PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Myron Rolle (safety) to a future contract

costanza2k1
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/MyronRolle

per the site that doesn't let us link to them.

costanza2k1
01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
K Rich @K_Rich_ @MyronRolle #SteelerNation ?

Myron Rolle Myron Rolle @MyronRolle
@K_Rich_ Better believe it. Flying back now.

Chadman
01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Excellent! Talented young player that could have a chance if he gets it right.

SteelBucks
01-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Is he the Rhodes Scholar? I remember the NFL Network did a special on him during the 2010 draft.

costanza2k1
01-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Is he the Rhodes Scholar? I remember the NFL Network did a special on him during the 2010 draft.

Yeah that's him, funny how we get players we wanted to draft later on...I like it!

focosteeler
01-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Yeeeessssss very happy about this
:tt2

Chadman
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Well, they say that LeBeau's defense is complex...and the FS needs to be smart enough to adjust his game to cover for Troy...

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Solid signing! Many of us really liked this kid coming out of Florida State (by way of Oxford).

Another heady safety to follow in the footsteps of Darren Parry and Carnell Lake on our coaching staff of the future (unless he goes to medical school following his football career instead).

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2012, 06:48 PM
wasn't Myron Rolle's problem that they had to time him in the 40 with a calendar instead of a stopwatch?

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2012, 06:59 PM
wasn't Myron Rolle's problem that they had to time him in the 40 with a calendar instead of a stopwatch?

NFLDraftScout (usually pretty reliable) reports he ran a 4.59 at the combine and a 4.61 at his Pro Day. Other site range anywhere from 4.54 to 4.76. Was drafted in the 6th round in 2010 by the Titans.

We don't need to know what his Wonderlic score is, however.

Chadman
01-31-2012, 07:07 PM
There were multiple reasons his draft stock dropped- his speed, some questioned his committment to football, and he spent a year away from football while studying in Oxford.

If he wants to play, he's certainly smart enough. Good signing- low risk, high upside.

SteelBucks
01-31-2012, 07:15 PM

NFLDraftScout (usually pretty reliable) reports he ran a 4.59 at the combine and a 4.61 at his Pro Day. Other site range anywhere from 4.54 to 4.76. Was drafted in the 6th round in 2010 by the Titans.

We don't need to know what his Wonderlic score is, however.

I couldn't resist and had to look up his Wonderlic score. 10 players scored higher. Slacker! :wink:

1. WR Eric Decker Minnesota 43
2. OT Adam Ulatoski Texas 39
3. QB Max Hall BYU 38
4. QB Tim Hiller Western Michigan 37
5. OG Jon Asamoah Illinois 36
6. QB Sam Bradford Oklahoma 36
7. DE Branderon Deaderick Alabama 36
8. OLB Cody Grimm Virginia Tech 36
9. OT Sam Young Notre Dame 36
10. WR Demaryius Thomas Georgia Tech 34
11. C Ted Larsen North Carolina State 33
12. OT Cole Pemberton Colorado State 33
13. SS Myron Rolle Florida State 33
14. OT Marshall Newhouse TCU 32
15. DE Earl Wilson North Carolina 32
16. OT Zane Beadles Utah 31
17. OLB A.J. Edds Iowa 31
18. DT Vince Oghobaase Duke 31
19. C Eric Olsen Notre Dame 31
20. DT Corey Peters Kentucky 31

TallyStiller
01-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Very good player at FSU... in the same mold as Chris Hope, who was a 4.0 student and academic All - American. FWIW, Rolle was considered a 5 star recruit coming out of high school and saw that stock drop a bit after playing his college ball, like Lamar Woodley, who went from #2 overall prospect to 2nd round pick. I think we found our FS of the future.

Chadman
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Very good player at FSU... in the same mold as Chris Hope, who was a 4.0 student and academic All - American. FWIW, Rolle was considered a 5 star recruit coming out of high school and saw that stock drop a bit after playing his college ball, like Lamar Woodley, who went from #2 overall prospect to 2nd round pick. I think we found our FS of the future.

So much for cautious optimism.... :D

He at least might be able to force Will Allen from the roster, saving dollars. Can he develop into a starter? Who knows- but here's his shot.

