PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OC position down to Clements, Haley and Fichtner

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Report: Steelers Plan to Interview Todd Haley and Tom Clements for Offensive Coordinator Position

January 31st, 2012

The Steelers seem to be at 3 candidates right now for the open offensive coordinator position. That could change tomorrow though. They could stay in house with Randy Fichtner or they could go outside and look at Todd Haley and Tom Clements. The Tibune Review is reporting the Steelers plan to interview these 3 guys. It looks like things are starting to heat up in the coaching search. Any of the three of these guys would make me happy. They all run a good offense and could make this team better.

Candidates:

Randy Fichtner- I have warmed to this idea since it came out. After going through all of Fichtnerís past work I was impressed with the offenses that he has run. He did a whole lot with very little talent at his other jobs. He still runs a type of the spread but with a more balanced attack. I would like to see him stay as the QB coach though and one of these other two become OC. I still think he may be to close to Roethlisberger for our own good. If he is chosen it would not be a bad move though.

Todd Haley- This is still my number one choice. His offense in Dallas was great. His offense in Arizona was great and before Jamaal Charles was hurt his offense in Kansas City was growing. All of this was with guys who people either thought were out the door or had no talent when he first arrived. Haley revived Kurt Warnerís career. He has a great scheme and it has seemed to work wherever he has gone. If we were to build some offensive line help Haley could make this team run because of how much talent it already has.

Tom Clements- Another good candidate here. I thought Clements was planning on staying in Green Bay to replace Joe Philbin as OC but that has not happened yet. That is just to the Steelers advantage. Clements has been instrumental in the training of Aaron Rodgers. Look at how good he has become. He also has had his hands on Matt Flynn. Flynn will be the most coveted QB on the open market in free agency as a back up last year. That is unless Peyton Manning reaches the open market. Clements would be a great choice.

The best part about all 3 of these guys is that they are Pittsburgh guys. Fichtner is already part of the Steeles staff, Haley is from Pittsburgh and Clements has coached here before as the QB Coach. They all know that attitude of the City and how things go around here. I would take any of the three of these guys.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/ ... nd+Gold%29 (http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/01/31/report-steelers-to-interview-todd-haley-and-tom-clements-for-offensive-coordinator-position/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29)

BigRob
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm really hoping for Clements.

mazze
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
I really don't buy this whole Fichtner and Ben are too close thing. Ben is a grown man the only person that's going to change what's done once the whistle blows is Ben.

Being that Whiz was calling the plays in Arizona and Weiss called them in KC I'm not sure Haley is the answer for us. He just seems to be surrounded by drama all the time.

Steeler Shades
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Randy Fichtner-.. I would like to see him stay as the QB coach though and one of these other two become OC. I still think he may be to close to Roethlisberger for our own good.
Amen

steelblood
01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I hope that it is Clements or Haley. I think either of them will forge a relationship with Ben AND force him to continue to develop as a rhythm passer. This will extend his career and offer greater offensive flexibility.

Steelers>NFL
01-31-2012, 03:53 PM
I really don't buy this whole Fichtner and Ben are too close thing. Ben is a grown man the only person that's going to change what's done once the whistle is blown is Ben.

Being that Whiz was calling the plays in Arizona and Weiss called them in KC I'm not sure Haley is the answer for us. He just seems to be surrounded by drama all the time.

And Ben is not surrounded by drama all the time?

mazze
01-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I really don't buy this whole Fichtner and Ben are too close thing. Ben is a grown man the only person that's going to change what's done once the whistle is blown is Ben.

And Ben is not surrounded by drama all the time?

He brings on his fair share of drama, but that doesn't mean we need to add any more to the mix.

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Haley + Roethlisberger =

http://famousmonstersoffilmland.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Screen-shot-2011-09-07-at-3.39.39-PM.png

SteelBucks
01-31-2012, 05:33 PM
FWIW, Bouchette believes the new OC won't be Fichtner. He said there are other, more qualified candidates available and Tomlin can't afford get this one wrong.

hawaiiansteel
01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Haley meets with Tomlin for Steelers' O.C. position

Tuesday, January 31, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201111/steeleap1128f_500.jpg

Former Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley yells to his team during the first half of a football game against the Steelers in Kansas City in November.

Former Kansas City Chiefs Coach Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair native, visited the Steelers offices today and interviewed with Coach Mike Tomlin about becoming the Steelers offensive coordinator.

The Steelers official website first reported that Haley was interviewed for the job, but the Post-Gazette has also confirmed the visit.

