of experience COACHING which is what we would be hiring him to do NOT play OLB. But...if he has never walked the walk it may affect how players relate to him and how quiickly they buy in to his game plan. Think of it this way....would you readily accept someone training you in your job if they have never done it?

Now I can see some merit here. With that said, that is still a player issue. And it's Tomlin's job to reign that in. At the end of the day, the players are paid to play and not to analyze the coaching resumes of potential candidates. And I believe most will trust the process, and dive into a new playbook without second thought. Why? Because they are professionals.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Todd Haley interviews with Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on January 31, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/toddhaley-e1328070704506.jpg?w=250

Apparently, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin learned enough about Todd Haley while doing homework on the former Chiefs coach to decide to learn even more about him during a face-to-face meeting.

The Steelers announced on the teamís official website that Tomlin interviewed Haley on Tuesday at the practice facility in Pittsburgh.

Thereís some scuttlebutt in media circles that Tomlin and the Steelers are considering Haley as a courtesy, given that his father played for the Steelers in the 1960s and thereafter worked in the teamís front office. Todd Haley once served as a Steelers ball boy. Even if the Steelers arenít interested in hiring Haley, interviewing him ó and declaring that they have done so via the teamís website ó could help him generate interest elsewhere.

Haleyís name has been mentioned in connection with the Jets and the Cardinals. Though his contract with Kansas City ran through 2012, the Chiefs reportedly have cut off his payments. If thatís true, he has plenty of reasons (possibly several million) to be looking for a job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/31/todd-haley-interviews-with-steelers/)

I have really grown to hate the media the past couple years. They are guessing that it is a professional courtesy? There is even an article in the PG saying Haley isn't likely to get the job. How the hell do they know? Was Gerry Dulac standing outside Tomlins office and Tomlin gave him the no-go headshake when Haley left the office? Anymore the writers guessing and simple speculation, basically gossip, is all that is needed to write a piece in the paper.

steelz09
02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
My one and only problem with Haley is how he gets into arguments on the sidelines with his players.

Think Boldin in Arizona.

There was another instance in KC if I remember correctly.

flippy
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
It'd be cool to have a little crazy in the coaching ranks. Haley would definitely shake things up. Tomlin, Lebeau, etc all have such a calm demeanor.

I think the structure would take a little of the crazy out of Haley and at the same time he could stir a little passion in this team.

I'm not sure if Haley would be the best choice? But he also might be extra motivated since everyone's seemed to have written him off.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-01-2012, 09:39 AM
It'd be cool to have a little crazy in the coaching ranks. Haley would definitely shake things up. Tomlin, Lebeau, etc all have such a calm demeanor.

I think the structure would take a little of the crazy out of Haley and at the same time he could stir a little passion in this team.

I'm not sure if Haley would be the best choice? But he also might be extra motivated since everyone's seemed to have written him off.

I agree. And also, the dude if from the area, and most dogs don't like to sh!t in their own backyards. I am sure he would be on good behavior considering he would be coaching for his hometown team. If not, he is f'n crazy for real.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I have really grown to hate the media the past couple years. They are guessing that it is a professional courtesy? There is even an article in the PG saying Haley isn't likely to get the job. How the hell do they know? Was Gerry Dulac standing outside Tomlins office and Tomlin gave him the no-go headshake when Haley left the office? Anymore the writers guessing and simple speculation, basically gossip, is all that is needed to write a piece in the paper.

phillyesq
02-01-2012, 11:03 AM

It's unfortunate that somebody like Florio, whose site is based largely on rampant speculation, is considered part of the media.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I don't think Haley not playing any football means he can't be a good coach. He has a track record. He worked under Bill Parcels for two seperate occasions. I'm sure Bill Parcels tolerated a coach who didn't know what he was doing. Some of the greatest coaches have limited NFL experience if any. If the "what have you done" issue arises between a player and a coach...You don't want that type of player on your roster. It is a cancer waiting to happen and on the business side of a team he is shown the door. Just ask Larry Johnson. The Steelers have done a pretty good job of making sure those type of players never find there way on the Steelers roster. There is a level employer - employee that must be maintained and that goes down the roster of coaches. If it was an issue in the league...How would you expect a player making 8 mil a year respect and take orders from a position coach making 6 digits. So you don't like the guy...So be it. Trying to use this as an excuse not to hire a guy lacks any intelligence.

