PDA

View Full Version : Jim Caldwell meets with Steelers about coordinator job

Jooser
01-29-2012, 04:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nator-job/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/29/jim-caldwell-meets-with-steelers-about-coordinator-job/)

Jim Caldwell meets with Steelers about coordinator job

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 29, 2012, 2:32 PM EST

AP
The Steelers and Colts may wind up unintentionally trading offensive coaches.

Deposed Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has landed with the Colts. And dismissed Colts head coach Jim Caldwell may wind up in Pittsburgh.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Steelers interviewed Caldwell for their vacant coordinator position over the weekend. They are considering other candidates as well.

Going with Caldwell would clearly mark a different direction for the Steelers offense. Florio wrote earlier this week about how Ben Roethlisberger could make a power play in an effort to get quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner elevated to the offensive coordinator job.

The Steelers already showed Roethlisberger his input matters only so much when they got rid of Arians. Choosing Caldwell over an in-house candidate like Fichtner would really hammer the point home.

Here we go..... :roll:

Jooser
01-29-2012, 04:03 PM
What's next, swap Ben and Peyton? :D

sentinel33
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Really can't stand florio. A douche of epic proportions.

Jooser
01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Really can't stand florio. A douche of epic proportions.

It was posted by Rosenthal. But I agree, Florio is a douche.

NorthCoast
01-29-2012, 07:46 PM
This smacks of taking the lazy way out to find an OC. There has to be more qualified people out there than a guy that rode his QB's coattails to greatness (...aka BA).

Chucktownsteeler
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Smacks of cronyism to me.

Caldwell blows.

We fire a coordinator that averaged 21 points last year to hire one that averaged 15 points?

C-town

:tt1

Slapstick
01-29-2012, 08:11 PM
What a coach or coordinator does with another team isn't necessarily an accurate indicator...

Dick LeBeau's defenses in Cincinnati? Not so good...

Tom Clements in Buffalo? Not so good...

steelz09
01-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Now that it's Tomlins "team" and not Cowhers.. things are really starting to show.

This is pathetic.

BURGH86STEEL
01-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Regardless of who the Steelers hire as OC, people gonna complain. It's not surprising that people are complaining before a decision has been made.

Sugar
01-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Regardless of who the Steelers hire as OC, people gonna complain. It's not surprising that people are complaining before a decision has been made.

Yeah, they can't win for losing on this one. If they hire a name, there will be plenty to complain about because anybody with a record can be taken apart. If they hire a newby, people will complain about lack of NFL experience, yada, yada...

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Source: Ravens to hire Jim Caldwell

Updated: January 30, 2012

Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Caldwell plans to join the offensive coaching staff of the Baltimore Ravens, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Ravens announced last week that Cam Cameron would return as offensive coordinator, but they still need a quarterbacks coach for Joe Flacco. Caldwell now appears to be the choice.

Caldwell had visited Pittsburgh this past weekend. The Steelers are looking to replace Bruce Arians, who retired as offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh before taking the same position with the Colts.

Caldwell was fired after a 2-14 season in Indianapolis during which the team was without quarterback Peyton Manning, who missed the entire year while recovering from neck surgery.

The Colts fired Caldwell after three seasons. The team went to the Super Bowl during Caldwell's first year, but this year locked up the No. 1 overall draft pick with a horrid performance that also cost team vice chairman Bill Polian and his son, general manager Chris, their jobs.

Caldwell now joins a Ravens team that narrowly missed a trip to the Super Bowl after a loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.

After its season-ending loss, the Ravens watched as first-year defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano was hired to replace Caldwell as head coach in Indianapolis.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75183 ... ven=twelve (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7518305/baltimore-ravens-hire-jim-caldwell-offensive-assistant-source-says?eleven=twelve)

Snatch98
01-30-2012, 04:49 AM
I was just coming here to post the same about the Ravens. SHOCKER! *sarcasm*.....
Everyone on this board has been clamoring about Caldwell as the offensive coordinator. It's now VERY clear he wasn't interviewing for the offensive coordinator position with the Steelers seeing as he's signing with the Ravens to Coach Capt. Unibrow.

People acting crazy for no reason. I doubt anyone would be up in arms about him working the QB's.

Steelhere10
01-30-2012, 07:19 AM
I hate to brag about being correct, well no I dont.. But I tried to tell people it was about being Qb coach.

