PDA

View Full Version : Does Mendy have a leg to stand on?

SteelCrazy
01-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Apparently the FO wants to return to a ground and pound team, so where does that leave Mendy? He's not a physical runner in my opinion, like a Redman or a Bettis. Do you think they could cut Mendy and save a minimal amount towards the cap (highly doubtful) and go with a hard pounding runner or do you believe they are satisfied with him and possibly re-sign him depending on his performance?

Oviedo
01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't think there is a problem with Mendy's running style nor do I believe that Art II has a problem.

I think what Art II wants to emphasize is having an OL that can dominate and win in the trenches not the two "Keystone Cops" we have for Guards right now. Fix the ability of the OL to get push in short yardage situations and open holes and all our RBs will excel.

Our success in the past has always been because we had an OL that could control the LOS and not be pushed in three different directions on every play. I believe that is what Art II wants to see and not a return to the 1970s where we are running 60% of the time. If he wants the latter then we are truly screwed.

phillyesq
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't think there is a problem with Mendy's running style nor do I believe that Art II has a problem.

I think what Art II wants to emphasize is having an OL that can dominate and win in the trenches not the two "Keystone Cops" we have for Guards right now. Fix the ability of the OL to get push in short yardage situations and open holes and all our RBs will excel.

Our success in the past has always been because we had an OL that could control the LOS and not be pushed in three different directions on every play. I believe that is what Art II wants to see and not a return to the 1970s where we are running 60% of the time. If he wants the latter then we are truly screwed.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think Art II and the FO are looking for a balanced offense that has the ability to run effectively, not a return to three yards and a cloud of dust.

I'm not a big fan of Mendy's running style. I think he dances a bit too much.

The Steelers said that they are going to wait and see on Mendenhall, which is the right move. No rush to resign a RB coming off ACL surgery.

hawaiiansteel
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
does anyone think we might draft a RB high if a good one is still available?

feltdizz
01-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I wonder what our approach will be in this draft. Our OL isn't dominating anyone but it sure looked like everyone but Mendenhall could run behind our OL. He's never going to see the holes like in college.

I know Arians loved Mendenhall... I wonder if Art II feels the same way.

I loved the Mendenhall pick but he hasn't lived up to the hype IMO.

Oviedo
01-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Terrance Ganaway from Baylor (6' 240lbs) is the guy I would love to see us get mid- to late in the draft. I watched a couple of their games and the kid is a beast and showed some real good speed in the open field. He doesn't have huge stats because the offense was all about RG3 but I think he is one of those guys that can be much greater as a Pro than he was in college.

Slapstick
01-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Some of the more high-powered offenses in the NFL are both persistent and consistent in the running game, featuring RBs who were drafted late or undrafted (Pierre Thomas, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, James Starks) who simply average 4+ YpC...

I don't know that Mendenhall is that kind of RB, but if he is to help the Steelers offense progress, I think he'll need to be as much a receiver as a runner...

steeler_george
01-25-2012, 11:08 AM
As much as I like Mendy, he is irreplaceable, so is Redman, and Morre. I am basing this on the state of the OL, which is horrible, you could put Bettis, Barry Foster, and Walter Payton behind this line and the result would of been the same.

Another thing, having the "young money crew" as the strength of our offense, we only need a complimentary run game, say how the Pats and may be just how the Colts did it with out James. They actually use the RB in the passing game as well as running. But don't get me wrong, a running game is very important to keep defenses honest.

THIS DRAFT IS GOING TO BE VERY IMPORTANT, IF WE DO NOT RESTRENGTHEN OUR LINE WE WILL BE 3RD IN THE AFCN BEHIND THE RAVENS AND THE BANGLES FOR YEARS TO COME!

I want 2 OL in the first 3 round. I know it is not the Steeler way to select by position over BPA.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Look at the last half-dozen Super Bowls.

Who was the leading rusher in the Super Bowl for the winning team?

XLV James Starks (Round 6)
XLIV Pierre Thomas (UDFA)
XLIII Willie Parker (UDFA)
XLII Ahmad Bradshaw (Round 7)
XLI Dominick Rhodes (UDFA)
XL Willie Parker (UDFA)

And since neither team in this year's Super Bowl has any premium RB draft picks, that will make it 7 years in a row that the championship team will have a leading rusher in the Super Bowl who was a late round pick or an undrafted free agent.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-25-2012, 08:46 PM

XL Willie Parker (UDFA)

And since neither team in this year's Super Bowl has any premium RB draft picks, that will make it 7 years in a row that the championship team will have a leading rusher in the Super Bowl who was a late round pick or an undrafted free agent.
Awesome post. Maybe spending a high pick on a running back is a dumb idea in today's NFL.

fezziwig
01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
To me Mendenhall looks like he is big enough or physical enough to muscle up but, is it he just doesn't want to put his shoulder down or isn't he capable ?

If we could keep both him and Redman it would be sweet. Redman to soften up the defense and Mendenhall to juke them when they are tired.

Dresden
01-26-2012, 12:15 AM

XL Willie Parker (UDFA)

Awesome post. Maybe spending a high pick on a running back is a dumb idea in today's NFL.

It's always a dumb idea to draft a RB in the 1st round unless the guy is a once in a generation type player whose productivity at the collegiate level almost demands that they are a top ten pick.

And even then,..the level of the across the board athleticism of the league today dictates that you will still need a great two back system in order to dominate on the ground consistently.

Bottom line,...you can most certainly find productive, "hungry" and or highly motivated player/players at the RB position in nearly every round after one.