PDA

View Full Version : LaCanfora says Tomlin gathering info on Haley

SteelerNation1
01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Reported on his twitter feed

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Chiefs refusing pay to former coach Haley?

By Mark J. Miller Fri, Jan 27, 2012
US Presswire

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/dsTovya7pm89DCmtIAKpug--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTE5MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusrumors/haley-todd.jpg

In the days after the 2009 Super Bowl, a 27-23 Pittsburgh Steelers win over the Arizona Cardinals, the offensive coordinator for the losing team, Todd Haley, signed on to become the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs for the next four seasons.

Things didn't start out well. Haley's Chiefs lost the first five games they played. Not long after the team's first win under Haley, running back Larry Johnson very publicly disparaged Haley as not being a very good coach. Johnson was suspended and eventually released, but his actions hadn't helped Haley much.

What did help Haley was taking the team to its first AFC West title for the first time since 2003 the following season. That was all squandered quickly, though, before last season even got underway when Haley decided to play his starters in the final preseason game and then promptly lost tight end Tony Moeaki for the season. The team lost the first three games of the season and then miraculously won four in a row to take first place in the AFC West. Things fell apart after that and Haley was fired on Dec. 12 after compiling a 5-8 record for the season.

Now Haley has one more season left on his contract and XTRA Sports 910 radio in Arizona has it that the team is refusing to pay him those dollars since he was canned for "cause."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/NFL-scoop ... 38100.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/NFL-scoop-du-jour/chiefs-refusing-pay-former-coach-haley-115638100.html)

SteelBucks
01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Haley is a little nuts....he once accused the Chiefs of bugging his office phone. :D

Flasteel
01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Haley just seems like a weird douchebag (hmmm...almost a Douche Weirdo reference).

Unless he is a weird douchebag genius, then I don't think we should spend too much time gathering information.

Next!

Shoe
01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Truth is, everyone who is making remarks about Haley's personality are just speculating. Haley has held the position of OC or HC since 2007. In that time, he has:

07: Revived Kurt Warner's career (his promotion coincided,a t the very least)
08: Team made the SB based on the offense's production
09: Took over a 2-14 team (they happened to double their win total)
10: Led his team to the playoffs (was one of the surprise teams in the league that year)
11: Team fell back to mediocrity (lost their starting QB)

Truth is, him getting fired after that production (by the Chiefs) is the reason teams suck... they don't give guys a fair chance, now having to start all over again.

Haley is a good coach. Whether you think he's an A-hole or whatever. The fact is, the guy can coach. Throw in his Steeler ties, it's not a bad hire (especially if Tomlin deems it so).

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Haley is a good coach. Whether you think he's an A-hole or whatever. The fact is, the guy can coach. Throw in his Steeler ties, it's not a bad hire (especially if Tomlin deems it so).

but what if Haley is indeed an arrogant A-hole and can't get along with Ben?

Flasteel
01-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Truth is, everyone who is making remarks about Haley's personality are just speculating. Haley has held the position of OC or HC since 2007. In that time, he has:

07: Revived Kurt Warner's career (his promotion coincided,a t the very least)
08: Team made the SB based on the offense's production
09: Took over a 2-14 team (they happened to double their win total)
10: Led his team to the playoffs (was one of the surprise teams in the league that year)
11: Team fell back to mediocrity (lost their starting QB)

Truth is, him getting fired after that production (by the Chiefs) is the reason teams suck... they don't give guys a fair chance, now having to start all over again.

You're right shoe, but I think we phrased it appropriately to reflect that it's nothing more than our perception of him. Apparently, that perception exits for a whole lot of folks. I've never met the guy and everyone who shares that opinion could be completely wrong about him.

With that acknowledged, you may want to check out the link below. It goes into CIA-level detail about Haley and how his personality may be effecting his marketability as a coach. It's very long, but fascinating stuff. The author actually shares your high opinion of his coaching acumen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1026 ... ting-hired (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1026276-todd-haleys-bugging-allegations-do-claims-hurt-his-chances-of-getting-hired)

Mister Pittsburgh
01-31-2012, 12:10 AM
A have a tuff time thinking he would come to the Syeelers & act like sn toward his hometown team.

Chadman
01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
http://images.checkoutmycards.com/zoom/a8582fa2-0e7c-4bbb-bf8d-70a119a18ef9.jpg

Reports now saying we might be looking at bringing one of our own back to the fold..