Haley is the son of former Steelers personnel director Dick Haley and was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals when they lost to the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

Haley is the second former head coach to interview for the position, left vacant when the Steelers would not renew the contract of Bruce Arians. Former Indianapolis Colts Coach Jim Caldwell was at the Steelers facility on Saturday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12031/12 ... z1l4o9nZZY (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12031/1207200-100.stm#ixzz1l4o9nZZY)

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2012, 01:21 PM
The Steelers official website first reported that Haley was interviewed for the job, but the Post-Gazette has also confirmed the visit.

If the team themselves were the first to report this, then where the hell did the newspaper go to also confirm it as well??? :?

Shawn
02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
My vote is for Haley.

Oviedo
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
My vote is for Haley.

I'm glad your not registered to vote on the Southside :wink:

Steelers>NFL
02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
My vote is for Haley.

He said Haley. Not Odumba!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 04:39 PM
My vote is for Haley.

Your vote O?

Oviedo
02-01-2012, 05:58 PM
My vote is for Haley.

Your vote O?

I would vote for Clements faster than I would vote Osama out of office, and believe me we are talking light speed here. However I think he would be the hardest to get. Second choice would be Fichtner.

My write in candidate would be Clyde Christensen.

phillyesq
02-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Tomlin is reportedly interested in talking to Hue Jackson now, per Alby Oxenreiter.

mazze
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Tomlin is reportedly interested in talking to Hue Jackson now, per Alby Oxenreiter.

I saw that on Steelersdepot.com as well. In my absolutely worthless couch surfing opinion JAckson would be a far better fit than Haley.

Flasteel
02-01-2012, 07:05 PM
My vote is for Haley.

Your vote O?

I would vote for Clements faster than I would vote Osama out of office, and believe me we are talking light speed here. However I think he would be the hardest to get. Second choice would be Fichtner.

My write in candidate would be Clyde Christensen.

No thanks on Clyde. I got a first-hand look at him running the offense in Tampa and he was very unimaginative.

I'd take Fichtner or Clements in a heart beat.

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 07:15 PM
No thanks on Clyde. I got a first-hand look at him running the offense in Tampa and he was very unimaginative.

Well, considering that he was working with Brad Johnson, I think he was probably limited in what he wanted to do...

I believe that the year Christiansen was OC, Johnson set a franchise record for completions and Keyshawn Johnson set a franchise record for receptions...

Flasteel
02-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Well, considering that he was working with Brad Johnson, I think he was probably limited in what he wanted to do...

I believe that the year Christiansen was OC, Johnson set a franchise record for completions and Keyshawn Johnson set a franchise record for receptions...

Clyde was only there one year, so there's not a huge body of evidence to have too much of a definitive opinion. I was around the team quite a bit however, and I just remember how vanilla the guy's offense was. He did pass it a lot more though, so you could be right about those records.

This is such a huge hire that I don't want to settle for average or competent. We need someone who philosophically meshes with the vision Tomlin and Rooney have, but also a coach who is creative and has an established track record as strong strategist or getting the most out of his talent.

ikestops85
02-01-2012, 07:57 PM

I also believe that Gruden called all of their plays that year. I don't know how big of an influence Christiansen had on the offense since Gruden doesn't seem to be a guy who likes to delegate.

I like that they are at least interviewing Jackson. I think he could be a very good offensive coordinator and the Oakland experience has probably soured him on wanting the HC position again

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 08:05 PM

I also believe that Gruden called all of their plays that year. I don't know how big of an influence Christiansen had on the offense since Gruden doesn't seem to be a guy who likes to delegate.

I like that they are at least interviewing Jackson. I think he could be a very good offensive coordinator and the Oakland experience has probably soured him on wanting the HC position again

Christiansen was the OC before Gruden took over as HC...

When Gruden came aboard, he retained the defensive staff and some of the offensive staff while Christiansen and Caldwell went with Dungy to Indianapolis...

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Alby Oxenreiter @albyox via twitter:

A source tells me that Mike Tomlin may be interested in talking to recently-fired #Raiders HC Hue Jackson about the #Steelers off coord job.

1 hour ago via web

https://twitter.com/#!/albyox/status/164826934923104257

Chavezz
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I think I'm going to go with Fichtner as my choice. I see a lot of similarities with what he had to work with in Memphis and what we have in Pittsburgh. I just hope we invest in the line to make the most out of what will be a similar offensive philosophy.

Wallace, Brown and Sanders make one heck of a 3 receiver set.

sd steel
02-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Fichtner = Arians Lite

Lets get some new blood.

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Fichtner = Arians Lite

Lets get some new blood.

Really?

