PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ben getting bashed?

feltdizz
01-26-2012, 10:44 PM
I find it a little odd how everyone is calling Ben out now that Arians is gone. Why didn't people express their frustration with Ben's style of play while Arians was here?

Just seems a little odd hearing Ben get bashed... 4 months ago when people pointed out his flaws half the board would question your loyalty as a fan.

On another note... did anyone see Ben limping at the Pro Bowl? Why is he playing if he is still injured?

pick6
01-26-2012, 11:17 PM
I think people are a little exasperated with the way things have gone as of late. Getting Tebowed can lead to alot of resentment. I probably got a little out of line after that game. People want change and they are tired of this offense doing what they consider to be underachieving. Not saying that its true just recognizing what appears to be a common sentiment.

So when they finally get a piece of the change that many have been calling for for years (getting rid of BA) and Ben comes out as being critical of this move people just don't want to hear it. People don't want to hear I only know one way to play coach. People are sick of it. Ben has so much potential and if he would just be willing to add the short timing pass game to his arsenal we would dominate the NFL. Quick outs, quick slants. and shallow crossing patterns would be a welcome addition. I know he has done this stuff but we need a little more of it in the offense. He has 2 bowl rings. So I guess he's saying can I keep my OC. And many here are saying no you may not.

flippy
01-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Ben's awesome. He's one of the toughest SOBs to ever lace em up for any position on the field. He's super talented. Got a hell of an arm. Great accuracy on the 20-40 yard passes. He's a beast to bring down. And the guy will give you everything he has and is usually clutch.

He may be the most naturally gifted player the league has ever seen. He came out of the womb ready to play.

I honestly think he could be successful without a playbook, gameplan, or OC. He could just huddle guys up, scribble some stuff in the dirt like we did when we were kids, and just make something work.

All that said, I can see why people get frustrated with him. As good as he was from day 1, I think we expected him to get much better by now. To have the same trajectory as every other QB who starts out sucky and becomes a QB.

Honestly, he was so good on day 1, the expectation level was eventually he'll ge to the point where he never loses a game. He'll win every SuperBowl. And we'll put up 100 points a game.

But the reality is, he's pretty much the same as he was on day 1. Of course he's matured. He goes through progressions. He does little things better. But we're in the prime of his career and he's still seemingly squeeking out victories by small margins every week. He does just enough. And I can see how it's enough to drive people nuts.

Are we spoiled sure. And it's Ben's fault for being so naturally talented.

He set the bar sooo high from the start. And I bet Rooney would like to see an OC that can push him higher. Someone who can't be simply satisfied with greatness. I think Rooney kinda gets the pulse of Steeler nation better than we do.

Dresden
01-27-2012, 12:10 AM
I find it a little odd how everyone is calling Ben out now that Arians is gone. Why didn't people express their frustration with Ben's style of play while Arians was here?

Really Dizz,.....really ?

skyhawk
01-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Ben's awesome. He's one of the toughest SOBs to ever lace em up for any position on the field. He's super talented. Got a hell of an arm. Great accuracy on the 20-40 yard passes. He's a beast to bring down. And the guy will give you everything he has and is usually clutch.

He may be the most naturally gifted player the league has ever seen. He came out of the womb ready to play.

I honestly think he could be successful without a playbook, gameplan, or OC. He could just huddle guys up, scribble some stuff in the dirt like we did when we were kids, and just make something work.

All that said, I can see why people get frustrated with him. As good as he was from day 1, I think we expected him to get much better by now. To have the same trajectory as every other QB who starts out sucky and becomes a QB.

Honestly, he was so good on day 1, the expectation level was eventually he'll ge to the point where he never loses a game. He'll win every SuperBowl. And we'll put up 100 points a game.

But the reality is, he's pretty much the same as he was on day 1. Of course he's matured. He goes through progressions. He does little things better. But we're in the prime of his career and he's still seemingly squeeking out victories by small margins every week. He does just enough. And I can see how it's enough to drive people nuts.