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... lt/9680269 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/report_mike_tomlin_checking_out_todd_haley_alex_va n_pelt/9680269)

Dresden
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
The guys a far superior OC than Bruce Arians and will not kow Tow to Roethlisberger. That's enough for me,..i'm in.

Dee Dub
01-31-2012, 01:17 AM
The thing that has always bothered me about Todd Haley is he has never played football of any type, Not Pop-Warner, not high school, not college, not pro. And to me should be kind of important.

papillon
01-31-2012, 07:24 AM
I'd like to see Van Pelt get the chance, he's young, he didn't have the greatest physical skills to play quarterback, but he appeared to have a good football IQ, the problem will be if he'd be able to get Ben to do anything that he wants done if Ben isn't on board with it.

Pappy

mazze
01-31-2012, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure I would proclaim that Haley resurrected Warners carreer as Whiz was actually calling the offensive plays.

7 UP
01-31-2012, 08:18 AM
I'd like to see Van Pelt get the chance, he's young, he didn't have the greatest physical skills to play quarterback, but he appeared to have a good football IQ, the problem will be if he'd be able to get Ben to do anything that he wants done if Ben isn't on board with it.

Pappy

:Agree Van Pelt is the first candidate mentioned that dosent make me gag. I actually think he could bring some fresh ideas to the table.

Haley on the other hand isnt going to work out. I have no doubt he is a good offensive mind. But he has been a troll everywhere he has been. I dont think you need someone with that kind of reputation around here.

Oviedo
01-31-2012, 08:30 AM

Pappy

:Agree Van Pelt is the first candidate mentioned that dosent make me gag. I actually think he could bring some fresh ideas to the table.

Haley on the other hand isnt going to work out. I have no doubt he is a good offensive mind. But he has been a troll everywhere he has been. I dont think you need someone with that kind of reputation around here.

Clyde Christensen is the guy that doesn't gag me.

steelblood
01-31-2012, 08:55 AM

Pappy

They aren't interviewing Christensen according to reports. It is Clements, Haley, or Fitchner. Which one do you like from those?

feltdizz
01-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Pappy

where is queerbait? :lol:

Slapstick
01-31-2012, 09:33 AM
If Tomlin is looking to interview Van Pelt for QB coach, doesn't that point to Fichtner?

ramblinjim
01-31-2012, 09:33 AM
I need to learn more about these guys. One thing Haley did well in Kansas City was run the football though......

7 UP
01-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Lets remember one thing about Haley. During his one successful season in KC he did not call the plays. Charlie Weis did.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
If Tomlin is looking to interview Van Pelt for QB coach, doesn't that point to Fichtner?

I would think so.

Oviedo
01-31-2012, 10:10 AM

Pappy

They aren't interviewing Christensen according to reports. It is Clements, Haley, or Fitchner. Which one do you like from those?

I'd prefer Clements nbut I don't think he leaves GB so that leaves Fitchner. I want no parts of Haley. IMO Haley and Ben is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

SteelBucks
01-31-2012, 10:13 AM

In order....Clements, Fitchner, Haley.

Oviedo
01-31-2012, 10:16 AM

I would think so.

:Agree However is that good? Will anything change? Was it just Arians' playcalling or do we need schematic adjustments, e.g. Fullback

Hopefully they fix the OL so Fichtner or whoever it is has a chance to be successful.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
I said from the first day BA was out Haley was my first choice and that hasn't changed. Clements would be my #2, Fichtner would be #3, & Van Pelt last. Fichtner would be the easiest transition but I'm not so sure that is the highest priority since he hasn't been promoted yet.

In the professional ranks it is clear that the "buddy" relationship amongst players & coaches has lead to underachieving and I have seen a little of that lately. There are coaches and there are players...And players need to reminded of the order of things. There is nothing wrong with a good relationship...There just has to be a level of coach-player relationship. BB taking BA & Fichtner to the Probowl was a cushion. I don't like seeing that. Respect is one thing...Accountability still has to be maintained. BA had his chance to correct it and he didn't. Neither one would point the finger at each other but BB will take all the blame. That's enough of that $hit. I also get the feeling that was Rooney's thoughts since it seemed like Tomlin was comfortable with BA returning but word came down from the top. Nothing pi$$es me off more than hearing someone talk about direction over and over but no results come forth. I'm sure that exact thought has ran through Rooney's head alot lately.

