PDA

View Full Version : Cordy Glenn is the real deal!!

Dee Dub
01-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Mike Shanahan wasn’t kidding last night when he promised that we would see more one-on-one match-ups between DE Quentin Coples and G/T Cordy Glenn, the two best players on the South team. True to his word, the two ended up facing each other on the first four snaps of the 11-on-11 session, while they also went head-to-head on a number of occasions in the one-on-one pass blocking drills. And while each had their moments, the overall decision goes to Glenn who was probably the best player on the field today. Glenn, who lined up primarily at OG the first couple of days at practice, played almost exclusively at LT today and stoned just about every DE he faced including Mel Ingram and Courtney Upshaw on more than one snap. And Glenn put the coup de grace on his performance late in the 11-on-11 session when the offense ran a sweep around his side. Glenn pulled around the TE, raced down field - guys that big are only supposed to lumber in space - and delivered a crunching block on a poor overmatched safety.

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

Coples is considered the best DE in this draft and a possible top 5 pick. Upshaw and Ingram are picks anywhere from 10-20. Let me add this ass well....

Yesterday Heath Evans the former NFL FB who is at the Senior Bowl practice said on the NFL Network that Cordy Glenn has owned, Quinton Coples, Courtney Upshaw, and Melvin Ingram.

When I see Cordy Glenn I dont see a guard. I see as close as one can get to LT Orlando Pace.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-26-2012, 02:44 PM
sadly, we wont have a shot at him without giving up valuable picks.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
I'd still rather trade up for DeCastro than trade up for Glenn.

BigRob
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Sadly, I see him going to Ben's Gals at 17 at the latest, possibly a top 10 to 15 pick in all likely hood.

I see him going even higher than Decastro.

I am starting to think we should trade back into the early 2nd round instead of picking in the first.

Just not anybody I am in love with that will be available at pick 24 except maybe Dontari Poe.

Dee Dub
01-26-2012, 03:04 PM

I'd be ok with either one but I believe Glenn is the greater of the two. He can play LT DeCastro cant. That is a premium position.

BigRob
01-26-2012, 03:06 PM

I'd be ok with either one but I believe Glenn is the greater of the two. He can play LT DeCastro cant. That is a premium position.

More likely in mind we trade back than trade up. I just don't see us getting either one of these blue chippers.

focosteeler
01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Sadly, I see him going to Ben's Gals at 17 at the latest, possibly a top 10 to 15 pick in all likely hood.

I see him going even higher than Decastro.

I am starting to think we should trade back into the early 2nd round instead of picking in the first.

Just not anybody I am in love with that will be available at pick 24 except maybe Dontari Poe.

Depending on how Poe does at the ccombine he may fall into the early 2nd round. I have read a lot that his late 1st round grade is purely based on his athletic potential

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I will have to wait and see after the Senior Bowl to be fair to him. Mayock said he is a G and RT but the jury is still out at LT. I think he has some growing to do in the weight room. I like his arm length & he has decent feet with some weight to convert. You get an OL with arms over 35" and you coach him up on hand placement & quick punch you can negate some of the lazy feet in the kick slide. Just see Max Starks. I would say if he isn't a LT year 1 he definately could grow into that position. That being said...I would only trade up for Decastro because he is polished elite G. Glenn has a higher ceiling "IF" he can play LT at the next level. If Glenn has to stay at G, DeCastro will be the better of the two. If Glenn turns out he can play LT at a high level, obviously his value is greater but that won't be determined until he hits the field on Sundays. The "IF" is the reason I would take him if he is their at #24 but not trade up for him.

phillyesq
01-26-2012, 04:19 PM
This is starting to remind me of Branden Albert. Steelers picked 23rd that year, thought they had a shot at Albert as an OG. Chiefs decided he was an OT, took him at 15, and we ended up with Mendenhall.

Dee Dub
01-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I will have to wait and see after the Senior Bowl to be fair to him. Mayock said he is a G and RT but the jury is still out at LT. I think he has some growing to do in the weight room. I like his arm length & he has decent feet with some weight to convert. You get an OL with arms over 35" and you coach him up on hand placement & quick punch you can negate some of the lazy feet in the kick slide. Just see Max Starks. I would say if he isn't a LT year 1 he definately could grow into that position. That being said...I would only trade up for Decastro because he is polished elite G. Glenn has a higher ceiling "IF" he can play LT at the next level. If Glenn has to stay at G, DeCastro will be the better of the two. If Glenn turns out he can play LT at a high level, obviously his value is greater but that won't be determined until he hits the field on Sundays. The "IF" is the reason I would take him if he is their at #24 but not trade up for him.

What more does one need to see? He dominated at LT in the SEC and at the Senior Bowl he has dominating the best pass rushers. Coples, Upshaw, and Ingram...those are the elite pass rushers who will be very high picks.

Keep in mind Mayock hasnt really sat down and seen much game film on most of these guys. That is per his own admission. I think he is just covering his behind. Mayock took on two new jobs this past football season...Notre Dame games and NFL Network games. He hasnt seen much college tape.

There are trains and then there is the late freights. I suggest ya'all get on this one before ya get passed by.

isonator07
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":114h180i]I will have to wait and see after the Senior Bowl to be fair to him. Mayock said he is a G and RT but the jury is still out at LT. I think he has some growing to do in the weight room. I like his arm length & he has decent feet with some weight to convert. You get an OL with arms over 35" and you coach him up on hand placement & quick punch you can negate some of the lazy feet in the kick slide. Just see Max Starks. I would say if he isn't a LT year 1 he definately could grow into that position. That being said...I would only trade up for Decastro because he is polished elite G. Glenn has a higher ceiling "IF" he can play LT at the next level. If Glenn has to stay at G, DeCastro will be the better of the two. If Glenn turns out he can play LT at a high level, obviously his value is greater but that won't be determined until he hits the field on Sundays. The "IF" is the reason I would take him if he is their at #24 but not trade up for him.

What more does one need to see? He dominated at LT in the SEC and at the Senior Bowl he has dominating the best pass rushers. Coples, Upshaw, and Ingram...those are the elite pass rushers who will be very high picks.

Keep in mind Mayock hasnt really sat down and seen much game film on most of these guys. That is per his own admission. I think he is just covering his behind. Mayock took on two new jobs this past football season...Notre Dame games and NFL Network games. He hasnt seen much college tape.

There are trains and then there is the late freights. I suggest ya'all get on this one before ya get passed by.[/quote:114h180i]

I'm not sure it matters how good Glenn is. With Hoke retiring, Hampton's surgery, and our cap situation probably keeping us out of play in free agency. Can we really not take a NT in round 1?

