PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians likely to become next OC for the Colts

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2012, 03:13 PM
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/img/logo_triblive.gif

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Hearing former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is likely to become the next coordinator of the Colts.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1kmIxzCoc (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1kmIxzCoc)

Steelgal
01-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Read that as well. So I'm wondering was Pagano just so impressed with our offense against the Rats this past season that he wants him to run their offense??? Strange...

Slapstick
01-28-2012, 04:33 PM
So, that frees up Christiansen?

pittpete
01-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Poor Andrew Luck :cry:

NJ-STEELER
01-28-2012, 05:38 PM
done deal

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Poor Andrew Luck :cry:

This year's slogan: Suck for Luck.

Next year's slogan: Luck to Suck.

:lol:

flippy
who said he retired?

SteelBucks
done deal

Yep. Arians will sign a contract on Monday.

Dee Dub
01-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I think Bruce Arians will be good for Andrew Luck and vice versus. Remember, it's usually only frustrated, spoiled, Steelers fans who think Arians is a bad offensive coordiantor.

He's won a super bowl and taken an offense to another super bowl. Not a lot of offensive coordiantors in the NFL can say that.

Slapstick
01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
While it may not make sense to some fans, Pagano was the DB coach for the Browns while Arians was the OC. Pagano knows what he is getting into. To top it all off, Arians was Manning's QB coach for three years, so there is familiarity there as well.

The second time the Ravens beat the Steelers, it wasn't because the offense failed...

Heck, I wouldn't put it all on the offense the first time...

Dee Dub
01-28-2012, 06:19 PM
While it may not make sense to some fans, Pagano was the DB coach for the Browns while Arians was the OC. Pagano knows what he is getting into. To top it all off, Arians was Manning's QB coach for three years, so there is familiarity there as well.

The second time the Ravens beat the Steelers, it wasn't because the offense failed...

Heck, I wouldn't put it all on the offense the first time...

:Clap

Great insight Slap!

rockonsteel
01-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I think Bruce Arians will be good for Andrew Luck and vice versus. Remember, it's usually only frustrated, spoiled, Steelers fans who think Arians is a bad offensive coordiantor.

He's won a super bowl and taken an offense to another super bowl. Not a lot of offensive coordiantors in the NFL can say that.

Well, then the Colts should be ecstatic. If Arians truly was the catalyst behind the Steelers getting to two and winning one Super Bowl, then he will surely use his brilliance to coach Luck and the Colts to at least two SBs and a win.

It's also going to be interesting to see if the Steelers ever win another game without him.

Should be fun to see. In the words of Bart Scott....CAN'T WAIT!!

Rockon

Slapstick
01-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Ummm...you are aware that he is no longer the Steelers' OC, right? Yoyu can let it go...it has to be unhealthy...

feltdizz
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
The hate is strong in the BA haters...

Ghost
01-28-2012, 07:48 PM

I must have missed the part where it was fans on message boards who FIRED him. I'm guessing (not really) there are at least 2 Rooney's who thought he was a bad O coordinator...

DukieBoy
01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
As long as Peyton is there he is the real OC and Arians will let him do what he wants to do.

Otherwise. Luck best practice his 7-step drops and take out primo insurance policies on his body.

feltdizz
01-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Arians wasn't fired because he is a bad OC. I think he was fired because the FO wanted a new set of eyes on the offense.

It will be interesting how Luck does under Arians. I'm pretty sure anything positive will be in spite of Arians.

It's a little funny how quickly Arians was snatched up.

hawaiiansteel
01-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Report: Bruce Arians to join Colts

Posted by Josh Alper on January 28, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/610x63.jpg?w=250

While an assistant with the Ravens for the last four years, Chuck Pagano tried to stop Steelers offenses run by Bruce Arians at least twice a year.

Based on a report from Adam Schefter of ESPN, he must have liked what he saw. Schefter reports that Arians is headed to Indianapolis to become offensive coordinator of the Colts. It would seem reports of Arians’ retirement after his split from the Steelers were greatly exaggerated.

Schefter’s report doesn’t address the status of current offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen. Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 radio in Arizona, who also had a report on Arians heading to Indy, reports that he’ll be offered another job on Arians’ staff. That’s significant because Christensen represents the last significant tie to Peyton Manning on the Colts coaching staff.

But Arians has a tie to Manning of his own. He was the Manning’s quarterback coach from 1998-2000, so those shaking the Magic 8-Ball to find out what this means for Manning’s future with the Colts probably are getting “Ask Again Later” when the triangle appears in the window.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... oin-colts/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/28/report-bruce-arians-to-join-colts/)

Keyplay1
01-29-2012, 12:59 PM
There is sort of a precedence here:

Ron Erhardt was the OC l992 - 1995. He resigned presumably to retire. He however signed on as OC for the Jets in 1996. They were a bad team and went 1-15. The following year they went 9-7 with a new coach. He retired in 1998.

Since I sort of called the shot on this move a couple weeks ago.---- [The following is a fragment of a post in Big Robs thread about how it is going to be harder now to get Tom Clements.]

"3. Couple months ago I simply posted that BA had been the OC longer than any other OC since the 90's at least for sure." "The Steelers will probably make a change"-----[no specifics were given]

If this occurs it sounds like a Win Win Win situation to me. Good for Ben, Good for Arians and Good for the Steelers.

BTW: If I was conducting the interview it would be quick and easy. One question: "What time is it?" If he answers correctly he's hired. Okay, so several candidates get it right. Then either a coin toss gets it done or the names are placed in a hat and the winner is?????

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 2, 2012

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2012-02-01/0202AriansCAP-b.jpg

His time with the Steelers didn't end how he had hoped, but Bruce Arians said he hasn't "been this excited in years," after his hiring as Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator.

