PDA

View Full Version : Arians Speaks

SteelCrazy
01-24-2012, 12:53 AM
York, PA - It's not that Bruce Arians doesn't like the idea of retirement.

But right now?

For now, call it only a possible retirement. Maybe a temporary one.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers and team president Art Rooney II failed to offer him a contract renewal last week, the William Penn graduate didn't have another option.

Certainly, he will make the best of things. Arians owns a home on a lake in Greensboro, Ga. He loves to play as much golf as he can. He wants to fish.

He is intrigued by helping underprivileged kids, kids without guidance or direction. His wife works as a court-appointed special advocate, and he'd like to get involved with that, too.

He also wants to live long enough to do something other than coach, the only career for the 59-year-old since he graduated from Virginia Tech. He beat prostate cancer two years ago, and that still shakes him up at times.

"I was not going to die on the football field," is what Arians said he promised himself.

"I compare things to Joe (Paterno). I mean, God bless him, but I also saw what happened to Coach (Bear) Bryant less than six weeks after he retired. I don't want to do that. I want to see what else there is."

But right now?

Arians put it this way: While he maintains he had considered retiring before, "when I wasn't offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me."

The Steelers simply did not want him to return for a sixth season running the offense.

And Rooney didn't give him a reason why.

"I can't answer that question. Only the people there can. That's the business. I know the job we did as a staff. I don't have any regrets."

The Steelers were coming off back-to-back 12-4 regular seasons, and they reached last year's Super Bowl. Plus, the passing game thrived behind Ben Roethlisberger and the dynamic receiving duo of Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown -- all three making the Pro Bowl.

Even the maligned running game posted an improved 4.4 yards-per-carry average last fall.

Roethlisberger, in particular, is very close to Arians. The two live near one another in Georgia. The quarterback has credited Arians for much of his success and publicly campaigned for him after the 2009 season when it appeared as if Arians' job was in jeopardy.

"He's not happy, but that's part of the business," Arians said. "He is happy for me. He lives around the corner and we'll still see each other a lot. The phone is always there when he needs me."

Arians also seemed close to head coach Mike Tomlin.

"My door is always open to him. I respect him a ton," Arians said. "I enjoyed our relationship and learned a lot. It was great watching him grow and working with him."

Arians said he will miss the relationships with the players and coaches because "the daily interaction with the guys is fantastic. It keeps you young, and it's fun. That part I will miss. It's a great group of young players in Pittsburgh that was fun to coach and will be really good, and I'm looking forward to watching them.

"The thrill of the games is always something you will miss . . . I will miss the camaraderie in the locker room."

Arians hasn't ruled out a return to coaching.

Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said.

"But I'd put my record up against any of them."

He did admit to being contacted by "five or six" new coaching job possibilities since being let go by the Steelers, although only one was intriguing. He declined to get into specifics.

So, for now, his 37-year coaching career is on hold. Along the way was a head coaching stint at Temple, the opportunity to develop a young Peyton Manning in Indianapolis and chances to coordinate offenses in Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Although he would like to stay in the NFL, "I would say if the right hot young (college) coach needed someone like I did at Temple . . .

"I was 30 and I hired Paul Davis, and after a loss I would close the door and rant and rave and tear things up and he'd say, 'So, you wanted to be a head coach, huh?'"

For now, Arians said he will collect his NFL retirement money and golf and fish and maybe work with kids.

And probably sit around and watch the Steelers on TV, with no one to coach.

If only for one season.

Pittsburgh "was my longest stay, and I had a blast. I got to call plays in the Super Bowl twice and win one, and I wouldn't trade that for anything."

http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_19803396

SteelCrazy
01-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Sounds like a really good guy. Too bad he couldnt get the offense to score. I hope this doesnt cause problems with players and coaches against he front office.

Chadman
01-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Well, that seals it doesn't it? It obviously wasn't Tomlin's call.

Arians was axed from "Above".

