PDA

View Full Version : Ta'amu is really looking like a BEAST

Captain Lemming
01-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I have been strongly for a guard in the 1st but I have to say Ta'amu is really impressing me in the senior bowl.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-28-2012, 07:03 PM
would he be there in the 2nd?

the projections seem to be all over the place with this guy.

NJ-STEELER
01-28-2012, 07:27 PM
would he be there in the 2nd?

the projections seem to be all over the place .

most are before the combine

DukieBoy
01-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Must get stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. A little bigger need on offense.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Who has he been lining up against?

Any of the inside OL who we have been discussing?

Shoe
01-29-2012, 01:09 AM
The only way I'd really want to consider him at this point, is if he was a real difference-maker. We've spent two firsts on DL in the past few years, and TBH--neither appears to be a difference-maker. At best, both can be solid role-players. Now... the reason these two (Heyward & Hood) were drafted is partly because they also (with that "low ceiling") had a relatively low bust potential, but still... we need real impact players on our D. The fact that we had so few takeaways (despite having the "#1 defense") tells you all you need to know about our defensive needs.

isonator07
01-29-2012, 08:30 AM
The only way I'd really want to consider him at this point, is if he was a real difference-maker. We've spent two firsts on DL in the past few years, and TBH--neither appears to be a difference-maker. At best, both can be solid role-players. Now... the reason these two (Heyward & Hood) were drafted is partly because they also (with that "low ceiling") had a relatively low bust potential, but still... we need real impact players on our D. The fact that we had so few takeaways (despite having the "#1 defense") tells you all you need to know about our defensive needs.

I don't agree with you on Heyward shoe. I think Heyward has a very high ceiling. Lets see what Heyward does with more playing time.

I agree with you on Ta'amu. To be fair though, I hated when we took Gilbert in the 2nd last year. It sounded like a reach at the time, and now seems like a real solid pick.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-29-2012, 10:44 AM

I don't agree with you on Heyward shoe. I think Heyward has a very high ceiling. Lets see what Heyward does with more playing time.

I agree with you on Ta'amu. To be fair though, I hated when we took Gilbert in the 2nd last year. It sounded like a reach at the time, and now seems like a real solid pick.

I agree. Remember, he had no TC or PS due to the lockout and not a lot of practice time with the starters as the one he backs up (Keisel) was mostly healthy.

I like the glimpses of what we saw from Heyward and think that he will take a nice step forward in '12.

Dee Dub
01-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Ta'amu would be a perfect fit for a 3-4 NT. However I like him better as an early to mid second round pick. He wont be there at pick #56 so we would have to move up. I would much rather use pick #24 on a higher rated player. Another perfect fit to me is NT Brandon Thompson of Clemson. He to is an early second to mid second pick.

DukieBoy
01-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Ta'amu can't keep our $107M or whatever franchise QB from getting battered onto the IR. That's the problem.

Time to build an OL for the ages so Ben can play more than a few years more, AND so we improve the run game.

Dresden
01-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Ta'amu would be a perfect fit for a 3-4 NT. However I like him better as an early to mid second round pick. He wont be there at pick #56 so we would have to move up. I would much rather use pick #24 on a higher rated player. Another perfect fit to me is NT Brandon Thompson of Clemson. He to is an early second to mid second pick.

So with that said,.. where else would you go with the 24th pick Dub ? It's (said pick) pretty much the very best of the second rnd grade type kids. How do you pass on Ta' amu there if in all reality he actually grades out as a solid top 15-20 selection and was actually still on the board at 24 ?

IMO there is almost no way he would still be on the board when our second rnd pick comes up even at worst case scenario if this was/is the case ?

Don't get me wrong i feel where your coming from,....but you know how it is,...there is no such thing as best kept secrets,....some team will pull the trigger on this kid before our second round selection.

hawaiiansteel
01-29-2012, 11:33 PM
How do you pass on Ta' amu there if in all reality he actually grades out as a solid top 15-20 selection and was actually still on the board at 24 ?

IMO there is almost no way he would still be on the board when our second rnd pick comes up even at worst case scenario if this was/is the case ?

some team will pull the trigger on this kid before our second round selection.

hey, nobody ever realistically thought Limas Sweed would ever still be on the board when the Steelers selected him in the second round in the 2008 NFL Draft and look how that turned out.

oh wait... :shock:

Dresden
01-30-2012, 01:33 AM
How do you pass on Ta' amu there if in all reality he actually grades out as a solid top 15-20 selection and was actually still on the board at 24 ?

some team will pull the trigger on this kid before our second round selection.

hey, nobody ever realistically thought Limas Sweed would ever still be on the board when the Steelers selected him in the second round in the 2008 NFL Draft and look how that turned out.

oh wait... :shock:

Uh, correction sir,...even though Sweed had the physical measurables in terms of height and weight coming out,...it was also well to known to most scouts that he was lacking in terms of heart, focus, ball skills, awareness and hand eye coordination.