TallyStiller
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Watched him play in college - he was a difference maker, and is obviously smart enough to do the things we need a free safety to do. Believe he can do better than knock off Will Allen... think he'll take Ryan Clark's spot in a couple years. We are badly in need of quality young talent at safety, and this draft appears to be extraordinarily shallow at the position. This is, for me, out of left field and a huge coup in addressing arguably the team's single biggest need that doesn't involve the lines.

steelblood
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Tally,

32 teams passed on him until the 6th round. He could not make the Titans roster in two separate camps. If any GM in the NFL thought he was a future starter, they would have snatched him off the Titans practice squad.

focosteeler
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Watched him play in college - he was a difference maker, and is obviously smart enough to do the things we need a free safety to do. Believe he can do better than knock off Will Allen... think he'll take Ryan Clark's spot in a couple years. We are badly in need of quality young talent at safety, and this draft appears to be extraordinarily shallow at the position. This is, for me, out of left field and a huge coup in addressing arguably the team's single biggest need that doesn't involve the lines.

A list of guys some people are forecasting as 1st round Safeties for next year....

Matt Elam
T.J. McDonald
Tyrann Mathieu
David Amerson
Xavier Rhodes
Tony Jefferson
Bacarri Rambo

Just a guess but I think we go Safety 1st round next year.....

Chadman
01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Tally,

32 teams passed on him until the 6th round. He could not make the Titans roster in two separate camps. If any GM in the NFL thought he was a future starter, they would have snatched him off the Titans practice squad.

32 teams passed on James Harrison through every round of the draft...

It's often more about situations, schemes & need as to whether a player sticks or not. There IS a need at Pittsburgh for at least, a 4th Safety. If the Steelers don't draft one early, and if the cap hit-to- play ability ratio isn't in favour of Will Allen, then Rolle could find a role in Pittsburgh.

Like Chadman said- cautious optimism. He has a chance to stick if he plays his cards right. Low risk, high upside- much like Jerrod Johnson & Troy Smith- certainly nothing lost by bringing him in.

focosteeler
01-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Tally,

It's often more about situations, schemes & need as to whether a player sticks or not. There IS a need at Pittsburgh for at least, a 4th Safety. If the Steelers don't draft one early, and if the cap hit-to- play ability ratio isn't in favour of Will Allen, then Rolle could find a role in Pittsburgh.

Like Chadman said- cautious optimism. He has a chance to stick if he plays his cards right. Low risk, high upside- much like Jerrod Johnson & Troy Smith- certainly nothing lost by bringing him in.

:Agree

Dresden
02-01-2012, 01:41 AM
He's not Ryan Clark or Ryan Mundy,......and at this point,..that's enough for me to give the kid a shot and or the benefit of the doubt. I'm in,....for now.

steelblood
02-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Tally,

I never said I was against signing him. I was responding to someone who was projecting him at starting FS in two years. That is a stretch. I'm not saying it is impossible, but in this case, highly unlikely.

Also, there is a huge difference between Myron Rolle and James Harrison. Harrison was not on the radar for many teams. Rolle had more media behind him than most 1st rounders. There was plenty of tape and evaluations. Also, Harrison's problem was not physical. From pretty early on he flashed great physical skill and toughness, the coaches agreed he had the physical tools to play. The problem with Harrison was that the coaches didn't think he could grasp the defensive scheme or the game plan. Rolle's issues are stiffness, a lack of elite speed, and (for his size) a lack of physicality in his play. Those are difficult to fix.

I have no problem with all of these recent signings. This will be the year that several undrafted free agents and castoffs from other teams will have a shot to make this roster and compete. And, if one of them ends up starting some day, that will be great.

flippy
02-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Glad he has Carnell to learn from. We all wanted him back then, so we'll take him now.

ikestops85
02-01-2012, 10:57 AM
If he's a playmaker then great. If not, then I don't want him. I'd really like us to get a ball hawk to play free safety.

phillyesq
02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Tally,

I never said I was against signing him. I was responding to someone who was projecting him at starting FS in two years. That is a stretch. I'm not saying it is impossible, but in this case, highly unlikely.

Also, there is a huge difference between Myron Rolle and James Harrison. Harrison was not on the radar for many teams. Rolle had more media behind him than most 1st rounders. There was plenty of tape and evaluations. Also, Harrison's problem was not physical. From pretty early on he flashed great physical skill and toughness, the coaches agreed he had the physical tools to play. The problem with Harrison was that the coaches didn't think he could grasp the defensive scheme or the game plan. Rolle's issues are stiffness, a lack of elite speed, and (for his size) a lack of physicality in his play. Those are difficult to fix.