The veteran presence is going to deminish quickly and the young talented egos need to be kept in check and maintain the professionalism expected of a Pittsburgh Steeler. Tomlin's supporting cast needs an injection. One thing that has remained a constant through the evolution of the game....Discipline. Just look at the run of playoff coaches as of late. Familiarity over a long period of time equals "soft". The Steelers are a little "soft" in the coaching ranks right now in my opinion.

phillyesq
01-31-2012, 10:48 AM

:Agree

ikestops85
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM

I'd like to see them give Hue Jackson a shot at the job. I don't think his offense would be that much different than BA's but he doesn't have a problem running the ball --- with a FB!

Steelers>NFL
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM

Pappy

I'd prefer Clements nbut I don't think he leaves GB so that leaves Fitchner. I want no parts of Haley. IMO Haley and Ben is a trainwreck waiting to happen.
Ben has already "wrecked" the train a few times in the offseason. And the team keeps throwing him back on for another ride. Having said that, why not give Haley a chance?

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
1. Tom Clements as O.C., Randy Fichtner as QB coach.

2. Randy Fichtner as O.C., Alex Van Pelt as QB coach.

3. Hue Jackson as O.C., Randy Fichtner as QB coach.

4. Todd Haley as O.C., Randy Fichtner as QB coach.

costanza2k1
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm very happy that Tomlin is being very thorough about this and just didn't promote Fitchner. He still may be the best person for the job but this role is very critical to just promote from within. Interesting off season so far.

feltdizz
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
I can't see how Fitchner would improve Ben's tweaking.... I think we need a new set of eyes on Ben.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM

I would think so.

:Agree However is that good? Will anything change? Was it just Arians' playcalling or do we need schematic adjustments, e.g. Fullback

Hopefully they fix the OL so Fichtner or whoever it is has a chance to be successful.

I think that if Fichtner comes in, he will have a talk with Rooney and Tomlin, and will make schematic changes accordingly. I suspect that part of the reason that BA got canned is that Rooney told him what he wanted, but Arians didn't really think he needed to make those kinds of changes. Hopefully, Fichtner would be better than Arians at making in-game adjustments to his playcalling.

Whether it's Fichtner, Clements or Haley, I'm optimistic about offensive improvement.

And you're right, the OL is in desperate need of upgrade at a position or two.

Doogie36
01-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Funny how everyone wanted BA gone and now that we are left without an OC we are left scratching our heads at who is better????

Sometimes you should be careful for what you wish for! Clearly the millions of steeler fans who hated BA could clearly do better! Maybe we should just hire a fan to run this offense! LOL

What makes matters worse is the fact that OFFENSIVE POWERHOUSE INDY wanted him! That is a clear slap in the face of all those fans who wanted him gone! Surely the COLTS dont need an OC! Surely even if they get LUCK they wouldnt want a guy as horrible as BA to teach him an offense. Why in the world would a Colts team want our horrible OC? Crazy!!!!

Surely Tomlin and Ben must be nuts in the head for wanting him to stay! LOL

Now who is left to get? Guys who are unproven and Haley! WOW......yeah i feel much better for next year!!! We have young explosive WR's who now have to learn a new system!!! Ben will have to learn a new system as well!!! Who is our RB going to be? How much of this will cause frustration on a franchise QB? Is he going to be willing to adjust? Will it take more than 1 season?

Well i sure hope the fans who wanted him gone have submitted their applications!

I for one wished he would have stayed! This offense for how HORRIBLE it was all year long..LOL....wasnt to blame!!! Redman played lights out in the playoff game, Brown steppred up and BA or whoever had the balls to sit down WARD. We used sets to help our OL block! We used bubble screens, we threw the ball deep, we destroyed the Patriots with passing the ROCK to miller like 10 consecutive times. LOL.............we also heard time and time again how GREAT the steelers were on their opening drives of each game where who called those plays again????

Sure sign Haley! Yeah!! Sign whoever! it doesnt matter! If you lost the boss you liked at work and had to answer to a new guy how would your performance be??? It's gonna take awhile to win over these guys and to have them buy what you are selling. In a short 16 game season its hard to do no matter who it might be.

LouSteel
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Funny how everyone wanted BA gone and now that we are left without an OC we are left scratching our heads at who is better????

