PDA

View Full Version : Keith Butler's Work...

steelblood
01-29-2012, 05:00 PM
I was thinking about Butler and what he has does for the linebackers. He has been a good coach, but I do not find him irreplaceable. IMO, he has not developed young talent quickly. Other than Woodley, no other linebacker made a significant impact until after his second year. Harrison was cut several times during Butler's tenure and it took him five years to crack the lineup (yes some of this had to do with LeBeau, but Clark Haggans was a very average player). I also think it is important to remember that Woodley and Harrison's domination seemed to coincide with Kevin Greene's special camp internship before the 2008 season. After this internship which Harrison and Woodley both said was very helpful, Harrison's was an MVP year and Woodley had his breakout year. Greene then went directly to Green Bay and has done a fanastic job developing young linebackers quickly. This is very telling for me and may demonstrate the difference between a dynamic coordinator and a good one.

I was happy when Ray Horton took another job as I thought he did not develop talent well at all. Carnell Lake has been very good and (other than the playoff game) had our corners playing the best ball of their careers. He even got rookie Cortez Allen on the field. I believe that losing Keith Butler could be an opportunity to find another young, hungry coach. Tomlin has made good choices in assistants like Lake and Kugler. Hopefully, (if we lose Butler) he can find another.

focosteeler
01-29-2012, 05:38 PM
My friend keeps telling me he wants them to hire Mike Vrable. I didn't even realize he retired let alone was coaching somewhere.

Slapstick
01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Vrabel was the Ohio State Buckeyes' LB coach last season...from what I understand, Meyer retained him as the D Line coach.

SteelBucks
01-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Vrabel was the Ohio State Buckeyes' LB coach last season...from what I understand, Meyer retained him as the D Line coach.

Correct.