I have no problem with all of these recent signings. This will be the year that several undrafted free agents and castoffs from other teams will have a shot to make this roster and compete. And, if one of them ends up starting some day, that will be great.

Well said.

Rolle could end up as carving out a role as a backup safety, and he may even develop into a starter one day. Ryan Clark followed a similar path. But I'm certainly not counting on anything from Rolle, and I doubt that the Steelers are.

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Tally,

Remember, though, that Darren Perry was never any kind of athletic freak out there. He used his wits and knowledge to go from 8th round pick to day 1 starter.

I don't expect Rolle to start here any time soon, but if he is able to carve out a niche for himself on special teams, he would be a cheaper alternative than Will Allen as #4 safety and special teamer this year (and since we are in cost-cutting mode, I expect Allen to go bye-bye). We will go into next year with Troy, Clark, and Mundy as our top 3 safeties, and Rolle will compete with Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith and likely a rookie for that #4 role.

Oviedo
02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Tally,

Well said.

Rolle could end up as carving out a role as a backup safety, and he may even develop into a starter one day. Ryan Clark followed a similar path. But I'm certainly not counting on anything from Rolle, and I doubt that the Steelers are.

Rolle is too slow to be an effective starting FS especially in a league becoming more dominated by passing. His stregth at Fla. St was coming up and stopping the run. He was never great as a pass defender. Our next starting FS needs to be a ballhawk who has excellent coverage skills. Just an opinion.

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Tom Coughlin told Ryan Clark that he would never play in the NFL...

He was in Hawai'i on Sunday...

TallyStiller
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I believe teams passed on Rolle until the 6th because they knew he was going to Oxford instead of training camp, not because of any lack of skill. If he's fully committed to football, I think he's got the potential to be a real asset.

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
I believe teams passed on Rolle until the 6th because they knew he was going to Oxford instead of training camp, not because of any lack of skill. If he's fully committed to football, I think he's got the potential to be a real asset.

Actually, he was drafted after he had just come back from Oxford (so it had been a year since he had been on a football field).

Shoe
02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
There is such a thing as being too smart too. Not "too smart", but over-thinking when you should react. Not saying that's the case with Rolle, but the bottom line is that being a Rhodes scholar is almost irrelevant when considering him as a football player. (And actually, it is a knock, because you do naturally question his dedication to football.)

I'm sure this is low-risk, so no matter. It's worth a shot.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Rolle is too slow to be an effective starting FS especially in a league becoming more dominated by passing. His stregth at Fla. St was coming up and stopping the run. He was never great as a pass defender. Our next starting FS needs to be a ballhawk who has excellent coverage skills. Just an opinion.

:Agree

sentinel33
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't see much to lose on this acquistion.

But if it is true about his lack of physicality, I don't see him sticking. He would need to participate on ST, and you gotta be able to lay the thump when you handle that role.

But he may have changed over the past couple of years. Opening up the cap space is critical right now and hopefully he can help do that without much falloff in skill level/performance. But success in this endeavor would be a big boone for the Steelers.

My fingers are severely crossed.

SteelCrazy
02-05-2012, 03:23 AM
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/comm ... 39a02.html (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/communities/galloway/galloway-township-native-myron-rolle-clinging-to-nfl-dream-after/article_235b387e-113c-5431-a6df-166e54e39a02.html)

Today's Super Bowl marks the end of the most frustrating season in Myron Rolle's football career.

From the time he was 6 years old and playing for the Galloway Township Mustangs of the Atlantic County Junior Football League, Rolle was a star. He was among the nation's top high school players before accepting a scholarship to Florida State University, and he played well enough for the Seminoles to be drafted by the Tennessee Titans in 2010.

But Rolle, now 25, never put on a helmet and shoulder pads this season. Released by the Titans at the end of the preseason this summer, the 6-foot-2, 219-pound safety was out of football until signing a contract last Tuesday with the Pittsburgh Steelers for next season.

"This season was very difficult for me," Rolle said earlier this week in a phone interview. "I've never in my life experienced delayed success or gratification. It was hard learning patience and persistence. (Signing with an NFL team) happened a lot later than I expected."

Rolle actually has not played in a regular-season game since the 2008 season at Florida State. He took a year off from football to study at Oxford University in England after earning a Rhodes Scholarship. Then he spent the entire 2010 NFL season on the Titans' practice squad.

