PDA

View Full Version : Steeler brass @ Sr Bowl talks to Boise St OLB Shea McClellin

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
2012 Senior Bowl: Monday Prospect Meetings Report

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Here is a rundown of some of the post-practice interviews between certain players and teams. Many of these interviews are scouts getting the players' number and scheduling longer interviews for later that night or another day.

Jacksonville - Notre Dame safety Harrison Smith

Cincinnati - Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead

Houston - Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams and Boston College cornerback Donnie Fletcher

Pittsburgh - Boise State outside linebacker Shea McClellin

Carolina - Cal offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz and Marshall defensive end Vinny Curry

Denver - Nebraska linebacker Lavonte David, Missouri tight end Michael Egnew and Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore

Kansas City - Ohio State running back Boom Herron, Iowa State cornerback Leonard Johnson and Penn State offensive lineman Johnnie Troutman

San Diego - Marshall defensive end Vinny Curry, Nebraska linebacker Lavonte David, Connecticut defensive tackle Kendall Reyes and Utah State linebacker Bobby Wagner

Oakland - Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead, Washington running back Chris Polk, Penn State defensive end Jack Crawford, Missouri tight end Michael Egnew and Connecticut defensive tackle Kendall Reyes

Baltimore - Boise State outside linebacker Shea McClellin, Iowa wide receiver Marvin McNutt and Ohio State wide receiver DeVier Posey

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2012meetings.php

Shea McClellin, DE, Boise State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 248.
Projected 40 Time: 4.77.
Arm: 31 3/4. Hand: 10 1/8.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

12/26/11: McClellin improved his draft stock with a quality season. He recorded 46 tackles with six sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss and a blocked kick. Aside from playing as a traditional defensive end, McClellin has lined up as both a stand-up rush linebacker and an inside linebacker. Playing all over the front seven took him out of some pass rushing situations and that hurt his production this season. That versatility makes McClellin a good fit for the 3-4 in the NFL. Against a future NFL offensive lineman, Georgia's Cordy Glenn, he was phenomenal. McClellin is quick and strong, plus features a relentless motor. He could make a move up draft boards this season.

8/21/11: Shea McClellin broke into the starting lineup early in his sophomore season and had 36 tackles with six tackles for a loss and thee sacks. Last year, he made a big improvement. McClellin led Boise State with 9.5 sacks. He also contributed 13.5 tackles for a loss. McClellin had one of his best games against one of Boise's best opponents, Virginia Tech. In that contest, he recorded 2.5 sacks, four tackles for a loss, and six tackles. McClellin has a good motor and is a hard worker.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012OLB3-4.php

Sounds like Boise used McClellin this year the way we used Timmons this year.

http://drofdarb.laxallstars.com/files/2011/07/Shea-2-1-532x600.jpg

flippy
01-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Any LB that's 250lbs with athleticism is likely on our radar.

Dresden
01-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Miles Burris.

Steelhere10
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes lets address another OLB, when we need ILB..

steelz09
01-26-2012, 09:01 PM
I like it... someone w/ size and power in the middle.

SteelBucks
01-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I see the Ravens also interviewed him.

Dresden
01-26-2012, 09:10 PM

Burris is capable of playing both inside and Olb in a 3-4 Steel.

And if we also landed Kendricks to get his young Postie on,... IMO i think we could somewhat offset the facts that Potsie is done, Foote is done, Worilds is ridiculous, Timmons is vastly overrated, Sylvester is a career Backup, Wood (though a stud) is inconsistent and Harrison will be 34.

focosteeler
01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I see the Ravens also interviewed him.

:ratsuck

focosteeler
01-26-2012, 09:45 PM
I like it... someone w/ size and power in the middle.