Henceforth him being there in the second was no surprise.

Ta'amu is a NT with a good motor for his position,..which means just because he does not play with a WR or Db's metabolism it does not mean that he will drop to the bottom of the 2nd round.

Mark my words if we do not select him in the first,...some organization will long before our next pick rolls around. (Perhaps even before we select at 24 overall.)

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Ta'amu is a NT with a good motor for his position,..which means just because he does not play with a WR or Db's metabolism it does not mean that he will drop to the bottom of the 2nd round.

Mark my words if we do not select him in the first,...some organization will long before our next pick rolls around. (Perhaps even before we select at 24 overall.)

WalterFootball's current 4-round mock draft has the Steelers selecting him in the 2nd round at #56:

http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/steelersb_logo.gif 56. Pittsburgh Steelers: Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

Alameda Ta'amu is a hell of a bargain toward the end of Round 2. He can take over for Casey Hampton when his time is up - which might be sooner rather than later because of Hampton's torn ACL.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012_2.php

Oviedo
01-30-2012, 12:20 PM

WalterFootball's current 4-round mock draft has the Steelers selecting him in the 2nd round at #56:

http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/steelersb_logo.gif 56. Pittsburgh Steelers: Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington

Alameda Ta'amu is a hell of a bargain toward the end of Round 2. He can take over for Casey Hampton when his time is up - which might be sooner rather than later because of Hampton's torn ACL.

I really hope they are wrong because they don't have us taking OL under Round 4. If we don't fix the OL in this draft we are going to be third in the AFC North for several years.

phillyesq
01-30-2012, 12:46 PM

If the draft falls that way and the Steelers don't take Glenn, I'll probably end up needing to buy a new tv.

Dee Dub
01-30-2012, 01:39 PM

So with that said,.. where else would you go with the 24th pick Dub ? It's (said pick) pretty much the very best of the second rnd grade type kids. How do you pass on Ta' amu there if in all reality he actually grades out as a solid top 15-20 selection and was actually still on the board at 24 ?

Don't get me wrong i feel where your coming from,....but you know how it is,...there is no such thing as best kept secrets,....some team will pull the trigger on this kid before our second round selection.

This is a tough one for me. So far those who project around 24 haven't really separated themselves as clear cut....that's the one. Maybe the combine plays a part in that? I am right now thinking a trade back maybe better for the Steelers. Possibly walking away with both Hightower and Ta'amu?

As far as Ta'amu, early in the college season I was all over him. I even had a threaded asking is this the next Steeler NT/replacing Hampton? SKL has battled me on him all year. He thinks he is a still and would touch him till round 5. I dont agree. However I will admit Ta'amu didnt have the dominating year I expected. And as a result I see him now as better value in the early to mid second round. One thing about him is even when he doenst make plays he still almost always requires the double team.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-30-2012, 01:46 PM
dub-
if we walk away with hightower and ta'amu, I will do backflips.

steelerkeylargo
01-30-2012, 03:07 PM
It really means nothing to me that Taamu looked good in the game. He is going up against guys that have never played together as an OL. They are just worried about getting the snap count right. Those games always favor the DL. Taamu is too easily taken out of gameplans in REAL action. Let him be someone elses disappointment.

NW Steeler
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
UW had one of the worst defenses in the country this past year, and were HORRIBLE against the run. Not that it all falls on Ta'amu, but he was a "cog" in their d-line that got shredded every week. I did not watch him play much this year, so I dont have an opinion on him. I was just pointing out how bad the Huskies D was. Of course, I hate the Huskies, so I might be a tad jaded. If he is indeed a talent at NT and teh Steelers draft him, I will quickly forget that he wore the purple and gold. Until the first time he f's up. Mark Bruner was a Husky too, and he was a great Steeler.

Oviedo
01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
dub-

That would be a great haul for the all ready star laden defense, but I would immediately begin to fear for Rothlisberger's life and therefore our ability to make the play offs.

This team to to serious fix the OL.

NW Steeler
01-30-2012, 05:30 PM
If they were somehow able to sign a quality starting tackle (Grubbs) in FA (as was mentioned in another post), they would really open up possibilities in the draft. A pipe dream, but still.

Dee Dub
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
dub-

That would be a great haul for the all ready star laden defense, but I would immediately begin to fear for Rothlisberger's life and therefore our ability to make the play offs.

Ovi if there isnt a viable, worthy O-lineman there at 24 what do yo suggest? Trade up? No. This team needs all of it's draft picks. They rely heavily on them.

Chadman
01-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Chadman prefer Poe in the 1st to Ta'amu in the 2nd. Poe is incredibly strong & has those big long arms to keep OL blockers off him.