I think OL is a huge need. We all know we need to upgrade OL, but I think now the most immediate need is NT.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2012, 02:23 AM
Ranking the Senior Bowl’s Top 10 prospects

by Wes Bunting

After three days of practice in Mobile Alabama, the NFP ranks the Senior Bowl’s top prospects for the upcoming NFL draft and breaks down which NFL teams are good fits for each.

1. DE Quinton Coples: North Carolina (6-6, 285)
Possesses the ideal build for a defensive lineman and the game really comes easy to him. He showcases the ability to overpower on contact, be sudden laterally and uses his length well to shed. If he can keep his motor running on high, looks like a top-five caliber talent.

NFL Fits…
Bears
Seahawks
Jaguars

2. OT Mike Adams: Ohio State (6-7, 320)
Looks the part of an NFL left tackle. He showcases good length, moves his feet well through contact and exhibits “plus’ range toward the edge for his size. At times gets himself into trouble “catching” defenders at the point, but has the skill set to mature into a good starting NFL left tackle.

NFL Fits…
Chiefs
Bills
Lions

3. DE Courtney Upshaw: Alabama (6-2, 265)
A physical, compact pass rusher who turns speed into power well off the edge and can overwhelm on contact. Plus, has the versatility to play in both a 34 and 43 front at the next level.

NFL Fits…
Bears
Cowboys
Chiefs

4. CB Janoris Jenkins: North Alabama (5-10, 182)
He was simply the most impressive cover man down here this week. Jenkins displays natural fluidity when asked to turn and run, stays low out of his breaks and is a bear to separate from on all levels of the field. Looks like an NFL starter early on in the NFL.

NFL Fits…
Lions
Bengals
Patriots

5. OG Cordy Glenn: Georgia (6-5, 348)
Glenn had some struggles this week at OT. However, when lined-up inside at guard he was downright dominant. He showcased good natural quickness off the ball, was able to extend his arms and control blockers with ease through contact. Looks like a first round caliber guard prospect to me.

NFL Fits…
Steelers
Cowboys
Cardinals

6. DE Melvin Ingram: South Carolina (6-2, 276)
He’s an impressive pass rusher who can get after the QB in a number of ways. Plus, he’s versatile, as he can be effective from a number of spots and will likely get looks from both 34 and 43 teams.

NFL Fits…
Eagles
Chargers
Packers

7. CB Brandon Boykin: Georgia (5-10, 183)
Despite his lack of ideal height, he’s physical off the line, can turn and run, and did a better job as the week went on staying lower when trying to re-direct. He’s a competitor who loves to get into the face of opposing receivers and was a tough guy to separate from all week.

NFL Fits…
Ravens
Browns
Broncos

8. DT Brandon Thompson: Clemson (6-2, 310)
He demonstrated the first step to consistently gain leverage at the point working the bull rush, kept his pad level down and displayed the ability to shed through contact. He’s got a slight wiggle laterally as well, but is more of a one-gap guy only who can create penetration inside as either a 43 or 34 guy.

NFL Fits…
Packers
Broncos
Panthers

9. RB Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 215)
Martin isn't a dynamic size/speed guy, but there aren't many negatives to his game. He plays fast, runs low, is natural through the line of scrimmage and has a skill set somewhat similar to former Alabama RB Mark Ingram. He might fall a bit because he doesn't run overly well, but he has the skill set to start in the league.

NFL Fits…
Bengals
Jets
Buccaneers

10. QB Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 218)
His age will likely keep him from going as early in the draft as his talents deserve. But, there isn't a throw this guy can't make and he has the skill set and mental make-up to mature into a starter early in his NFL career. Looks like a solid second round type value to me.

NFL Fits…
Redskins
Dolphins
Browns

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ran ... tml&page=2 (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-Senior-Bowls-Top-10-prospects.html&page=2)

focosteeler
01-27-2012, 02:28 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1brxgwiy]I will have to wait and see after the Senior Bowl to be fair to him. Mayock said he is a G and RT but the jury is still out at LT. I think he has some growing to do in the weight room. I like his arm length & he has decent feet with some weight to convert. You get an OL with arms over 35" and you coach him up on hand placement & quick punch you can negate some of the lazy feet in the kick slide. Just see Max Starks. I would say if he isn't a LT year 1 he definately could grow into that position. That being said...I would only trade up for Decastro because he is polished elite G. Glenn has a higher ceiling "IF" he can play LT at the next level. If Glenn has to stay at G, DeCastro will be the better of the two. If Glenn turns out he can play LT at a high level, obviously his value is greater but that won't be determined until he hits the field on Sundays. The "IF" is the reason I would take him if he is their at #24 but not trade up for him.

There are trains and then there is the late freights. I suggest ya'all get on this one before ya get passed by.

I'm not sure it matters how good Glenn is. With Hoke retiring, Hampton's surgery, and our cap situation probably keeping us out of play in free agency. Can we really not take a NT in round 1?

I think OL is a huge need. We all know we need to upgrade OL, but I think now the most immediate need is NT.[/quote:1brxgwiy]

i dont really know if there is a NT worthy of our 1st pick right now.

steeler_george
01-27-2012, 05:03 AM
This is starting to remind me of Branden Albert. Steelers picked 23rd that year, thought they had a shot at Albert as an OG. Chiefs decided he was an OT, took him at 15, and we ended up with Mendenhall.

I :Agree

I wanted Albert then, maybe Glenn does slide to us. This write up, makes him sound as a sure thing either at G, or T, in either case we need both positions.

D Rock
01-27-2012, 07:34 AM

by Wes Bunting

After three days of practice in Mobile Alabama, the NFP ranks the Senior Bowl’s top prospects for the upcoming NFL draft and breaks down which NFL teams are good fits for each.

Glenn had some struggles this week at OT. However, when lined-up inside at guard he was downright dominant. He showcased good natural quickness off the ball, was able to extend his arms and control blockers with ease through contact. Looks like a first round caliber guard prospect to me.

NFL Fits…
Steelers
Cowboys
Cardinals

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ran ... tml&page=2 (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ranking-the-Senior-Bowls-Top-10-prospects.html&page=2)

this is basically perfect. It shows he can potentially be a great guard, but he struggled outside at T. We need a couple Gs more than we do Ts. Hopefully this week keeps him from moving up.

steeler_george
01-27-2012, 07:41 AM

by Wes Bunting

1. DE Quinton Coples: North Carolina (6-6, 285)
Possesses the ideal build for a defensive lineman and the game really comes easy to him. He showcases the ability to overpower on contact, be sudden laterally and uses his length well to shed. If he can keep his motor running on high, looks like a top-five caliber talent.