Haley was around football his whole life starting at an early age. He may be best suited as a OC or position coach. He worked with Charlie Weiss & Bill Parcels with the Jets as a WR coach. Keyshawn Johnson made the ProBowl under Haley. He joined the Bears as a WR coach and worked under Dick Jauron. Marty Booker made the Pro Bowl under Haley. He rejoined Parcels in Dallas. Haley was the wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator. Here is my tell tale. In 2006, he had TO & Glenn on his team and was working with Romo in his first year of starting. He took the offense to 5th in total, 4th in scoring, and helped Romo to achieve the 5th highest rated QB rating in his first year of starting. Did I mention TO was on that team? Haley wasn't the focus but he had an instrumental part of that offense. Pretty good resume as a support coach. If you don't like that...Let's see what he did as a OC & HC.

He then joined Whisenhunt in Arizona in 2007. He didn't start calling his own plays until mid season....2008 he called the plays. Warner wan't anything special the two years in Arizona before Whiz & Haley got there. Who gets the credit? Can be arugued any way. Cardinals have been 23-25 since Haley left. No QB the last two years...Sure. Haley's last year the offense was 4th in total & 3rd in scoring. The following year after he left Warner was still there. The offense fell to 14th in total & 11th in scoring. In 2010, 31st in total & 26th in scoring. In 2011, 19th total & 24th scoring. I think they both had a hand in the offensive success. When Whiz was here, he went 16th, 15th, & 7th in total offense and 11th, 9th, & 12th in scoring offense. His best numbers on his resume had Haley as his OC.

Haley took the HC job at KC and took on a 2-14 team from 2008. The team was 24th in total offense & 26th in scoring the year before Haley got there. Haley went 19-26 while he was there with a season best 10-6 & an AFC West Title. The Chiefs were 12th in total offense & 14th in scoring that year. Whiz hasn't bettered him even the year after they lost the SB. He inherited a 2-14 team...There was some coaching involved there. In 2011 he lost his start RB Charles in the 2nd game and still ended up going 4-5 before he lost Cassell for the season. I don't care how you feel about him...Haley had an uphill battle at coaching out of the box and hit some pretty big bumps in the road in 2011. Not bad for a guy who never played football. I wouldn't want to hire him if he never played football and never coached before....But he has a resume in coaching so I think the "never played football" is not an issue.

Dee Dub
02-01-2012, 12:42 PM
What are the problems we've seen and heard of Haley? Arguments with players on the sideline. Tirades. His reputation for being arrogant. Tough to work with. These seem to be a result of a disconnect with his players, coaches, and front office. This reputation he has is coming from where? These very same people he is having the disconnect with. People who themselves have played the game of football.

If one doesnt see a problem there with that then I dont know what to say.

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
My one and only problem with Haley is how he gets into arguments on the sidelines with his players.

Think Boldin in Arizona.

There was another instance in KC if I remember correctly.

Simple enough...

Keep him off the sideline and have him calling plays from upstairs...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 12:58 PM
What are the problems we've seen and heard of Haley? Arguments with players on the sideline. Tirades. His reputation for being arrogant. Tough to work with. These seem to be a result of a disconnect with his players, coaches, and front office. This reputation he has is coming from where? These very same people he is having the disconnect with. People who themselves have played the game of football.

I don't see a problem putting someone in there place. Bolden didn't like coming out of the lineup. STFU and sit down. Johnson is no stranger to controversy and was a premadona at that point in his career....And I'm a PSU homer. Let the writers write what they want. He has been around coaching and got production. If your argument is based on Bolden & Johnson having there feelings hurt & Haley...Who was their coach...Setting them straight...Then maybe you don't understand the order of things. Players play...Coaches coach....It isn't any different for anyone because of the name on their back or the zeroes in their contracts. When that matters...There won't be an NFL.