"I walked into the building (Monday) and never been greeted any better in my 37 years of coaching," Arians said Wednesday during an introductory conference call with reporters. "It's a new beginning. I am really excited about putting that horseshoe back on. I am looking forward to it."

Arians, 59, was the Colts' quarterbacks coach from 1998-2000, and the organization brought him back on Tuesday to run the offense. The move came 10 days after Arians parted ways with the Steelers in what the organization labeled as a retirement.

Arians later admitted it wasn't a retirement and that he wasn't offered a contract by team president Art Rooney II. Rooney responded by saying Arians' constant struggle with retirement prompted the organization to go in a different direction.

Arians, however, said yesterday he hasn't worried about retirement in years.

Even though his departure ended on bad terms, Arians said he cherishes his time with the Steelers.

"I was enjoying what I was doing," he said.

As offensive coordinator, Arians helped the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship in 2008. His offense ranked as high as seventh and as low as 22nd in his five years as coordinator.

Arians said he would miss the people he worked with but tiptoed around questions about Steelers' ownership.

"It was a great ride, great people. I love these guys," Arians said. "I have had a great relationship with these players."

Under Arians' guidance, the Steelers had three 12-4 seasons and advanced to the playoffs four times as he helped groom Ben Roethlisberger into one of the NFL's top quarterbacks.

"Ben is a superstar, and I would like to say that I helped him, but the good Lord gave him a ton of talent," Arians said. "We have a great relationship and that is going to last forever."

Arians takes over an Indianapolis offense full of uncertainty because of quarterback Peyton Manning's health problems. Although Arians said he would love to have Manning back, he promised the Colts offense will be balanced no matter who is quarterback.

"You cannot be one dimensional," Arians said. "I would like to go back and look at the statistics when I called plays in Cleveland and Pittsburgh for eight years. I am betting it is pretty close to 50-50."

In eight years as an NFL offensive coordinator, Arians called pass plays 55 percent of the time. In his five years with the Steelers, he threw 51.8 percent of the time. In 2011, that number grew to 57.2 percent.

"We were second in the league in time of possession this year, but we threw more than we ran," Arians said. "We won a lot of games by running out the clock by throwing the football."

Still, Arians was a magnet for criticism, even from management. Rooney said publicly two years ago that he believed the team needed to run the ball more. A few days before not renewing Arians' contract, Rooney said the offense and Roethlisberger's game needed to be tweaked.

Arians accepts the blame that comes with the title.

"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands — 63,000 are calling plays better than you are," Arians said. "Everybody who plays 'Madden' and fantasy football calls plays."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1lCbHFsgt (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_779545.html#ixzz1lCbHFsgt)

fezziwig
02-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Arian offenses might be proof that balance is everything and no one would complain if he threw 60% of the time if indeed he had success with it.
He didn't have success. Why not run or pass the ball until the other team stops you ? The $hit head woud never stick with what works or would he ever adjust.
On the radio today they reported Arian said " in all my 37 years of coaching I, was never greeted so well. "
Of course you a$$, do you think the Steelers and their fans were going to throw a party for a receivers coach when they hired you ?

He softly threw the fans and Steeler owners under the bus in his Colts speech. I'm glad he's upset, he's been upsetting Steeler fans and Art II for years.

Slapstick
02-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Bruce gave his new team props...that doesn't mean he had anything to say about the Steelers and their fans...

That's like when Ray Lewis got POed because Jerome Bettis gave props to Takeo Spikes...

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Arian offenses might be proof that balance is everything and no one would complain if he threw 60% of the time if indeed he had success with it.
He didn't have success. Why not run or pass the ball until the other team stops you ? The $hit head woud never stick with what works or would he ever adjust.
On the radio today they reported Arian said " in all my 37 years of coaching I, was never greeted so well. "
Of course you a$$, do you think the Steelers and their fans were going to throw a party for a receivers coach when they hired you ?

He softly threw the fans and Steeler owners under the bus in his Colts speech. I'm glad he's upset, he's been upsetting Steeler fans and Art II for years.

:wft did you expect him to say? I guess second guessing plays isn't enough, now you need to second guess his comments to the team that just hired him.

mazze
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM

:wft did you expect him to say? I guess second guessing plays isn't enough, now you need to second guess his comments to the team that just hired him.

hatred knows no bounds

costanza2k1
02-02-2012, 12:54 PM

I wanted him to say I knew my oline sucked yet still had the WRs run 40 yard routes. He himself put Ben in jeopardy with the number of sacks he had...he should've said I'm proud of being the leader in sacks taken during my 5 years...

fezziwig
02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm not second guessing anything, listen to his interview/speech.

Coaches that been around for 37 years by now should know that, changing jobs is part of the deal.
He should have mentioned his offense was ranked 21st, his redzone stats stink and he has done very little with the talent afforded to him.

Art II has figured him out like many of the defenses and fans.

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm not second guessing anything, listen to his interview/speech.

Coaches that been around for 37 years by now should know that, changing jobs is part of the deal.
He should have mentioned his offense was ranked 21st, his redzone stats stink and he has done very little with the talent afforded to him.

Art II has figured him out like many of the defenses and fans.

OK.... :roll:

feltdizz
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM

I wanted him to say I knew my oline sucked yet still had the WRs run 40 yard routes. He himself put Ben in jeopardy with the number of sacks he had...he should've said I'm proud of being the leader in sacks taken during my 5 years...

I'm pretty sure the Colts have stats, film etc... but yeah, he should also tell them he cheats on his taxes and knows what really went down in Reno and GA. 8)