NFL Fits…
Bears
Seahawks
Jaguars

2. OT Mike Adams: Ohio State (6-7, 320)
Looks the part of an NFL left tackle. He showcases good length, moves his feet well through contact and exhibits “plus’ range toward the edge for his size. At times gets himself into trouble “catching” defenders at the point, but has the skill set to mature into a good starting NFL left tackle.

NFL Fits…
Chiefs
Bills
Lions

3. DE Courtney Upshaw: Alabama (6-2, 265)
A physical, compact pass rusher who turns speed into power well off the edge and can overwhelm on contact. Plus, has the versatility to play in both a 34 and 43 front at the next level.

NFL Fits…
Bears
Cowboys
Chiefs

4. CB Janoris Jenkins: North Alabama (5-10, 182)
He was simply the most impressive cover man down here this week. Jenkins displays natural fluidity when asked to turn and run, stays low out of his breaks and is a bear to separate from on all levels of the field. Looks like an NFL starter early on in the NFL.

NFL Fits…
Lions
Bengals
Patriots

NFL Fits…
Steelers
Cowboys
Cardinals

6. DE Melvin Ingram: South Carolina (6-2, 276)
He’s an impressive pass rusher who can get after the QB in a number of ways. Plus, he’s versatile, as he can be effective from a number of spots and will likely get looks from both 34 and 43 teams.

NFL Fits…
Eagles
Chargers
Packers

7. CB Brandon Boykin: Georgia (5-10, 183)
Despite his lack of ideal height, he’s physical off the line, can turn and run, and did a better job as the week went on staying lower when trying to re-direct. He’s a competitor who loves to get into the face of opposing receivers and was a tough guy to separate from all week.

NFL Fits…
Ravens
Browns
Broncos

8. DT Brandon Thompson: Clemson (6-2, 310)
He demonstrated the first step to consistently gain leverage at the point working the bull rush, kept his pad level down and displayed the ability to shed through contact. He’s got a slight wiggle laterally as well, but is more of a one-gap guy only who can create penetration inside as either a 43 or 34 guy.

NFL Fits…
Packers
Broncos
Panthers

9. RB Doug Martin: Boise State (5-9, 215)
Martin isn't a dynamic size/speed guy, but there aren't many negatives to his game. He plays fast, runs low, is natural through the line of scrimmage and has a skill set somewhat similar to former Alabama RB Mark Ingram. He might fall a bit because he doesn't run overly well, but he has the skill set to start in the league.

NFL Fits…
Bengals
Jets
Buccaneers

10. QB Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 218)
His age will likely keep him from going as early in the draft as his talents deserve. But, there isn't a throw this guy can't make and he has the skill set and mental make-up to mature into a starter early in his NFL career. Looks like a solid second round type value to me.

NFL Fits…
Redskins
Dolphins
Browns

I really like the idea of drafting Glenn; however, he is a senior and for the most part Steelers select underclassmen in the first round. Now who is that underclassman who plays on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball. (last year we selected D, usually alternate)

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2012, 07:45 AM
I really like the idea of drafting Glenn; however, he is a senior and for the most part Steelers select underclassmen in the first round. Now who is that underclassman who plays on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball. (last year we selected D, usually alternate)

http://arrowheadaddict.com/files/2012/01/1-David-DeCastro1.jpg

Gotta trade up to get the best player in the draft at the position of our biggest need, though, like we did for Polamalu and Holmes.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-27-2012, 09:45 AM

I know you like the guy Dub and to give you credit...If my memory serves me correctly....You were the first guy out of the box all over this guy even before the season was over. I don't have to be sold on him as an OL.

Glenn wasn't always dominant on film. He was dominant in games but when the competition got better he played pretty good. Glenn is loosing his battles like everyone else at the Senior Bowl. I have watched some practices and read the print too. There is good and not so good on him but that doesn't mean he can't play....He has shown at the Senio Bowl he is much better on the inside to date. He can be dominant at times and it seems to happen on the inside. However, he did very good at RT in 11 on 11. Don't take 1 on 1 drills as game speed either. There is still aspects of the game that can't be simulated in 1 on 1 but it is a very good tool to evaluate. Mayock has been one of the top guys in this process. I don't think trying to tarnish his credibility because he doesn't agree with you really works. This is also just the start and people's opinions could change through the process.

Glenn isn't a finished product yet either. He needs to dedicate himself to the weight room and shedding-converting some weight would really benefit him. He has the frame & football smarts to really turn into something special no matter where he plays at the next level. I think what will help or hurt him the most after the Seniol Bowl is his combine/workout 10 yard split, cone times, position drills, and his 225 reps. They will be able to guage his agility against everyone else and see where his strength is. They will take a good hard look at his position drills especially the kick slide drill. If his 10 yard split is in the high 1.9's, his 3 cone is in the 7.9 & shuttle above 5, & can't at least be 25 or better in the bench...His stock could take a hit. His tape will keep him in the 1st round.

After all that info is gathered...They may see him as an OG/RT who could grow into a LT with some dedication to conditioning & the weight room at the next level...Instead of a college LT who can play G & RT at the next level. Really, that is where it is at. Right now in this process...There are better LTs in this draft than him and there are better OGs than him. It isn't a knock on him at all. I think you evaluation of him @ #24 is accurate and he may even go higher. Just like my #1 in Poe...They may both be on the board at #24 and the Steelers walk someone elses name up to the podium.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-27-2012, 09:47 AM

http://arrowheadaddict.com/files/2012/01/1-David-DeCastro1.jpg

Gotta trade up to get the best player in the draft at the position of our biggest need, though, like we did for Polamalu and Holmes.

I would "Tebow" if the Steelers landed DeCastro.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I would "Tebow" is the Steelers landed DeCastro.

So would Ben.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/792/498/136577193_display_image.jpg?1326391285

Shawn
01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":i4c0562g]I will have to wait and see after the Senior Bowl to be fair to him. Mayock said he is a G and RT but the jury is still out at LT. I think he has some growing to do in the weight room. I like his arm length & he has decent feet with some weight to convert. You get an OL with arms over 35" and you coach him up on hand placement & quick punch you can negate some of the lazy feet in the kick slide. Just see Max Starks. I would say if he isn't a LT year 1 he definately could grow into that position. That being said...I would only trade up for Decastro because he is polished elite G. Glenn has a higher ceiling "IF" he can play LT at the next level. If Glenn has to stay at G, DeCastro will be the better of the two. If Glenn turns out he can play LT at a high level, obviously his value is greater but that won't be determined until he hits the field on Sundays. The "IF" is the reason I would take him if he is their at #24 but not trade up for him.