:Agree

Against Cordy Glenn a couple of times so you can see him against a future pro

[youtube:1nbk376c]p3r2_b2pK3k[/youtube:1nbk376c]

papillon
01-26-2012, 11:19 PM
LOLB, ROLB, inside, hand in the dirt, two point stance, the only place he didn't play was NT. One thing is he handles his duties and lets his teammates handle theirs, he never tried to do too much and make a mistake. When he was supposed to set the edge, he set the edge, when he was supposed to get upfield after the QB, he did that, he's going to make a nice pro by the looks of things.

Georgia isn't chopped liver and he played well, at least, in the clips they had on youtube.

Pappy

SS Laser
01-27-2012, 03:15 AM

And if we also landed Kendricks to get his young Postie on,... IMO i think we could somewhat offset the facts that Potsie is done, Foote is done, Worilds is ridiculous, Timmons is vastly overrated, Sylvester is a career Backup, Wood (though a stud) is inconsistent and Harrison will be 34.

Dude you got to quit the Worilds is crap stuff. He is a kid in a man's game at this point.

Did Porter, Haggans, Harrison, Gildon light it up there first 2yrs in the NFL? He is the "future". Same as Hood. No way they were going to see the snaps they have if not for crappy injuries to the beasts. Also I hope that if there was not the lock out he would have been a little more ready.

Will he pan out? I don't know at this point and you do not also. He could be another 2nd round bust I will give you that. But man you got to give some of these guys some time to grow. I will say I don't see him being as good as Woodley. But he can grow into a very good LB for us.

PSU_dropout43
01-27-2012, 03:20 AM
He's white. Good luck with that.

Tomlin doesn't draft white players. :stirpot

See Sean Lee.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Not a surprise. Steelers may be looking at him to play inside out of base. He actually wants to play there. We all know the Steelers look for LB to rush the QB from all positions and from what I'm hearing he can cover and get through traffic. Hmmm....

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/0 ... e_senior_b (http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/01/25/ccripe/florida_running_back_says_secloaded_south_will_dom inate_senior_b)

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/17001034

phillyesq
01-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Yes, a team that relies on its OLBs as the lifeblood of its defense spoke to a college kid at the senior bowl who happens to play that position. This clearly shows an intention to completely abandon any other position of need. The sky is falling!!!

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2012, 09:48 AM

See Sean Lee.

He's drafted a couple. They end up cut though.

Funny we are talking we need a guard & Kraig Urbik will be the starting C for the Bills who were leading the league in rushing for part of last season.

Not trying to :stirpot , just stating facts.

Lets just say I don't plan on including Shea McClellin, Audi Cole, or either of the Wisconsin interior linemen in my mock draft.

feltdizz
01-27-2012, 09:53 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":2svexq2j]He's white. Good luck with that.

See Sean Lee.

Funny we are talking we need a guard & Kraig Urbik will be the starting C for the Bills who were leading the league in rushing for part of last season.

Lets just say I don't plan on including Shea McClellin, Audi Cole, or either of the Wisconsin interior linemen in my mock draft.[/quote:2svexq2j]

part of the season? What part? If it was the first 4 games who cares...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":2gqtc29z]He's white. Good luck with that.

See Sean Lee.

Lets just say I don't plan on including Shea McClellin, Audi Cole, or either of the Wisconsin interior linemen in my mock draft.[/quote:2gqtc29z]

Guys...The only place I would play the "white" card is at CB. It is very hard to find a "quick twitch" white athlete who can run with the big boys. Who cares about the color of skin if they guy could ball? Besides, all the good white athlets find there way to the Patriots. :P Those racist Bastards! :lol:

Slapstick
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
J.J. Watt.

That is a guy who could change opinions on the merits of "white" defenders in the first round.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Yes, a team that relies on its OLBs as the lifeblood of its defense spoke to a college kid at the senior bowl who happens to play that position. This clearly shows an intention to completely abandon any other position of need. The sky is falling!!!