Chadman can understand frustration with some of Arians' ideas- his wasn't the 'typical' Steelers Offense- but Chadman suspects in a year or two we might realise what we had wasn't all that bad either.

A good OL may have gone a long way to making Arians a success in Pittsburgh.

Hell- can you honestly say a guy that won a SB, played in another, and had record recieving yards achieved wasn't a success?

SS Laser
01-24-2012, 03:26 AM
I wonder if this was going to happen last year if there would not have been a lockout?

Starlifter
01-24-2012, 06:37 AM
the primary justification I have used for my critique of BA over the years stemmed from the fact he was never coveted by other teams - specifically as HC material. He confirms it by his own words saying he applied but was not even interviewed. I'm sure age IS a factor but it didn't stop chan gailey. It's also important to realize there IS a progression in coaching. He's been on OC before and moved up and down the ranks. His resume has been before the league for many years. We may hire a new OC who also isn't considered HC material - but it may be because they are still climbing the ladder, not stuck 1 rung from the top.

It also looks like he may be the cardinals QB coach. I think that largely depends on if Peyton goes to arizona.

ultimately however, as fans few of us if any understand the game on a professional level. That's why I have always used the above. I'm sure he's a great guy and a good coach. I don't think he's done anything spectacular or exceeded expectations. His peers seem to agree.

He'll land on his feet and coach again I'm sure. And he'll probably be pretty good. I'm just hoping we can go from middle of the road as an offense to something prolific and envied. We have some splash players. let's fix the o-line (finally), stop playing street ball and see what they can do.

SteelBucks
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Sounds like a really good guy. Too bad he couldnt get the offense to score. I hope this doesnt cause problems with players and coaches against he front office.

Personally, I could care less what the players think. Most of the time when players leave in FA, they say they made a business decision. Well, Rooney just did the same. I don't expect any problems.....unless, of course, the offense is ranked worse than #21 in scoring next season! :wink:

steelblood
01-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Arians always got a raw deal from the fans. He improved this offense and helped us win a championship. No, he was far from perfect and we did not score as much as we should. But, he was a good coordinator no matter how much many would like to deny it. The Steelers may live to regret this decision.

Ghost
01-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Arians always got a raw deal from the fans. He improved this offense and helped us win a championship. No, he was far from perfect and we did not score as much as we should. But, he was a good coordinator no matter how much many would like to deny it. The Steelers may live to regret this decision.

But he didn't get fired by the fans. Do you think the Rooney's were influenced by message boards and reporters? Instead of assuming there might be regret; why not make the assumption the owners/front office know exactly what they are doing, are good at their jobs and this situation will only improve?

drprwnap
01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview.

http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_19803396

That says it all. If he was so good, wasn't that bad, ect. then why could he even get an INTERVIEW?? Maybe because knowldegeable NFL people saw that the Steelers win regardless of BA. Don't forget, this team has been to Super Bowls with different OC's. Maybe it wasn't the OC but the talent of the team that got them there!

Eich
01-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Interesting read.

What exactly would he do as the QB coach of Peyton Manning? Why would he event want such a job unless he needs the money? How would that get him any closer to being a head coach if that's really what he wants?

fezziwig
01-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Art II has been around long enough to know football and to know that, he has a lot of talent on his team that should be having more production. I also doubt Art was fond of the idea that Bruce and Ben were so buddy buddy. At some level you need to know the pecking order of leadership. Ben mentioned if he doesn't like the plays, Arian would change them. If that's the case, why have an OC ? Not to say Ben doesn't get to have some input but again, the coach coaches and the players play.
Maybe Art didn't like the idea of having an injured Ben throwing 40 times.
Maybe Art wondered why we have Charlie Batch collecting a check when, a banged up Ben is going to get the nod anyway ?

Also, maybe Tomlin and Arians were too buddy buddy for Tomlin to interject ?

Art didn't say to my knowledge that he wants the Steelers to be a three yard runing team and a cloud of dust. He said he would like the running game to be more productive.