Mularkey = Gilbride Lite?

sd steel
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Fichtner = Arians Lite

Lets get some new blood.

Really?

Gilbride's problem wasn't being unable to reign in his QB and dictate the offense he wanted executed. Glibride was too smart for our QB.

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Gilbride's problem wasn't being unable to reign in his QB and dictate the offense he wanted executed. Glibride was too smart for our QB.

Gilbride's problem was that he wasn't smart enough to work with the QB that he had...in many ways, Gilbride had the same "square peg/round hole" problem that many here think Arians had in Pittsburgh...

But, that had no bearing upon what Mularkey did with the OC position and Arians has no bearing upon what Fichtner may or may not do if given the opportunity at the OC position...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Gilbride's problem was that he wasn't smart enough to work with the QB that he had...in many ways, Gilbride had the same "square peg/round hole" problem that many here think Arians had in Pittsburgh...

But, that had no bearing upon what Mularkey did with the OC position and Arians has no bearing upon what Fichtner may or may not do if given the opportunity at the OC position...
:Agree

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
[quote="sd steel":29u9uod5]Fichtner = Arians Lite

Lets get some new blood.

Really?

Gilbride's problem wasn't being unable to reign in his QB and dictate the offense he wanted executed. Glibride was too smart for our QB.[/quote:29u9uod5]

Gilbride's problem was that he instituted an offense that was depending on the QB and receivers to read the D and react on the fly depending on what they read. Obviously, each of the players had to be reading exactly the same thing. It was the kind of O that requires veteran players with high football IQ in order to run.

The problem was that in 1999, his first year, he was working with:

Kordelll Stewart - 5th year
Troy Edwards - rookie
Hines Ward - 2nd year

and the next year brought in Plaxico Burress - rookie

Not the experience needed to execute his offense.

ikestops85
02-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I think its silly to think Fichtner would be just like BA. Besides, I don't think Arians scheme was the problem. It was his play-calling that was the issue.

If Fich would call plays that takes advantage of the talent and recognize where we lack talent on the team it would be an immense improvement.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I think its silly to think Fichtner would be just like BA. Besides, I don't think Arians scheme was the problem. It was his play-calling that was the issue.

If Fich would call plays that takes advantage of the talent and recognize where we lack talent on the team it would be an immense improvement.

The hits on Ben were the main problem IMO. I'm not confident Ben will take less hits with Fitch at OC.

sd steel
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
[quote=Slapstick][quote="sd steel":9nbxg71q]Fichtner = Arians Lite

Lets get some new blood.

Really?

Gilbride's problem wasn't being unable to reign in his QB and dictate the offense he wanted executed. Glibride was too smart for our QB.[/quote:9nbxg71q]

Gilbride's problem was that he instituted an offense that was depending on the QB and receivers to read the D and react on the fly depending on what they read. Obviously, each of the players had to be reading exactly the same thing. It was the kind of O that requires veteran players with high football IQ in order to run.

The problem was that in 1999, his first year, he was working with:

Kordelll Stewart - 5th year
Troy Edwards - rookie
Hines Ward - 2nd year

and the next year brought in Plaxico Burress - rookie

Not the experience needed to execute his offense.[/quote:9nbxg71q]
:Agree

sd steel
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
The reason why I don't want Fich is because I think he will end up in the same position as Arians, basically keeping Ben happy and allowing him to continue playing with the sandlot approach before the play breaks down.

I like Ben using his skills to create on the fly, but we need someone who owes his job to Rooney or Tomlin, not someone who owes his job to Ben. In order for Ben to improve he needs to abide by the rules of a system and take what the defense is giving him before he breaks the pocket and turns it into backyard football. Arians let Ben be Ben in my opinion, and although that results in some great highlight plays it doesn't result in consistency, which this offense needs to be the top team in the league year in and year out. I don't have anything against Fich, but I think new blood will force Ben to improve.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 12:40 PM
The reason why I don't want Fich is because I think he will end up in the same position as Arians, basically keeping Ben happy and allowing him to continue playing with the sandlot approach before the play breaks down.

I like Ben using his skills to create on the fly, but we need someone who owes his job to Rooney or Tomlin, not someone who owes his job to Ben. In order for Ben to improve he needs to abide by the rules of a system and take what the defense is giving him before he breaks the pocket and turns it into backyard football. Arians let Ben be Ben in my opinion, and although that results in some great highlight plays it doesn't result in consistency, which this offense needs to be the top team in the league year in and year out. I don't have anything against Fich, but I think new blood will force Ben to improve.
:Clap

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Any OC who comes to the Steelers will have to work with Ben and keep him happy...it's just a fact of life...