Sometimes you should be careful for what you wish for! Clearly the millions of steeler fans who hated BA could clearly do better! Maybe we should just hire a fan to run this offense! LOL

What makes matters worse is the fact that OFFENSIVE POWERHOUSE INDY wanted him! That is a clear slap in the face of all those fans who wanted him gone! Surely the COLTS dont need an OC! Surely even if they get LUCK they wouldnt want a guy as horrible as BA to teach him an offense. Why in the world would a Colts team want our horrible OC? Crazy!!!!

Surely Tomlin and Ben must be nuts in the head for wanting him to stay! LOL

Now who is left to get? Guys who are unproven and Haley! WOW......yeah i feel much better for next year!!! We have young explosive WR's who now have to learn a new system!!! Ben will have to learn a new system as well!!! Who is our RB going to be? How much of this will cause frustration on a franchise QB? Is he going to be willing to adjust? Will it take more than 1 season?

Well i sure hope the fans who wanted him gone have submitted their applications!

I for one wished he would have stayed! This offense for how HORRIBLE it was all year long..LOL....wasnt to blame!!! Redman played lights out in the playoff game, Brown steppred up and BA or whoever had the balls to sit down WARD. We used sets to help our OL block! We used bubble screens, we threw the ball deep, we destroyed the Patriots with passing the ROCK to miller like 10 consecutive times. LOL.............we also heard time and time again how GREAT the steelers were on their opening drives of each game where who called those plays again????

Sure sign Haley! Yeah!! Sign whoever! it doesnt matter! If you lost the boss you liked at work and had to answer to a new guy how would your performance be??? It's gonna take awhile to win over these guys and to have them buy what you are selling. In a short 16 game season its hard to do no matter who it might be.

If a new boss came in I'd be busting my rear to be noticed as a hard worker -- not slacking off :lol:

The simple truth of the matter is that, no matter how explosive our WRs are, no matter how great our QB is, we've been a middle of the pack offensive team. We need some fresh eyes to try something new. I'm not cool with complacency.

Doogie36
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I agree but you just described our Defense, not our offense.

Doogie36
01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
oh and you are suck up! LOL

if you had 10 years with a company and had 1 boss, there is no way you would just take orders from a new guy and say YES SIR i'd be glad to do it a different way SIR.

LOL Nice try though.

LouSteel
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
I agree but you just described our Defense, not our offense.

I've got my complaints about our D -- hell, name a Steeler fan that doesn't.

But for the past 5 years, we've been one of the top 5 teams in DYPG. 3 of those years we've been #1. We are consistently one of the best defenses in the NFL, year in and year out.

My complaints with our D are situational. My complaints with our O are structural.

LouSteel
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
oh and you are suck up! LOL

Maybe ;)

if you had 10 years with a company and had 1 boss, there is no way you would just take orders from a new guy and say YES SIR i'd be glad to do it a different way SIR.

LOL Nice try though.

If my boss signed me to a 100 million dollar contract I'd know he expects me to act like a professional, not like a whining toddler who misses mommy. I know I'd expect that of any of my employees. Hell, I'd expect that of any MAN, no matter the situation.

If Ben can't live without his bestest of friends at OC, maybe we can live without Ben.

But I haven't heard any indication that Ben has been anything but a professional in the wake of BA's firing -- apart from internet rumors from noted rumor-monger Florio. So I'm thinking the only people advancing this particular theory are internet posters.

Doogie36
01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
we have 9 studs on defense!!!

They got killed in baltimore twice, got embarrassed in Houston, almost embarrassed in Indy! And Teebow sit franchise records against this D.

Our offense has a bad LINE. We all know that! we cant pay all 22 guys!! Defense is PAID!!! Our offense is paid other than our LINE! Ba used those bunch sets to help with blocking! An average fan can see that!!! He also used 4 wide as well! The complexity of this offense goes unnoticed! Where was that on the defensive side of the ball? I saw 0 pass rush way too many times this year! Best pass rushing game was vs NE.

on a bad leg Ben and team made the plays offensively to beat the Broncos. Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Cotchery, and Redman. Did we have all those guys in week 1 when we started the season? complacency??? a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like

Our offense who was down that entire game wasnt complacent and in fact they fought their butts off to get back in the game. They sensed the danger and did what they had to do!!! Our complacent D was the fault in Denver and against the Ravens the 2nd game. Our offense did enough to go ahead in that game tooo!!!!