Dee Dub
02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":1b95g0c4]What are the problems we've seen and heard of Haley? Arguments with players on the sideline. Tirades. His reputation for being arrogant. Tough to work with. These seem to be a result of a disconnect with his players, coaches, and front office. This reputation he has is coming from where? These very same people he is having the disconnect with. People who themselves have played the game of football.

I don't see a problem putting someone in there place. Bolden didn't like coming out of the lineup. STFU and sit down. Johnson is no stranger to controversy and was a premadona at that point in his career....And I'm a PSU homer. Let the writers write what they want. He has been around coaching and got production. If your argument is based on Bolden & Johnson having there feelings hurt & Haley...Who was their coach...Setting them straight...Then maybe you don't understand the order of things. Players play...Coaches coach....It isn't any different for anyone because of the name on their back or the zeroes in their contracts. When that matters...There won't be an NFL.[/quote:1b95g0c4]

He's not getting the job so we need not argue this anymore.

Haley interviews, unlikely to get Arians' job
Wednesday, February 01, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/12 ... z1l9PIYcv0 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm#ixzz1l9PIYcv0)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm

..and this is from the article...

Haley's interview was something of a surprise because he has a reputation for not getting along with players and coaches. He was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals when they lost against the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

Disconnect!!

steelz09
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't think his arguments has anything do to a "disconnect" with his players because he never played.

I think it's just because the guy is a bit hot headed sometimes.... and the emotions take over.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't think his arguments has anything do to a "disconnect" with his players because he never played.

I think it's just because the guy is a bit hot headed sometimes.... and the emotions take over.

I thought we wanted an offensive coordinator who wasn't buddy buddy with the players?

Now we want an OC who can relate, be sensitive, etc... all while putting up big numbers.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
He's not getting the job so we need not argue this anymore.

Haley interviews, unlikely to get Arians' job
Wednesday, February 01, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/12 ... z1l9PIYcv0 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm#ixzz1l9PIYcv0)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm

..and this is from the article...

Haley's interview was something of a surprise because he has a reputation for not getting along with players and coaches. He was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals when they lost against the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

Disconnect!!

That's fine. When they hire someone else you can say it isn't happening. Tomlin did research and still set up interview. So much for that "reputation". Wexell tweeted that the reports of the interview being forced by the Rooneys as a sign of respect to his Dad was ludicrous.

@jimwexell
James C Wexell @skijazman "who has most input and/or final say on OC hire?" -- it's all Tomlin. Idea that Rooney forced Haley interview is ludicrous.

Just my thoughts on the writers bringing up Haley's fights with players.

If he is a coach..He should set a player straight. If I ever see a player arguing with a coach...It is always shame on the player and a sign of disrespect. Any of you who have a boss think you would get away with it? What do people think they are arguing about? Money he loaned him? He is coached to play. He has a gameplan for the week. He gets paid to execute. The coaches job is to make sure he is prepared & he executes. If he doesn't...I would let him know about it. If he can't take direction, criticism, or advise...If his ego is too fragile...You need to learn to deal with it. Part of the job. If you continue to have a problem with it...You aren't NFL material. Does everyone think Cowher never had a run-in with his players? He let them know how it was. You know what the difference was? Players on the Steelers understand how things are. If they didn't...They wouldn't be on the roster. Perfect example is when I saw Cowher take one of my favorite players aside on the sideline during a game because he was not doing his assignment on plays and trying to make a play by freelancing. Cowher looked Lloyd right in the eye and
said, "Rush the Quarterback!" What did Lloyd say? Not an F'in word...Respect. The way it should be.

flippy
02-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Coaching is a gray area. Different athletes respond to different treatment. At the end of the day, just understand what motivates each individual and understand/care about them personally and you'll get them to respond.