Should it be that way? Perhaps not...but, it is...

Kevin Gilbride has proven himself to be a very, very good OC...who lasted longer in Pittsburgh: Gilbride or Kordell?

sd steel
02-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Any OC who comes to the Steelers will have to work with Ben and keep him happy...it's just a fact of life...

Should it be that way? Perhaps not...but, it is...

Kevin Gilbride has proven himself to be a very, very good OC...who lasted longer in Pittsburgh: Gilbride or Kordell?

Fich is too close to Ben in my opinion to make Ben change his style of play to fit a system. Ben needs a boss not a buddy.

I never said anything negative about Gilbride, he tried to have Kordell execute an offense that was over his head. It was just the wrong fit at the time. Kordell needed someone to build and offense around his strengths.

Gilbride would probably be good for Ben, and Arians probably would have been good for Kordell. Kordell needed an ally, Ben needs a mentor/coach.

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Fich is too close to Ben in my opinion to make Ben change his style of play to fit a system. Ben needs a boss not a buddy.

I never said anything negative about Gilbride, he tried to have Kordell execute an offense that was over his head. It was just the wrong fit at the time. Kordell needed someone to build and offense around his strengths.

Gilbride would probably be good for Ben, and Arians probably would have been good for Kordell. Kordell needed an ally, Ben needs a mentor/coach.

The complaints about Ben center around his mechanics and decision making (ie. holding on to the ball too long)...the complaints about Arians centered on predictable and inefficient play calling...

I want the Steelers to hire an OC to be a good play caller, first and foremost, which Fichtner has shown the ability to do in his other positions...

Perhaps Ben needs to have a different QB coach to help him work on his decision making and mechanics...the system is already designed around Ben...the offense works and it works well, for the most part...

Kordell didn't need an ally...he needed someone who didn't try to jam a square peg into a round hole...

sd steel
02-02-2012, 01:55 PM

The complaints about Ben center around his mechanics and decision making (ie. holding on to the ball too long)...the complaints about Arians centered on predictable and inefficient play calling...

I want the Steelers to hire an OC to be a good play caller, first and foremost, which Fichtner has shown the ability to do in his other positions...

Perhaps Ben needs to have a different QB coach to help him work on his decision making and mechanics...the system is already designed around Ben...the offense works and it works well, for the most part...

Kordell didn't need an ally...he needed someone who didn't try to jam a square peg into a round hole...

Whose complaints? My complaints regarding Ben is that he doesn't focus on taking advantage of what's given him by the defense, and he tries to make every play the big play. We need to focus on timing routes to the outside to open up the middle and use quick hitting slant patterns to get first downs. Ben wants to take 7 step drops and hit 30 yard passes on every play, and Arians called those plays because that is what Ben wanted. Ben holding the ball too long is due to the fact that receivers aren't making their breaks until 15 yards down field. Arians wasn't calling plays for the Steelers, he was calling plays for Ben.

And you obviously didn't read what I wrote about why Kordell was unsuccessful with Gilbride. Just because you read "square peg, round hole" somewhere doesn't mean you have to write it everytime, but basically I said as much. Kordell needed someone to call plays that fit him, Gilbride forced his system to a guy who couldn't execute it. An ally would have worked with Kordell to build a system that Kordell would be successful in.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Fitch isn't that guy or Ben would be doing all those things while Fitch was QB coach. That being said... I don't think anyone is going to change how Ben throws the football once the ball is snapped. He prefers contact.... and will wait it out regardless of the play call when he has his mind made up on going deep.

sd steel
02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Fitch isn't that guy or Ben would be doing all those things while Fitch was QB coach. That being said... I don't think anyone is going to change how Ben throws the football once the ball is snapped. He prefers contact.... and will wait it out regardless of the play call when he has his mind made up on going deep.

You might be right regarding Ben, but I think if there is no deep option and an authority figure (coach) is having Ben consistently focus on reading the defense and hitting routes with a higher probability of success and that is the daily focus of our game plans he will move more in that direction.

Don't get me wrong, because I don't want to handcuff Ben, but I want to make him more consistent so we can sustain drives with play calling not sandlot football tactics.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM

You might be right regarding Ben, but I think if there is no deep option and an authority figure (coach) is having Ben consistently focus on reading the defense and hitting routes with a higher probability of success and that is the daily focus of our game plans he will move more in that direction.