I think OL is a huge need. We all know we need to upgrade OL, but I think now the most immediate need is NT.

i dont really know if there is a NT worthy of our 1st pick right now.[/quote:i4c0562g]

You'll just have to trust me on this one. Jerel Worthy will be a special DLman in the NFL. You don't have to be 350# to play NT.

Dee Dub
01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
I love DeCastro as well however if I can get a bonafide blue chip LT I go there first.

Glenn--Legursky--Pouncey--Foster--Gilbert

That doesnt look to bad to me.

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I love DeCastro as well however if I can get a bonafide blue chip LT I go there first.

Except that the guards still suck out loud.

Oviedo
01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Glenn is great which is why any talk of getting him at 1.24 or trading up to get him is pointless. Move on to the next candidate.

I'm looking NT in Round 1 and OG in Round 2.

anger 82&95
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Don Banks has the Steelers taking Glenn...
Pittsburgh Steelers
Cordy Glenn, OG-OT, Georgia. The Steelers are being given Memphis DT Dontari Poe in plenty of mocks, and he makes sense as a replacement for veteran Casey Hampton, who is coming off ACL surgery. But have you seen the state of the Steelers' offensive line the past two seasons? Until convinced otherwise, we consider Pittsburgh's OL issues to be its top priority

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... xid=cnnbin (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/26/mock-draft/index.html?xid=cnnbin)

Dee Dub
01-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Don Banks has the Steelers taking Glenn...
Pittsburgh Steelers
Cordy Glenn, OG-OT, Georgia. The Steelers are being given Memphis DT Dontari Poe in plenty of mocks, and he makes sense as a replacement for veteran Casey Hampton, who is coming off ACL surgery. But have you seen the state of the Steelers' offensive line the past two seasons? Until convinced otherwise, we consider Pittsburgh's OL issues to be its top priority

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... xid=cnnbin (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/26/mock-draft/index.html?xid=cnnbin)

Sorry anger I didnt see your post. I created a thread about this...actually his whole mock draft. sorry.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Gilbert - Glenn - Pouncey - Legursky/Foster - Colon looks better to me

anger 82&95
01-27-2012, 04:04 PM
[quote="anger 82&95":2vl7ydcp]Don Banks has the Steelers taking Glenn...
Pittsburgh Steelers

Sorry anger I didnt see your post. I created a thread about this...actually his whole mock draft. sorry.[/quote:2vl7ydcp]
No worries… Your post actually makes it easier to see the potential pick in context.

hawaiiansteel
01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
You'll just have to trust me on this one. Jerel Worthy will be a special DLman in the NFL. You don't have to be 350# to play NT.

here is WalterFootball's scouting report on Jerel Worthy, they seem to think he would make a better 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE than NT:

2012 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Jerel Worthy

By Charlie Campbell

http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/JWorthy.jpg

Jerel Worthy, 6-3/310

Defensive Tackle

Michigan State

Strengths:

Quick get-off
Speed to shoot the gap
Ability to collapse the pocket
Quality pad level
Bulk to hold ground against drive blockers
Strength to shed blocks
Can take over games and dominate for stretches
Durable, experienced 3-year starter
Passionate player who was devoted to his team

Weaknesses:

Lacks elite characteristics
Not consistent
Disappears at times
Needs to refine pass-rushing moves for NFL guards
Conditioning needs to improve
Bigger reputation than actual production

Summary: Worthy has been one of the better defensive tackles in the Big Ten over the past couple of seasons. In 2010, he notched 40 tackles with eight tackles for a loss and four sacks. Heading into the 2011 season, Worthy was in the running to be the top defensive tackle in the nation. However, he had an inconsistent season, and other defensive tackles passed him, like Penn State's Devon Still. Worthy had 3.5 sacks with 30 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss and two blocked kicks in 2011.

There were stretches in games where Worthy was utterly dominant. When he took on Wisconsin in two games, he would be blocked well for a portion of the game, before wrecking havoc in the backfield for a quarter. Worthy had underwhelming performances against Nebraska, Iowa and Notre Dame. He had a superb showing against Ohio State, and ended his career well against Georgia. Versus the Bulldogs, Worthy got the better of the matchup against Georgia center Ben Jones, a second-day prospect.

Worthy looks like he would be best as a one-gap penetrator in a 4-3 defense. He could play the three-technique in a Tampa-2 defense that requires a quick tackle to fire through the gap. Worthy is at his best when he is trying to get into the backfield to make plays. At the same time, Worthy is a quality run defender at the line of scrimmage. He holds his ground and doesn't get pushed around.

While Worthy probably is a better fit in a 4-3 defense, he could play the five-technique as an end in a 3-4. His ability to hold his ground could set the edge and free up outside linebackers. However, that may not be the best use of his talents.

Player Comparison: Rocky Bernard. Worthy will definitely be drafted ahead of where Bernard went. In the 2002 NFL Draft, Bernard was a fifth-round pick of the Seahawks. That turned out to be an excellent selection, as Bernard has gone to have a successful career with Seattle and the Giants. Even though Worthy will go higher, he has a similar skill set to Bernard and could have a comparable career. Bernard has averaged three sacks per season with an abnormal 8.5 sacks in 2005.

NFL Matches: Denver, New York Giants, Minnesota, St. Louis, Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina

Worthy could fit just about any 4-3 defense that is in need of a defensive tackle. Denver could use a tackle who can push the pocket and take out quarterbacks who try to step up to avoid an edge rush. Minnesota and St. Louis could both use some youth on the interior of their lines. Seattle needs to upgrade their interior pass rush. The Giants are always looking to add to their defensive front, and Worthy could be Bernard's replacement.

The Saints have veterans on the inside of their line, but could use some long-term answers. While Carolina used picks on tackles last year, they both were injured so the Panthers need more at the position for an effective rotation and depth. Worthy could be a quality second-round pick for any of those seven teams.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingr ... worthy.php (http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012jworthy.php)

Dee Dub
01-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Interesting…you would want the team’s best LT to play LG, the team’s best RT to play LT, the team’s best pulling guard to play away from that at RG, and a guy who hasn’t played much of anything at all the past two years to come back and play RT?

That doesn't sound too goo d to me. :nono

I have news for you guys...the Steelers are very pleased with Legursky at LG because he can get out in front and pull. He did a pretty solid job there this year. But I guess many fans didn't notice that?

Dee Dub
01-27-2012, 06:19 PM

here is WalterFootball's scouting report on Jerel Worthy, they seem to think he would make a better 4-3 DT or a 3-4 DE than NT:

2012 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Jerel Worthy

By Charlie Campbell

http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/JWorthy.jpg

Jerel Worthy, 6-3/310

Defensive Tackle

Michigan State

Strengths:

Quick get-off
Speed to shoot the gap
Quality pad level
Strength to shed blocks

Weaknesses:

Not consistent
Disappears at times

Summary: Worthy has been one of the better defensive tackles in the Big Ten over the past couple of seasons. In 2010, he notched 40 tackles with eight tackles for a loss and four sacks. Heading into the 2011 season, Worthy was in the running to be the top defensive tackle in the nation. However, he had an inconsistent season, and other defensive tackles passed him, like Penn State's Devon Still. Worthy had 3.5 sacks with 30 tackles, 10.5 tackles for a loss and two blocked kicks in 2011.

There were stretches in games where Worthy was utterly dominant. When he took on Wisconsin in two games, he would be blocked well for a portion of the game, before wrecking havoc in the backfield for a quarter. Worthy had underwhelming performances against Nebraska, Iowa and Notre Dame. He had a superb showing against Ohio State, and ended his career well against Georgia. Versus the Bulldogs, Worthy got the better of the matchup against Georgia center Ben Jones, a second-day prospect.

Worthy looks like he would be best as a one-gap penetrator in a 4-3 defense. He could play the three-technique in a Tampa-2 defense that requires a quick tackle to fire through the gap. Worthy is at his best when he is trying to get into the backfield to make plays. At the same time, Worthy is a quality run defender at the line of scrimmage. He holds his ground and doesn't get pushed around.

While Worthy probably is a better fit in a 4-3 defense, he could play the five-technique as an end in a 3-4. His ability to hold his ground could set the edge and free up outside linebackers. However, that may not be the best use of his talents.

Player Comparison: Rocky Bernard. Worthy will definitely be drafted ahead of where Bernard went. In the 2002 NFL Draft, Bernard was a fifth-round pick of the Seahawks. That turned out to be an excellent selection, as Bernard has gone to have a successful career with Seattle and the Giants. Even though Worthy will go higher, he has a similar skill set to Bernard and could have a comparable career. Bernard has averaged three sacks per season with an abnormal 8.5 sacks in 2005.

NFL Matches: Denver, New York Giants, Minnesota, St. Louis, Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina

Worthy could fit just about any 4-3 defense that is in need of a defensive tackle. Denver could use a tackle who can push the pocket and take out quarterbacks who try to step up to avoid an edge rush. Minnesota and St. Louis could both use some youth on the interior of their lines. Seattle needs to upgrade their interior pass rush. The Giants are always looking to add to their defensive front, and Worthy could be Bernard's replacement.

The Saints have veterans on the inside of their line, but could use some long-term answers. While Carolina used picks on tackles last year, they both were injured so the Panthers need more at the position for an effective rotation and depth. Worthy could be a quality second-round pick for any of those seven teams.

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingr ... worthy.php (http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2012jworthy.php)

I have heard this all year about him....

----Not consistent
----Disappears at times

And when I saw him play that is exactly what I saw too.

Seriously guys this is one to stay away from.

Do we wan to spend a first rounder if that is a tag he wears? No way Jose!

Eddie Spaghetti
01-27-2012, 06:22 PM
many of the same fans didn't notice foster having a steady year RG either dub. Sucks out loud was mentioned earlier today.

last year we were told that trading up for a G was foolhardy, but now its all the rage.

I would be ecstatic with glenn at 24 because we do need an upgrade there. However as I said last year, you can win a lot of football games without 1st rounders at those positions.

Dee Dub
01-27-2012, 06:31 PM
many of the same fans didn't notice foster having a steady year RG either dub. Sucks out loud was mentioned earlier today.

last year we were told that trading up for a G was foolhardy, but now its all the rage.

I would be ecstatic with glenn at 24 because we do need an upgrade there. However as I said last year, you can win a lot of football games without 1st rounders at those positions.

I agree with you Eddie. I think both Legursky and Foster did well this past year. Are they pro Bowlers? No...but they showed they could be better than average. And how much better would they be if they were surrounded by 3 possible pro bowlers (Glenn, Pouncey, and Gilbert)?

Eddie Spaghetti
01-27-2012, 06:33 PM
we are drinking from the same cup of kool-aid my friend.

steeler_george
01-28-2012, 06:38 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php has:

at 24 us taking Hightower

at 30 SF taking Glenn

at 35 vikings taking Poe

at 49 chargers taking Osemele

at 56 us taking Ta'amu at 56

Just wondering if the draft actually goes down like this, having Glenn (35) and Poe (35) still on the board, would you drop back in the draft and get more picks? and then trade back up and get more players in the second.

I been a fan of doing this for many years, but I think this is the year to do it, since we have issues at depth and need to upgrade along the OL and at NT, not to mention still need to get more talent to push the starters and build for the future.

Don't think it will happen but just say:

Glenn,
Osemele ( for some reason I like what I read about him )
Poe or Ta'amu

I would say it was a great draft.

Chucktownsteeler
01-28-2012, 08:39 AM
I doubt Cordy Glenn will be around when we pick at #24.

I am thinking OL definately, perhaps Peter Konz.

ChucktownSteeler

papillon
01-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Jerel Worthy

Weaknesses:

Not consistent
Disappears at times

Aren't these correctable? Lacks elite characteristics and bigger reputation are irrelevant weaknesses and I'm not even sure what they mean. Not consistent, disappears, refining pass rushing moves are seem to be issues that a coach should be able to correct.

Strengths:

Quick get-off
Speed to shoot the gap
Quality pad level
Strength to shed blocks

Many of these strengths are innate gifts that can't be taught, speed, quickness and power. Then adding coachable qualities that he already has, pad level, good anchor, sheds blocks it seems the good outweighs the bad easily.

It seems he could be a good selection for the Steelers.

Pappy

Oviedo
01-28-2012, 11:18 AM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":1f67b5qm]many of the same fans didn't notice foster having a steady year RG either dub. Sucks out loud was mentioned earlier today.

I agree with you Eddie. I think both Legursky and Foster did well this past year. Are they pro Bowlers? No...but they showed they could be better than average. And how much better would they be if they were surrounded by 3 possible pro bowlers (Glenn, Pouncey, and Gilbert)?[/quote:1f67b5qm]

I guess all that pressure up the middle and the inability to get one yard up the middle was just an illusion. Starks and Gilbert both far exceeded Legursky and Foster. Our short yardage issues are squarely because we have substandard Guards who get pushed and don't get any push.

But I'm sure I'm just a hater because Legs and Foster are UDFAs...waiting to hear that in 3...2....1...

grotonsteel
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":5aksxvy1]many of the same fans didn't notice foster having a steady year RG either dub. Sucks out loud was mentioned earlier today.

I agree with you Eddie. I think both Legursky and Foster did well this past year. Are they pro Bowlers? No...but they showed they could be better than average. And how much better would they be if they were surrounded by 3 possible pro bowlers (Glenn, Pouncey, and Gilbert)?

I guess all that pressure up the middle and the inability to get one yard up the middle was just an illusion. Starks and Gilbert both far exceeded Legursky and Foster. Our short yardage issues are squarely because we have substandard Guards who get pushed and don't get any push.

But I'm sure I'm just a hater because Legs and Foster are UDFAs...waiting to hear that in 3...2....1...[/quote:5aksxvy1]

:Agree

Legs and Foster are serviceable at best. They are good backups.

If ARII wants to return to "blue collar offense" maybe they need to start investing in O-line for a change.

Colbert and company have failed to draft good O-line in later rounds of the drafts. So i am hoping for 2 O-line picks in first 3 rds.

Flasteel
01-28-2012, 11:52 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":2qju1uzm]I love DeCastro as well however if I can get a bonafide blue chip LT I go there first.

Interesting…you would want the team’s best LT to play LG, the team’s best RT to play LT, the team’s best pulling guard to play away from that at RG, and a guy who hasn’t played much of anything at all the past two years to come back and play RT?

I have news for you guys...the Steelers are very pleased with Legursky at LG because he can get out in front and pull. He did a pretty solid job there this year. But I guess many fans didn't notice that?[/quote:2qju1uzm]

With all due respect to your acumen on the subject, everything I've read on Glenn suggests that he is a far better guard than tackle. I don't know jack about the guy, other than what I read, but that's what I read.

It seems the team has pretty much put it out there that Gilbert is the future at LT and that Colon is coming back to compete at RT. I think you'll see an early camp battle between Starks and Gilbert at LT, then the deposed Starks would duke it out with Colon for the RT spot. Certainly there's room for improvement, but 3 pretty good candidates for the 2 starting tackle spots and swing guy.

I believe the biggest need is obviously at guard...despite your assertions to the contrary. Kemo is gone, Legursky is solid but not close to the road-grader we need (and he's always hurt), and Foster is steady but unspectacular in every regard. Feel free to toss Essex into the equation, but it does your argument no good.

So if guard is our biggest need, then why would you draft a guy who is a better guard than he is a tackle, and not try to use this skill set to address our weakest point on the offensive line?

That doesn't sound too good to me. :tt2

Eddie Spaghetti
01-28-2012, 01:02 PM
foster was credited with 3 sacks this year by the site we can't name.

that's not bad, but lets keep bashing this kid because it fits your agenda.

steeler_george
01-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Glenn sounds like the logical OL to select, he has player flexibility. He can play tackle, but regarded by some as a better guard.

As of now our OL are, asssuming Kemo is cut and Starks unsigned:

Gilbert-LEG-Pouncey-Foster-Colon

reserves: ?,?,?,? bunch of no names...
Tackles Meridith, Turner,J.scott
Guards Malecki, C.Scott, Essex(?)

Adding Glenn and putting him at Guard will allow Foster/LEGS to be the legit swingC-G.
Or having him as the next in line for Tackle.

Dee Dub
01-29-2012, 12:04 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3pzw5i59]I love DeCastro as well however if I can get a bonafide blue chip LT I go there first.

I have news for you guys...the Steelers are very pleased with Legursky at LG because he can get out in front and pull. He did a pretty solid job there this year. But I guess many fans didn't notice that?

With all due respect to your acumen on the subject, everything I've read on Glenn suggests that he is a far better guard than tackle. I don't know jack about the guy, other than what I read, but that's what I read.

It seems the team has pretty much put it out there that Gilbert is the future at LT and that Colon is coming back to compete at RT. I think you'll see an early camp battle between Starks and Gilbert at LT, then the deposed Starks would duke it out with Colon for the RT spot. Certainly there's room for improvement, but 3 pretty good candidates for the 2 starting tackle spots and swing guy.

I believe the biggest need is obviously at guard...despite your assertions to the contrary. Kemo is gone, Legursky is solid but not close to the road-grader we need (and he's always hurt), and Foster is steady but unspectacular in every regard. Feel free to toss Essex into the equation, but it does your argument no good.

So if guard is our biggest need, then why would you draft a guy who is a better guard than he is a tackle, and not try to use this skill set to address our weakest point on the offensive line?

That doesn't sound too good to me. :tt2[/quote:3pzw5i59]

With my own eyes I've seen Glenn dominate all year at LT in the SEC. Then he goes to the Senior Bowl and dominates the likes of Coples, Upshaw, and Ingram. The three best pass rushers in this draft. Why anyone would want to put Glenn at guard when he is dominate at a more elite position is beyond me. Again, when I see Glenn I see a pretty close comparison to Orlando Pace. Would you have put Pace at guard?

But it doesnt matter Glenn will be long gone before pick #24.

Oviedo
01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
[quote=hawaiiansteel][quote="Dee Dub":3i9eugvg]I love DeCastro as well however if I can get a bonafide blue chip LT I go there first.

That doesn't sound too good to me. :tt2[/quote:3i9eugvg]

With my own eyes I've seen Glenn dominate all year at LT in the SEC. Then he goes to the Senior Bowl and dominates the likes of Coples, Upshaw, and Ingram. The three best pass rushers in this draft. Why anyone would want to put Glenn at guard when he is dominate at a more elite position is beyond me. Again, when I see Glenn I see a pretty close comparison to Orlando Pace. Would you have put Pace at guard?

But it doesnt matter Glenn will be long gone before pick #24.[/quote:3i9eugvg]

:Agree Highly unlikely we get Glenn which likely means another season of mediocre Guard play and blaming the RBs and new OC for failure to have a consistent offense.

focosteeler
01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Just because we might not get Glenn doesn't mean we won't have an oppourtunity to draft some guys that could really help us.

Brandon Washington, Miami in the 2nd....Lucas Nix from Pitt in the 3rd. I think they would both be good upgrades for us upfront. And with no lockout this summer they should be able to win a starting spot in camp so we could have a consistant group in place all season

Slapstick
01-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Not every good player on the offensive line will be gone by #24...

Glenn or Mike Adams will be ther and the Steelers will be able to pick one of them and improve the line...

ikestops85
01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
:Agree Highly unlikely we get Glenn which likely means another season of mediocre Guard play and blaming the RBs and new OC for failure to have a consistent offense.

Not that I don't think we need to improve the O line but Redman made that mediocre line look fairly decent in the last 2 games.

steelblood
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Just because we might not get Glenn doesn't mean we won't have an oppourtunity to draft some guys that could really help us.

Brandon Washington, Miami in the 2nd....Lucas Nix from Pitt in the 3rd. I think they would both be good upgrades for us upfront. And with no lockout this summer they should be able to win a starting spot in camp so we could have a consistant group in place all season

Philip Blake the center from Baylor also has enough size to play guard. At the Senior Bowl, he played guard and looked good. He laid some crushing down blocks during the game and he moves pretty well. He is good at pass coverage and has that position flexibility.

Dee Dub
01-31-2012, 07:54 PM

Glenn or Mike Adams will be ther and the Steelers will be able to pick one of them and improve the line...

Slapstick, I disagree with you that Glenn will be there. He is a top 15 player. Let's assume I am right about Glenn, what impact player who could come right in on day one would be there at 24?

I dont see that in Mike Adams. Maybe year two but not so sure year one.

Snatch98
01-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Slapstick, I disagree with you that Glenn will be there. He is a top 15 player. Let's assume I am right about Glenn, what impact player who could come right in on day one would be there at 24?

I dont see that in Mike Adams. Maybe year two but not so sure year one.

How many rookies come right in to the Steeler organization and start? It's kind of a moot point no? The rookies we've had start have HAD to start because of injury. It's also a testament to how the Steelers run the team. I'd love to get a crack at Glenn but he could be the next Branden Albert and you may be right. He may go in the top 15.

Chadman
01-31-2012, 11:32 PM
While we are talking about moving OG's to OT's, how about moving a couple of OC's to OG?

2 names- Mike Brewster from Ohio St & Philip Blake of Baylor- both are smart, agile, strong & thickly built. Could they be potential OG's for the Steelers? Any actual insight into their play?

Like some have mentioned before- OG's don't need to be 1st round ability types to succeed. If there is an 'easy' position along the OL- it's OG. Instead of drafting a 1st round OG & making him a LT, would the Steelers be better off finding a 2nd/3rd/4th round OC/OG & having them compete for the OG spots? Even an OT like Bergstrom out of Utah could be a potential OG in the NFL.

Philip Blake-
Pass blocking: Former right tackle possesses the length and footwork to mirror any interior lineman. Plays with low center of gravity, natural bend and lateral quickness. Flashes a strong enough anchor to pancake overextended defenders, but can be pushed backwards when his hands aren't on his man's numbers. Also gets out-quicked when hand placement is off. Reliable, accurate shotgun snapper.

Run blocking: Strong run blocker capable of moving the nose tackle to his left or right with his upper body. Agile enough to seal to either side when uncovered. Inconsistent down-blocking and finding the mike linebacker on combo blocks in tight quarters, gets stuck at the line at times instead of moving to second level. Inconsistent intensity and hand placement to sustain after initial contact. Stops his feet too often, losing his balance or allowing his man comes off his block. Stays low, gets some movement in short-yardage situations but typically just holds the line.

Pulling/trapping: Does not move behind the line often. Flashes the quickness and agility to pull from either the center or guard spots, but seems best staying inside due to lack of height and inconsistency hitting targets.

Initial Quickness: Gets his hands onto his man quickly after shotgun snap. Flashes quickness out of his stance and the footwork to attack defensive tackles on stretch plays. Reaches instead of moving his feet after the snap at times, allows quicker tackles to penetrate into the A-gap.

Downfield: Possesses the foot quickness to get in front of screens and reach linebackers, and is difficult to get around with his wide body and length if in balance. Struggles to hit targets in the open field, however, and lacks agility to adjust to quicker linebackers in space. Uses length to knock a defender off his route to the ball but does not sustain for long enough.

Intangibles: Older than the typical prospect (26 in November 2011). Played in secondary school in Canada, Canadian college and junior college before attending Baylor. Plays with some attitude, gets on top of defenders on the ground, but needs to play through the whistle more consistently.

Mike Brewster-
Pass blocking: Possesses quickness and strength to protect the passer at the next level. Takes two or three steps back immediately after snap if uncovered. Good anchor despite relatively svelte build. Twisting ends run into a wall when greeting him, also has a strong punch to shock oncoming defenders. Will take defenders to the ground if off-balance. Usually extends his arms quickly after the snap to maintain distance but allows defenders to get into his chest at times. Feet stay planted after initial contact, giving up penetration against better tackles on occasion.

Run blocking: Positional blocker with good feet to wall off outside shoulder of defensive tackle. Can move to either side of the defender while engaged. Gets low in short-yardage situations despite his height, gets good push. Still learning to get off initial down-block to reach linebackers on combo blocks.

Pulling/trapping: Best in tight quarters, but shows some mobility behind the line when pulling. Most adept at attacking players straight-up, lacks great flexibility and elite quickness enough to adjust to inside targets and negate them.

Initial Quickness: Rarely beaten off the snap in pass protection. Gets hands onto his man's jersey quickly after both traditional and shotgun snaps. Quicker one-on-one defenders can occasionally get a second step forward to bring interior pressure.

Downfield: Athletic enough to take out mike linebacker off the snap if asked to do so. Possesses the tenacity and strength to eliminate any type of defender in way of his ballcarrier. Hesitates instead of attacking targets on combo blocks, though, and lacks elite quickness to adjust to targets in space.

Intangibles: Graduated from high school early to enroll at Ohio State but did not partake in spring practices due to surgery on right shoulder. Decided to return to school despite the cloud hanging over the program to become a better center and a team leader. Played through ankle injury in 2009.

Prowler
02-01-2012, 12:55 AM
I think Cordy Glenn will be a bust. Did anyone watch game film of him being abused by the DL of Boise? He might be able to be a road grader but in pass protection he will suffer at the next level. Besides this, we already have a LG on our team similar to Glenn, who lost his job earlier in the year because of his poor play. We don't need another guy who can't pass protect.

Another player I would avoid like the plague that I keep hearing mentioned as a possible Steeler draft pick is Ta'amu from Washington. I would not choose any NT from a defense that gave up 69 points and 482 yards rushing in a bowl game against Baylor.. No way, besides this he is an out of shape, low endurance guy.

I find Dontari Poe a much better candidate than the fat guy from Washington. From what I have read he's a workout warrior and has the best technique to play NT in the 3-4. Wish I had some film on the guy though.

Soon I will post my mock draft so that I can be mocked to.

Dee Dub
02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
I think Cordy Glenn will be a bust. Did anyone watch game film of him being abused by the DL of Boise? He might be able to be a road grader but in pass protection he will suffer at the next level. Besides this, we already have a LG on our team similar to Glenn, who lost his job earlier in the year because of his poor play. We don't need another guy who can't pass protect.

A bust? Prowler you are better than this. You are going to base this on the first game he played at LT in over 2 years? In 2010 he was at LG all year. In 2009 he went back and forth from RG, LT, and LG. His freshman year he played entirely at LG. I can assure you, as the year went on Glenn got much better. He was dominate in the game versus LSU. That is a pretty good team who has some future NFL players on defense.

But dont take my word listen to what experts had to say of him at the Senior Bowl week.

Mike Shanahan wasn’t kidding last night when he promised that we would see more one-on-one match-ups between DE Quentin Coples and G/T Cordy Glenn, the two best players on the South team. True to his word, the two ended up facing each other on the first four snaps of the 11-on-11 session, while they also went head-to-head on a number of occasions in the one-on-one pass blocking drills. And while each had their moments, the overall decision goes to Glenn who was probably the best player on the field today. Glenn, who lined up primarily at OG the first couple of days at practice, played almost exclusively at LT today and stoned just about every DE he faced including Mel Ingram and Courtney Upshaw on more than one snap. And Glenn put the coup de grace on his performance late in the 11-on-11 session when the offense ran a sweep around his side. Glenn pulled around the TE, raced down field - guys that big are only supposed to lumber in space - and delivered a crunching block on a poor overmatched safety.

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

Heath Evans the former NFL FB, along with Charles Davis and Mike Mayock who were at the Senior Bowl practice said on the NFL Network that Cordy Glenn has owned, Quinton Coples, Courtney Upshaw, and Melvin Ingram.

Coples, Upshaw, and Ingram are all top 10 or top 15 picks in this draft. The best pass rushers this draft has to offer. And Glenn not only handled them but scouts and ex-NFL people said he was dominate against them.

In Glenn's first full year at LT, playing in the SEC, I think he was dominate. And I saw every one of his games.

Give Glenn more time at LT and you'll have as close to Orlando Pace as you can get.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
After watching him in the Senior Bowl...I got more comfortable in one aspect but more concerned in another. He looked better than I expected at LT...Which wasn't dominant but still looked like a 1st rounder. What concerned me is his play at LG. Ta'amu is the NFL material he will face on Sundays and he struggled against him. Glenn couldn't reach him going away...He couldn't turn him out of the hole...And he played with no leverage. Glenn allowed himself to get pushed back at times. He did look pretty good on the 2nd level sealing off LBs. I wish I could have seen alot more of him pulling and trapping at G. That all being said...I believe he could get better if G is his position. Glenn seems like he needs to get stronger up top so he doesn't get bent backwards and let the DTs gain leverage. He needs to lower his pad level when inside. I definately agree with the experts he could play RT and I am more optimistic with some work he could be a LT. I'm just not so sure he would be a plug & play at G at the next level out of the box. Maybe at LG but I don't think at RG until he gets stronger and works on his technique.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Another player I would avoid like the plague that I keep hearing mentioned as a possible Steeler draft pick is Ta'amu from Washington. I would not choose any NT from a defense that gave up 69 points and 482 yards rushing in a bowl game against Baylor.. No way, besides this he is an out of shape, low endurance guy.

I find Dontari Poe a much better candidate than the fat guy from Washington. From what I have read he's a workout warrior and has the best technique to play NT in the 3-4. Wish I had some film on the guy though.

Soon I will post my mock draft so that I can be mocked to.
I don't think Glenn will be a bust. I think his ceiling is unknown but his floor is set. He is a good football player that has the frame they look for and enough athleticism to work with. He just isn't a finished product yet because he moved all over.

Ta'amu got my attention too. If it isn't Poe @ #24 I would be very pleased with him in the 2nd.

Dee Dub
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM
After watching him in the Senior Bowl...I got more comfortable in one aspect but more concerned in another. He looked better than I expected at LT...Which wasn't dominant but still looked like a 1st rounder. What concerned me is his play at LG. Ta'amu is the NFL material he will face on Sundays and he struggled against him. Glenn couldn't reach him going away...He couldn't turn him out of the hole...And he played with no leverage. Glenn allowed himself to get pushed back at times. He did look pretty good on the 2nd level sealing off LBs. I wish I could have seen alot more of him pulling and trapping at G. That all being said...I believe he could get better if G is his position. Glenn seems like he needs to get stronger up top so he doesn't get bent backwards and let the DTs gain leverage. He needs to lower his pad level when inside. I definately agree with the experts he could play RT and I am more optimistic with some work he could be a LT. I'm just not so sure he would be a plug & play at G at the next level out of the box. Maybe at LG but I don't think at RG until he gets stronger and works on his technique.

Good stuff JPN. I agree with most of this. I think for what you point out makes Glenn better suited as a LT. He needs to play in space and use his strength...his quick feet, quick set up, and his long arms. Playing inside makes him have to rely more on his physical strength and his push.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Good stuff JPN. I agree with most of this. I think for what you point out makes Glenn better suited as a LT. He needs to play in space and use his strength...his quick feet, quick set up, and his long arms. Playing inside makes him have to rely more on his physical strength and his push.

You could really see he knows how to use those long arms and he has a good punch. That is the reason I think he struggled a little inside against Ta'amu. Ta'amu played extrememly well and is stout in the lower body. Glenn's long arms work against him inside because he needs to add some strength but that will happen. It's hard to lock out with a big boy on you with that wingspan. In pass pro he did good inside and you could see those long arms were problems for LBs on the second level run blocking because he locked on them and shielded them from the hole...The LBs had trouble shedding him. A little work on that kick slide....Some work in the weight room...He isn't that far off from LT. Some playing time and coaching his technique will come easy. Just watch that weight...Looked pretty good now.

hawaiiansteel
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/cbss/ui5/authors/headers/10471.jpg

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nfl/logos/50x50/PIT.png Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia: The Steelers seemingly patch up their offensive line annually, only to struggle with injuries and consistency up front. Glenn lacks the consistency to earn a first round grade from all clubs, but the 6-5, 350-pounder has the size the Steelers prefer upfront and, as a rare four-year starter with experience at left tackle, left guard and right guard he has the durability and versatility the team prioritizes on draft day. Roethlisberger was sacked five times against the Broncos.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfld ... ut-RobRang (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfldraftscout-RobRang)