After new Titans coach Mike Munchak cut him in September, Rolle headed to his parents' home in Hamilton Township outside Trenton and waited for another team to give him a shot. The Houston Texans brought him in for a workout in October but didn't sign him. He didn't get another opportunity until the Steelers called his agent, former Penn State and NFL wide receiver Chafie Fields, last weekend and invited Rolle for a tryout.

"I can't say that I was surprised it took so long because the NFL lockout made it difficult for players to catch on with other teams," Fields said in a phone interview. "But I have no doubt that Myron will take full advantage of this opportunity. I think it's ridiculous that he has to prove himself all over again because he's always been the best player on his team at every level. But he's the hardest working player I've ever represented and I'm sure he'll have no trouble proving himself to the Steelers."

Rolle's signing produced mixed reactions on the Steelers' fan websites. Some view him as camp fodder that will be released before the 2012 regular season. Others regard him as a talented player who hasn't gotten an opportunity.

Rolle could replace Will Allen as a backup to Pro Bowl safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu.

"Good signing!" a user named St. Nick said on BehindTheCurtain.com. "He's got the potential and an intelligent, heady (defensive back) certainly can't hurt. Looking forward to seeing what (Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell) Lake and (defensive coordinator Dick) LeBeau can do with him.

ToonaSteel wrote: "I truly hope that during the time off he has kept his nose to the football grind and has stayed physically fit. Who knows? I'm pulling for him, though."

Rolle has remained dedicated to football, despite the numerous opportunities that await him in other fields. He eventually plans to attend medical school in hopes of becoming a neurosurgeon, and he could have a future in politics.

Before he pursues those dreams, however, he wants to fulfill his biggest one and make the NFL. That determination is what led him to keep working out during the season at his high school alma mater, The Hun School, when it would have been easier to just hang up his cleats.

"Honestly, I'm just completely dedicated to football right now," Rolle said. "I know I have other talents that can lead me in a different direction, but at this point in my life, I wanted to make football my No. 1 priority. I don't want to delve into other fields right now. I don't want to be known as a jack of all trades.

"I still plan on going to medical school, but I'm just not interested in that right now. Football is my desire. Once I get that out of my system, then I'll pursue those other goals, but now is not the time. I'm still hungry and I still have a lot to prove."

One of his main challenges has been convincing NFL executives that he is dedicated to the sport. He slipped into the sixth round of the 2010 draft in part because he gave up his final season of college football to earn a master's degree in medical anthropology at Oxford.

During the NFL lockout last summer, Rolle accompanied former President Bill Clinton on a humanitarian mission to the Republic of Congo.

But he never abandoned football. He worked out extensively while at Oxford. Upon returning to the U.S., he prepared for the draft and began the 2011 offseason by training with speed expert Tom Shaw at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"I can't tell you how many times I've called teams for Myron and they ask me if he's committed to football," Fields said. "It's absolutely crazy. I wouldn't be calling them if he didn't want to play. Why do they put a mark next to him because he's accomplished so much outside of football? It's like they think he's too smart to play football."

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Rolle's signing produced mixed reactions on the Steelers' fan websites. Some view him as camp fodder that will be released before the 2012 regular season. Others regard him as a talented player who hasn't gotten an opportunity.

Rolle could replace Will Allen as a backup to Pro Bowl safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu.

"Good signing!" a user named St. Nick said on BehindTheCurtain.com. "He's got the potential and an intelligent, heady (defensive back) certainly can't hurt. Looking forward to seeing what (Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell) Lake and (defensive coordinator bad word) LeBeau can do with him.

ToonaSteel wrote: "I truly hope that during the time off he has kept his nose to the football grind and has stayed physically fit. Who knows? I'm pulling for him, though."

Newspapers quoting message board posters now...better step up your game, fellas!!! :lol:

Hope this this Myron http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIR9eumMwQwed5pR3RxA47HFlrdLNeV 3FVIYZMIWjLgUbLCF44aEWUYDA will be as beloved in Pittsburgh as this Myron http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS37JvI6Wx74AlsUR6Kt9imWNSxHdBwO J1U-n5FBrTJ34MNLaZvxmD-Gw.

Perhaps he will be able to earn a nickname better than "Boo" like this Myron http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlMJRmMmQHpiVcm9yfWqH5tbmMOzs9k N7wJbEPscBuKsBWryIFfMPe_g