Are we spoiled sure. And it's Ben's fault for being so naturally talented.

He set the bar sooo high from the start. And I bet Rooney would like to see an OC that can push him higher. Someone who can't be simply satisfied with greatness. I think Rooney kinda gets the pulse of Steeler nation better than we do.

:Agree :Cheers

SteelCrazy
01-27-2012, 03:25 AM
feltdizz, you remind me of the smartmonies dude, but without all the stats to back up your man love for Ben. :stirpot

DukieBoy
01-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Perhaps Ben's quality of incredible toughness is the same form of stubbornness from which comes his resistance to change. But refusal to change as the context changes is not necessarily a good thing, at least in the perception of many on the board, so they criticize Ben. So, in the face or a poor OL, don't give up the 7-step drops, don't use the 3-step drops, keep the OC, don't use check-downs, lose run-pass balance, etc, and produce a 21st ranked scoring offense that produces poorly in the RZ, etc.

Kind of reminds me of this:

The Swiss lost 90% of the clock and watch market by being blind to a new paradigm in watches. The Japanese took that 90% of the market away because the Swiss were blinded by the way they had made watches for years. The Swiss refused to look at digital timepieces.

feltdizz
01-27-2012, 09:39 AM
feltdizz, you remind me of the smartmonies dude, but without all the stats to back up your man love for Ben. :stirpot

You really are crazy... :D

I'm known as a Ben hater by most of the board because I've complained about holding the ball, not taking what's there, etc....

feltdizz
01-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Really Dizz,.....really ?

Really.... :stirpot

williar
01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
If you love your OC as much as Ben loves Arians, wouldn't you try to ball-out every game, do everything it takes to elevate your game to make him look like a genius, especially knowing that his job was in question? It seemed as though Ben and his relationship with Arians was more important than his performance on the field. All Arians did was cater to Ben instead of doing what was best for Ben and the team. I blame them both for that.

I can't help but go back to the two best performance I thought Ben had last season. NE and Tenn games. Everybody looked good in those games, the OL looked very good. What happened in between those games, I don't know. I guess the selfish Ben couldn't help himself. He just loves to play streetball. He has to be the center of attention..

Steel Life
01-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Until a new OC is hired Ben is our surrogate Arians by default.

Slapstick
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Because people would be so much happier if, when Arians was allowed to pursue free agency, he just said:

http://img.dolaza.com/4/whatever/whatever4.gif

Oviedo
01-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Exactly. The haters hated Arians so much Ben actually having a different opinion (what does he know compared to internet posters) puts him in the crosshairs.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Exactly. The haters hated Arians so much Ben actually having a different opinion (what does he know compared to internet posters) puts him in the crosshairs.

couldn't the same be said for your irrational hatred of lebeau?

if lebeau had not been retained, there would have been a much bigger outcry from the players, IMO.

feltdizz
01-27-2012, 03:56 PM

:Clap

eniparadoxgma
01-27-2012, 05:46 PM

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

hawaiiansteel
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Meeting Rooney a good idea

January 29, 2012
By John Mehno - The Altoona Mirror

PITTSBURGH - Why are people so bent out of shape over Ben Roethlisberger's saying he plans to talk to Art Rooney II soon?

Rooney recently said he'd like to see Roethlisberger "tweak" his style and get sacked less often.

What's wrong with finding out what Rooney has in mind, especially now that he seems to have taken over as football czar on the organizational flow chart?

Rooney and his partners own the team. If he wants to make himself the punt returner, he can do that, of course.

But the best interests of the organization may not be served by having non-football people injecting opinions on football matters.

Of course, the best way to avoid sacks is to get offensive linemen who can pass block so the quarterback isn't running for his life on most snaps.

Let's see if that happens.

http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.d ... ml?nav=751 (http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/557684/Meeting-Rooney-a-good-idea.html?nav=751)