All coaches must earn respect. And respect isn't in the yelling or complaining. Respect is giving everything you have on the field. That's all the respect I care about as a fan.

Give me the best players we can find. And give me the coach that can maximize the contribution of each guy and his unit collectively.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 03:06 PM
What do people think they are arguing about? Money he loaned him?

:lol:

Shawn
02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Belichick isn't a players coach, nor is he a players psychiatrist. He is rough, anti-social, gruff but he knows football. It's his way or the highway. Where do we get the idea that a coach needs to be a fluffy bunny filled with rose colored kisses and rainbows? I want a guy who knows football. Haley is a guy who has proven he can coach. That means much to me. Too many question marks surrounding the other two candidates.

Dee Dub
02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Belichick isn't a players coach, nor is he a players psychiatrist. He is rough, anti-social, gruff but he knows football. It's his way or the highway. Where do we get the idea that a coach needs to be a fluffy bunny filled with rose colored kisses and rainbows? I want a guy who knows football. Haley is a guy who has proven he can coach. That means much to me. Too many question marks surrounding the other two candidates.

Well I for one am not saying that...but I do think the coach and player have to have a connection as far as having played the game before.

Would you want me to operate on you Shawn even though I went to school to be a doctor or read a book about it yet having never actually operated on anyone?

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Well I for one am not saying that...but I do think the coach and player have to have a connection as far as having played the game before.

Would you want me to operate on you Shawn even though I went to school to be a doctor or read a book about it yet having never actually operated on anyone?

Haley was a freaking NFL Head Coach!!!!!!!

Haley went to the football equivalent of med school, completed his internship and residency and opened up his own practice, but you won't go to him because he didn't play doctor as a kid?!?

Dee Dub
02-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Haley went to the football equivalent of med school, completed his internship and residency and opened up his own practice, but you won't go to him because he didn't play doctor as a kid?!?

...and what were the results of his head coaching? His equivalent to med school in the NFL resulted in a law suit/botched surgery.

No thank you.

..and not only did he not play football as a kid but not even as a young adult. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Coaching is a gray area. Different athletes respond to different treatment. At the end of the day, just understand what motivates each individual and understand/care about them personally and you'll get them to respond.

All coaches must earn respect. And respect isn't in the yelling or complaining. Respect is giving everything you have on the field. That's all the respect I care about as a fan.

Give me the best players we can find. And give me the coach that can maximize the contribution of each guy and his unit collectively.

See..I disagree Flip. That's why good college coaches don't always have success in the NFL. An NFL coach is dealing with a whole different animal. Coaching student athletes is nothing like coaching professionals. The football team is the reflection of the coach in the NFL...Not the other way. NFL Coaches don't need to come down to a player. Coaches don't need to earn respect in the face of the players. Players know from day one who is the boss and what their responsibilty is to the team. They have to earn what they get..Not the other way around. Many don't know about what goes on in the film room & meetings. The players aren't sitting around playing Xbox eating Cheetos while the coaches watch the film in the background. The yelling, directing, teaching, etc. goes on in the meeting rooms. It isn't "I'll Get him next time coach."....There is a level of accountability for everyone. Those $$$$'s gurantee that. We as fans get to see the product of all that on Sundays...We don't get to see the ingredients that go into it. The hard work & long hours you hear about is done behind the closed doors. And it isn't always ballons & confetti for even the top players on the team.

Now, I undertsand where you are coming from to moitivate and getting the most out of your players. I also understand that the better coaches can adapt and design the system around the players not adapt the players to the system. All of that is part of the process to reach productivity. But at the end of the day, everyone in that room knows the direction and knows their responsibilty. It is the coaches job to have them prepared. They have accountability to teh owner. It isn't up to the coaches to motivate them to execute. They are professionals. The line is drawn and it is up to the players to step over it and perform on the field. If the player is not doing what he was prepared for...It is on the coach to hold him accountable...Not motivate him to fix it. If that includes a heated conversation where the coach shows his displeasure with the player...That's on the player. It wasn't a surprise what was expected of him and he is getting paid for what they expect out of him. You don't rub the kitty to make them purr in the NFL. That's what you do in college, high school, and earlier. The players should be growling on their own when they sign the contract.