I wouldn't look at it that way. If they are looking at him inside in base...I'm excited to see what the blitz packages will look like in sub packages. ILB is a need...No question. Watch some highlights of him...The guy can get to the QB from any part of the field. He shows the abilty to get in the backfield on running plays and run plays down from behind.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2012, 10:15 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43":1cqx8q6i]He's white. Good luck with that.

See Sean Lee.

Lets just say I don't plan on including Shea McClellin, Audi Cole, or either of the Wisconsin interior linemen in my mock draft.

part of the season? What part? If it was the first 4 games who cares...[/quote:1cqx8q6i]

The first 4 games is 'part' of the season, 1/4 of the season actually. And Fred Jackson was running the ball very well until his injury. They ended the season 5th in yards per rushing attempt.

Steel Life
01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Love this kid...non-stop motor. For the record, I'm in favor of snagging both him & Miles Burris (I posted my mock in an earlier thread) both have the energy & the IQ to play in our defense.

Steel Life
01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Love this kid...non-stop motor. For the record, I'm in favor of snagging both him & Miles Burris (I posted my mock in an earlier thread) both have the energy & the IQ to play in our defense.
The aforementioned mock...

1. Dontari Poe, NT Memphis - Too much raw physical talent to pass up at a position of need.
2. Amini Silatolu, OG Midwestern St. - Dominant small-school prospect that might not make it this far.
3. Brandon Taylor, FS LSU - Good cover skills & a good tackler.
4. Shea McClellin, OLB Boise St. - He's got the size & the motor to back up the OLBs...love this kid.
5. Miles Burris, LB San Diego St. - I know...he's a OLB now, but so was Farrior & the kid can play anywhere.
6. Derrick Dennis, OG Temple - An athletic OL project with a lot of upside...& position flexibility.
7. Kheeston Randall, DE Texas - We need DL back-ups & he projects well as a Steelers 3-4 DE.

UDFA:
Terrance Ganaway, RB Baylor - A runaway train of a RB.
James Carmon, OT Miss. St. - Another athletic OL project (to jettison Jamon Meredith).
Ryan Davis, OLB Bethune-Cookman - Size/speed prospect with a good motor.
Delano Johnson, OLB Bowie St. - Ditto...
Chandler Harnish, QB N. Illinois - MAC QB with a schoolyard game & a good arm...sound familiar?
Gino Gradowski, OG Delaware - Another good lower division OL prospect.
Nate Eachus, RB Colgate - Brian Leonard-style RB...hard runner, good receiver.
Kris Burd, WR Virginia - A player in the Hines Ward mold with some speed...goes over the middle, blocks everyone.

steelz09
01-27-2012, 10:52 AM

See Sean Lee.

You are correct .... :) Tomlin is even trying to fill our QB position w/ black QBs that can't throw the ball.

See Dixon and Troy Smith (waste of a signing)

phillyesq
01-27-2012, 10:55 AM

I wouldn't look at it that way. If they are looking at him inside in base...I'm excited to see what the blitz packages will look like in sub packages. ILB is a need...No question. Watch some highlights of him...The guy can get to the QB from any part of the field. He shows the abilty to get in the backfield on running plays and run plays down from behind.

Even if he was a pure OLB, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the Steelers looking at him. But with the versatility described, he sounds like somebody who could be an excellent fit.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-27-2012, 11:23 AM

See Sean Lee.

You are correct .... :) Tomlin is even trying to fill our QB position w/ black QBs that can't throw the ball.

Kind of silly to be honest. When Ben was facing his suspension didn't they also have talks with Donte Culpepper? Makes no sense to me at all.

Ghost
01-27-2012, 11:27 AM
So Cordy Glenn is a bust?

Slapstick
01-27-2012, 11:44 AM
You mean Troy Smith, the only rookie QB to beat a LeBeau defense?

Dee Dub
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Miles Burris.

Great call Dresden!! Not many people are hip to Miles Burris. He is a freak! Outstanding, non-stop motor, and a flat out chase you down from behind, tackle for loss machine. I will be interested to see what his 40 time is. He plays so fast. Regardless his read and react is off the charts. I think I'd not want to play him inside though. Yes I think he could do it but you'd get more big play from him off the edge.

focosteeler
01-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Miles Burris.

Great call Dresden!! Not many people are hip to Miles Burris. He is a freak! Outstanding, non-stop motor, and a flat out chase you down from behind, tackle for loss machine. I will be interested to see what his 40 time is. He plays so fast. Regardless his read and react is off the charts. I think I'd not want to play him inside though. Yes I think he could do it but you'd get more big play from him off the edge.

i have heard 4.55-4.60, but he looks faster at times. its amazing on tape how many people he runs down from behind

pro day/combine should be interesting since he is a big weight room guy...435 bench, 635 squat. I expect his draft stock to shoot up after his pro-day/combine. Hopefully not though, I would like to steal him late in the draft :D

Dresden
01-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Miles Burris.

I'm knowing homie,. the kid is active to say the least. When i watch him play, i get a young Ray lewis vibe from him in terms of his intensity, motor, strength and athleticism.

I don't care what his 40 time is,....he's an 'impact' backer that plays faster than any i have seen coming out in quite some time. Maybe since Patrick Willis ?

I also like the fact that he has little problem "sifting through trash". He's like a heat seeking missile with little regard for who's attempting to block him. I would not be surprised if some front office pulled the trigger on this kid far sooner than anyone expects.

I agree with you about him probably being better off the edge,...but he's so physical,...i would not be surprised if he could actually go on to be a stud inside with professional coaching and willingness to meet the challenge.

Dresden
01-28-2012, 12:23 AM

Dude you got to quit the Worilds is crap stuff. He is a kid in a man's game at this point.

Did Porter, Haggans, Harrison, Gildon light it up there first 2yrs in the NFL? He is the "future". Same as Hood. No way they were going to see the snaps they have if not for crappy injuries to the beasts. Also I hope that if there was not the lock out he would have been a little more ready.

Will he pan out? I don't know at this point and you do not also. He could be another 2nd round bust I will give you that. But man you got to give some of these guys some time to grow. I will say I don't see him being as good as Woodley. But he can grow into a very good LB for us.

I understand your perspective SS and i have no problem with you at all for that fact. However i do not agree that Worilds will ever be productive in a 3-4 defense. IMO he's a 4-3 Tampa 2 type backer,...much like Timmons was coming out of College.

For the most part,.. the best backers for a 3-4 are not only intelligent and athletic,.... but powerful and explosive. I just do not see that from Worilds at a professional level.

SS Laser
01-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Miles Burris.

I'm knowing homie,. the kid is active to say the least. When i watch him play, i get a young Ray lewis vibe from him in terms of his intensity, motor, strength and athleticism.

I don't care what his 40 time is,....he's an 'impact' backer that plays faster than any i have seen coming out in quite some time. Maybe since Patrick Willis ?

I also like the fact that he has little problem "sifting through trash". He's like a heat seeking missile with little regard for who's attempting to block him. I would not be surprised if some front office pulled the trigger on this kid far sooner than anyone expects.

I agree with you about him probably being better off the edge,...but he's so physical,...i would not be surprised if he could actually go on to be a stud inside with professional coaching and willingness to meet the challenge.

Did you just recommend moving a OLB to inside like Timmons! I think some of the stuff you said about Burris was said about Timmons. Just busten your chops by the way. :lol:

I do like the sound of both of these LB's. Will be paying close attention to LB's at the combine.

Chucktownsteeler
01-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Shea McClellin seems very versitile and has a motor that doesn't stop. Seems like a good fit. Can he play special teams?

ChucktownSteeler

winwithd
01-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Until the 3:08 mark of the video (halfway thru the 3rd Q) I wasn't overly impressed, but McClellin really seemed to step it up in the 4th quarter. Early in the video I thought he looked like Timmons whiffing on a sack.