Plus- he's a junior, which seems to sit well with the Steelers FO.

Chadman sees Ovi playing the Chicken Little role about the OL- fact is, it's unlikely a rookie will step in & start anyway- not sure a high draft pick is a solution to the OL worries for next season. Besides, Legs & Foster are young players. Adding yet another young player to the mix is probably a good idea, but for an immediate upgrade- it's going to have to be FA.

Once the dust settles on the possible roster cut/slaughter of 2012, the Steelers will have some room under the cap to sign a FA or 2. They always do.

grotonsteel
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
dub-

:Agree

Dee Dub
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Chadman prefer Poe in the 1st to Ta'amu in the 2nd. Poe is incredibly strong & has those big long arms to keep OL blockers off him.

Chadman sees Ovi playing the Chicken Little role about the OL- fact is, it's unlikely a rookie will step in & start anyway- not sure a high draft pick is a solution to the OL worries for next season. Besides, Legs & Foster are young players. Adding yet another young player to the mix is probably a good idea, but for an immediate upgrade- it's going to have to be FA.

Once the dust settles on the possible roster cut/slaughter of 2012, the Steelers will have some room under the cap to sign a FA or 2. They always do.

Chad if you want my opinion I dont think Poe is a best fit for a 3-4 NT. I think he is too big and those long arms you talk about can actually be a problem for a position that needs to get leverage. I have watched him a few times and he tends to get a little too upright.

grotonsteel
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
UW had one of the worst defenses in the country this past year, and were HORRIBLE against the run. Not that it all falls on Ta'amu, but he was a "cog" in their d-line that got shredded every week. I did not watch him play much this year, so I dont have an opinion on him. I was just pointing out how bad the Huskies D was. Of course, I hate the Huskies, so I might be a tad jaded. If he is indeed a talent at NT and teh Steelers draft him, I will quickly forget that he wore the purple and gold. Until the first time he f's up. Mark Bruner was a Husky too, and he was a great Steeler.

I have not seen Ta' amu play much but the only game i saw him play was against Stanford and he looked very ordinary. Now Stanford has a very good O-line but from what i saw of him he was getting handled by a single blocker.

grotonsteel
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Chad if you want my opinion I dont think Poe is a best fit for a 3-4 NT. I think he is too big and those long arms you talk about can actually be a problem for a position that needs to get leverage. I have watched him a few times and he tends to get a little too upright.

+1

I think Poe is too tall to play NT in Steelers 3-4.

I think Poe is more suited to play 4-3 DT. Team like Vikings could be a good fit.

Chadman
01-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Of course Chadman wants your opinion!

Chadman kinda disagrees with you about the arm length- Ted Washington made a good long career out of being a NT with big long arms that he used very effectively. In fact, Chadman compares Poe to Washington the most. Chadman WILL agree about getting too upright, but that is coachable. A year or 2 behind Hampton could fix that.

Chadman
01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
That said- Poe doesn't really fit the Steelers draft criteria- Memphis is not exactly the 'big program' that Colbert & Tomlin seem to like their 1st round picks to come from.

Dresden
01-31-2012, 12:10 AM
One thing about him is even when he doenst make plays he still almost always requires the double team.

And therein lies the bottom line for me Dub. He NATUARLLY has the physical measurables and strength to require double teams consistently even when he's not at the top of his game so to speak. (and that's without him being morbidly obese with little work ethic)

To me that's the very foundation of what one must have in a 3-4 NT.

Again i feel as though with professional coaching,...and the responsibility of being a professional in regards to his teammates, Family, friends and himself,....this kid could very possibly be as effective for us as Hamp once was IMO.

steelblood
01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
I have watched a few of Ta'amu's games this season. He dominated against Washington State commanding double teams and pressuring the QB with great quickness for his size. But, against Stanford he was a non-factor and they shredded the Huskies all day.

Here is my analysis....

Ta'amu is quick for his size and runs well. He has a very good Nose Tackle build and great natural strength. He also is a relatively well-conditioned athlete who did not play in a rotation and does not wear down as quickly as most men his size.

Ta'amu is a little stiff and sometimes has trouble moving laterally. Ta'amu played on an awful defensive unit and was not able to be a factor against top competition. His technique is sloppy. If he doesn't win with quickness or a bullrush off the snap, he is neutralized. In other words, he doesn't counter very well.

I'd say he is a top 50 talent. It is really hard to put him in the top 25 in this draft. I do think he is a better 3-4 NT prospect than Poe. Poe may be too tall to be an effective NT. Howver, Poe probably has a higher ceiling and more position flexibility.

NW Steeler
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Unfortunately almost everyone dominated against Washington State's oline this past year. They gave up over 50 sacks and lost both of their starting qb's to injury during the season. They were also near the bottom of the conference in rushing. I would use the Stanford game as more of a litmus test for Ta'amu. Yes, I am a WSU alum.