Oviedo
02-01-2012, 04:20 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":12ulwlmn]Well I for one am not saying that...but I do think the coach and player have to have a connection as far as having played the game before.

...and what were the results of his head coaching? His equivalent to med school in the NFL resulted in a law suit/botched surgery.

No thank you.

..and not only did he not play football as a kid but not even as a young adult. :wink:[/quote:12ulwlmn]

:Agree Haley can recover from his NFL malpractice with another team. I don't want him to be the next OC under any condition.

We may have a real problem finding another OC since Art II is now becoming Jerry Jones and all the candidates have probably been told they will have to deal with the offensive geniuses at Planetsteelers :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM

That is a valid point...But we aren't hiring Haley to play football. We are hiring him to coach...And he has coached or been in scouting since 1995 and has a resume to prove it.

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Where do we get the idea that a coach needs to be a fluffy bunny filled with rose colored kisses and rainbows?

Yeah...you weren't queerbait...sure... :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":6bd90c6z]Well I for one am not saying that...but I do think the coach and player have to have a connection as far as having played the game before.

No thank you.

..and not only did he not play football as a kid but not even as a young adult. :wink:[/quote:6bd90c6z]

Last I checked the Steelers were looking at him for OC. His position coach and OC looks like a really really nice boob job! :Boobs

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 04:36 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":z95a15be]Well I for one am not saying that...but I do think the coach and player have to have a connection as far as having played the game before.

No thank you.

..and not only did he not play football as a kid but not even as a young adult. :wink:

:Agree Haley can recover from his NFL malpractice with another team. I don't want him to be the next OC under any condition.

We may have a real problem finding another OC since Art II is now becoming Jerry Jones and all the candidates have probably been told they will have to deal with the offensive geniuses at Planetsteelers :wink:[/quote:z95a15be]

So what would have been a successful surgery coming to a 2-14 team for you? A SB title in 3 years? Very hard to have a good 1st year with a new head coach especially coming in to a 2 win team. Second year won divisional title. Third year lost his star RB game 2 & his starting QB after 9 games at 4-5. He may not be a head coach but there is no reason to call that a malpractice.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM

:wft Haley isn't trying to make the 53 man roster :HeadBanger

Dub....the doctor analogy is stupid as hell.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
[quote=Shawn]Belichick isn't a players coach, nor is he a players psychiatrist. He is rough, anti-social, gruff but he knows football. It's his way or the highway. Where do we get the idea that a coach needs to be a fluffy bunny filled with rose colored kisses and rainbows? I want a guy who knows football. Haley is a guy who has proven he can coach. That means much to me. Too many question marks surrounding the other two candidates.

That is a valid point...But we aren't hiring Haley to play football. We are hiring him to coach...And he has coached or been in scouting since 1995 and has a resume to prove it.[/quote:n9v91hex]

you just schooled his valid point. I don't think it is valid at all. Dub keeps talking about Haley like he never coached before...

Maybe this is why so many fans think they can be coaches? :D

Mister Pittsburgh
02-01-2012, 05:04 PM
have generals in todays military really gone out in the field and done what they are direct the troops to do? i design civil engineering projects for a living, send the plans out the door, and the projects get built even though I have never run a backhoe or a bulldozer or anything. I don't think you have to have lined up and run a slant pattern to have great mind for strategy and that is truly all being an offensive coordinator is, a strategist.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 05:08 PM
have generals in todays military really gone out in the field and done what they are direct the troops to do? i design civil engineering projects for a living, send the plans out the door, and the projects get built even though I have never run a backhoe or a bulldozer or anything. I don't think you have to have lined up and run a slant pattern to have great mind for strategy and that is truly all being an offensive coordinator is, a strategist.