Arians got his weapons, got to submit his style but his style wasn't putting up points.

We have the ingredients of talent on this team to put up big points but we haven't gotten it done. Time for a new cook.

Art did the job that Tomlin should have done.

Also, to say changing the OC is going to be a set back for Ben or the team is wild, the niners didn't have any troubles warming up to new coaches and schemes.

Discipline of Steel
01-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Hell- can you honestly say a guy that won a SB, played in another, and had record recieving yards achieved wasn't a success?

Just a small point, didnt every team post record passing stats this season?

fezziwig
01-25-2012, 09:28 AM
The title of this thread reminds of a person holding a biscuit up to make a dog speak.

feltdizz
01-25-2012, 11:11 AM

Just a small point, didnt every team post record passing stats this season?

I think he is talking about more than this season....

SteelCrazy
01-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Rooney tiptoes around Arians dismissal in interview

Steelers president Art Rooney II offered a slightly different version about Bruce Arians' departure than the official announcement by the team last week that the offensive coordinator had retired.

In a video interview on the team's website, Steelers.com, Rooney answers a question about reports and comments made by Arians that he retired only after Rooney refused to renew his contract. The Post-Gazette reported that coach Mike Tomlin told Arians he wanted him back and that Arians wanted to return.

"I think the questions of how we got here are not really relevant," Rooney said. "Mike has begun the search for our next offensive coordinator and he'll do a good job finding the right person. We'll go through the process and interview the right cnadidates. We're looking to improve on offense and have sommebody possibly to be in place for a number of years.

"Bruce had talked about retirement for a few years now. I think it was time for a change, and we're looking forward to moving on."

Also in the interview on Steelers.com, Rooney said that while Nike will earned the rights to produce all NFL teams' uniforms starting in 2012, fans will see no changes in the Steelers uniform. He did say, however, that the team will introduce a new throwback jersey for 2012

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025/12 ... z1kVe1ARpn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025/1205966-100.stm#ixzz1kVe1ARpn)

fezziwig
01-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Steelers president Art Rooney II offered a slightly different version about Bruce Arians' departure than the official announcement by the team last week that the offensive coordinator had retired.

In a video interview on the team's website, Steelers.com, Rooney answers a question about reports and comments made by Arians that he retired only after Rooney refused to renew his contract. The Post-Gazette reported that coach Mike Tomlin told Arians he wanted him back and that Arians wanted to return.

"I think the questions of how we got here are not really relevant," Rooney said. "Mike has begun the search for our next offensive coordinator and he'll do a good job finding the right person. We'll go through the process and interview the right cnadidates. We're looking to improve on offense and have sommebody possibly to be in place for a number of years.

"Bruce had talked about retirement for a few years now. I think it was time for a change, and we're looking forward to moving on."

Also in the interview on Steelers.com, Rooney said that while Nike will earned the rights to produce all NFL teams' uniforms starting in 2012, fans will see no changes in the Steelers uniform. He did say, however, that the team will introduce a new throwback jersey for 2012

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025/12 ... z1kVe1ARpn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025/1205966-100.stm#ixzz1kVe1ARpn)

That clip you have of that women falling, comical as it seems she, had to get messed up pretty badly.

SteelCrazy
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM

That clip you have of that women falling, comical as it seems she, had to get messed up pretty badly.

Yeah, I need to change it. I put it up in anger after we got Tebowed.

fezziwig
01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
no need to change it, it's funny.

SteelCrazy
01-25-2012, 07:12 PM

too late......... here it is if you want it
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/213.gif

fezziwig
01-25-2012, 07:48 PM

too late......... here it is if you want it
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/213.gif[/quot

I just checked out the full video on YouTube.

JDSteeler
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Arianus can boo friggin hoo all the way out of Pittsburgh!!!

F him and his RUTFM crap of a playbook!!!

Couldnt stand him when he was the OC, and even more now!!

Go blow it out your friggin @$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD