PDA

View Full Version : Mild conspiracy theory

anger 82&95
01-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Is it possible that Art Rooney’s recent clarion call for a return to a running-based offensive scheme is also a subtle protest to Goodell’s newfangled passing league?

SidSmythe
01-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Is it possible that Art Rooney’s recent clarion call for a return to a running-based offensive scheme is also a subtle protest to Goodell’s newfangled passing league?

Total Conspiracy Theory.

This is a copycat league sadly to say...very little originality allowed.

Everyone is going to gear their DEFENSES to stop the pass. CB's and Pass Rushers will be flying off the boards in the next few drafts.

Remember when no one figure out 3-4 defenses???
Then a lot more teams added the 3-4 and offenses started doing better against them??

So w/ all these defenses worried about the pass and here comes a dominant Running game??? the Texans and Broncos both made it as far as they did with young b/c they could RUN.

Plus when you have a franchise QB heading into his 30's...the best way to protect him is RUN THE BALL!!

Oviedo
01-29-2012, 03:03 PM

You mean a run based offense like the Denver Broncos had? If that is Rooney's clarion call then he is marching the team off a cliff because we won't be able to compete with teams that actually employ a high powered offense because we know our defense can't stop them.

focosteeler
01-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Total Conspiracy Theory.

Everyone is going to gear their DEFENSES to stop the pass. CB's and Pass Rushers will be flying off the boards in the next few drafts.

Then a lot more teams added the 3-4 and offenses started doing better against them??

So w/ all these defenses worried about the pass and here comes a dominant Running game??? the Texans and Broncos both made it as far as they did with young b/c they could RUN.

Plus when you have a franchise QB heading into his 30's...the best way to protect him is RUN THE BALL!!
:Bow

Snatch98
01-29-2012, 04:31 PM

Total Conspiracy Theory.

Boom GOES the DYNAMITE! and who knows IF Butler does in fact leave it could mean we're switching to the 4-3. Butler is a 3-4 Coach, Lebeau only has this season and maybe another. If we win the Super Bowl I'd bet he's done after this season (We do have the roster to win one if we right the offense) Lebeau retires and the team makes the switch. Who knows.

steelblood
01-29-2012, 05:24 PM

You mean a run based offense like the Denver Broncos had? If that is Rooney's clarion call then he is marching the team off a cliff because we won't be able to compete with teams that actually employ a high powered offense because we know our defense can't stop them.

Dude, I remember a few years ago when you wouldn't stand for criticizing the coordinators and Tomlin. Now, you are one of the most negative posters around. Were you struck by lightning?

Oviedo
01-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Dude, I remember a few years ago when you wouldn't stand for criticizing the coordinators and Tomlin. Now, you are one of the most negative posters around. Were you struck by lightning?

No. Just trying to actually open up some legit discussion versus never discussing one side of the football and always ripping the other. Look at the posts we have had in the past 24 hours. Many have gone absolutely insane about a potential OC who hasn't even been hired but barely a word about losing the planned successor on defense so the current guy can hang on another year.

Everyone thinks I really hate LeBeau but the truth is far different. I just don't think he is the future and he stopped innovating years ago. He is benefiting from the resources that have been disproportionately poured into defensive players while the OL that has to protect our franchise QB and most important player on the team has been bought at Wal-mart. As a result we rip the past OC and will likely do the same to the next one. However no one should be above scrutiny or be allowed to rest on their laurels. That's why we have this medium.

If that labels me as a hater then so be it. It is an easy monicker for some to throw out. The truth is always somewhere in between and besides what do my opinions matter anyway. No one in the organization cares. I just like the discussion we get here. :D

Eddie Spaghetti
01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
everytime ovi goes on a lebeau rant, I read his sig and laugh my ass off.

you could cut the irony with a spoon.

Shoe
01-29-2012, 09:38 PM
I do agree with the notion that when everyone is zigging, you should be zagging. Still... I don't buy the run the ball to win philosophy. I base that off watching 15 years in the Cowher era, where we had lots of good seasons end bitterly. And that's not to say it can't work! Just saying I haven't seen it work.

SidSmythe
01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
I do agree with the notion that when everyone is zigging, you should be zagging. Still... I don't buy the run the ball to win philosophy. I base that off watching 15 years in the Cowher era, where we had lots of good seasons end bitterly. And that's not to say it can't work! Just saying I haven't seen it work.

Big Difference between the Cowher era and today. He didn't have a Franchise QB to run the Offense and when he did he won the Superbowl

papillon
01-30-2012, 12:50 AM

Yea, the high flyers did so well in the playoffs this year, while the teams that actually had some balance and could pound the rock when they needed to did really poorly.

Pappy

Shoe
01-30-2012, 01:55 AM

Big Difference between the Cowher era and today. He didn't have a Franchise QB to run the Offense and when he did he won the Superbowl

You're right. Again, I don't know that it can't work. I'm just going by my feeling... I watched it fail so many times (sans franchise QB, as you note) that I'm gunshy. that's all.

Shawn
01-30-2012, 09:22 AM
I have to agree with Sid. I have always been a guy who wants to see a well rounded team. And if teams are gearing up to pass and stop the pass, running teams are going to find themselves being more successful.

Couple that with Ben, and the play action pass and you have an offensive that can not only keep the D fresh, control the clock, but your passing game becomes much more efficient. You don't have to throw the ball 50 times a game. You just need to be more effective when you do throw the ball.

Captain Lemming
01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Cowher ball Featured Ben's most successful regular season as a rookie followed by his best playoff run the next year.

Cowher let Ben throw for 4000 yards year three and no playoffs.
We have not won a single playoff game during seasons when Ben throws for 3500 or more.

During both championship seasons we beat prolific passers in the playoffs to do it.