RuthlessBurgher
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
Why was Ta'Amu a non-factor in the Stanford game?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/619/568/91183247_display_image.jpg?1322838132

NW Steeler
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Good point Ruthless - but that is the type of talent he will be facing in the NFL.

steelblood
01-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Ta'amu's performance against Washington State was impressive because he was dominant even with two and three guys trying to block him. He also played nearly the entire game and looked even stronger at the end.

Against Stanford, double teams were enough to move him and sometimes single blockers won or at least stale mated him.

As I said though, Ta'amu needs technique work. Stanford linemen are very technically sound. I wouldn't say the Stanford game means that he won't be able to be successful against that level of talent. I think that is where some folks are going wrong here. Ta'amu needs to work at his craft and perhaps receive better coaching. He does possess enough physical talent and strength to be a good (though probably not great) 3-4 NT.

Dee Dub
01-31-2012, 04:11 PM
steelblood great analyses on Ta'amu. I agree with you. He would be great value for the Steelers but only as a second round pick.

Dee Dub
01-31-2012, 04:13 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/619/568/91183247_display_image.jpg?1322838132

Ruthless, I am glad you included a teammate in that picture of DeCastro. No way was he able to neutralize Ta'amu without one. :wink:

And to be fair Stanford ran a lot of two and three TE sets this year. With their O-line and three TE's it isnt a surprise that they were able to control Washington's defensive front.

feltdizz
01-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Ruthless, I am glad you included a teammate in that picture of DeCastro. No way was he able to neutralize Ta'amu without one. :wink:

And to be fair Stanford ran a lot of two and three TE sets this year. With their O-line and three TE's it isnt a surprise that they were able to control Washington's defensive front.

I wonder if this had anything to do with Luck's low sack numbers? :stirpot

Chadman
01-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Didn't realise that Stanford players were so...umm....close...

Dee Dub
01-31-2012, 07:46 PM

I wonder if this had anything to do with Luck's low sack numbers? :stirpot

Maybe a little but he did throw the ball 404 times and there is no question that he has a very quick release and is very good a his progressions. He gets some of that credit as well.

Slapstick
01-31-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I think that Ziggy might be better playing over the center as opposed to the 5 Tech DE...

I can see Ziggy as a stronger, more athletic Chris Hoke or Jason Ferguson...

Chadman
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I think that Ziggy might be better playing over the center as opposed to the 5 Tech DE...

For Chadman- THIS is the big variable. If the Steelers view Hood as the future NT, draft boards will change for everyone. Would another 3-4 DE then be required? Probably- but doubtful it would be a 1st round type need.

Dresden
02-01-2012, 12:41 AM

Nothing personal dude,..but i honestly do not comprehend this line of thinking.

If Hood already has questionable lower body strength for his size, problems with leverage and pad level, AND is 6 ft 3 and often struggles with single blockers as a 3-4 End,......how does that make him qualified in any way to play at the 'spearhead' position of NT ?

Prowler
02-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Ta'amu sucks period. A NT who gives up 69 points and 482 yards rushing in a bowl game is a guy who should be avoided at all costs. I am not impressed by a guy who was consistently pushed backwards in the biggest game of the year against Baylor. To me the guy looked like a wounded out of shape dime a dozen backup NT and nothing more.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-01-2012, 01:08 AM
he gave up 69 points by himself?

Dresden
02-01-2012, 01:31 AM
he gave up 69 points by himself?

Not to attempt to make an azz out of anyone else or umption. But there may be a bit of sarcasm in that post ? Perhaps in an attempt to "spoof" my particular brand of disdain for some Tomlin Regime personnel decisions and or it's players ? :lol:

Slapstick
02-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Nothing personal dude,..but i honestly do not comprehend this line of thinking.

If Hood already has questionable lower body strength for his size, problems with leverage and pad level, AND is 6 ft 3 and often struggles with single blockers as a 3-4 End,......how does that make him qualified in any way to play at the 'spearhead' position of NT ?

But, Hood doesn't have questionable lower body strength...the only time I ever read that was in this post...

Now, pad level was a problem coming out of college, but that is something that coaching should solve...

During his successful college career at Mizzou, he played inside at DT...he was good there and I have seen no reason to believe that he has somehow been a failure at 5 Tech nor that he could not be a successful NT in the same mold as a Chris Hoke or a Jason Ferguson...

In fact, I think he would be better if he were closer to the QB...

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
But, Hood doesn't have questionable lower body strength...the only time I ever read that was in this post...

Yup...found this quote from the Big Snack:

Ziggys a big, strong guy. Hes a different type animal, Hampton said. He might be the strongest player on the team. Ziggy can pretty much play on the line where he wants to. Ive got that old-man strength. Hes got that still-in-the-weight room strength.