PDA

View Full Version : Butler Colts DC

steelz09
01-29-2012, 02:07 PM
He's interviewing.

If we sacrifice Butler for 1 more year w/ Lebeau, it could turn out to be a HUGE mistake by the Steelers front office.

steelz09
01-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Wow .. sounds like its more than an interview. It's sounds like it's a done deal.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Keith Butler is expected to become Colts defensive coordinator

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 29, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/d-lebeau-k-butler.jpg?w=141

New Colts coach Chuck Pagano is raiding his former AFC North rivals in order to build his new staff.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler will become Pagano’s defensive coordinator in Indianapolis. Butler will fly to Indianapolis on Tuesday to review and sign the contract. The team is also expected to hire Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator after the Steelers made him “retire.”

The Steelers prevented Butler from taking a coordinator job with the Cardinals in the past, but his contract was up this year. They reportedly didn’t want to lose him, but he wanted to become a coordinator. Pagano, Arians, and Butler all worked under Butch Davis on Cleveland’s staff in 2001.

Even though Pagano talked about building around the players he has, hiring Butler is a sign this will be a 3-4 defense sooner than later.

Pittsburgh has lost a lot of coaching talent lately. Ray Horton left for Arizona last year. Butler is now in Indianapolis and the Steelers have a vacancy at offensive coordinator.

UPDATE 12:12 p.m. ET: Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says via Butler this isn’t a done deal just yet. But it sounds like a “formality” before he takes the job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ordinator/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/29/keith-butler-expected-to-become-colts-defensive-coordinator/)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Funny, I don't think of the Colts D personnel as being 3-4 but I have been wrong before.

steelz09
01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Funny, I don't think of the Colts D personnel as being 3-4 but I have been wrong before.

We could move to a 4-3 easier than the Colts could move to a 3-4. I really think the Steelers FO thought they were hooked up with Butler getting "groomed" under Lebeau. Lebeau only has a year (or 2) left and now our future 3-4 brain trust is gone.

Maybe the Steeler should've moved on from the Lebeau era in favor of promoting Butler. You have to think of the future.

Oviedo
01-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Why worry about the future. We get one more legendary year doing the exact same thing we have done for the last six. What else could we realistically want.

Perhaps Butler has the mental flexibility and the open mind to successfully coordinate a 4-3 versus refusing to open his mind to other options.

Discipline of Steel
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Carnell Lake

Snatch98
01-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Carnell Lake

This.

I also think the hate for Lebeau right now is absolutely incredible. I agree that as a defense we should have done a lot more. Tebow should have never accomplished what he accomplished but he did and we lost. Let's not forget all the absolutely fantastics seasons we've had defensively under Lebeau not to mention the undeniable respect the entire teams has for him. I heard Ryan Clark in a interview on 93.7 the fan last week and Clark said that he told Lebeau to just wait to retire until he retires. The defense loves Lebeau and for good reason. He's a fantastic coach. As far as Bulter is concerned we may never know what he's capable of as a d coordinator in Pittsburgh but I doubt they'd just let him walk if he really is the guy they want to replace Lebeau. If he leaves the Steelers aren't worried about it. If he stays it's going to be because something was put in writing.

Slapstick
01-29-2012, 04:36 PM
You can argue the merits of Dick LeBeau all you want, but you can't argue results. LeBeau produces good results on defense. You may think he's too old or whatever. Bottom line, his defenses are historically good. The #1 ranking was not a mirage, it was a result of playing sound, disciplined defense despite the players not generating turnovers.

There is no doubt that Butler is a good coach. The Steelers have lost good coaches before.

But, only on this board would an NFL fan choose Keith Butler over Dick LeBeau as a Defensive Coordinator...

SteelBucks
01-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Carnell Lake

This.

I also think the hate for Lebeau right now is absolutely incredible. I agree that as a defense we should have done a lot more. Tebow should have never accomplished what he accomplished but he did and we lost. Let's not forget all the absolutely fantastics seasons we've had defensively under Lebeau not to mention the undeniable respect the entire teams has for him. I heard Ryan Clark in a interview on 93.7 the fan last week and Clark said that he told Lebeau to just wait to retire until he retires. The defense loves Lebeau and for good reason. He's a fantastic coach. As far as Bulter is concerned we may never know what he's capable of as a d coordinator in Pittsburgh but I doubt they'd just let him walk if he really is the guy they want to replace Lebeau. If he leaves the Steelers aren't worried about it. If he stays it's going to be because something was put in writing.

:Agree

Chucktownsteeler
01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Can't blame Mr. Butler. He is seeing the scenario involving Randy Fitchner and Jim Caldwell unfold right before his eyes. Plus he is 53 years old, not exactly a spring chicken. He may not get many more opportunities.

C-town

:Boobs

Snatch98
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
You can argue the merits of bad word LeBeau all you want, but you can't argue results. LeBeau produces good results on defense. You may think he's too old or whatever. Bottom line, his defenses are historically good. The #1 ranking was not a mirage, it was a result of playing sound, disciplined defense despite the players not generating turnovers.

There is no doubt that Butler is a good coach. The Steelers have lost good coaches before.

But, only on this board would an NFL fan choose Keith Butler over bad word LeBeau as a Defensive Coordinator...

I agree 100%

DukieBoy
01-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Paves the way for Carnell Lake to replace Lebeau when the time comes.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Why worry about the future. We get one more legendary year doing the exact same thing we have done for the last six. What else could we realistically want.

Perhaps Butler has the mental flexibility and the open mind to successfully coordinate a 4-3 versus refusing to open his mind to other options.

good grief.

pittpete
01-29-2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.brady-quinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/ohnowesuckagain.jpg

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2012, 06:55 PM

good grief.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/moonlightcowboy/CharlieBrown-GoodGrief-1.jpg

phillyesq
01-29-2012, 08:30 PM
The Steelers know how to find good coaches. They'll be fine.

Marvin Lewis was a linebackers coach with the Steelers who then got a DC job with the Ravens before landing his current coaching gig with the Bengals. The Steelers were able to replace him just fine.

I hope Butler has a nice run with the Colts, and I hope and expect that the next DC in waiting, be it Lake, Olsavsky or somebody else, will step up when they are needed.

SteelBucks
01-29-2012, 10:21 PM

I'll never understand your dislike for LeBeau or your fascination with the 4-3.

Lebeau >>> Butler

RuthlessBurgher
01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.brady-quinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/ohnowesuckagain.jpg

:lol:

Just make sure that you add a "You can do it!" Schneider/Waterboy pic when we formally hire Olsavsky as LB coach to replace Butler.