Chucktownsteeler
01-30-2012, 07:24 AM
You were correct!

Way to go!

:Boobs

Jooser
01-30-2012, 07:59 AM
YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! :Clap :tt2

Steelgal
01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
whew....didn't want him here in any capacity.

It's funny though, the Rats think he might be just the person they need to turn Joe into an elite QB, since he did so much for Manning. They were also talking about him taking for for CAmeron should he have a bad season. They're really wearing some purple-colored glasses to think he'll be that great.

steelz09
01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
whew....didn't want him here in any capacity.

It's funny though, the Rats think he might be just the person they need to turn Joe into an elite QB, since he did so much for Manning. They were also talking about him taking for for CAmeron should he have a bad season. They're really wearing some purple-colored glasses to think he'll be that great.

I know he hasn't done great w/ the Ravens but I always thought Cam Cameron was a good OC.

Anyways, I completely agree.. I didn't want Calwell here at all. I don't know how much Caldwell did for Manning. Let's be realistic, I think Manning had a lot to do w/ Mannings success :)

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Now that it's Tomlins "team" and not Cowhers.. things are really starting to show.

This is pathetic.

Which part of Tomlin's coaching staff is pathetic?

He replaced Larry Zeirlein with Sean Kuglar. Upgrade.

He replaced Bob Ligashesky with Al Everest. Upgrade.

He replaced Ray Horton with Carnell Lake. Upgrade.

When Ken Anderson retired and Randy Fichtner moved from WR coach to QB, he added Scottie Montgomery as his new WR coach, who only developed only Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown from 2nd and 3rd day draft picks into Pro Bowlers.

Whaddaya say we wait and see who he picks to replace Arians and Butler first before we determine that "this is pathetic."

Oviedo
01-30-2012, 12:08 PM

This is pathetic.

Which part of Tomlin's coaching staff is pathetic?

He replaced Larry Zeirlein with Sean Kuglar. Upgrade.

He replaced Bob Ligashesky with Al Everest. Upgrade.

He replaced Ray Horton with Carnell Lake. Upgrade.

When Ken Anderson retired and Randy Fichtner moved from WR coach to QB, he added Scottie Montgomery as his new WR coach, who only developed only Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown from 2nd and 3rd day draft picks into Pro Bowlers.

Whaddaya say we wait and see who he picks to replace Arians and Butler first before we determine that "this is pathetic."

Ruthless--there you go again making good sense. You know that doesn't fly here. I agree with you. Any bad coach on Tomlin's staff was moved out and replaced with a better coach. I kinda thought that is how it was suppose to work.

Slapstick
01-30-2012, 12:46 PM
It isn't like Cowher had the same staff for his entire fifteen year tenure...

It seemed like for every promotion (ie. Chan Gailey) there was a firing (ie. Dave Culley)...

steelz09
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't like the way Tomlin has this team headed going forward and apparently Rooney doesn't either.

If it was Tomlin's choice, Arians would still be the OC. Apparently Rooney didn't agree with Tomlin's assessment of Arians and he's out. Rooney overstepped into Tomlin's arena. That means something.

phillyesq
01-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I didn't like the idea of Caldwell as the OC, but I think he would have been fine as the QB coach.

Steelers>NFL
01-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I didn't like the idea of Caldwell as the OC, but I think he would have been fine as the QB coach.
Exactly my thoughts as well.

Steelgal
01-30-2012, 02:49 PM
I don't like the way Tomlin has this team headed going forward and apparently Rooney doesn't either.

If it was Tomlin's choice, Arians would still be the OC. Apparently Rooney didn't agree with Tomlin's assessment of Arians and he's out. Rooney overstepped into Tomlin's arena. That means something.

No one knows that for sure, unless you are privy to inside meetings at Steeler's headquarters. there was speculation that the reason Ben got a 4 game suspension with no charges filed was because Goodell volunteered to be the 'bad guy' so the team wouldn't have to suspend him themselves. I've also read that maybe the firing was said to be done by Rooney so it wouldn't affect Ben and Tomlin's status-quo. I can see arguments for both sides, in both instances. Truth is no one knows for sure.