Don't get me wrong, because I don't want to handcuff Ben, but I want to make him more consistent so we can sustain drives with play calling not sandlot football tactics.

but the deep option forces the D to double Wallace... well, it used to but after watching the Pro bowl I think defenders have figured out all you have to do is touch Wallace and he is easily bumped off his route.

sd steel
02-02-2012, 02:29 PM

but the deep option forces the D to double Wallace... well, it used to but after watching the Pro bowl I think defenders have figured out all you have to do is touch Wallace and he is easily bumped off his route.

I'm not saying not to run the deep route to spread the defense, but on certain plays the route should be run only as a decoy. It should not be in the QB's head that the route is even being run aside from knowing that a corner and a safety will be taken out of the picture.

RuthlessBurgher
02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Fitch isn't that guy or Ben would be doing all those things while Fitch was QB coach. That being said... I don't think anyone is going to change how Ben throws the football once the ball is snapped. He prefers contact.... and will wait it out regardless of the play call when he has his mind made up on going deep.

I'm not saying not to run the deep route to spread the defense, but on certain plays the route should be run only as a decoy. It should not be in the QB's head that the route is even being run aside from knowing that a corner and a safety will be taken out of the picture.[/quote:3v8ps9iy]

Using a fly pattern as a decoy with Ben is analagous to offering Cookie Monster a plate of carrots, celery, and cucumbers, and telling him to ignore that fresh batch of Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies. :mrgreen:

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 02:58 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Fitch isn't that guy or Ben would be doing all those things while Fitch was QB coach. That being said... I don't think anyone is going to change how Ben throws the football once the ball is snapped. He prefers contact.... and will wait it out regardless of the play call when he has his mind made up on going deep.

I'm not saying not to run the deep route to spread the defense, but on certain plays the route should be run only as a decoy. It should not be in the QB's head that the route is even being run aside from knowing that a corner and a safety will be taken out of the picture.[/quote:o160l72a]

I'm pretty sure Wallace was the decoy on half the passes last season.

sd steel
02-02-2012, 03:04 PM

I'm not saying not to run the deep route to spread the defense, but on certain plays the route should be run only as a decoy. It should not be in the QB's head that the route is even being run aside from knowing that a corner and a safety will be taken out of the picture.

I'm pretty sure Wallace was the decoy on half the passes last season.[/quote:2c8s8n1g]

But I wonder on how many of those plays he ended being a consideration?

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I have no idea but I bet a few sacks, hits and incompletions were due to Ben looking at Wallace instead of hitting Mend quickly in the flat.

I think the flats are severely under used by Ben and this is where I think Mend would show his worth.

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Whose complaints? My complaints regarding Ben is that he doesn't focus on taking advantage of what's given him by the defense, and he tries to make every play the big play. We need to focus on timing routes to the outside to open up the middle and use quick hitting slant patterns to get first downs. Ben wants to take 7 step drops and hit 30 yard passes on every play, and Arians called those plays because that is what Ben wanted. Ben holding the ball too long is due to the fact that receivers aren't making their breaks until 15 yards down field. Arians wasn't calling plays for the Steelers, he was calling plays for Ben.

And you obviously didn't read what I wrote about why Kordell was unsuccessful with Gilbride. Just because you read "square peg, round hole" somewhere doesn't mean you have to write it everytime, but basically I said as much. Kordell needed someone to call plays that fit him, Gilbride forced his system to a guy who couldn't execute it. An ally would have worked with Kordell to build a system that Kordell would be successful in.

Whose complaints? I'm sorry...I thought you read this board...

On most of the plays like those on your list, Ben usually had another option open in a shorter distance that he either didn't see or chose to ignore...How often was Heath Miller running free?...That is why I advocate for a different QB coach...one that does not have a pre-existing relationship with Roethlisberger...

I guess we just have different definitions of "ally". I thought someone who designed an offense around the strengths of his players was called an "offensive coordinator"...

Oh, and I use the square peg/round hole analogy because it is a common analogy in the English language...

mazze
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
It looks as though Clements is out, Steelers Depot is reporting that the Packers have promoted him to OC.

Steelhere10
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
He was never interviewed according to the Pack staff/ media. Whoever came up with that was false!... Like I said Randy is the OC and other interviews are for the QB coach... write it down!

mazze
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
He was never interviewed according to the Pack staff/ media. Whoever came up with that was false!... Like I said Randy is the OC and other interviews are for the QB coach... write it down!

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Iron Shiek
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I haven't had a chance to click through all the posts, but has anyone mentioned the fact that John Clayton tweeted a little while ago that Coach Kirby is basically going to be the OC if he recovers okay from the burns. He says that Steelers are basically waiting for him:

https://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN/status/165220581325799424