Lets sign a NEW OC!! Surely that will light a fire under the guys butts who have to learn new routes, new assignments, new timing, and new formations. Sounds like just what our team needs. LOL

Yes Sir i'll be glad to learn those new plays!!! I will show you how willing i am to work for you Sir! LOL

Doogie36
01-31-2012, 02:36 PM
There will be mini camps this year so that will help! without question!

But i'd much rather have a complacency on offense than on defense! Rather know I can feel secure and safe knowing where my guys are going to be on any given play! Especially while under a heavy pass rush! Call me crazy!!!!

The only thing I hated on offense was Ben waiting till 1 second left on a clock for the silent count leg lift! Surely that was BA's fault. LOL

100 million dollars and can't left his leg with 2 seconds on the clock once in awhile? Maybe the new OC will teach him that trick. GOD I HOPE SO!!!

fezziwig
01-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Haley seems like a double edged sword. On one hand he has a dominating personality that I think Ben needs. On the other hand, will it be too over the top that Ben will reject Haley.

Also, Haleys personality might be too much for Tomlin and his calm demeanor.

Someone said. be careful what we wish for about Arians. Just because Haley is a loose canon and that we haven't picked an OC yet, doesn't mean Arians is now all of a sudden the golden boy. The guy stunk up the place, grandmothers could figure out his offensive schemes and Ben ran Arians.

Randy is no upside to Arians, we will just get more of the same. Clements, I know little of so I can't really give an opinion but, this team needs to hire outside the box so that Ben, can't pressure or assume current/old friendships equals, getting his way.

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Clements, I know little of so I can't really give an opinion but, this team needs to hire outside the box so that Ben, can't pressure or assume current/old friendships equals, getting his way.

Just know that, under his tutelage, Elvis Grbac made the Pro Bowl in 2000, Kordell Stewart made the Pro Bowl in 2001, and Tommy Maddox made the Pro Bowl in 2002.

fezziwig
01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
I remember him now......man, am I getting old.

hawaiiansteel
02-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Haley interviews, unlikely to get Arians' job

Wednesday, February 01, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair native, is the latest candidate to interview for the Steelers' vacant offensive coordinator position. But the possibility of him being hired to replace Bruce Arians seems remote.

Haley, the son of former Steelers personnel director Dick Haley, was at the South Side facility Tuesday to meet with coach Mike Tomlin -- an interview uncharacteristically announced on the team's website.

Haley is the second former head coach to interview for the position. Former Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell was at the Steelers facility Saturday. Caldwell never was offered the position and agreed Monday to become the Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach.

Haley's interview was something of a surprise because he has a reputation for not getting along with players and coaches. He was the offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals when they lost against the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

Meantime, Arians was announced Tuesday as the new offensive coordinator in Indianapolis, a move that came 10 days after the Steelers announced he had decided to retire. But Arians, 59, was not offered a contract to return in 2012 and never intended to retire. He considered several jobs, including quarterbacks coach in Arizona, before joining the Colts.

The Colts also announced they have signed former Steelers assistant offensive line coach Harold Goodwin as their offensive line coach.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/12 ... z1l6Xpef00 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12032/1207231-66.stm#ixzz1l6Xpef00)

ikestops85
02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Didn't Haley fire Chan Gailey right before the season started when he took over as Head Coach of the Chiefs? I seem to recall that there is always drama surrounding Haley. Something the Steeler organization tends to frown upon. I don't think he has a shot at getting the job.

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
When Mike Mularkey was promoted from within, the Steelers hired Tom Clements as QB coach...as has been pointed out, the Steelers sent Kordell Stewart to the Pro Bowl in 2001 and Tommy Maddox in 2002...

I think the Steelers would do just as well to promote Fichtner from within and hire a good QB coach to work with Roethlisberger...

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Didn't Haley fire Chan Gailey right before the season started when he took over as Head Coach of the Chiefs? I seem to recall that there is always drama surrounding Haley. Something the Steeler organization tends to frown upon. I don't think he has a shot at getting the job.

Yup...less than two weeks before the season opener, and the head coach decides to take over O.C. and QB duties as well.

feltdizz
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Yup...less than two weeks before the season opener, and the head coach decides to take over O.C. and QB duties as well.

some guys aren't HC material....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Two Roosters in the hen house and one had to go. Gailey wasn't happy he didn't get his shot and was very reluctant to take on any of Haley's ideas or beliefs. If I remember correctly, that was he first time LJ said something stupid and the fuse was lit.