Shawn
02-01-2012, 05:17 PM

That is just a really bad analogy on multiple levels.

Oviedo
02-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Speaking from experience the answer is yes. Every general starts out as a 2nd Lt (in some cases as an enlisted private) and they go through a very defined set of assignments both in tactical units and on staffs. As platoon leaders they essentially have to know how to do everything their soldiers do and they actually do it when in the field...everything from basic marksmenship to clearing an enemy position.

Officers do not come in the military and apply for the head startegist job. That is years of preparation. Every officer is told don't ask your men to do what you are unwilling to do.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-01-2012, 06:11 PM

$$$$$$$$
I have to wonder if there are some folks out there who would be brilliant OC's, but who will never get the chance because "they never played the game."

Snatch98
02-01-2012, 07:32 PM

$$$$$$$$
I have to wonder if there are some folks out there who would be brilliant OC's, but who will never get the chance because "they never played the game."

I certainly don't think so. A good football mind is a good football mind and that goes for anything no matter the subject. Hell i read Moneyball quite some time ago and it's all about building a team on a budget based solely on a set number of statistics. You either have it figured out or you don't and the guys that have it figured out get interviews whether they've played the game or not. I could care less if a coach was an all american at position XYZ if he's not a good coach.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-01-2012, 08:54 PM

$$$$$$$$

I certainly don't think so. A good football mind is a good football mind and that goes for anything no matter the subject. Hell i read Moneyball quite some time ago and it's all about building a team on a budget based solely on a set number of statistics. You either have it figured out or you don't and the guys that have it figured out get interviews whether they've played the game or not. I could care less if a coach was an all american at position XYZ if he's not a good coach.

And I'll bet Tomlin would agree with you....I can't see him making his hire based upon the candidate's playing experience or lack thereof.

Northern_Blitz
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM

I think it's more like Haley is an MBA and we're hiring him to run the Hospital. He's a guy that will be the boss of doctors, but has never been a doctor himself.

Coaching and playing require different skill sets. Doesn't mean that a guy who never played can't coach...doesn't mean he can.

I think his success/failure as a coach is way more important than whether or not he played before.

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Ok so I get it...you wouldn't want me operating on you since I had no experience at doing it even though I had graduated from Med School and had been taught how to be a surgeon by experts.

Got it. :wink:

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 01:55 PM
[quote=Shawn]Belichick isn't a players coach, nor is he a players psychiatrist. He is rough, anti-social, gruff but he knows football. It's his way or the highway. Where do we get the idea that a coach needs to be a fluffy bunny filled with rose colored kisses and rainbows? I want a guy who knows football. Haley is a guy who has proven he can coach. That means much to me. Too many question marks surrounding the other two candidates.

Ok so I get it...you wouldn't want me operating on you since I had no experience at doing it even though I had graduated from Med School and had been taught how to be a surgeon by experts.

Got it. :wink:[/quote:9u84mm84]

Shawn
02-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Got it. :wink:

That is just a really bad analogy on multiple levels.[/quote:2et47wzy]

:lol:

Thank you Dizz. I didn't want to have to repeat myself. :)

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2012, 02:21 PM
I can make the surgeon analogy work!

Playing pee wee or high school football as a kid is about a relevant to what makes somebody a successful NFL coach as experience playing this as a kid:

http://www.dreamprophesy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Operation-Dreams.jpg

makes someone a successful surgeon. :wink:

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM

Playing pee wee or high school football as a kid is about a relevant to what makes somebody a successful NFL coach as experience playing this as a kid:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee Dub
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM

No this doesnt work. Haley didnt play pee wee football or high school football. Never ever of any kind.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 03:30 PM

No this doesnt work. Haley didnt play pee wee football or high school football. Never ever of any kind.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/Point_over_your_head.jpg

BigRob
02-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm sorry, If we hire Haley, I would never do anything but think of this when I see him on the sidelines.....

http://picchore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/todd-haley-animated-gif.gif