But the fact remains that the few guys Tomlin has brought in to coach have worked out very well, as pointed out by Ruthless.

steelz09
01-30-2012, 03:20 PM

No one knows that for sure, unless you are privy to inside meetings at Steeler's headquarters. there was speculation that the reason Ben got a 4 game suspension with no charges filed was because Goodell volunteered to be the 'bad guy' so the team wouldn't have to suspend him themselves. I've also read that maybe the firing was said to be done by Rooney so it wouldn't affect Ben and Tomlin's status-quo. I can see arguments for both sides, in both instances. Truth is no one knows for sure.

But the fact remains that the few guys Tomlin has brought in to coach have worked out very well, as pointed out by Ruthless.

Let's not overcomplicate things. Rooney made the decision. This is a business. What do you think happened? Tomlin went to Rooney and said .... "Mr Rooney, I don't want to hurt the QB & HC relationship status, so can you be the big boy and fire Arians?" If you were the owner, wouldn't you think that is completely ridiculous? The HC has to make tough decisions and be accountable for those. If he can't, then he has no business being as HC. Likewise, I'm sure that Rooney didn't offer to be the "bad guy" to Tomlin. The simple fact is, Tomlin would have kept Arians but Rooney did not. The Rooneys won. It's very clear cut.

a) Rooney did not want Arians to return and expected Tomlin to fire him. This explains Rooney's comment about it being "Tomlin's call".

b) When Tomlin made the comment about expecting all coorindators/coaches returning, this surprised Rooney a bit.

c) Since Tomlin wasn't going to do it, Rooney pulled the trigger on the Arian's firing.

feltdizz
01-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Rooney won? :wft It's his team... he didn't win. He wanted to change the OC so he got rid of Arians.

I swear sometimes fans try real hard to :stirpot

This doesn't say anything about Tomlin... all it says is the owner wanted to change the OC and he made a move.

Slapstick
01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Head Coaches do make tough decisions all the time and Tomlin is no exception...

However, making tough decisions can cause a coach to "lose" the team...or, pissing your franchise QB off can make a coach lose the team...

Chan Gailey was fired by Jerry Jones after two playoff seasons simply because Troy Aikman didn't like him...when you consider that Gailey took over a 6-10 team and only coached for two years, then was replaced by Dave Campo who coached the team to three consecutive 5-11 seasons...

I'm not saying that Tomlin went to Rooney and "asked him" to be the bad guy...but, I am saying that it would be in Rooney's best interests for Tomlin and Roethlisberger to maintain a good working relationship...

steelz09
01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Rooney won? :wft It's his team... he didn't win. He wanted to change the OC so he got rid of Arians.

I swear sometimes fans try real hard to :stirpot

This doesn't say anything about Tomlin... all it says is the owner wanted to change the OC and he made a move.

"Win" probably wasn't the right term. It does say something though.... it says he doesn't agree with Tomlin's evaluation of Arians.

Tomlin wanted to keep Arians. Rooney didn't. They obviously had different evaluations and Rooney disagreed strongly enough that he wasn't going to allow Arians return.

Steelgal
01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Head Coaches do make tough decisions all the time and Tomlin is no exception...

However, making tough decisions can cause a coach to "lose" the team...or, pissing your franchise QB off can make a coach lose the team...

Chan Gailey was fired by Jerry Jones after two playoff seasons simply because Troy Aikman didn't like him...when you consider that Gailey took over a 6-10 team and only coached for two years, then was replaced by Dave Campo who coached the team to three consecutive 5-11 seasons...

I'm not saying that Tomlin went to Rooney and "asked him" to be the bad guy...but, I am saying that it would be in Rooney's best interests for Tomlin and Roethlisberger to maintain a good working relationship...

Exactly...... same thing I was trying to say but you said it better.

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Caldwell no longer candidate for Steelers' coordinator job

Monday, January 30, 2012
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers' search for an offensive coordinator will continue after one of their candidates, former Indianapolis Colts coach Jim Caldwell, appears to have dropped out of the running.

Caldwell, who was fired after the 2011 season, was at the Steelers offices on Saturday and interviewed with Coach Mike Tomlin about replacing Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator.

A source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Caldwell was not offered the position as offensive coordinator. But, according to ESPN, Caldwell has agreed to become quarterbacks coach with the Baltimore Ravens.

Arians, who was not offered a contract to return for the 2012 season, will be announced soon as the new offensive coordinator in Indianapolis -- despite the Steelers saying he retired.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/12 ... z1kzIZ74uC (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207004-100.stm#ixzz1kzIZ74uC)